Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 306715 times)

Furet87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2017, 06:57:13 am
  • I want to repair jukes box
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #480 on: January 07, 2017, 04:30:50 am »
j'ai du mal à comprendre ( traduction )
une image serait plus claire  :)

Furet87

• Offline Offline
« Reply #481 on: January 07, 2017, 12:44:30 pm »
hello Alan

I managed to partially run one of the jukes.

At times it initialises correctly the unlocking solenoid works the transfer engine turns on it makes one turn it stops and one can select.
Other times only the solenoid does not work the motor.
I found the schematics of the R82 which is similar (except for the memory unit which is more advanced, I have one of the RI-2 that is equipped with it)
I would have to take the disk drive engine because it makes a noise but I do not know how to access it.
For the position setting of the encoder I can not understand ( actually did not go back up because at the rest of the selection 100 falls to an unusable location of the charger)
Without image and with my bad notions of English I will arrive at nothing :-(

For my problem of my solenoid that does not work on the other juke, or should it look for priority coil off, bad contact or interface fault?

christian

Furet87

• Offline Offline
« Reply #482 on: January 13, 2017, 10:33:45 am »
Hello
In addition to the mark on the encoder is there another way finer because the selection lacks precision?
Christian

mikeb693@verizon.net

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2017, 07:05:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #483 on: January 29, 2017, 06:54:51 pm »
Hi,
I have a nice Rowe R90 working jukebox with the mp3 converter.
I'm tidying it up a bit, and would like to find the bottom light panel.
I'd also like to find a spare title card holder.  Any suggestions on
where to look?

Mike

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #484 on: January 30, 2017, 06:07:52 am »
Hi Mike,

What country do you live in?

It would help with suggesting where to look for parts.

If you are in the USA then  I am you best bet.

A picture of what you regard as the bottom light panel might help I assume it is the curved panel in the lower front door.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

RockabillyTim

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 24, 2018, 12:16:23 pm
« Reply #485 on: February 17, 2017, 04:07:51 pm »
Alan,
       I have an AMI E-80 Jukebox (1953) and just today I noticed the select buttons would not work. Usually when you push a button you hear it lock and the selection is then played but, today they just press in and out without a locking noise. Where do I begin my troubleshooting on this problem?

Tim

daws

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 01:06:04 pm
« Reply #486 on: March 27, 2017, 09:44:40 am »
Hi Alan,

Just come across your wise words on other topics. I have a Rowe Ami RI-2 Canterbury and the tome arm always sets down too far over onto the record - about 1cm - so it misses 20 - 30 seconds off the start.

I've just bought this and it's the first jukebox I've owned after lusting after one for years! Just need to get it 100% and I'll be on cloud 9.

I'm hoping it's an easy fix but would welcome your thoughts.

DAWS

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #487 on: March 28, 2017, 05:07:12 am »
Hello Daws,

If you have not got a manual for this jukebox Isuggest that you purchase one because you wll not be able to check all the adjustments on the mechanism wihout one, basically the adjustments on the 1200 mechanism are basically the same as the 1100 mechanisms that were in operation until the last 1100 jukebox the 1976 Rowe Ami R-80 rolled off the production line.

If you look at the back of the tone arm you will see a plate that has two pins that follow the tone arm cam, this plate is called the Cam Plate Assembly (part number 201-10727). Make sure that he two pins are over the tone arm cam and are both still attached to the plate, I have known one to be missing, rare but it can happen.

You will see there is a 4BA or 1/4 AF machine screw that tightenens this plate to the tone arm, if you slacken the screw then you can move the position of the tone arm in relation to the start of the record. This has to be done when the record is in the play position, so select a record, make it a B side so the gripper bow is out of the way. Once the stylus is on the record turn off the service switch itwill make the operation easier without the threat of rejection.

Slacken the screw and holding the tone against the lefthand pin of the two on the cam plate assembly move the tone above the lead in groove of the record, then tighten the screw, you might need an helping hand doing this.

Please let us know how you get on.

A word of warning regarding the Memory Unit and Selector Logic boards these contain CMOS chips and they are heighly suseptible to static discharge, unless you are familiar to safe handling techniques leve them well alone.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

daws

• Offline Offline
« Reply #488 on: March 29, 2017, 10:04:05 am »
Alan,

Re the tone arm set down on the RI-2, I followed your instructions and the problem is now resolved, now working perfectly. You are a true gentleman for giving out free advice.

Noting what you say about manuals, does that mean I don't actually need a specific RI-2 Canterbury manual (and I can't seem to find one on the net) just one that covers either the 1100 or 1200 mechanism?

(And to anyone else reading these posts, I cannot recommend Ami-man highly enough!)

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #489 on: March 31, 2017, 05:07:49 am »
Hello Daws,

Glad to hear you have sorted out your problem.

Regarding a manual with regards to adjustments and circuit diagrams on the boards etc, you need to obtain a manual that features the 1200 mechanism ideally the RI-2 but the following would contain the adjustment and circuit diagrams (but totally useless with regards cabinet trim information and speaker circuits) :-

1976 R-80S (they put the new R-81 parts in the R-80 cabinet)
1977 R-81
1977 RI-2
1978 R-82
1978 CTI-1SC
1979 R-83

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

daws

• Offline Offline
« Reply #490 on: April 01, 2017, 07:13:21 am »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the manual advice.

Unfortunately, the jukebox is now playing slow, about 43rpm!

I'm wondering if this is linked to doing the tone arm adjustments. Or could it be that it didn't like being switched off in mid play to do the adjustment.

Seems too much of a coincidence for it to have happened when it did (and I think it was slow immediately after the adjustment, but I didn't notice in my excitement of getting the initial problem fixed.)

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #491 on: April 03, 2017, 10:22:39 am »
Hello Daws,

The turntable motor on RI-2 is a 110/120 volt motor that drives an idler wheel.

You need to inspect the turntable motor by removing the turntable. Inspect the motor shaft for any side to side or forward and movement on the bearings (up and down movement is normal) if there is movement in the bearing the motor will need to be replaced (yes we do stock them).

Check the idler wheel linkage and the idler wheel, if the idler wheel has been stood for a long time it tends to put a dint in the circumfrence of the wheel, again if this is the case it will need replacing (again we stock them).

Remove the idler wheel, linkage and turntable and wash them in warm soapy water to remove any traces of lubrication, dry off and refit, lubricate with one spot of oil on all of the linkage pivot points. idler wheel and turntable shaft. If you have not already stripped down the turntable motor to get to the bottom bearing to remove any build up of old oil, do so now. Relubricate with a couple of drops of oil down the oil tube to the bottom bearing and put one spot of oil onto the top bearing.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

kingstontom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2017, 08:54:26 pm
« Reply #492 on: April 05, 2017, 07:59:15 pm »
Hi Alan,

I'm new to the forum and had a question that I wonder if you could offer me some advice. I'm repairing a bad channel on a Rowe 61024902 amp from a CD-100 jukebox. My manual only lists the 61024901 amp's schematic, so I'm at a loss trying to find out what the values are for the diodes on the diode assembly 40862901 are. The amp schematic that I have mentions the 40837401 diode assembly, but it doesn't say what the values are, and it doesn't feature the white wires and diode wired in series between the output devices on the heat sink. It just has the green wires with the diodes in series between P3 and P4.

Would you happen to know the specs for the diode between the white wires and the diodes in series between the green wires on the 40862901 on the 61024902 amp? Do you have any other advice for this diode assembly board? Heat sink compound had been applied to the diodes so that they'd conduct heat to the heat sink better, so I'll be reapplying that as I replace the output devices as well. Thanks much in advance for your reply.

Tom

pockets78

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2017, 10:18:49 pm
« Reply #493 on: April 06, 2017, 08:23:54 pm »
Just picked up a mostly working R-91 "Compact Disc" model.  45s work great after a little work, but the Pioneer PD-M6 6-disc player is shot (bad optic and bad ribbon cable to the optic).  I have the IR controller that screws into the front of the PD-M6.  Question is, Is the Pioneer PD-M6 the only model that will work, or are there others that I can replace it with?  I've heard a PD-403 will work, but it looks like that model does not have an IR receiver (according to the manual at http://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/97110208.pdf).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-John

scottabs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2017, 08:21:06 am
« Reply #494 on: April 06, 2017, 09:45:49 pm »
Hi,
I picked up a Rowe AMI Diplomat JAN-200 a few weeks ago and I'm having trouble getting it to stop scanning after I make a selection.  The manual says to check the R2 relay, but I don't see any "activity" in that relay after I make a selection and I have not taken it off to diagnose further.   I did clean the R1 and R5 contacts, as well as the S1 and S2 contacts (after reading posts here), but that didn't make a difference.  A couple of notes, that may or may not be related to the problem are:

- The previous owner said it was working prior to a move.  When I inspected the mech, the stop switch drive gear was missing a big chunk of the gear.  I purchased a replacement gear, and installed it, and it seems to scan correctly (manually)

- The coin gear is missing, and it looks like they wired in a credit button on the outside of the jukebox.  Again, it might not be related to my issue, but I thought I would mention it.

Scott

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #495 on: April 07, 2017, 05:32:14 am »
Hi Scott,

The 1965 Model N Diplomat is slightly smaller jukebox compaired the models L & M, I have seen good models and some very poor examples.

What controls the mechanism stopping its revolution and a third is the switch on the Scan Control Assembly.

I would also check out camswitch two.

When you mention the stop switch drive gear I assume that you mean the pinion & plate assembly (the metal gear with the plastic teeth on it, part number 301-05181).

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

scottabs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #496 on: April 07, 2017, 08:31:51 am »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply.  I might have used the wrong term when I said the "mech keeps scanning after I make a selection".  It is the search unit that keeps scanning, as opposed to the magazine that keeps turning.  If you did assume that I meant the search unit, then I need a little help identifying the two parts you mentioned.  On my scan control assembly, I only see one switch in the manual, part 200-10731.  I'm also not sure where to find camswitch two.

And yes, I replaced the metal gear with the plastic teeth as it was missing a chunk of about 10 teeth. 

Scott

Mike73Deauville

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2017, 07:10:12 pm
« Reply #497 on: April 07, 2017, 12:35:10 pm »
Hi
I have a TI-1 that stopped a couple of years ago and i am so desperate to get it up and working again. on selection i hear relays move on the second button press during selection but nothing else happens. the amp works and carousel turns on reject but not sure where to start, have just ordered a service manual so hope i will be able to follow any advise and the manual to get it working. I have many years experience on mechanical electrical servicing  and feel confident that i can resolve if pointed in the right direction. I live in the Berkshire area of the uk hope you can help. Regards Mike

anhuret

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2017, 06:13:50 pm
  • Have a great day!
« Reply #498 on: April 09, 2017, 09:50:32 am »
Hello,

My dad recently purchased a ROWE R-92 for my mum as a birthday gift.  It was working perfectly until we brought it home.
There is an ER17 code that comes up when it switches on, but the arm will only move so far and no record will change.
The lights all work perfectly. We think it is an arm malfunction but we are not sure what is causing it 100% as we have never owned a jukebox previously.

I will try to provide more information soon. Any help is appreciated.  :)

-------
EDIT:
Hello,

We have fixed the jukebox!

We found out it was an issue with tonearm bearings.

Dad switched the jukebox on, did a selection on the keypad, when the arm put record onto the record deck he switched the power off and put his hand under the back of the tone arm and lifted the cam up and moved it over to the left -- it had been jolted out when it was moved. It's beautiful when it plays!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:03:00 pm by anhuret »

pockets78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #499 on: April 09, 2017, 04:35:49 pm »
Just picked up a mostly working R-91 "Compact Disc" model.  45s work great after a little work, but the Pioneer PD-M6 6-disc player is shot.

Just FYI, picked up another PD-M6 and it works great (little pricier than some of the newer models, but I didn't want to risk them not working).  The R-91 takes a while to initialize (777), but once it does, it's nice!

-John

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #500 on: April 10, 2017, 10:28:54 am »
Hi
I have a TI-1 that stopped a couple of years ago and i am so desperate to get it up and working again. on selection i hear relays move on the second button press during selection but nothing else happens. the amp works and carousel turns on reject but not sure where to start, have just ordered a service manual so hope i will be able to follow any advise and the manual to get it working. I have many years experience on mechanical electrical servicing  and feel confident that i can resolve if pointed in the right direction. I live in the Berkshire area of the uk hope you can help. Regards Mike

Hi Mike,

Give me a call on 0114 247 0242.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #501 on: April 10, 2017, 10:34:59 am »
Just picked up a mostly working R-91 "Compact Disc" model.  45s work great after a little work, but the Pioneer PD-M6 6-disc player is shot.

Just FYI, picked up another PD-M6 and it works great (little pricier than some of the newer models, but I didn't want to risk them not working).  The R-91 takes a while to initialize (777), but once it does, it's nice!

-John

Hi John,

My advice would have been to obtain a PD-M6, one of the main issues on these was the 6 player cartridge/cassette.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

scottabs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #502 on: April 10, 2017, 01:18:26 pm »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply.  I might have used the wrong term when I said the "mech keeps scanning after I make a selection".  It is the search unit that keeps scanning, as opposed to the magazine that keeps turning.  If you did assume that I meant the search unit, then I need a little help identifying the two parts you mentioned.  On my scan control assembly, I only see one switch in the manual, part 200-10731.  I'm also not sure where to find camswitch two.

And yes, I replaced the metal gear with the plastic teeth as it was missing a chunk of about 10 teeth. 

Scott

Hi Alan,

Just checking to see if you got my reply above?  From what I can tell, it never stops to register the selection I make.  If I manually push in a pin, and go back and forth the between the "scan" and "on" position, it will go into the transfer mode.  But, it never seems to register what I select via the keyboard.  (A1, V2, etc...)

Scott

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #503 on: April 11, 2017, 06:23:56 am »
Hi Scott,

I think we are at a point where you had better contact me directly to sort out your problem.

You can phone me on 0114 247 0242 or email at alan-hood@datex.co.uk

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

pockets78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #504 on: April 11, 2017, 09:14:59 pm »
Trying to figure out the fluorescent lighting on the front door.  I have a Rowe R-91, and I have replaced the lamp (F18T8/CW/K26, was in there originally) and the FS-2 starter, but it still flickers.  Its an even flickering, almost like it would be on a dimmer.   Looking at http://www.angelfire.com/ga/seeburg/jinfo.html#rowe , it looks like I should have used a F26T8CW4 lamp (also 18W 26").  Any idea if I should try that one, or just replace the Ballast?

Thanks,
-John

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #505 on: April 12, 2017, 05:09:54 am »
Hi John,

What country do you live in?

If it is in Europe then you have to make sure that the tubes are American Flow Tubes and the starter is 110 volts.

With the tube flickering, does it light if you remove the starter, if this is the case then you have fitted a faulty or unsuitable starter.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

smalltownguy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #506 on: April 19, 2017, 12:14:10 pm »
Hey all,

Picked up an R-94 this week. Mechanism seeks and loads 45's just fine. Tone arm swings over and drops on the record, but the turntable is not turning. I can see the motor spindle turning, but the belt is not moving the turntable. I can manually spin the turntable, but it seems like it's gummed up - should the turntable require much force to turn it?

When I do move the turntable by hand, I get sound from the tone arm, so the amp is working correctly.

Aside from maybe looking at purchasing a new belt, what else should I be doing to this turntable to get it rotating correctly? Any videos out there I can watch?

Thanks!
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #507 on: April 20, 2017, 06:12:01 am »
Hi Smalltownguy,

Remove the turntable from the mechanism and wash it down with warm soapy water to remove old traces of oil/grease, rince and dry off and rub two spots of oil on the turntable shaft. make sure this runs smoothly and then fit the belt after you have washed & dried it.

Select a record, once it has started playing hold the edhge of the record, the turntable should still spin underneath the record, if it does not replace the turntablebelt.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

tonearmsam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 16, 2017, 12:22:31 pm
« Reply #508 on: April 20, 2017, 05:38:24 pm »
Alan,

In regards to my previous post I was able to get my R-90 repaired and it is now playing perfectly. I just have two questions.

• I have it set to free play and want to set it back to coin-op mode. Does anyone have the code/process?
  • The speakers on the door work fine but the speakers inside the frame at the bottom behind the door are dead. I am trying to replace them with something currently available. I know they are 8ohm speakers that appear to be 8" round. Is there something comparable that you can recommend.

Thanks.

Wizards_hand

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2017, 06:04:26 am
« Reply #509 on: May 24, 2017, 06:00:15 am »
I juat bought an ami r 87 model and it sounds great my problem is the display only shows selection 100 and only play the record thats in 100...any ideas? Oh im in northwest ohio area in the united states...

cordd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2017, 08:54:19 pm
  • Rowe R-91 jukebox
« Reply #510 on: May 24, 2017, 04:18:35 pm »
Hi, Alan,

I have a Rowe R-91. I have an intermittent problem at the volume control plug on the amplifier. I lose audio to on or both channels. When I wiggle it, I can restore the audio back. The pins on the amplifier to not appear to be loose and the connections on the plug appear ok as well. There are three wires on the plug. I assume two are L/R channel and the other is a common ground. I have not pulled the amp out to inspect it.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

cordd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2017, 08:54:19 pm
  • Rowe R-91 jukebox
« Reply #511 on: May 25, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »
Update:
I need to pull the amp and inspect it. Wiggling the mono/stereo switch affects the audio as well.

My instinct it is a problem somewehere on the circuit board. I would like to check the three wired plug that goes into the volume control plug for continuity. Can anyone tell me where the wires from the volume control plug go to? Thanks.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #512 on: May 30, 2017, 09:43:58 am »
Hello Cordd,

It sounds as if you have dry joints (cold joints USA) to the header pins on the three boards in the amplifier.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

FuriousNotFast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2024, 02:53:44 pm
« Reply #513 on: July 28, 2017, 03:51:06 pm »
Edit: I see that you already answered my question in an earlier post! Thanks
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:03:51 pm by FuriousNotFast »

dicko456

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2018, 03:57:33 pm
« Reply #514 on: July 29, 2017, 03:52:23 am »
Hi Alan,
I have a R-86 which is used as a big bluetooth speaker but I'd like to revive the mechanism which isn't working at all.
At first I thought it was the CCC because the battery had leaked everywhere, so I removed the battery and installed the CPU upgrade from cdadapter.com, but no luck.

There are no dry joints and the voltages are all present and appear clean when checked with a scope. The "tran motor" LED comes on and the transfer motor used to continuously run, but that has now stopped since I have been messing with it, now just the LED comes on.

I'm a lapsed electronic engineer and used to work on these boxes a long time ago and still have a mechanism manual, but I can't find a manual which shows the wiring and the mech controller - do you know if any of the manuals available do have this info so that I can order one?

Please let me know which manual I should get, or any pointers.

Cheers,
Andy

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #515 on: July 31, 2017, 05:32:49 am »
Hello Andy,

I can not help you with a manual, you need to look out for one of the large brown shop manuals for the R-84 to R-88.

These are few and far to obtain.

If you wish however to send me the following boards for testing/repair, please contact me off of line.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

alan-hood@datex.co.uk

dastardly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2017, 03:46:44 am
« Reply #516 on: August 27, 2017, 04:58:10 am »
hi guys Craig here from OZ, I have a cd 100 e and I have  a few problems one is the title page turner when you push the buttons it only works when it feels like it a PITA I have power to the motor connector checked all connectors and it changes easy when turned by hand the control module looks good by eye all joints soldered well no burnt capacitors (by eye) the second is the spinning disc attractor motor doesn't turn have power to the motor can  I service the motor or is it a throw away unite thanks for reading or any help Craig

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #517 on: August 28, 2017, 02:37:53 pm »
those motors seem to easily get wore out and need to be replaced.

saag1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2017, 03:27:27 am
« Reply #518 on: August 29, 2017, 04:01:59 am »
Hello,

I have a 1973 AMI/Rowe deauville TI-1. Working just fine until about a month ago. Jukebox didnt play the songs I selected. I would select a song and it would just roll a full cycle and not play anything. Then I would put in a couple more selections and it would play again. Maybe not in the order I selected, but still play them and remember what I had selected previously.

I thought this could be a lubrication issue since it hadnt been oiled in at least 10-15 years. I carefully oiled(sewing machine oil or such and WD-40) a few spots in the machine following the owners manual. After this all noise coming from the machine was a lot smoother, BUT now it plays reeeaally slow. I found a video where a guy explains where you have to clean excess oil and so on, but its still slow. If I carefully adjust the Speed Shift Coil & Idler Wheel Assembly while playing, it will get more speed but wont maintain it. Do I have to replace the speed shift coil? Thank you guys in advance for any help I might get!

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #519 on: August 30, 2017, 10:10:42 am »
those motors seem to easily get wore out and need to be replaced.

Usually on the attract motors it is the gearbox that fails, so it is a complete replacement that is required.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man