Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 309233 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:35:47 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2015, 11:23:00 am »
do remove the records from the unit. tape everything that can move around (tone arm etc.) be sure to remove everything once you've moved it. trying to move a taped down part can seriously ruin a machine.

wrap it up with a moving blanket (can be purchased from uhaul for a couple bucks each) and be cautious of strapping it. the plastic on older machines is brittle as glass and too much strain can bust it wide open. try and strap it around the midpoint where there is some meat to it with no plastic or glass.

don't just toss it in the back of a truck and go rippin' down a dirt road.

ami-man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2015, 05:04:55 am »
Hello Alfonzotan,

I agree with lilshawn, remove the records and transport separately, tape the gripper arm down and the trurntable and tone arm, you may need to have some small pieces of polystyrene to pack under the tone arm (large elastic bands can also come in handy).

The mechanism should be able to be locked down to the cabinet in the four corners.

Check items such has the amplifier, coin mechanism in fact anything that is just hooked in place, secure with screws (always check on the length of screws if screwing into the side of the cabinet) tape or in the case of the coin mechanism you can remove it. Check that lights are secure in their lamp holders and tape if necessary.

One you have got the jukebox on the truck or trailer, because it is castors you will need to lift it slightly off the floor, you could use a couple of 4 x 2's  or some thick polystyrene, I would put plenty of layers of bubble wrap over the glasses and plastic trim before covering with blankets. 

Lilshawn is correct re gettin a strap around the middle section, if you can also get a strap around the bottom trim.

Please let us know how you get on with the removal.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2015, 07:22:09 am »
Thanks very much.  I suspect the hardest part of this move is going to be getting it out of my Father-In-Law's basement.  :banghead:

Is it feasible/advisable to remove the large plastic panels?  I've read a lot about how fragile they are.

ruckusninja

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2015, 07:39:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #283 on: July 21, 2015, 07:20:50 pm »
I just purchased a Rowe AMI R92, it came without an amp. Would you happen to know where I could get one inexpensively? Or, barring that, any thoughts on converting to a standard Peavy amp by direct wiring the speakers and converting the player to RCA's?

Dylanoreo21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2015, 11:24:25 pm
  • Arcade trouble shooter
« Reply #284 on: July 22, 2015, 01:31:15 am »
Hello I just bought a repaired amp for my Rowe r-94 and it was working but the sound wouldn't go up or down just quiet so I thought it was the volume knob so I waited then the next day I plugged it back in and I got a constant squeal but when you unplug the speaker out puts on amp it quits any ideas thanks for your reply in advance :hissy:   :dizzy:
Working on them is  the fun part

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #285 on: August 09, 2015, 04:31:09 pm »

Please let us know how you get on with the removal.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Well, I'm happy to report that we made the move yesterday (800 miles!) and got the AMI Model b indoors at its new home with a minimum of blood loss and no (visible) damage.  As we didn't get finished until nearly 1AM after the long drive, I didn't try anything out until this morning.

The good news:  the jukebox worked near-perfectly on the first try; the tonearm cam needs adjustment for the correct starting point, but other than that, good operation.

The bad news:  I rolled the thing across the room to where we wanted it... and the turntable and amp are now not working.  800 miles on the road and two tired people muscling it indoors in the dark, no problem.  Roll it six feet across carpet, and pffft!

The old AMI manual indicates the likely cause is "open circuit through the contacts of the control relay."  I'll take a swipe at troubleshooting soon...

Klubbrik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2015, 12:52:21 pm
« Reply #286 on: August 25, 2015, 12:29:26 pm »
Hi,
What model could this jukebox be?
On the front: Rowe AMI
on the rear side label: Model: MMT-33B (or ITTI-33B) very difficult to read
SN: 739762
ROWE USA
Autoimport AB Sweden

I cannot find any model close to this ...???

The jukebox problem is a humming noice and no music.
I have found one lose wire on the external volume control potentiometer that I will solder and try ....

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #287 on: August 25, 2015, 10:38:47 pm »
I would just take a picture and post it here. It appears to have been imported to your country and may have a custom model identifying it.

A broken wire on the volume pot could be causing the amp to run wide open causing the humm.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #288 on: August 26, 2015, 09:38:37 am »
Hello Klubbrik,

Go on the the Stamann website www.jukebox-world.de and go into their Archieve section and click on Rowe Ami and then the camera sign, this will show you every Rowe Ami jukebox made.

I suspect that you well find that your jukebox is the 1969 Rowe Ami MM-3 Music Miracle, this came in three "Change A Scene" front panels.

Moon Burst, Spinning Wheel & Flower Girl.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Thewizkid98

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2017, 10:01:29 am
« Reply #289 on: September 11, 2015, 05:17:05 pm »
Hello Alan.

I'm in the U.S. I have a Rowe AMI T1 1973 Seville
It was in a friends basement for years. It powers up and there is a record on the turntable. and the arm/needle is on label part of the record. But it won't move and the record doesn't return to the tray. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jay.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2015, 04:58:26 am »
    Id be wondering if the transfer arm wasn't seized, It can be quite a daunting task to take that apart your first time.....Take lots of pics.

Thewizkid98

• Offline Offline
« Reply #291 on: September 13, 2015, 02:09:11 am »
Update. If I press the button on the side of the turntable it will take a record put it on the turntable the turntable will rotate the arm will come over an rest on the record.
But the records do not rotate and when I make a selection nothing will happen at all.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #292 on: September 13, 2015, 10:38:40 am »
   There should be a service/run mode switch too may want to have a look at that.

Thewizkid98

• Offline Offline
« Reply #293 on: September 13, 2015, 04:42:01 pm »
There is, it says on off scan. When I go to scan it tries to rotates the records but it barely moves them

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #294 on: September 14, 2015, 09:44:57 pm »
   That just doesn't seem right, It should spin at a fairly good speed, First thing I would do is get a manual and perform all basic service on it and check all fuses if you find a burnt one your job is fairly easy cause that narrows your search down to that circuit ... Those gripper arm assembly's tend to get sticky with age, and even though it works would be creating quite a draw, there is no "quick fix here just time for a rebuild . The carriage motor I would be suspicious of already and would bench test that, And finally (with your manual in hand) take a close look at the selection unit, my guess that's where your problem lies.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #295 on: September 15, 2015, 10:08:49 am »
Hi Jay,

Welcome to the forum.

"There is, it says on off scan. When I go to scan it tries to rotates the records but it barely moves them"

Do you mean the records or do you mean the revolving of the mechanism/carousel?

I would strip down the gripper bow assembly and the idler wheel and linkage, once removed from the jukebox wash in soapy water and then check the parts for any wear and replace if needed (we do stock all of the parts if needed).

Are you able to select records?
Is the search unit revolving and pushing out the correct pins?

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Thewizkid98

• Offline Offline
« Reply #296 on: September 15, 2015, 02:22:23 pm »
Hello Alan

The carousel barely moves in the scan mode. If I push the button on the lower right side in the run mode a record will be taken out and will play. But that's the only way. If I make a selection the buttons will stay pushed in. An I hear a noise from within the mechanism but nothing will happen. I've checked all the fuses vacuum tube all are good. There are no loose or broken wires. The carousel. The selector and the wheel at the bottom all read the same letter/number.

But the funny thing is. Is that the selecter showing the selection being played is in the front. Not on the side where I believe it should be. Where it would be seen though the viewing window when the top is closed.

mycapricess

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2023, 09:32:20 pm
« Reply #297 on: September 15, 2015, 03:15:01 pm »
Hi am new to the forum but i have a Rowe AMI R-88 that i pulled off the side of the road.

It gets power and the lights come on but that is about it.  Once i got it open I could see that i am getting power into the unit but from what some people have told me the computer is bad.  Is there a way to test it?  The computer has 777 in the number stick on it.  I was told that these ones are not rebuildable.  I found used ones but want to confirm it before i spend the money.  Also is there any way to test the mech before putting in a new computer.

Thank You

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #298 on: September 16, 2015, 06:07:21 am »
Hello Jay,

My advice is as follows:-

Remove the search unit at selection position A1 by undoing the three larger bolts through the search unit.
Put to one side for the mement.

Look at the Stop Plate Assembly, you will see that the 200 (or 00) timing mark is oposite a step in the metal frame on the right where two of the bolts go into. Remove the stop plate assembly.

Check out the condition of the Sprag wheel for any defects, if ok. clean the tracks on the back of the stop plate assembly with a pencil rubber (eraser) then wipe with a lint free cloth. Put a spot of oil on the shaft that the stop plate goes onto before repositioning to the 200 timing mark.

Try turning the basket around  whilst disengaging the sprang link by pulling in the plunger assembly. If this feels very tight when turning by hand more than likely you will have too much tension on the sprag wheel gear. loosen the three machine screws (2BA) that hold the sprag assembly plate onto the mechanism. It needs to be tightened so the gears engage fully (this prevents too much side to side movement of the basket when the sprag is locked) but not too tight by putting strain on the motor and gears.

With your selection issues I suggest that you clean the two open relays (S1 & S2) contacts on the search unit with a paper taper (do not any sprays sandpaper or files) this will clean the surface of the contacts, adjust for operation both open & closed contacts. On your keyboard/button bank under a small plastic cover is relays R1 & R5 clean the contacts on these relays as well.

Please report back to us with your findings.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #299 on: September 16, 2015, 06:15:35 am »
Hi am new to the forum but i have a Rowe AMI R-88 that i pulled off the side of the road.

It gets power and the lights come on but that is about it.  Once i got it open I could see that i am getting power into the unit but from what some people have told me the computer is bad.  Is there a way to test it?  The computer has 777 in the number stick on it.  I was told that these ones are not rebuildable.  I found used ones but want to confirm it before i spend the money.  Also is there any way to test the mech before putting in a new computer.

Thank You

Welcome to the forum.

If your CCC (Central Control Computer) starts with the number 4-7773-01 (the revision number could be different) these can be tested/repaired, but your jukebox is a R-89 to R-94 not a R-88 which used the earlier CCC 6-08870-01 (to -06)

If you are in the USA Bruce Wentworth of AB Leisure repairs these. I do repairs from customers worldwide.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

dolph

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2015, 02:16:37 am
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2015, 06:50:13 am »
I have a rowe ami cd 100 jukebox. I put on a track played fine next selection basket picked up cd no sound .I ejected cd made a n other selection nothing .plus the card basket won't move anymore. All lights working fine .After few minutes it says out of order. Need advice thanks regards dolph.

dolph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2015, 08:43:13 am »
First time on .my rowe ami cd 100 jukebox  .All lights working but stopped playing cds .worked fine then next song no sound then cage won't respond and basket won't turn. Says out of order .Can anyone help please .regards dolph.

mycapricess

• Offline Offline
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2015, 03:26:01 pm »
Alan talked to Bruce already he said it was not repairable attached are pics of the CCC and model number

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

mycapricess

• Offline Offline
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2015, 03:26:57 pm »
Pics

dolph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #304 on: September 18, 2015, 03:42:08 am »
I have a rowe ami cd 100 jukebox. I put on a track played fine next selection basket picked up cd no sound .I ejected cd made a n other selection nothing .plus the card basket won't move anymore. All lights working fine .After few minutes it says out of order. Need advice thanks regards dolph.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #305 on: September 18, 2015, 06:38:13 am »
Alan talked to Bruce already he said it was not repairable attached are pics of the CCC and model number

My guess is that Rowe Ami were using up spare R-88 cabinets (the same happened with the R-80S that had the new R-81 guts) it is that or someone just fitted the newere CCC after altering some of the wiring.

We can repair/substitute your CCC, but we are in the UK

You can email me on the following address:-

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

Thewizkid98

• Offline Offline
« Reply #306 on: September 18, 2015, 04:11:35 pm »
Hello Jay,

My advice is as follows:-

Remove the search unit at selection position A1 by undoing the three larger bolts through the search unit.
Put to one side for the mement.

Look at the Stop Plate Assembly, you will see that the 200 (or 00) timing mark is oposite a step in the metal frame on the right where two of the bolts go into. Remove the stop plate assembly.

Check out the condition of the Sprag wheel for any defects, if ok. clean the tracks on the back of the stop plate assembly with a pencil rubber (eraser) then wipe with a lint free cloth. Put a spot of oil on the shaft that the stop plate goes onto before repositioning to the 200 timing mark.

Try turning the basket around  whilst disengaging the sprang link by pulling in the plunger assembly. If this feels very tight when turning by hand more than likely you will have too much tension on the sprag wheel gear. loosen the three machine screws (2BA) that hold the sprag assembly plate onto the mechanism. It needs to be tightened so the gears engage fully (this prevents too much side to side movement of the basket when the sprag is locked) but not too tight by putting strain on the motor and gears.

With your selection issues I suggest that you clean the two open relays (S1 & S2) contacts on the search unit with a paper taper (do not any sprays sandpaper or files) this will clean the surface of the contacts, adjust for operation both open & closed contacts. On your keyboard/button bank under a small plastic cover is relays R1 & R5 clean the contacts on these relays as well.

Please report back to us with your findings.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Thanks Alan. But I have a few problems I don't know anything about jukeboxes an there is no manual.
So I'm not understanding anything you just told me.

Sorry.
Jay

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #307 on: September 20, 2015, 10:13:07 pm »
it is a little daunting but not completely impossible. get a book, take your time. keep track of the parts...how the come out, how they are ordered...their orientation. take notes, pics, draw pictures. when i first started ripping things apart i'd tape them to a piece of paper in the position they came from and label everything so parts would go back where they came from. no extra parts.

but if you are still super uncomfortable, in that case, whizkid, it may be more beneficial to take it to someone who knows these machines. it won't be cheap...but they will certainly get it fixed up.

Thewizkid98

• Offline Offline
« Reply #308 on: September 20, 2015, 11:49:54 pm »
Thanks lilshawn

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #309 on: September 21, 2015, 06:22:23 am »
Hi Jay,

As Lilshaw says get the manual and read it a few times before you even look at it.
In order for any of the forum members to help you on this and other jukebox forums you will need to know what the parts of the jukebox are called, a basic knowledge of there operation.

The alternative is to pay someone to repair the jukebox for you.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

mycapricess

• Offline Offline
« Reply #310 on: September 22, 2015, 01:26:39 pm »

My guess is that Rowe Ami were using up spare R-88 cabinets (the same happened with the R-80S that had the new R-81 guts) it is that or someone just fitted the newere CCC after altering some of the wiring.

We can repair/substitute your CCC, but we are in the UK

You can email me on the following address:-

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
alan-hood@datex.co.uk
Any chance you can tell me how to test it to confirm its bad?

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #311 on: September 23, 2015, 05:59:46 am »
Hello mycapricess,

Have you error codes on the CCC?
If you put the service switch into service and press the canel button (near to the tone arm) what happens?
Are all of the leds lit on the power supply?

Regards
Alan

Dylanoreo21

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade trouble shooter
« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2015, 05:10:48 pm »
Hi can someone please help me with this
We have a Rowe r-94 that no sound would come out
So we bought a rebuilt amp and installed it
Then when powered on there was a high pitch squeal
Then the next week it was powered on and sounded fine everything worked
Then a month later turned it on and the squeals back
Any ideas ???? Thanks in advance  :hissy: :dizzy:

Dylanoreo21

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade trouble shooter
« Reply #313 on: October 19, 2015, 08:00:28 pm »
)Jr. MemberPosts: 5Arcade trouble shooter 

« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2015, 05:10:48 pm »

QuoteModify

Hi can someone please help me with this 
We have a Rowe r-94 that no sound would come out
So we bought a rebuilt amp and installed it
Then when powered on there was a high pitch squeal
Then the next week it was powered on and sounded fine everything worked
Then a month later turned it on and the squeals back 
Any ideas ?

mycapricess

• Offline Offline
« Reply #314 on: October 30, 2015, 10:27:33 am »
Hello mycapricess,

Have you error codes on the CCC?
If you put the service switch into service and press the canel button (near to the tone arm) what happens?
Are all of the leds lit on the power supply?

Regards
Alan

If you plug it in put into service mode and hit the cancel button near the tone are nothing happens.  All the lights on the power supply are lit.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #315 on: October 30, 2015, 01:56:56 pm »

The R84 through R88 CCC boards can be repaired with this module:

http://www.cdadapter.com/r84chip.htm

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #316 on: November 02, 2015, 05:51:12 am »
Hi Ken,

The topic is about a R-89 to R-94 CCC 4-077730-1 (onwards).

Bruce says he can not repair these and the CD Adaptor board can not be used on these CCC's.

Regards
Alan

mycapricess

• Offline Offline
« Reply #317 on: November 05, 2015, 05:30:44 pm »
So what options do I have just a used one?

jdemarti

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2022, 10:57:25 am
« Reply #318 on: November 16, 2015, 10:14:43 pm »
Hello

I am having trouble with my CD100C. When I choose a CD right after power up the jukebox plays the right one.  If I then choose a sequential cd, the pickup will be off by 2. For example.  I power on the jukebox and choose cd 80, it will play cd 80 fine.  I then choose cd 82, it will move to the cd 84 position, if I then choose cd 84, it will play cd 86 or even cd 88, and so on.  However, If I choose something on the opposite side, say 01, it will play 01 then start messing up again if I choose 03, etc

I changed the MECH controller and the CCC. Same issue.   I must be overlooking something here.

Any help would be appreciated. 

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #319 on: November 17, 2015, 07:44:35 am »
I would check the opto switch adjustment and also clean the opto switch and the magazine gear for any dirt build up.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK