Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 306587 times)

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #680 on: December 11, 2018, 10:12:09 pm »
Bill Bickers sells jukebox capacitor kits.

http://www.jukeboxfridaynight.com/kits.html

ottervswolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 12:48:37 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #681 on: December 29, 2018, 08:51:07 pm »
Hey everyone!

New to jukeboxes. I recently fixed up a R85 to working condition. And I was soooooooo stoked. Recently,when I turned it on... I picked a selection: it's now playing .5 to 1 seconds then instantly rejecting it and putting it back in the drum. It's quite cold in the garage, I may put a small heater in there to see if it's a cap issue, as suggested by some other generous, and more knowledgable, members.
I am so lost as to what to do now. Thank you all for your help.

Sincerely,
Brian (USA)

jeepcj5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2019, 04:56:32 pm
« Reply #682 on: January 02, 2019, 04:52:37 pm »
Good afternoon everyone. I'm new to the jukebox world and in need of some advice. This seems like the best place to get it.
I recently purchased a Rowe CD-100C and after a full initialize, it now has trouble initializing some discs. I manually initialized them, so I no longer get the 'not alwd in NI' message, but those same discs will not play. The mechanism will place the disc, it will spin up, then spin backward, then it is replaced in the carousel. This happens twice and then it gives up. Other discs work fine with no skipping. The problem discs look undamaged and will play in a different player. I suspect the laser assembly is borderline.
The laser assembly is a CDM4, which I understand is obsolete and parts unavailable. I have a relatively small budget for this project, so the complete CDM4 assemblies I've seen on ebay for 300-600 USD are out of the question.
I have, however, located chinese replacement CDM4/19 transports on ebay and am wondering if this would be a direct replacement and if there would be setup adjustments to perform after replacement.
Any guidance anyone could offer would be appreciated.
Cheers
Colin (Canada)

TheBlueGasMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2020, 10:07:41 am
« Reply #683 on: January 04, 2019, 01:09:58 pm »
Hello
Ive just purchased a Rowe-Ami R-87 which has a few problems..

There is no sound coming from the bottom speakers (they appear to be wired up)

The sound is only coming out of the upper ones!

The balance control also appears not to be working, could all this be connected to a ifyy amp?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #684 on: January 06, 2019, 06:39:55 pm »
check the crossover board (got a bunch of coils, capacitors, and resistors on it... it's near the amp), quite often they get broken solder joints on them from all the vibrations.

sondowner120

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2019, 06:39:18 am
« Reply #685 on: January 20, 2019, 06:26:09 am »
hello my cd100e plays strong on one channel but other is weak and static...  the wires off the output transformer is correct
blk on e1
purp on left e7
pink on right e7
...  if I swap the purp and pink wires the issue follows the purp wire.... which ever side I put it on that side is weak or out....
question does this narrow the issue to the amp?, output trans?, crossover? .....  thnx for input in advance..

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #686 on: January 20, 2019, 06:10:03 pm »
sounds like crossover or speaker issue.

if pink sounds fine on either left or right E7 terminal, that eliminates the amp and anything upstream from it (cables, CD unit, transformer, amp, etc)

i'll wager it's the crossover. Check it for broken solder joints. the vibrations from the music will often break the connections from the big heavy components used on them.

Tman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2021, 05:27:37 am
« Reply #687 on: January 24, 2019, 08:24:52 pm »
Hi.  My cousin has a CD100C which previously had a CD loading problem, but someone trying to fix it moved the plugs on P1-P4 on the CCC while it wasn't switched to service mode, so now the display, carousel etc do nothing at all while the board error, system error and 5v lights are on, and the rowelink light stays off and does not even flash when first turned on.  But the problem is, the CCC, the mech board, the display have all been tested in another machine and all work fine.    Any ideas of what area to look in would be good as it seems nothing is communicating with any other components but the rowelink cable from ccc to mech is fine also. Thanks

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #688 on: January 25, 2019, 07:46:43 am »
Hello Tman,

I would check out the Power Supply (junction box) to make sure that all yhe power rails are present. You may also have to check out all the connections on the looms to mke sure that all the connections are making contact.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Tman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #689 on: January 26, 2019, 07:09:35 am »
Hi ami-man.  The power supply seemed to be ok when I had tested it and I had gone over the plugs and removed the wires which didn't seem to be tight and re set them.  I only have a cd-100a manual to look at which looks like the display/keyboard interface was on the CCC originally in the A model.   I was thinking that maybe with this unit having having the seperate title rack keyboard interface assembly that there may be a chance that it also has something to do with the display interface and data is sent to the display with via that module, as I am pretty sure he never had that module tested where he got the other parts tested in another machine but without the correct manual to look at the diagrams for his model CCC I am not sure.  Apart from that I guess I might have to go over every wire one by one when he gets hold of the correct manual for me.  Thanks

Travis

Tman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #690 on: January 29, 2019, 04:31:39 am »
Hi Alan.  My cousin was told the 40832225 CCC he has is not compatible with the 61086201 mech decoder for the CDM12 he has, and that he needs a 61048101.  My understanding is the 61086201 is used when someone has upgraded from a CDM3 or CDM4 to the CDM12, and that the 61048101 is for the original CDM4 which he doesn't have, but like I told my cousin, if it wasn't compatible it would never of worked to begin with and I don't want him to waste any money using the jukebox repair man who told him not to take any notice of rowe's update guide saying its the right mech decoder for a CDM12.  Thanks

Travis

David / Amy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2021, 02:46:08 am
« Reply #691 on: January 31, 2019, 08:26:06 pm »
Hi Everyone. I've learned so much reading this forum as a guest. Thanks so much. I hope someone will be able to help me with a problem with my R86. It had been working fine but last time I turned it on it immediately began to play the record at the location where the carousel was when I turned it on, and would play the record through, replace it, and then immediately replay the same record. Nothing I could think of could stop it doing this.
I swapped out the Optical switch, and the Mechanism Control with a R85 - the R86 items worked in the R85. Then I swapped out the CCC 6-08870-01 and the R85 one worked fine in the R86 and it was back to normal.
Maybe I've isolated the R86 problem to the CCC, but now I'm completely out of my depth. I trust I've explained this well enough for someone to know where to point me next.
Thanks for your time and help!
David
Honest, it was working. I didn't touch anything - much.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #692 on: February 01, 2019, 06:41:30 am »
Hello David,

Welcome to the forum.

It would seem that your R-86 CCC is faulty or there could have been dry joints to the connection pins if the problem has gone away.

You need to send the CCC out of your R-86 for testing/repair, there is AB Leisure in the USA or myself in the UK that test/repair these boards.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

David / Amy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2021, 02:46:08 am
« Reply #693 on: February 01, 2019, 07:38:35 am »
Thank you, Alan. I've mailed you.
David
Honest, it was working. I didn't touch anything - much.

TJB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 11:29:46 am
« Reply #694 on: February 11, 2019, 11:29:46 am »
Hello, Just acquired 1973 AMI RI-1 Heritage, prior to what I thought easy and harmless transport to final location was working well. Now all mechanisms working well except that the turn table does not spin. I am thinking perhaps jarred wire/fuse loose during transport.
Where would I find fuse location to start ?
 any and all help/suggestions appreaciated

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #695 on: February 12, 2019, 07:13:46 am »
Hello TJB,

The turntable motor is 115/120 volts a direct drive motor that drives a idlerwheel against the turntable.
There is a miscroswitch on the transfer motor camswiches that operates the tuntable motor. More than likely there will be an issue with the idlerwheel linkage or idlerwheel.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Tman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #696 on: March 01, 2019, 08:03:44 am »
Hi Ami-man.  The good news is it was the power board and a new upgraded one got the screen and system back working, but the next problem is on startup CHECKSUM = 8A00 comes up and the carousel does nothing, and end up with error codes for the inner and outer cam.There is power to all power inputs on mech, the rowelink  lights flash constantly until in the end the mech board error light comes on and it resets and does this for the 5 times for out of order to come on.  The CCC and mech communicate as can get the version info out of the service mode and do not get the comm error codes.

So i assume the checksum = 8A00 is possibly the problem but cannot find anything on that.  Do you have any ideas?.. Thanks

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #697 on: March 01, 2019, 02:22:42 pm »
"checksum" is normal. it lets you know that the contents of the rom have not changed. the checksum is usually written on the rom itself on the sticker.

if it always said 8A00 and one day it's acting weird and the checksum says something else like B87D, the rom could be corrupted.

Tman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #698 on: March 01, 2019, 05:35:37 pm »
Hi.  I should of realised the checksum was just a sum to check other parts of the board to make sure it was ok.   The carousel just does nothing.   There is power to the mech,  The error codes are the inner and outer cam erors 05-51 05-53 etc, depending on where i moved the pickup mechanism manually to the cam switches.   There is power through the mech to cam switches and cancel switch.  There is rowelink communication as lights flash constantly on both until after a few mins of probably no response from carousel it finally goes board error and resets.   

I did read somewhere about a gripper relay?.  If that was not working on the carousel I would assume it would also not try and pick up and place a cd as the mech decoder knows it hasnt moved to its position to do that next step?.  Thanks

ldj1002

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2019, 07:10:12 pm
« Reply #699 on: April 06, 2019, 10:13:54 am »
If this question doesn't belong here please tell me where. I have post other places and not much info.

I have a AMI D40 juke box with a 40 select wall and a stepper. I replaced the 100 Mfd. 50 volt cap in the stepper. I also cleaned all contacts in the wall box and stepper and oiled them good. Everything is clean and moves free. I can make a selection from the wall box and it will play but not the selection I selected. I can make several more selections and again not the ones I selected are played. Those selections aren't off from what I selected by the same number. I go back and select the selections again and again they don't play the right selection and what it plays isn't what it played before. IE for example I select 5 and it may play11. I select 5 again and it may play 20. Actually it is as if it has a mind of it's own.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #700 on: April 11, 2019, 06:10:37 am »
I hopeyou have not got any oil near those contacts/wippers on the stepper.
Ideally the best option is to strip them down and remove all traces of lubricant and set the stepper up as per the manual.

Most of the old mechanical steppers I have looked at have problems where the plastic ratchets are moulded onto the metal shafts, these crack and expand in the bearings, which makes the ratchet pause on its return and this effects the pulse train sent to the jukebox. I have jet to find a supplier that has these parts available.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

arnolfo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2023, 09:56:12 pm
  • Rock n Roll Hoochie Koo
Rowe-AMI's Cadette Model CMM-1 100
« Reply #701 on: April 30, 2019, 06:03:41 pm »
Hello,
Glad to know someone still offers help with these old machines. My Rowe-AMI Cadette (1968) has been off for several months but was working fine before. Now I seem to have a few issues all at once.
• one speaker is out
• Selection Buttons need to held down or pushed twice to make a selection.

Also, I forgot how to load new 45's.   :dizzy:  I'll google that one...

I'm planning on taking some time to open up the top to search for the speaker issue but should I look elsewhere? In other words, could it be a line to the speaker, or is it more likely the speaker?
The button issue may be beyond my repair abilities but if you have a suggestion of where to start I'd greatly appreciate it.
I'm in the U.S. Illinois specifically.

Thanks for offering to help with this forum. 

arnolfo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2023, 09:56:12 pm
  • Rock n Roll Hoochie Koo
« Reply #702 on: May 03, 2019, 11:18:22 am »
Update on speaker:  I was unable to track down why that channel was not working. The bottom speaker is working however, I switched the top left speaker with the top right (working) to see if it was the speaker or something leading to the speaker. The left speaker works on the right side but the working right speaker did not work on the left side so the signal is not getting to the left speaker itself. Since I do not know how to track that down I noticed on the control board a series of screw-type terminals with the label (EXT. Speakers.) Figuring this was set up to run external speakers as well, I ran a set of wire from two of the terminals to the left speaker and it works.
Maybe someday I can track down why the left channel top speaker is out but for now, this works.
The selection button are still fussy but this issue gets a little better as the machine is used.

guido23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2020, 11:07:41 pm
« Reply #703 on: May 05, 2019, 11:35:48 am »
What does "ER17" mean? We have an Antique Apparatues RB8 with Rowe R-91 mechanism and this error began showing yesterday for the first time in the 30+ years we have owned it. The error shows while the record is already playing and causes it to stop playing temporarily - then the record starts playing again. I would like to fix it but first I am keen to know what the error actually means. Is there any manual with all the error codes defined?

Hello,

My dad recently purchased a ROWE R-92 for my mum as a birthday gift.  It was working perfectly until we brought it home.
There is an ER17 code that comes up when it switches on, but the arm will only move so far and no record will change.
The lights all work perfectly. We think it is an arm malfunction but we are not sure what is causing it 100% as we have never owned a jukebox previously.

I will try to provide more information soon. Any help is appreciated.  :)

-------
EDIT:
Hello,

We have fixed the jukebox!

We found out it was an issue with tonearm bearings.

Dad switched the jukebox on, did a selection on the keypad, when the arm put record onto the record deck he switched the power off and put his hand under the back of the tone arm and lifted the cam up and moved it over to the left -- it had been jolted out when it was moved. It's beautiful when it plays!

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #704 on: May 06, 2019, 12:33:04 am »
ER17 means keyboard switch #4 is stuck closed.

guido23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #705 on: May 06, 2019, 08:45:13 pm »
Thank you, Ken! When you say keyboard switch #4 are you referring to the "4" button on the number pad for selecting records? If so, is it likely the button itself that it stuck or some electronics behind it? We have baby at home who just started walking so we will have to make sure he's not banging on the buttons - or please correct me if I have misunderstood.

ER17 means keyboard switch #4 is stuck closed.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #706 on: May 06, 2019, 11:42:37 pm »
Yes. The button may be physically stuck.

RJGerace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2019, 09:38:41 am
« Reply #707 on: May 07, 2019, 09:00:01 am »
Hello.  I am from Akron, Ohio in the United States.  I have a Rowe/AMI R-81 jukebox and am interested in trying to purchase a wallbox for it.  Having read through a lot of these conversations and after purchasing a manual for a WRD Wallette Wall Console, it appears that a WRD Wallette is the wallbox that I would need.  I have scoured the internet (and EBAY) trying to find a WRD wallbox.  I purchased one on EBAY and it was completely gutted (there was nothing inside except for some Christmas lights stuffed inside).  I have been looking for the parts it appears I would need to get the gutted wallbox repaired ( I have a credit computer (601-07674) and a Selector Logic Module (601-08060), but it seems I would need a power supply board (401-05484), power supply (401-06891), all of the wiring that was supposed to be inside, and possibly a selector assembly (401-05482)).  It appears that the speakers in the wallbox will not work without the 602-08060 Selector Logic Module.  I am trying to figure out if there is any possibility that I could ever just find a complete, working WRD wallbox (and power supply) for sale or will I be better off to try to find all of the missing parts I need to try to get the gutted WRD wallbox I have working.  It seems like it is very difficult to just find a plug and play wallbox to purchase and it seems like finding parts (especially ones that have been tested and work) is also very difficult.  So, can anyone suggest where I might look to purchase a plug and play WRD wallbox, what the cost would be (as opposed to trying to find all of the missing parts I need) and what the chances of finding either a working wallbox or the parts I need (in working order) would be?  I don't mind paying a fair price for what I need, I just don't want to be on a "needle in a hay stack" endeavor and I want to try to get a wallbox in the most efficient manner (i.e. would it be easier to find the parts I need or a working wallbox).  Any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan J. Gerace

guido23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #708 on: May 22, 2019, 10:06:53 pm »
There is a small, vertical brush underneath the resting position of my needle. What is the brush for? Is the needle supposed to rest on it or brush against it every time the tone arm returns to rest position? Because it definitely doesn't in the case of my Rock-ola Antique Apparatus bubbler. Should I adjust it?

Related question: how often should I change the needle? I have been buying up lots of 45s in near mint condition recently and, while I know most collectors would frown at placing such records into service in my jukebox, I didn't buy them to sit around collecting dust. Is there anything I can do to ensure that my jukebox is as gentle on them as possible?

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #709 on: May 28, 2019, 07:32:11 am »
Hello guido23,

Welcome to the forum.

The stylus brush should be set that when the tone arm returns to its rest position the stylus moves over the brush to remove any fluff from it.

When we used to opperate jukeboxes on site we would change the stylus every six months, for home use I would suggest that they are replaced ever 12 months, a worn stylus produces a mushy middle sound rather than good bass & treble.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

odoyle.rules.dave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2019, 12:37:34 pm
« Reply #710 on: June 04, 2019, 08:18:49 pm »
Hello,

I recently acquired a Rowe CD-100E Diamante.  The light controller seems to blow the 0.5 amp fuse on a regular basis and then the lights do not work.  Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #711 on: June 06, 2019, 06:24:16 am »
Hello odoyle.rules.dave,

Check for dry joints (cold joints USA) on the header pins of the controller.
Make sure that the lamps are the correct voltage and wattage as per your manual.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

BigBerq09

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2019, 10:32:18 pm
« Reply #712 on: July 05, 2019, 08:57:42 pm »
Hi there,

Can you plase look at my post for the ami jjk-200 help if you get a chance.

Thanks

Cub-Scout-Eddie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2023, 02:00:40 pm
« Reply #713 on: August 09, 2019, 04:20:34 pm »
Would like to know what a popularity meter is (what it does) and how it works.  Haven't been able to find any info about it.  It is for a Rowe Ami 1100 mechanism which, if I am correct, is what is in my Rowe AMI JEL-200.  It looks like this: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-rowe-ami-45-rpm-jukebox-1867749745.  Thanks.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #714 on: August 09, 2019, 05:19:13 pm »
popularity simply keeps track of which songs on which albums are played the most. every time some one plays an album...the rod for that number gets pushed out a little bit.

that way when an operator goes to switch out the albums, he can look at the meter, see the least played disks, and swap them out for new ones... then reset the meter.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 05:21:36 pm by lilshawn »

Cub-Scout-Eddie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2023, 02:00:40 pm
« Reply #715 on: August 10, 2019, 08:50:38 am »
Thanks for the explanation lilshawn!

JimP11

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2019, 12:47:44 pm
« Reply #716 on: August 14, 2019, 03:01:50 pm »
Hi. I have a Rowe AMI Storm, and I'm having 2 issues with it.  1...I believe my MCC is going bad, because I have the correct voltage on all 3 of the Rowelink harnesses at the CCC until I plug in the Rowelink connector to the MCC, and then the voltage on the Orange wire drops to 0.6V on every Rowelink connector.  Also, I keep getting the 05-63 code and "Board Error" on MCC.  2...All 4 of my fluorescent door lights are not coming on. Both fuses are good, I think the 400V 100K capacitor on the board is bad. Any idea where I can get 1? Could it be something else to check?

Any help you can give is appreciated.

hemidan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2020, 12:32:46 am
« Reply #717 on: August 23, 2019, 01:22:29 am »
Hello Y"ALL! from Texas. Thank you for letting me join this forum.

I recently bought a R-93 Combo unit. It plays great, CD unit works, It is set on freeplay and also autoplay. Now my problem is this. I want to turn OFF autoplay. I do have the manual and follow the instructions to enter programming mode. Put it in service mode, hold POPULAR while typing on 000 to display the 3 line prompt for programming mode. I NEVER get the prompt for programming mode. I am beginning to think the security code may have been changed. Is there any way to reset it or do I have another problem? Am I trying to enter programming mode correctly?

Thanks to anyone who can help!
hemidan

guido23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #718 on: August 25, 2019, 05:51:31 pm »
My Rock-Ola Antique Apparatus Bubbler (45s, not CDs) has an apparatus for rotating through title pages. One of the title pages broke so now I am seeking a replacement part. Is it possible to replace just the page, not the entire apparatus? If so, does anyone have a link to a source for the replacement part? I've searched online and all I've found is https://www.decor-tech.ch/pi/Jukeboxen-von-Rock-ola-NEUE/Rockola-CD-Ersatzteile/title-page-gebraucht-gruen-ami-rowe-antique-apparatus-bubbler-rock-ola-jukebox-40545902.html?waehrung=aud&kat_aktiv=120&kat_last=120 in Switzerland. It seems to be what I want but wow, $95 for one page!!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #719 on: August 26, 2019, 12:41:30 pm »
could you possibly use a plastic epoxy to repair it?

something like  https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-1363118-8-Plastic-Bonder-Syringes/dp/B01EZTPX9Y

i have used this to repair plastic stuff and it sticks really well. it also has a bit of an opaque yellow color to it that will match the original plastic pretty good. the part isn't really critical or hold a lot of weight or stress... so repair might work here.

95 bucks is a little pricey. it's tough cause the album #'s are printed on the parts themselves... so not only do you have to get the part...it has to have the correct numbers.

i believe repairing it might be your cheapest option.