Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 306532 times)

ami-man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #520 on: August 30, 2017, 10:37:31 am »
Hello,

I have a 1973 AMI/Rowe deauville TI-1. Working just fine until about a month ago. Jukebox didnt play the songs I selected. I would select a song and it would just roll a full cycle and not play anything. Then I would put in a couple more selections and it would play again. Maybe not in the order I selected, but still play them and remember what I had selected previously.

I thought this could be a lubrication issue since it hadnt been oiled in at least 10-15 years. I carefully oiled(sewing machine oil or such and WD-40) a few spots in the machine following the owners manual. After this all noise coming from the machine was a lot smoother, BUT now it plays reeeaally slow. I found a video where a guy explains where you have to clean excess oil and so on, but its still slow. If I carefully adjust the Speed Shift Coil & Idler Wheel Assembly while playing, it will get more speed but wont maintain it. Do I have to replace the speed shift coil? Thank you guys in advance for any help I might get!

Hello saag1,

The only place you should lubricate on a Rowe Ami jukebox of this era is the pivot points of the idler wheel linkage, the turntable shaft and the top and bottom bearing of the turntable motor, the rest is best left dry unless you know what you are doing, the gripper bow should be totally clean & dry with high melting point grease in the trunnion casting sockets (pivot points).

I would remove the turntable and the idler wheel & linkage, strip down and wash in warm soapy water to remove any traces of oil, check the idler wheel for any damage such as dints (these are caused by the wheel being left in contact with the motor shaft for a long time of none use) replace it if this is the case.

WD40 should not come in contact with any jukebox.

I suggest that look at some of my other posts regarding cleaning the following open relays R1 & R5 on the keyboard assembly and S1 & S2 on the search unit, these open & closed contacts need to be cleaned with contact cleaning strips or a paper taper pulled between the contacts.

You will need to check the timing of the jukebox mechanism is correct, turn the mechanism to position A1 using the service switch, now check that the timing mark on the stop plate assembly is showing the 00 mark against the step in the search unit mounting bracket (check the adjustment in your manual).

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

dastardly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2017, 03:46:44 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #521 on: August 30, 2017, 10:51:14 am »
thanks very much for your help guys Craig

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #522 on: August 30, 2017, 11:45:56 am »
u beat me to it  ami-man
wd40 is to never be used
and yes your idler picked up oil
dry it out as was explained
+ the motor shaft and under the turntable where the idler makes contact (platter)

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #523 on: August 30, 2017, 08:29:22 pm »
yeah, WD-40 is a solvent, not really a lubricant. about all it does is attract dirt when used as an oil

WD-40 is good for cleaning parts...then using a proper oil/lubrication

saag1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2017, 03:27:27 am
« Reply #524 on: August 31, 2017, 03:22:50 am »
Thanks guys for all the replys. Clearly an amateur mistake here to use WD40, I just blindly followed "some guy on the internet"s instructions.  :banghead:

I am not super confident I can take out the idler wheel and put it back together, but I'll give it a try. I will let you know in a couple of days. But thanks again so much  :)

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #525 on: August 31, 2017, 10:39:06 am »
the idler and platter are super easy to remove and install
just watch out for washers under/over the idler (and there order) thick to thin

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #526 on: September 05, 2017, 10:38:54 am »
the idler and platter are super easy to remove and install
just watch out for washers under/over the idler (and there order) thick to thin

ed

Hi ed12,

Yes both easy to remove.

There should not be any washers on the idler wheel, on the idler wheel linkage there can be washers on the speed shift coil shaft it it is indeed fitted with a speed shift.

The idler wheel and linkage is held in place by circlips.

I had an 1100 mechanism in the workshop last week where it did not have a turntable  (platter) on fitting a replacement it would not sit correctly on checking out the thrust and spacer bearing it was apparant that someone had altered spacer bearing, the result was that the turntable was about 3 mm too high. Spacer bearing replaced sorted out the issue.

Regards
Alan
ami-man
UK

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #527 on: September 08, 2017, 08:51:24 am »
Hello,

I am on holiday after today until 20th September.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

daws

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 01:06:04 pm
« Reply #528 on: October 04, 2017, 01:04:57 pm »
RI-2 - volume issue

Hoping someone out there could point me in the right direction to sort out a volume issue on an RI-2.

The needle drops onto the record, so far so good. Then, after about 5 seconds, the volume drops significantly and you have to turn it almost to max to get it back up to the original level.

This happens each time a new record goes on, I suspect it has something to do with the signal between the tone arm wiring and the amp but I may be wrong.

After looking in the manual, and looking all round the jukebox, I also realised there's no way of opening up the front or back and getting to the speakers to check wiring from the amp - is this usual.

DAWS

valkrie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2019, 02:52:27 am
  • I'll get the damn thing working eventually!
« Reply #529 on: October 05, 2017, 05:51:32 am »
Hi all,

I finally have the R92 free playing. Whilst doing that tonight the credit/selection display gradually faded right down then went out completely. The jukebox still selects records ok.
Where do I start looking for this issue?
cheers
Stu
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:41:49 am by valkrie »

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #530 on: October 05, 2017, 08:49:09 am »
Hi Stu,

You need to check the connections going to the display board, I am surprised that the jukebox is still selecting.
On the Rowe Ami R-89 to R-94 jukeboxes the display board also controls the selections on the jukebox.

You need to check the display board for dry joints (cold joints USA) for cracking in solder around the pins, I suggest that you also checl out the loom between the display and CCC for poor or dirty connections.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #531 on: October 05, 2017, 08:58:04 am »
RI-2 - volume issue

Hoping someone out there could point me in the right direction to sort out a volume issue on an RI-2.

The needle drops onto the record, so far so good. Then, after about 5 seconds, the volume drops significantly and you have to turn it almost to max to get it back up to the original level.

This happens each time a new record goes on, I suspect it has something to do with the signal between the tone arm wiring and the amp but I may be wrong.

After looking in the manual, and looking all round the jukebox, I also realised there's no way of opening up the front or back and getting to the speakers to check wiring from the amp - is this usual.

DAWS

Hi Daws,

What model of amplifier is fitted to your jukebox?

Have you checked the M44 cartridge, it is made up of two parts, a plastic outer case and the metal inner cartridge, theseare only glued together and can become unglued, if this is the case the inner part can be in the wrong position, the stylus may not be fully engaged oor at the wrong angle.

Check the wired from the back of the cartridge to the back of the valve base socket on the side of the mechanism, the wired can come adrift. Check the valve baced plug and clean the pins and make sure the connection is good, you can slay the pins on plug to make it tighter fit.

Check out the amplifier for any dry joints (cold Joints USA) on the connections between the boards.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

valkrie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #532 on: October 05, 2017, 04:05:29 pm »
Hi Stu,

You need to check the connections going to the display board, I am surprised that the jukebox is still selecting.
On the Rowe Ami R-89 to R-94 jukeboxes the display board also controls the selections on the jukebox.

You need to check the display board for dry joints (cold joints USA) for cracking in solder around the pins, I suggest that you also checl out the loom between the display and CCC for poor or dirty connections.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Hi alan,
I too was surprised to see it still selecting. No error codes on the CCC at all. I did stuff up the original post though. The bloody thing is an R92 (no idea why I keep thinking it is an R91!)
I'll disconnect and remove the display today for a clean and inspection. Hopefully it is just a loose connector.
cheers
Stu

valkrie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #533 on: October 06, 2017, 02:39:55 am »
Powered up the juke today and the computer says no.
I have inspected the display boards no obvious dry joints stand out. Looks like I 'll be replacing it (that could be quite a mission here is Aus. It seems easier to find out about the mob then jukeboxes here).
I finally summoned up the courage to remove the mechanism from the cabinet and clean out the dust in there. Upon further inspection of the tone arm cam I have found a small nick worn in the tone arm cam.  I think that is why the tone arm sticks at the start of the record. I am also missing 2 of the 4 rubber blocks that the mechanism springs sit on. The computer and amp both seem to working fine. The speakers foam is getting a bit tired. I reckon I'll concentrate on getting it working correctly then replace speakers, blown bulbs etc after that.
I only paid $50 for the machine, all it has cost me so far is a new stylus (almost as much as the machine).

cheers

Stu

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #534 on: October 06, 2017, 06:26:17 am »
Hi Stu,

It may be prudent to contact Erwin Boot at Flamingo Records in Hobart Tasmania, he still does a bit with jukeboxes. We send each other the odd email re parts for Rowe Ami, He may even be a member on here.

We also service customers in Australia & New Zealand with parts/repairs.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

valkrie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #535 on: October 06, 2017, 06:54:23 am »
Hi Alan,

It was bothering me all afternoon. So I went out and removed the display and cleaned all the contacts again. Reassembled and it works fine again!
I'll try Erwin for a tonearm cam and the rubber blocks
Thanks for the help

cheers
Stu

phesson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2022, 01:50:57 pm
  • If there’s a Pinball and Jukebox there, I’m happy.
« Reply #536 on: October 06, 2017, 10:41:19 am »
Hello,

I have a Rowe AMI R-90. At times when switching from an A-side to a B-side, or vice versa,  the turntable motor will play backwards, causing the needle to bump against the lead groove on the album until the Cancel button pressed.
I have no idea what could be causing this or what the solution might be.  :-[
Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
Ohio, USA
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:40:50 am by phesson »
Paul

Rowe R90, , CD100A, Wurlitzer 1450
Whirlwind, Grand Lizard, Mata Hari Pinball

valkrie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #537 on: October 06, 2017, 06:03:27 pm »
Hi again,
After loading the records into the machine I moved the service mode switch back to on (it felt stiff) and now nothing happens the +8v led on the computer is not lit. If i push the switch slider down slightly the led slowly comes on. I think I'll need to replace the service mode switch. Will this problem cause damage to the CCC?

cheers
Stu

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #538 on: October 09, 2017, 09:02:22 am »
Hello,

I have a Rowe AMI R-90. At times when switching from an A-side to a B-side, or vice versa,  the turntable motor will play backwards, causing the needle to bump against the lead groove on the album until the Cancel button pressed.
I have no idea what could be causing this or what the solution might be.  :-[
Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
Ohio, USA

Hi Paul,

Well that is a fault I have not come across before, it is common on the CD jukeboxes but not on vinyl, I would check out the Mechanism Control and the turntable motor capacitors for any faults.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #539 on: October 09, 2017, 09:06:29 am »
Hi again,
After loading the records into the machine I moved the service mode switch back to on (it felt stiff) and now nothing happens the +8v led on the computer is not lit. If i push the switch slider down slightly the led slowly comes on. I think I'll need to replace the service mode switch. Will this problem cause damage to the CCC?

cheers
Stu

Hi Stu,

Time to replace the service switch or to take it appart and clean all of the contacts (a pencil rubber is the best tool for cleaning the contacts) if the contacts have lost their silver coating then you will have no option other than replacement.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Cpd1212

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2017, 02:05:00 pm
« Reply #540 on: November 05, 2017, 12:20:09 pm »
Great wealth of information around here.

I have a Rowe Ami MM6 that I've had for several years now.  It works great except for the fact it constantly is one selection off when playing a record.  I've learned to deal with that.

What I would like to know, is how would I go about connecting a wallbox to my MM6?  I would like to connect one, possibly two, in different locations.

What wallbox would be ideal to install, and what additional parts would I need to add to the MM6?

Many thanks,
Chris
Chicago, IL

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #541 on: November 06, 2017, 05:17:02 am »
Hello Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

Re your one selection off, you need to check the Stop Plate Assemby (behind the search unit).
Scan around to A1 and check the 200 (it may be marked 00) on the edge of the stop plate assembly is in agline with the step in the seaech unit bracket (check in your manual, this is how to time the mechanism).

With regards to connecting one or more wallboxes, you will require a wallbox transformer to power up the wallboxes (this transformer needs a relay that holds over the AC Control to prevent the selections being made from the jukebox and the wallboxes at the same time. In the UK these made for the job in metal case called a PL10B, We do stock them.

You will also require a stepper.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

martinjack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2017, 03:25:57 am
« Reply #542 on: November 07, 2017, 11:16:52 pm »
Hi Allen,
I have Rowe amp from a Eagle jukebox which is being repaired by a local tech. He informs me that the diodes on the both 'diode assembly 40862901' under the heat sink are faulty & are all black & burned etc so he can not tell what values they are & the values for the diodes are not list in the manual schematic. I have seached the web & can not find any info, so I'm hoping you can help me.

Cheers
Martin

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #543 on: November 08, 2017, 06:30:50 am »
Hi Martin,

I am sorry I have worked on an Eagle jukebox, I assume however that the amplifier will be a standard 250 watt amplifier that has two diode packs, for these to burn out the amplifier has suffered a serious fault.

I advise you to take the amplifier to a Rowe Ami specialist, if you are in the USA I suggest Bruce Wentworth at AB Leisure.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #544 on: November 08, 2017, 02:19:00 pm »
Hi Allen,
I have Rowe amp from a Eagle jukebox which is being repaired by a local tech. He informs me that the diodes on the both 'diode assembly 40862901' under the heat sink are faulty & are all black & burned etc so he can not tell what values they are & the values for the diodes are not list in the manual schematic. I have seached the web & can not find any info, so I'm hoping you can help me.

Cheers
Martin

these diodes typically do look burned/black. it's just the way they are made.

I find the most common problem with them is a broken lead solder on the board. I've never had one fail and i've had driver boards catch on fire and transistors pop and they are still fine.

i mean unless it's obviously blown out the ass and left a skidmark... i'd say they are most likely fine.

usually it's just transistors that blow unless you have a old revision board, then the drivers catch on fire and burn a trace out.

tgmilazzo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2021, 03:07:32 pm
« Reply #545 on: November 17, 2017, 03:33:10 am »
Hope this is the right place to post this. Just recently got a cd100 down to my bar and I'm having problems with the remote volume control. The regular volume control seems to work fine but when I wire the external stereo volume control 30632201 it gets really loud and I don't seem to have control anymore, like it's going to max volume. Am I supposed to unhook the built in volume control or is it possible on of the two potentiometers are bard? I tried testing them with a meter and they seem to change resistance when you turn the knob but I'm a rookie when it comes to electronics. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd love to have this thing up and running for the weekend.
Thanks,
Tony

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #546 on: November 17, 2017, 10:54:03 am »
if you install an external volume, you must unhook the one built into the jukebox.

just remove the red/black wires and tuck them out of the way... hook up your external.

tgmilazzo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #547 on: November 17, 2017, 04:03:40 pm »
Thanks that worked for the volume but the cancel on the remote is not working. I tried disconnecting one then both wires from the built in cancel button but still nothing. Any idea how to troubleshoot?
Thanks,
Tony

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #548 on: November 18, 2017, 12:50:20 pm »
can you verify the cancel on the juke works first? if it does, you may have a broken wire or button issue in the remote.

you must connect your cancel button leads between "common" and "cancel"

tgmilazzo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #549 on: November 18, 2017, 08:52:45 pm »
The cancel button on the juke works fine. Inside the remote volume knob/ cancel button combo visual inspection appears the wires that come from the knob and button to the mounting strip are all intact and soldered well. I tried jumping a wire across from white to black at the mounting strip inside the knob enclosure and that also didn't do anything? Am I understanding right that the cancel button just completes the connection from common to cancel?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #550 on: November 18, 2017, 09:37:34 pm »
yes, that should be all you need.

valkrie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #551 on: November 28, 2017, 01:23:56 am »

Hi Stu,

Time to replace the service switch or to take it appart and clean all of the contacts (a pencil rubber is the best tool for cleaning the contacts) if the contacts have lost their silver coating then you will have no option other than replacement.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Hi Alan,
I totally dismantled the service switch again and under a magnifying lamp cleaned and polished all the contacts inside with the dremel. I then reassembled it applied electronic clean and lube, worked the switch a few times and eureka I had power to the mechanism and the mech control board once more.
Incredibly there was another fault that must have occurred at exactly the same time the switch lunched itself. The orange wire to the CCC had a break in it. I replaced the wire and once more it is working again.
I just received the new tone arm cam from Erwin Boot today (the one in the machine has a groove worn into it that causes the tonearm to stick at the start of the record. All I need now is a bit of time to replace it.
Getting there a little bit at a time.
Cheers
Stu

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #552 on: November 28, 2017, 09:48:02 am »
Hi Stu,

I am glad to hear that you are making progress with the jukebox.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Mickey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2018, 01:44:55 pm
« Reply #553 on: January 09, 2018, 11:09:47 am »
Picked up a Rowe R-81 at an auction a few years back.  Just getting around to work on it.  It needs some TLC, but seems to be in OK shape.  When I plug it in, it immediately picks up a record, deposits it on the turntable and plays it.  Not perfectly but it plays.  Some adjustments are needed, but nothing that I can't take care of.

The problem is, once the record finishes playing, it is picked up, returned to the carousel then picked up and played again.  It just plays the same record over and over on its own until you shut it off or unplug it.  The carousel is not jammed as I can rotate it by hitting the scan button but whatever record i stop at just continues to play.  The "clear memory" button does not solve the problem.
The display does not light up and doesn't seem to have any power to it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  I am in upstate NY.

Thanks

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #554 on: January 11, 2018, 05:26:55 am »
Hello Mickey,

I have contacted you directly, please let us know how you get on.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

valkrie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #555 on: March 22, 2018, 06:25:36 pm »
Hi,
I need to replace the speakers and the sound deadening material in the bottom of the cabinet of my R92.
I figure whilst I am at it a clean out of the cabinet bottom would be in order (dirt,dust spider etc).
It seems that this task is pretty much impossible to do with the front door in place.
How do I remove the front door?
cheers
Stu

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #556 on: March 26, 2018, 08:18:24 am »
Hello Stu,

You will see a couple of safety wire that you will have to unclip and the door will just lift off, just undo all the plugs for the lighting etc.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

valkrie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #557 on: March 27, 2018, 05:30:59 pm »
Hello Stu,

You will see a couple of safety wire that you will have to unclip and the door will just lift off, just undo all the plugs for the lighting etc.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Thanks again Alan. I have the juke playing and selecting records I need to adjust the set down position slightly then  it will be fine. The CD changer will be next

tjstogy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2019, 10:49:05 pm
« Reply #558 on: April 02, 2018, 12:28:37 am »
Hi everyone, does anyone have a manual for a R-91 or similar model they can send me? I was hoping someone had it on their computer to send it to me (I don't want to pay $20 for a jukebox manual!)

Also, what kind of speakers (ohms/wattage) can I use for external speakers?

Thanks!

tjstogy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2019, 10:49:05 pm
« Reply #559 on: April 04, 2018, 01:21:01 am »
I have a huge issue--- I was getting distorted sound from the front left mid range speaker in my R91. In order to fix this, I've replaced all of the speakers, the needle, driver amp transistors and fuses, and cleaned all molex plug contacts with a wire brush and contact cleaner.

Still have the distortion in the left mid range speaker. Any tips on narrowing down the problems any further? Thank you!!!