Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 306708 times)

Leeshep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2018, 01:15:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #640 on: September 14, 2018, 01:16:06 pm »
Hello folks,

Got another issue with the R90. The front lights have gone dull. The top ones light as normal and flash to the beat. I can't see any components on the board that are unique to the p2 connector. They look bridged.

Please help.

Lee

wise1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2018, 08:12:40 pm
« Reply #641 on: September 19, 2018, 07:40:32 am »
Hi Alan,
Question on Rowe control computers, computer 4-07773-05 works on my R91 R92 R93.
But computer 407773-12 only works on the R93, is this correct or do I have a fault?

Cheers, Richard

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #642 on: September 21, 2018, 07:39:52 am »
Hi Richard,

It could be down to what program chip you have in the 407773-12 CCC.

Regards
Alan

wise1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2018, 08:12:40 pm
« Reply #643 on: September 21, 2018, 08:12:40 pm »
Hi Alan,
the Eprom chip has a sticker on it saying V1.1,
i did swap another chip over to check, but no change, that chip was V1.1 as well.
So I gather this computer should work in all of them?

Cheers, Richard

Stevemo57

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2018, 10:55:55 am
« Reply #644 on: September 22, 2018, 12:40:48 pm »
Hi, new to Jukeboxing.
I just purchased a working r93 combo, however, when moving it I forgot to remove CD Cartridge so a disc fell into the player. I opened and removed disc, no problems at all. But when I reinstalled the player and got it plugged back in it doesn't even "acknowledge" the player. By that I mean, when I try to press the 50xx-55xx selections it won't even show the first digit (5). Do I need to initialize the player again? If so, how?
Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

valkrie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2019, 02:52:27 am
  • I'll get the damn thing working eventually!
« Reply #645 on: September 26, 2018, 05:28:57 am »
Hi,
When the popular button is pressed on my R92 combo juke. It tries to select a record ending in 8 or 9.
Is this normal? I would have thought that is should select the most popular track even it is a cd?
It still does this even after the memorec data is cleared via the switch on the CCC.
The selection of records ending in 8 or 9 is disabled in the CCC (location 29 is set to 255) so you cannot select them via the keypad. Does this need to be the case for CD combo or just video jukes?
Location 30 is set to 00
What does location 46 do? Mine has a value of 2 there. The manual says nothing about location 46.
It is selecting and playing all records (except ending in 8 or 9) and all the cd selections perfectly fine.
Any thoughts on this?

Cheers
Stu

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:17:46 am by valkrie »

valkrie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #646 on: September 26, 2018, 05:45:30 am »
Hi again,

I need to replace the volume control on my r92. I believe it is a 10K linear potentiometer.
Is this correct?

cheers
Stu

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #647 on: September 26, 2018, 05:50:17 am »
Hi Stu,

No it is a 10K Log pot.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

valkrie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #648 on: September 26, 2018, 06:18:09 am »
Hi Stu,

No it is a 10K Log pot.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Thanks Alan.
I was looking for it the manual parts list. I cannot see it listed there at all.
Cheers
Stu

evil-nine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2018, 08:40:13 am
« Reply #649 on: September 26, 2018, 07:54:29 am »
Hi!

First post here.  This looks like a great forum!

I have a Rowe Ami R-74 in London, UK.  It was last serviced circa 1994 and I have the following intermittent problems:

1.  The selection buttons become stuck.  Sometimes they will clear after a few seconds, sometimes days.
2.  It appears the selection doesn't always play in order, or some selections are skipped when queuing up plays

On a side note, the inside of the cabinet is very dirty, yellow and greasy.  This doesn't bother me too much but I wondered if others preferences are to thoroughly clean the inside?

Thanks,
Craig

valkrie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #650 on: September 26, 2018, 07:37:34 pm »
Finally I have the lighting all sorted.
All bulbs replaced with the correct colours.
Starting to look the goods now I reckon.
Onto the lower speaker grille refurbishment.
Cheers,
Stu

evil-nine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #651 on: September 27, 2018, 05:47:43 am »
Hi!

First post here.  This looks like a great forum!

I have a Rowe Ami R-74 in London, UK.  It was last serviced circa 1994 and I have the following intermittent problems:

1.  The selection buttons become stuck.  Sometimes they will clear after a few seconds, sometimes days.
2.  It appears the selection doesn't always play in order, or some selections are skipped when queuing up plays

On a side note, the inside of the cabinet is very dirty, yellow and greasy.  This doesn't bother me too much but I wondered if others preferences are to thoroughly clean the inside?

Thanks,
Craig

Further note.  I have the manual and it seems that the latch coil does not engage or get released correctly. 

The selection buttons do not latch as the latch relay does not engage.  After some time the relay engages and I am able to make a selection but this now does not move to the next stage.  The selection switches remain depressed and nothing happens.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 05:58:51 am by evil-nine »

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #652 on: September 27, 2018, 07:54:39 am »
Hello Craig,

Welcome to the forum.

So you have issues with your 1975 Rowe Ami R-74.

I suggest that you clean the open & closed contact on the R1 & R5 relays on the keyboard, to do this remove the plug going to the bottom of the keyboard, remove the two screws that hold the keyboard in place These are part of the upper lid locking mechanism (2 BA or 1/4 AF socket or spanner required).

To clean the contacts on the two relays use a paper taper pulled between the contact tips. Repete this cleaning on the search unit open relays S1 & S2.

If this does not sort out the issue please get back to me.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

evil-nine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #653 on: September 27, 2018, 08:30:26 am »
Thanks for your quick reply Alan.

It's decided to work today so I will let you know how it goes.

steveslotty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2020, 08:30:24 pm
« Reply #654 on: September 27, 2018, 07:30:34 pm »
Hi, i have an r-86 and its cradle will not spin. Record 100 is on display saying playing but nothing happing on turntable. When new numbers are punched in nothing happens just hoes back to 100 playing. Manual spin button doesnt work either on unit. Motor underneath that runs the sprag is hot extreamly hot. The cam arm is broken also by the way. I removed ccc and motor control board.had foam on back that turned gummy cleaned boards, Re flowed solder to all pins, de oxed pins and plugs, replaced 100 uf electrolic caps,  replaced the two transistors on the heat sink on motor control board, and cleaned up and looked for any noticible problems couldnt find any. What do you think my problem is i have yet to check power supply, i didnt yet since i was getting power well everything was lighting up, and yhings turn when i turn manually. I am new to jukeboxes this is my first i have over 10 arcade games that i do repairs on though.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #655 on: September 28, 2018, 05:42:04 am »
Hello Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not too shure that jumping in with both feet was the best idea on this jukebox.

If the mechanism motor is getting very hot then I would have taken the Sprag Assembly off of the mechaism to check out the sprag wheel and the stem bushing for any wear or damage causing the mechamism to jam up putting a load on the motor. You had better check that the Detent Solenoid is disengaging for the same reason.

Are all the power rails on the power supply at the correct voltages under a slight load?

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Liamo81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2018, 11:19:46 am
  • Rowe Ami CD100
« Reply #656 on: October 03, 2018, 01:17:49 am »
Hi again Alan.

Hope all is well?

Random question you may be able to help with:

There is a small transformer in the bottom left of the Rowe Ami WCD20.

Do you happen to know the input/output voltage of the transformer and the wiring colour key?

I have one spare from an old project and looking to re-purpose it.

Many thanks.

Liam

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #657 on: October 04, 2018, 09:03:35 am »
Hi Liam,

The yellow and black are the 28 volts AC input, not sure of the two orange and two blue wires on the output, they will more than likey be a lower voltage.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

willie50

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2019, 01:28:49 pm
  • I want to build my own Ami Continental!
« Reply #658 on: October 14, 2018, 01:21:58 pm »
Hi Alan,  I've just started moving my doner jukebox parts ( Rowe Ami R88 ) into my Ami Continental 2 replica body that I,ve built up. I have 3 problems.
1. I reconnected everything, including amp and speakers, once removed from the jukebox and everything worked apart from there was no sound apart from a very quiet sound and turning the volume did not adjust it.
2. The plans I have are for transfering a R84 which is slightly different to my R88, I also want to use my own Amp, so slightly puzzled how to do it. Do you know if there are plans for transfering a R88 including its Amp.
3.Both the small 6 inch speakers have seen better days, any idea where I can get replacements. Was thinking maybe 6.5 inch ones as the hole created from the plans is already 150mm therefore 6 inch ones are a bit tight.
Cheers for any help. Regards Keith

Alan have you any idea where this cable should be attached, it didn't seem to be connected to the original jukebox, wondered if it had come off the nut at front of frame although this is not loose. Also I made a mistake my plans are for transfering a R84 not R87 as I stated initially. Cheers Keith
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 03:52:43 pm by willie50 »

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #659 on: October 19, 2018, 07:45:29 am »
Hello Keith,

There is little or no difference in the R-87 and R-88 jukeboxes other than trim.

I assume you are fitting a 125 or 130 Rowe Ami amplifier, if you have a substitute amp such as the Rainbow MK4, I would ditch it they are not worth spending money on.

Regarding speakers, cross overs you need to match these to the amplifier as per the original speakers.

If you are having issues I suggest you contact me directly, send me a PM so we can swap details.
Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

toddsterling92

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 08:16:54 am
« Reply #660 on: October 20, 2018, 10:01:54 am »
R87 help. Is there an aux out so I can hook up a Bluetooth transmitter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baldnic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 08:29:17 pm
« Reply #661 on: October 20, 2018, 10:25:27 pm »
my mm6 with tube amp  has developed a fault. when powered on it will blow the main fuse and trip the tube amp breaker. it has functioned great until the weather now turned cool in my temporarily unheated shop. what part is first to diagnose  and where should I start troubleshooting

Thehearingroom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:55:13 am
  • Addicted to Jukes
Rowe/AMI CD100
« Reply #662 on: October 26, 2018, 01:39:43 pm »
I just joined this forum, and have scrolled through many pages trying to figure out the answer -found something close, but not quite.

This question is regards to my '88 CD100, i'm looking for the multi-colored platic gel sheet that wraps around the flourescent tubes. I have the clear tube protector, but the plastic sheet is brittle and no good. Are these made anywhere anymore?

Thanks
Mark
Northeast US

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #663 on: October 29, 2018, 07:28:57 am »
Hello Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

You can make up bands of theatrical gel there is somewhere in the region of 300 shades available, these can be bought in sheet form from theatrical suppliers, Ebay or maybe your local theater.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Thehearingroom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:55:13 am
  • Addicted to Jukes
« Reply #664 on: October 29, 2018, 07:31:11 am »
Ok thanks! I'll order some up and give it a go.
Thanks

Santucky619

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 01:10:26 am
« Reply #665 on: November 07, 2018, 11:22:31 am »
Hello Alan, I am Kenny in Southern California.
 all thanks in advance for your help. I just got my first juke. A 64 rowe ami tropicana. It wasn't working but after a thorough cleaning and some adjustments. It works and sounds pretty darn good..
My question is: after it sits unused a couple of days. It seems like the search unit struggles to turn. I lightly oiled the armature and it seems to maybe have fixed it. I would also like to replace the selenium rectifier. It has 3 wires. 2 yellow and a red. If I update it with a 4 prong silicone. I have heard I might need to add a slow blow fuse. That is fine, do I add it inline with the red + wire? 2 or 2.5 fuse? In addition should I also ground this. The main power cord is a 2 prong cord. Is this machine not grounded?. Again thanks for all help and advice. I will enjoy this forum.

I would also like to clean my contacts. What is Paper Taper? I see you refer to this many times.
Kenny

Cub-Scout-Eddie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2023, 02:00:40 pm
« Reply #666 on: November 07, 2018, 11:25:39 am »
Hello everyone,

Got a deal I couldn't refuse on a JEL-200.  It's our first jukebox.  It's in very good shape for its age, but the plan is to bring it back to like-new condition.  We've redone a couple of electromechanical pinballs.  Based on that experience, I think we can handle this and think it mostly will involve taking it completely apart, cleaning everything, reassembly and adjustment.

I've read about halfway through this thread and agree the starting point is to get a manual(s).  So, that's where my questions start.

There are a lot of places/people selling manuals.  That's a change for me, you can usually find free downloads for pinball machines.

I assume I should be looking for 3 things: owner's/operating manual, wiring diagrams, and repair/maintenance maintenance manual.  Correct?

How do I figure out where/what to purchase?  Some places claim to have an original AMI (or a copy of it).  Others look like they might be something someone else put together.  Page count differs from around 200 to a high of 300.  Covers look different.  One claims to include a 29 page revision section. What would that be?  Prices range from maybe as low as $20 to $80 or so.  I'm not interest in a CD/DVD, I want paper.

Questions about the model:

The ID plate has a box with "A" in it to the right of the box showing "JEL 200."  What does the "A" mean?

Is this model typically referred to as "model L?"  Or is it "model LB" with the JAL 200 being "model L?"

I'm assuming I will be able to answer most of my other questions when I get the manual(s), but I look forward to reaching out to all of you for help after I have the manual.  We've already been able to clear up a few things just from looking through the jukebox: loose speaker wire, mis-installed spring on selection indicator, moving lights panel in upper right corner installed upside down (not sure what that thing is called).

Thanks,
Cub Scout Eddie
(suburban Chicago, IL, USA)

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #667 on: November 07, 2018, 12:44:06 pm »
Cub Scout Eddie:

For the best, most complete manuals, you want the reproduction manuals from AMR Publishing at Victory Glass company. These manuals are NOT photocopies. They are actually printed on an offset press on heavyweight paper, have a lay flat binding, and have laminated covers. All the halftone pictures in it are crystal clear. Well worth every penny in my opinion.

Victory # 70-1247 (AMR # R-387) Service manual (with schematics) for models JAL and JEL, 164 pages, just $39.50

Victory # 70-1248 (AMR # R-388) Parts Manual for models JAL and JEL, 144 pages, just $35.00

Package deal, both of the above manuals just $64.95 Victory # 70-3309 (AMR # R-387A)

http://www.victoryglass.com/

Victory Glass also stocks many parts for Rowe-Ami jukeboxes, both as new-old-stock and reproductions.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:48:51 pm by Ken Layton »

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #668 on: November 08, 2018, 07:59:10 am »
Hello Alan, I am Kenny in Southern California.
 all thanks in advance for your help. I just got my first juke. A 64 rowe ami tropicana. It wasn't working but after a thorough cleaning and some adjustments. It works and sounds pretty darn good..
My question is: after it sits unused a couple of days. It seems like the search unit struggles to turn. I lightly oiled the armature and it seems to maybe have fixed it. I would also like to replace the selenium rectifier. It has 3 wires. 2 yellow and a red. If I update it with a 4 prong silicone. I have heard I might need to add a slow blow fuse. That is fine, do I add it inline with the red + wire? 2 or 2.5 fuse? In addition should I also ground this. The main power cord is a 2 prong cord. Is this machine not grounded?. Again thanks for all help and advice. I will enjoy this forum.

I would also like to clean my contacts. What is Paper Taper? I see you refer to this many times.
Kenny

Hello Kenny,

A paper taper is just a strip of copier paper that is folded to form a taper (similar that you might use to light a fire) a couple of folds in the paper so you end up with a strip about half an inch in width, this can be pulled through the open or closed contacts to just clean the tips of the contacts.

I never recommend oiling the search unit, it needs to be stripped down and cleaned by washing the mechanical parts once removed in warm soapy water and dried with a lint free cloth before re-assembly.

On certain older models of Ami rectifiers can be a problem especially when using modern eqivelents, If you have the option for a earth/ground on your supply use it by grounding the power supply (junction box) many amplifiers have issues with not being grounded correctly.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Santucky619

• Offline Offline
« Reply #669 on: November 08, 2018, 09:27:09 pm »
Great. Thanks for the expertise. It's working fine right now hate to pull it apart...naybe just clean the contacts for now.

Thank you
Kenny
64 rowe ami tropicana

Bubba21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2018, 01:33:35 am
  • I want to fix my Dads 45s record jukebox
« Reply #670 on: November 13, 2018, 11:49:56 pm »
      Hello,

I could use some advice. I have a rowe ami mm6. It works great really impressed with it. But the only problem is it has no volume control. It only plays in full blast. I changed the volume knob on the back and checked all the wiring. Any advice of what I could do? And if it turns out I need a new amp where I possibly could get it

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #671 on: November 15, 2018, 05:56:42 am »
Hello Bubba21,

What control do you have fitted is it a single control or a dual control?
 What is the number of the pre-amplifier board, it is etched on the printed circuit side of the board. Dependant on the number on it dictates what control needs to be used.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

jayohio19

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2018, 10:49:57 am
« Reply #672 on: November 21, 2018, 09:53:39 pm »
I have an R84 and it continuously spins the record and doesn't reject. The cancel button lights up the led on the mechanism board, but doesn't cancel the record out. Thank you

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #673 on: November 22, 2018, 09:03:27 am »
Hi Jay,

I left you information on your other post on this subject.

Just one thing, are all the power supply led's on the power suppy (often called the Juction Box) checkthat none are dim there are 3 for each of the power rails, 8 volts DC. 28 volts DC and 28 volts AC.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

jayohio19

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2018, 10:49:57 am
« Reply #674 on: November 22, 2018, 10:42:58 am »
All 3 lights are lit up.

Santucky619

• Offline Offline
« Reply #675 on: November 26, 2018, 02:05:40 pm »
Hello Alan, should be an easy one for you. My 1964 rowe ami tropicana jbm is working sweet. I would like to wire in my remote volume and cancel control. The bit of old wire still connected is a 6 conductor 22awg wire with 4 of the conductors shielded. I guess the 2 cancel wire are unshielded. I'm having trouble finding that wire. What I do have is a 6 conductor with all 6 wire shielded. Can I use this? Does it matter if all six are shielded together? Last where do I connect the leads to in the jukebox. I can't find it in my manual. Oh yea one other thing the sticker on the back of the remote volume/cancel says "caution only use with r2020 and r2022 amplifiers. The stickers on my amps say 2620a and 2622c. Can I not use this altogether. I dont see what the caution would be. Its just a volume knob and cancel switch.
Thanks in advance
Kenny
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 01:10:26 am by Santucky619 »

appleton71

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 05:49:18 pm
« Reply #676 on: November 28, 2018, 02:46:27 pm »
I just got a steal of a deal on an R-87 - Golden 7.  Everything works great...just looking for the insert that goes around the dba and coin slot.  Someone had added an aftermarket dba and butchered my current insert.  I don't mind if it's from a Sapphire 7 or another year.  I can paint all three insert panels to be the same color if I can't find a match.  Any ideas where to look?

Thanks!

Cub-Scout-Eddie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #677 on: December 10, 2018, 10:43:21 pm »
Cub Scout Eddie:

For the best, most complete manuals, you want the reproduction manuals from AMR Publishing at Victory Glass company. These manuals are NOT photocopies. They are actually printed on an offset press on heavyweight paper, have a lay flat binding, and have laminated covers. All the halftone pictures in it are crystal clear. Well worth every penny in my opinion.

Victory # 70-1247 (AMR # R-387) Service manual (with schematics) for models JAL and JEL, 164 pages, just $39.50

Victory # 70-1248 (AMR # R-388) Parts Manual for models JAL and JEL, 144 pages, just $35.00

Package deal, both of the above manuals just $64.95 Victory # 70-3309 (AMR # R-387A)

http://www.victoryglass.com/

Victory Glass also stocks many parts for Rowe-Ami jukeboxes, both as new-old-stock and reproductions.

Ken, sorry for the delayed thank you.  Had to put off working on the JEL-200 due to some medical
issues.  Getting back to it now...just ordered the manuals you suggested.

Can someone answer some questions about the sound on my unit?  Not sure exactly how to define it.  Flat, not much dynamic range, missing upper frequencies...maybe it's easiest to say it sounds somewhat like AM radio.  I have no experience with jukeboxes before this, but I assume it should sound better than it does.

I don't have the manual/schematics yet, but I assume there are crossovers for the speakers?  Is that part of the sound problem?  Electrolytic capacitors need changing, maybe resistors too?

Not at all familiar with tube amps & preamps.  Even though it comes on quickly (not much warm-up time) could a tube(s) be weak/bad and be affecting the sound quality?

Also not familiar with what happens to a turntable cartridge as it ages.  I did thoroughly clean the needle which seemed to help a bit.  I think it might be the original cartridge, at least it is the same model that came with a JEL-200.  I plan to order a new stylus, but am wondering if I should get a new cartridge/stylus instead.

New speakers/drivers?  I'm sure I can find some that fit that are better than OE but I think what's in it should sound better than it does.

I know going through and doing a thorough cleaning will help.  The volume pot, for instance, definitely needs a visit from deoxit - lots of static when you move it.  But I don't think a cleaning alone will bring up the sound quality that much.

So, what suggestion do you guys have.  I am, over time, going to go through everything but I'd first like to hit the areas that will improve the sound quality.

Thanks for the advice and help.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #678 on: December 11, 2018, 12:30:33 am »
First thing to do is to recap the amplifier. Tubes are probably fine.

Cub-Scout-Eddie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #679 on: December 11, 2018, 04:41:47 pm »
Thanks Ken.  As soon as I get the schematic I'll work up a parts list for the caps.