Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 306505 times)

guido23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2020, 11:07:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #720 on: August 26, 2019, 02:24:24 pm »
That's a good suggestion and thanks for the specific recommendation. One challenge I have is that I'm not handy at all, so conducting my own repairs always carries with it the risk of making matters worse!

Still, I'm impatient, so last night I tried to repair with super glue (cyanoacrylate esters). It seemed relatively sturdy after I let it set for five minutes but then the piece broke back off while I was inserting it into the assembly - which is an intentionally tight fit.

This morning I tried a version of loctite that uses a different chemical. I will let this one cure for 24 hours before trying to insert it into the assembly. Both the superglue and the loctite list some types of plastics for which they are not effective but I don't know enough about plastic to categorize these title pages. If the loctite fails, I will try the epoxy, per your suggestion.

A couple of notes:
* Although this piece isn't load bearing, it does take on a nontrivial amount of torque from the gimmal used for flipping pages.
* The numbers seem not to be on the plastic pages themselves; they seem to be stickers. Thus, if I replaced the page, I could try removing the stickers and adding them to the new page or finding replacement stickers, or creating substitute stickers.

bill55

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 29, 2024, 11:55:32 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #721 on: August 27, 2019, 08:42:41 am »
I have a Rowe CD-100C and am having a strange issue.

When powered on the display shows 'CHECKSUM = A500', the says 'RAM TEST PASSED'. Everything looks normal and I can play stuff. After a random amount of time (Maybe after it starts getting warm) the machine seems to reset itself in the middle of playing. I will get the same power on messages ( 'CHECKSUM = A500' and 'RAM TEST PASSED') every time it does so. Sometimes the disc has to find its spot again to continue playing (You can hear it seeking). Other times the audio seems to drop and it picks right back up after the 2 messages are displayed. It will continue to do this once it starts happening. It may not start doing it for an hour. Other times 15 minutes. It's almost like switching the power off and back on super fast. The lights don't go off, but the boards seem to restart each time.

It's so frustrating because if I have people over it never fails that after it being on it starts to screw up more and more to the point i just need to turn it off.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Thanks!
Bill

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #722 on: August 27, 2019, 11:11:10 am »
Check for broken solder joints in the power supply and CCC.

a couple screws and the power supply comes right off the back wall...take the board out and resolder everything. lots of vibration from the woofers causes the solder to break and become intermittent.

same with the CCC. take it off the wall and open it up and resolder all the big pins. the stresses from the wires hanging out the front of it and the vibrations cause the solder to crack.

bill55

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #723 on: August 27, 2019, 12:26:53 pm »
Check for broken solder joints in the power supply and CCC.

a couple screws and the power supply comes right off the back wall...take the board out and resolder everything. lots of vibration from the woofers causes the solder to break and become intermittent.

same with the CCC. take it off the wall and open it up and resolder all the big pins. the stresses from the wires hanging out the front of it and the vibrations cause the solder to crack.

I will give this a shot. Thanks for the tip. I believe I did this on the CCC already, but did not do it on the power supply. I'll redo the CCC again too just to be sure. Basically just heat up the solder so it melts again so it's not cracked or anything?

Thanks
Bill

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #724 on: August 27, 2019, 02:33:12 pm »
yep, it helps to add a tiny bit of solder to the joint as well when you heat it up. the extra flux will help with making sure it says adhered.

trying to solder without any flux can cause the solder to actually lift off and not stick to the parts anymore... but still kinda look like it is.

bill55

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #725 on: August 27, 2019, 02:59:24 pm »
yep, it helps to add a tiny bit of solder to the joint as well when you heat it up. the extra flux will help with making sure it says adhered.

trying to solder without any flux can cause the solder to actually lift off and not stick to the parts anymore... but still kinda look like it is.

If the solder is already on there and I add a little more and heat it up how do I then add flux to it? I would usually use flux on something that did not have any solder to get the solder to stick.

Thanks
Bill

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #726 on: August 27, 2019, 08:39:51 pm »
typically solder has a flux core in it. (solder for electronics does anyways)

or you can have liquid/gel/paste flux that you can add to the joint before heating...then you can just heat it.

but heating the joint without flux will end in a mess.

bill55

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #727 on: August 27, 2019, 08:54:28 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I pulled the power board today but did not get a chance to solder anything. Nothing looks obviously bad to me. I took some pics that I’ll attach. Let me know if anything jumps out at you. Caps aren’t bulging or anything either.

Here are some pics of the board.
https://imgur.com/a/QqUrWUF

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Bill

guido23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #728 on: August 28, 2019, 09:16:35 am »
OK, the loctite seems to be relatively sturdy. My biggest challenge now is sliding the broken title pages back into their holes without re-breaking the top parts. The plastic seems to have just enough flex to bend it a bit to allow both pegs to slip in but I haven't tried yet. If anyone has any suggestions or pro tips on inserting these title pages [gently] into the apparatus, I would love to hear them before I give this a try.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #729 on: August 28, 2019, 10:30:03 am »
i'm not sure how this rack is put together specifically...can you perhaps disassemble it a bit to allow insertion without bending them? (or at least bending it much) or is it one continuous stamped and formed metal piece? it might be a real pain to get it back together (bunch of finiky loose pieces) but at least you wouldn't have to bend them.

otherwise... cross your fingers and hope for the best. maybe warming them a bit in the sunshine or with a hairdryer will give you some extra flex to keep pressure off the broken part.

Blue Agave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2019, 12:07:39 pm
  • AMI R-93
« Reply #730 on: August 28, 2019, 11:32:17 am »
Hello guido23,

Welcome to the forum.

The stylus brush should be set that when the tone arm returns to its rest position the stylus moves over the brush to remove any fluff from it.

When we used to opperate jukeboxes on site we would change the stylus every six months, for home use I would suggest that they are replaced ever 12 months, a worn stylus produces a mushy middle sound rather than good bass & treble.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Can anyone expand on Alan's response on when a needle should by changed on a Rowe R84 - R94 Jukebox?  12 months is subjective, can anyone give a definitive answer by number of plays?  3,000, 4,000, 8,000?   Thanks in advance.

Fernando

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #731 on: August 28, 2019, 11:39:37 am »
Guido23:

Have you tried contacting the jukebox manufacturer? Antique Apparatus is still around, but under new ownership and a new name: Rock-Ola.

Here's their site:

https://www.rock-ola.com/pages/about-us

Original owner Glenn Streeter passed the torch to a Britisher several years ago. They may still carry some of the vinyl jukebox parts. If not, Victory Glass certainly has tons of Rock-Ola vinyl jukebox parts.

http://www.victoryglass.com/contents.asp?VendorCode=3
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 12:53:57 am by Ken Layton »

guido23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #732 on: August 28, 2019, 02:50:48 pm »
lilshawn, thanks for the suggestion on warming up the pages a bit; I may give that a try to make them a little less brittle. This is my third page break in a few years, so I think the writing is on the wall that, after three decades, the plastic is becoming a bit brittle.

Ken, thanks for the suggestion on parts sources. The closest I was able to find at Rock-ola is title pages for their CD version: https://www.rock-ola.com/products/replacement-pages-for-cd-bubblers and I wasn't able to find my model at all on the Victory Glass site. However, perhaps I will try calling both sources to describe what I need; they may have some leads for me.

On a related note, maybe I should have one of my healthy title pages 3D scanned so that, in the future, I could have spares 3D printed.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #733 on: August 29, 2019, 12:54:57 am »
You should telephone both sources as they have much more stuff than shown on their websites.

guido23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #734 on: September 03, 2019, 12:19:42 pm »
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Of my two broken title pages, I did manage to repair one but the other one continued to re-break every time I tried to jam it into the title page apparatus. I called both Rock-Ola and Victory Glass but neither one had had any of these title pages in stock for a long time. As such, I bit the bullet and purchased the very expensive one from Switzerland. When it arrives, I may try having it 3D scanned such that I (and others) could 3D print new ones in the future. These jukeboxes are too wonderful to let die due to lack of parts!

hemidan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2020, 12:32:46 am
« Reply #735 on: September 05, 2019, 04:43:51 pm »
Hi again,

Would anyone have an original cd title card from an R92 combo? I am interested to see what they looked like. On the face of it I'd reckon that they were different to the cd juke ones as the title strip holder has the number on the left and not in the box on the top of the card?

I have an R-93 combo and I would also be very interested in finding out this info for the CD Title card. All I have found is for the cd jukeboxes as well. Thanks for your help!

hemidan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #736 on: September 05, 2019, 06:28:07 pm »
Hello Y"ALL! from Texas. Thank you for letting me join this forum.

I recently bought a R-93 Combo unit. It plays great, CD unit works, It is set on freeplay and also autoplay. Now my problem is this. I want to turn OFF autoplay. I do have the manual and follow the instructions to enter programming mode. Put it in service mode, hold POPULAR while typing on 000 to display the 3 line prompt for programming mode. I NEVER get the prompt for programming mode. I am beginning to think the security code may have been changed. Is there any way to reset it or do I have another problem? Am I trying to enter programming mode correctly?

Thanks to anyone who can help!
hemidan

Still hoping for an answer to this problem, I am still unable to enter programming mode. Is there a way to reset the security code without getting into programming mode? My popular button works to select the most popular song. Description above on my attempts to enter programming mode. I suspect the security code has been changed.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #737 on: September 05, 2019, 06:39:19 pm »
have you tried the old tried and true hack of the code being 0000... 1111 ...2222 ...3333 ...1234....? operators are lazy and don't often put in complex codes.

failing your leet hack skills, you can disassemble the CCC and remove the battery (one side of the battery) to kill all the data in SRAM and reset everything to default. you'll have to reprogram everything, but it will eliminate the code.

if it hasn't been done yet, you should really replace the battery in the CCC anyway. it's far past its expiry date... if it leaks, your CCC can be irreparably damaged.

hemidan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #738 on: September 06, 2019, 10:44:11 pm »
I will pull the CCC and check the battery and replace it. I hope that fixes my problem. Thank you lilshawn for the suggestion.

hemidan

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #739 on: September 12, 2019, 07:45:19 am »
I am on holidayfrom this evening until the 25th September, thinking more about boats than jukeboxes for a short while.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

cgwiz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2019, 08:02:07 pm
« Reply #740 on: September 12, 2019, 08:01:05 pm »
Hello there,

Rowe R-81, located in Michigan, United States.  Turn machine on, select record, and it will play.  What it will not do is cancel at the end of the record - it will just keep spinning.  Cancel button will not stop this either.

Help!

Chris

ps - have fun on your boat!

jpder2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:55:10 pm
« Reply #741 on: September 13, 2019, 01:11:58 pm »
New to the site so forgive me if I'm doing this all wrong.  I recently purchased a Rowe AMI Berkeley 100A.  I have a couple questions that are probably common knowledge around here.  Hopefully someone can help a newbie.

1.) This is a wall mount.  I'm concerned about weight.  Okay in a residential setting to hang on wall studs?  The alternative would be for it to stand on a sturdy shelf.  Would that be a bad idea and/or hurt the juke?

2.)  How do I wire up the speakers?  What type of speakers can it handle?  I don't want to damage the amp.

Thank you for reading.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #742 on: September 13, 2019, 09:39:37 pm »
mount to wall on studs is fine...shelf not so much... perhaps a sturdy table. sitting on a shelf/tapbe is going to make opening the machine sketchy as it is very front heavy when the door is open and it will want to tip forward on you. wall mount is best. it's what it's made for.

wiring up speakers is going to HIGHLY depend on the speakers. you want 4 ohms minimum per channel. any lower and you chance blowing the amp. if you post what you have for speakers and their ohm rating... I can let you know.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #743 on: September 13, 2019, 10:25:42 pm »
The manual set (there are 2 volumes of the manuals) shows how to hook up speakers.

jpder2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #744 on: September 14, 2019, 11:16:50 am »
Thank you gentlemen.  Well noted.  Ken, where is a good place to purchase the manuals?  PDF would be preferred.  LilShawn, I am most likely going to throw up an old Sony surround sound I have laying around.  OHMS are marked, and everything is under 4.  However, it does beg the question of whether or not it is safe to use the sub and center speaker in addition to the other four.  Thanks for the quick responses.  Much appreciated.

jpder2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #745 on: September 14, 2019, 11:20:37 am »
LilShawn.  Read that wrong.  Apologies.  Looks like those speakers won't work as they are marked 3OHMS and under.  I have 4 Sansui SP-1500's I could use.  They are marked 8 OHMS.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #746 on: September 14, 2019, 11:56:31 am »
  Ken, where is a good place to purchase the manuals?  PDF would be preferred.

In the USA, Bruce Wentworth of A & B Jukebox Repair is a good source of Rowe jukebox parts, repairs, and hard copy manuals.

https://www.abjukeboxrepair.com/manuals

Jeff Wager is also a good source of hard copy manuals.

http://www.jeffwager.com/

There's also Victory Glass for hard copy jukebox manuals.

https://victoryglass.com/

EDIT updated 6-3-2021:

There is also Jukebox Arcade Manuals which sells not only hard copy manuals, but also instant pdf manual downloads if desired. I have purchased several hard copy jukebox manuals from them. They have the most complete manuals I have ever seen over the years. Where the original manual had 11 x 17 size schematics, their manuals also have full sized 11 x 17 schematics. They also sell their manuals on ebay.

https://www.jukeboxmanuals.com/

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:40:32 pm by Ken Layton »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #747 on: September 16, 2019, 01:03:09 am »
The manual set (there are 2 volumes of the manuals) shows how to hook up speakers.

If you do read this, Ignore the page about speaker calculations... it's so, so wrong. We know now how to properly load amps to prevent damage, yet rowe copy pastes this into every manual despite it being absolutely incorrect.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #748 on: September 16, 2019, 01:10:42 am »
LilShawn.  Read that wrong.  Apologies.  Looks like those speakers won't work as they are marked 3OHMS and under.  I have 4 Sansui SP-1500's I could use.  They are marked 8 OHMS.

Running 2 in parallel on each channel will give you 4 ohms per channel and is in the acceptable range. You may still want to measure them since typically they SAY 8 ohms but sometimes will actually be 6 in which case 2 in parallel would be 3 ohms... Which is a little on the low side.  Throw 150 feet worth of speaker line loss on there and it would probably be okay. But for a small room it's not going to be enough extra load.

To be safe just wire 1 of the sansui speaker on one amp channel and one speaker on the other amp channel.

hemidan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #749 on: September 17, 2019, 09:05:53 pm »

you can disassemble the CCC and remove the battery (one side of the battery) to kill all the data in SRAM and reset everything to default. you'll have to reprogram everything, but it will eliminate the code.

if it hasn't been done yet, you should really replace the battery in the CCC anyway. it's far past its expiry date... if it leaks, your CCC can be irreparably damaged.

OK I bought a battery holder and new battery for the CCC. Removed the old battery, soldered on the new battery holder, installed the new battery and put it back together. As soon as I turned it back on I finally got the programming prompt. Went through all the settings and everything seems to be working now. I had to set the cd back up also. It was playing a record and cd at the same time.

Thanks for the help.

hemidan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #750 on: September 19, 2019, 05:42:18 pm »
I would like to add a wireless remote control to my Rowe R93 Jukebox. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #751 on: September 20, 2019, 03:23:35 pm »
not sure about the R93, but for the CD100 series  if you want to add the official rowe wireless remote to the juke you need to update the CCC's firmware to the latest version...which my not be possible in your case.

alternatively, you can get universal infrared volume controls off of ebay, you just have to make sure the potentiometer on it is 10k ohm as many are 50 or 100k ohm. they are basically a motor driven volume potentiometer and you'd just wire it in place of the original volume in the juke.

hemidan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #752 on: September 23, 2019, 03:47:30 pm »
I would like to add a wireless remote control to my Rowe R93 Jukebox. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks.

I found this one. http://www.cdadapter.com/rowerem.htm

Has anyone used it or have any comments? it does volume control, cancel, & mute. It would be nice if it did power on and off too.

Dan

baldnic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 08:29:17 pm
« Reply #753 on: September 25, 2019, 09:58:55 pm »
I have a no play situation on my 71 mm6. It is setup for free play with the make any selection light always lit. Tonight, I cancelled a skipping song using the switch and now anytime i select a song the buttons stay pushed in, i can hear a motor run near the selector motor but the carriage won't turn or select the record. If i move switch to off i hear the motor stop and the buttons pop out. Fuses looked good. Both cancel switches are working and currently open. Any ideas where to start?

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #754 on: October 01, 2019, 08:50:21 am »
Hello Baldnic,

You need to make sure that the Search Unit S1 & S2 relays are not jammed or that the drive motor clutch or dive belts are not slipping (this could be a sign of broken teeth on the gears.

The issue could also be that the transfer motor gears could be stripped and still be in partial transfer.

Regards
Alan

baldnic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 08:29:17 pm
« Reply #755 on: October 01, 2019, 10:22:34 pm »
I guess I should clarify that my carriage spins while in scan mode but not for a selection. I'll check relays this week. Thank you.

jimbob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2019, 07:45:10 am
« Reply #756 on: October 14, 2019, 09:51:53 am »
Hi,

(I think) I have a dead pre-amp on my Ami Rowe CD100.
I've created a separate post about it here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161269.0.html
(awaiting moderator approval)
I'm keen for any help I can get!

Best,

James
Hove.

muskie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2019, 09:46:29 am
  • Rowe R-74 Jukebox
« Reply #757 on: October 14, 2019, 06:27:59 pm »
Hello I have a Rowe R74 juke box. I unplugged to possibility reset it and now have zero power to unit. Is there a main fuse?

muskie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2019, 09:46:29 am
  • Rowe R-74 Jukebox
« Reply #758 on: October 15, 2019, 02:19:41 pm »
fixed it bad wall plug (whew!)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:21:16 pm by muskie »

valkrie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2019, 02:52:27 am
  • I'll get the damn thing working eventually!
« Reply #759 on: November 19, 2019, 02:48:26 am »
Hi again,

Would anyone have an original cd title card from an R92 combo? I am interested to see what they looked like. On the face of it I'd reckon that they were different to the cd juke ones as the title strip holder has the number on the left and not in the box on the top of the card?

I have an R-93 combo and I would also be very interested in finding out this info for the CD Title card. All I have found is for the cd jukeboxes as well. Thanks for your help!

I made one from a photo of an original. It is in docx format which I cannot upload here.
cheers
Stu