Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 306597 times)

derf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2015, 02:32:49 am
  • One Toke Over The Line
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2014, 10:37:21 am »
Thank you both.

Alan -- if the left channel is blown and I need to "double up" to get both channels through the right side, does the left E4  get attached along with the right E4, etc? 

My neighbor and I have not gotten together to carry out the next troubleshooting steps as outlined by LilWayne.    His wife makes homemade custom candy and he is part of the "packaging line".  You can imagine the stress in that household this time of year.....

Anyway, I relayed LW's last assessment to him verbally so he's up to speed.
I'll post back w more results when I have them

Thanks again.

Derf
Look Mummy......there's an aeroplane up in the sky........

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2014, 11:58:38 pm »
OK, got an update tonight from owner.

Plugging the amp into the unswitched service outlet restored sound from the jukebox speakers though I don't know which ones, so the amp is at least partly functional.  We have not not yet pulled the amp to see if the previously replaced fuse has again blown, signaling trouble on that channel.

Owner states that when he turns off the machine with the switch in the back, he hears what he described as a high pitched tone coming through the speakers.  I explained to him that the amp was now plugged into an unswitched outlet and therefore always on, powering the amp.

My question is how much if any and what type of noise should I expect to hear with just the amp on?  Is it due to an imbalance between the output transistors on that one working channel? (output should be zero but bias is off kilter?).  Man it's been years since I troubleshot (?) anything with good ol' fashioned discrete components.  Kind of refreshing actually.  I'm sure they don't teach the kids any of this in school today...

Thanks again.

More updates as they develop.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2014, 12:59:27 am »
     Jennifer would go right for the transformer and make sure you got the small signals available to pull the relays.... Apparently they are not teaching this much anymore, most of my test equipment is from college/tech school/gov. sellouts.

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2014, 11:39:52 am »
Thank you Jennifer.
Unfortunately I do not have a schematic (flying blind) --- could Jennifer please be more specific about where the small signals should be, and what/where is the location of the relays Jennifer discussed?

Thanks

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2014, 11:46:00 am »
the amp normally emits some static and sound (hiss etc) when it's powered on but not muted (the system ties a wire to ground to mute the amp to be silent when it's not playing.) when the system gets powered off, that is left hanging and the amp is left unmuted. it's picking up stray signals and amplifying them.

you'll have to inspect the power supply unit and see why the amp socket isn't working. i have a feeling it's dead and that small transient 12 volts AC you are reading is just some bleed off through a filtering cap on the AC input you are reading. you may have a blown circuit breaker/fuse on that outlet.

knightthorne

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2014, 04:08:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2014, 01:29:24 pm »
Hello all. I am new here to this forum. I am in the USA, Colorado.

Any help anyone may have is greatly appreciated. I am a general repair technician, and not specifically an arcade game, or jukebox repair technician (tho I do a bit of this work quite often).

I am working on a Rowe AMI MM1A Music Merchant. It is loaded with 45's. It is the model with the 100 watt amplifier module. This unit was purchased "blind" by one of my clients at a charity fundraiser auction about a year ago. As purchased, it had very many issues. We have resolved most of them, and now have it almost completely working.

We do have the parts manual, and the service manual (both from victory glass).

Here are the current questions and issues:

1) How does one establish what year this model is? Can this be derived from the devices serial number?

2) Unit accepts, accumulates, and clears credits. However, is there any way to set this unit for "Free Play"? (the client just wants it to always allow selections as it is just in his man cave)

3) We can select and play a record, it is delivered to the platter, and cleared correctly. However, this will only work for letters (D, F, H, K, M, P, R, T, V).
All numbers will play within these letters (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0). We can select the other letters (A,B,C,E,G,J,L,N,Q,S,U) with all numbers (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0) however, the search and select unit will not activate a pin for any of these letters (A,B,C,E,G,J,L,N,Q,S,U) regardless of the number (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0). It will spin the select coil arm assembly, however, it won't select a pin. I am aware that all of the "failing letters" are on the outer ring, except for letter (B). Realizing this, we swapped the wires for the 2 coil feeds on the outer wiper assembly, in an attempt to test the outer selection coil, and the associated pins. Once this was done, we could make the unit play records on the filing letters. So the outer coil, it's leads, and the outer pins are all functioning. We have of course returned the wires to their original position following this test. Any Ideas here? It almost seems like a key selection issue (like a keyboard matrix failure).... but maybe not.

I appreciate anything you can do to provide guidance, or suggestions to point us in the right direction.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2014, 02:50:37 pm »
check for a bad lead between the button panel selector unit. if it's attached to the door, the flexing of the wires from opening and closing the door can break the wires.

knightthorne

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2014, 04:08:13 pm
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2014, 03:24:14 pm »
Is there any particular lead set you would recommend as being likely to cause such a widespread failure? or do you suggest just checking through them all? Either is of course doable, just looking to streamline the process. Also, the button set is not on the door on this model. It is mounted into the main / lower case.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2014, 08:58:02 pm »
    Re: Derf:  Rather than confuse you Signal distribution most likely isn't your problem, It was merely a thought to get a closer look at the transformer and maybe find out where your 120v went.... You really should look into getting a manual, Check the input transformer, and rebuild the amp (IMO),  AND make a new work thread to not only document it for future generations, but also to let Jenn see your baby. ::) .

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2014, 12:02:38 am »
Thank you Jennifer.  Derf does intend to get a closer look a the input transformer and plans to rehook the left channel wires on top of the right channel ones on the R channel transformer (keeping E4s and E6s together) to see if Derf can restore stereo output at least on that one channel (wow that sounds strange but you know what I mean) AND look at the driver boards again (See if that fuse popped again)

Derf will enjoy troubleshooting the main power supply/board.  Hoping for something simple but only the shadow knows.

As for a manual, Derf is quite enjoying the on the fly education regarding basic jukebox amplification; why stop now?  (Other than to stop using up favors around here  ;)......  )
Seriously, cost is an issue here and not much luck finding an R89 Shop Manual on Ebay....still searching
Oh Joy -- just found the "modify" button  8)   .  Just found one on Ebay 2 min after typing above for Combo R88 R89 Shop Manual $30.  QUestion is does owner want me to spend $30 to find out he needs $100 more to fully correct issues...???  We shall see...........
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:37:15 am by derf »

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2014, 12:43:06 am »
err that would be mono and not stereo
as stereo take's 2 channels
now that said try flipper's.com
john has the manual..25-30.00

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2014, 01:14:55 am »
The original "Shop" service manuals are in special 11" by 17" 3 ring soft cover binders like the one pictured. You ordered them through the parts department of your local Rowe distributor. We had to pay $100 each back in the day.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2014, 06:55:31 am »
Hello knightthorne,

Welcome to the forum.

The Rowe Ami MM-1 Music Merchant was produced in 1967 and came with the "Change-A-Scene" front panel, there were about 3 to 4 different panels that could be fitted to suit the location.

Regarding your selection fault, you need to clean the open/closed contacts on the two relays on the keyboard (these are usually under a plastic cover) marked on the manual R1 & R5, in addition you can clean the open/closed contacts on the Search Unit relays S1 & S2. The best way to clean these contacts is by using a paper taper pulled between the contacts, check for mechanical operation (making & breaking of the contacts).

You had better check the impeadence of the A side pin pusher coil (if it is the same as the B side coil you had best check the search unit PCB for cracks, also thes two coils are fed via three very thin tracks that may have worn through giving no supply to the coils).

Please let us know how you get on.

Ken,

I could not do any of my work on the Rowe Ami boards without the use of the various Field Manuals that Rowe Ami produced.
Any manual even the owners manual is money well spent.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:58:08 am by ami-man »

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2014, 10:53:41 am »
.... plan to rehook the left channel wires on top of the right channel ones on the R channel transformer (keeping E4s and E6s together) to see if Derf can restore stereo output at least on that one channel (wow that sounds strange but you know what I mean)

Ummmmmmmmmmm yeah, I should have used the phrase "restore amplification of both L and R channels of the MUSIC through the right channel of the amp".  Comes so effortlessly early in the morning.  At midnight it did not.
Hence the "you know what I mean".

Thanks for keeping me honest, Ed.
Thanks for the lead on the manual.
 I like the "errr' ; I'm borrowing that for use on my Saturn forums.  I will give proper credit upon 1st use.

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2014, 03:29:00 pm »
flippers didn't have the manual but I bought the one off ebay that had been in an auction but suddenly became "buy it now". Was listed as an R-88 R-99 Shop Manual.  Hope I didn't get ripped as I figured each would have it's own. 

Won't get here till next week, so in the mean time, Happy Holidays to all!
May your Juke's Juke......

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2014, 12:41:56 am »
The manual came earlier than expected.  Much easier than guessing.  Will keep y'all posted and surely will post some bonehead questions along the way.  I tend to overthink things to my own detriment.........

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2015, 01:27:51 am »
just an update to say there is no update, other than my continuing battle with balance and dizziness issues, now with earaches and tinnitus just for fun.  Can't drive.  Sux.  Been to 1 ENT and  2 neurologists, the second of which did extensive testing and came up with --I don't know.

I finally have the wiring diagrams for everything so I can theoretically intelligently troubleshoot.

Happy new year to all.

talede

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2015, 03:57:36 pm
  • Want to teach the world!!
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2015, 11:26:27 am »
I have a AMI R-80 Vintage 1976 jukebox which won't allow me to select songs using the push buttons. Can you help?

Thanks

Talede

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2015, 06:49:00 am »
Hello Talede,

Welcome to the forum.

What country do live in? This will help with anyone replying to your post and we can direct you where to go to for spare parts and services.

Which 1976 Rowe Ami R-80 do you have; is it the standard R-80 Imperial or Fleetwood (with letters & number keys) or is it the digital R-80S (numbers only)

Which ever jukebox you have you will have to establish credit in order to select.
Free play can be done on different was on both of the above models.

Standard R-80
Undo the top door on the jukebox (above the keyboard), on the back of the keyboard are bonus switches, one of the switches (sorry I can't remember which) it is the lefthand one or the righthand one. Try it one at a time. This allows the keys to be pressed, if the keys do not latch then there is an issue with the latchbar solenoid.

R-80S
Undo the top door and look for the Selector Logic board 601-08060, you will see a test/normal switch, switch to test for free play.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

washington_Brian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2015, 02:08:00 pm
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2015, 03:20:04 pm »
I have a Rowe TI-2 Rhapsody jukebox. Everything powers up, but the scan doesn't work (the wheel doesn't rotate). I can move the wheel with my hand (when scan is on), and I get it to play a record. I have disassembled and cleaned the scan control unit and various other parts. Any advice?

Live in the USA, Washington DC area.

Thanks!

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2015, 09:14:36 am »
Hello Brian,

I would check that the detent switch is working correctly, this switches the magazine motor, also check to see that you have continuity through the motor. Also check that the 30 volts AC is present through the service switch into the molex plug into the left hand side of the mechanism (at the service switch AC is the Yellow and Yellow/Black cables).

Regards
Alan

washington_Brian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2015, 12:34:02 pm »
Thanks, and I'll let you...

lurch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2016, 05:56:00 pm
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2015, 04:43:33 pm »
I purchased a R-92 a few weeks ago and its been giving me a headache!  Help me AMI-MAN you're my only hope!!!

Its a R-92 with a CCC from a R-94 in it.  (at least the IC is stamped R-94 V1.1) 

Ive managed to get it to play records just fine but i have a few "bugs"

I cannot get it to initialize the CD Player completely.   After entering 777, it goes through the CD's but stops at CD 5.  Never making it to disc 6 and then the CCC display goes blank (the four lines disappear).  It still does not accept selections starting with disc 5.   I already took some advice from previous posts; i re-seated the e-prom and checked the battery voltage (3.04v), and re-soldered all the pins in case of cold joints.......    any thoughts?

Secondly, i read in an older post that if you return the service switch to "ON" but still have to hit 999, that the CCC is bad.  I definitely have this issue; i have to hit 999 every time i return the service switch to "on".    Is this something i should be concerned about?

FYI, yes i do have the manual(s) but they are pretty worthless in regards to this stuff.   

Thank you for your time!
Mat
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:18:11 pm by lurch »

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2015, 06:43:38 am »
Hello Mat,

Welcome to the forum.

What country do you live in?

If you are in the USA, I suggest that you contact Bruce Wentworth to have your CCC tested/repaired. If you are in Europe or wish to use our services bye all means send your board to me in the UK for servicing.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

lurch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2015, 08:21:10 am »
Thanks for the reply!   I live in the USA.

I assume that means you think the CCC has issues?   If so, honestly its just cheaper for me to go get a new CCC as i live an hour away from someone who literally has several hundred of these CCC's. 

I know everyone loves pics, (i know i do).... this is what im referring to:

BONUS PIC:  R92 with 250 watt amp!

EDIT:  My pics wont show up!!!    Here is a link to the dropbox folder:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9lcr4xssl3bxyyi/AAA_MzIxNVYqBBgUfOI8vwsGa?dl=0
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:35:17 am by lurch »

lurch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2015, 08:50:34 am »
Is there anything on this CCC that i can check on my own? (common failure points, like Diodes, transistors, resistors, etc)

I guess i will break out the multimeter and go over everything before picking up a new CCC. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:52:22 am by lurch »

washington_Brian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2015, 09:21:53 am »
Alan,
There is no voltage across the motor (when on or scan mode). I get the 30 volts on the dent switch, and it work perfectly. Do you think the motor is dead?

lurch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2015, 09:39:16 am »
Brian-

EDIT:  After reading your previous post, i would assume youve already done the basics....    just ignore this post.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:45:32 am by lurch »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2015, 02:38:17 pm »
the main failure for the CCC's is usually the battery. having a low battery causes all kinds of havoc. i substitute a CR2032 battery holder in place of the soldered in battery and then slap in a 2032 and it's good till next time (in which case i can just pop in another battery in 15 seconds)

other than that, the header pins can develop cracks at the board and can often use a resolder.

if your battery is good, doing a system clear (reset) can clear out any glitches stored in the battery backed ram. You'll have to reset all the system settings... but occasionally a setting can get glitched and cause freezing when the system goes to read the setting stored there.

anything beyond those things, is best left to a service professional as you are probably looking at changing out ram/rom or possibly a bad CPU. A service professional can plop the computer in a known good working unit and see what the deal with it is.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2015, 07:17:01 am »
Hi Brian,

I would remove the the complete motor/detent plate from the jukebox and rig up temporary 30 volts AC supply to the motor/switch conections (you will have to hold in the dentent coil to do this) you could get the supply from your jukebox power supply look for Yellow & Black cables (yellow is on pin 2 of the molex plug and black is pin 3).

Regards
Alan

washington_Brian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2015, 09:56:17 am »
Alan,
I have a variable power supply, so I will take off the motor and give it a try. Thanks!

Brian

lurch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2015, 02:22:12 pm »
While im waiting for my new parts to come in for the CCC......  (battery holder and battery)

Anyone have any recommendations on "upgrades" i can do to my 250-watt amp?  I replaced the stock 130 watt amp with a 250 watt from a CD100 and i though i did get a little improvement, its still not what i was expecting.   The lows are weak and the highs are ok (though i suspect the speakers are partially to blame).      I was looking at replacing/upgrading the caps but there are so many out there i dont know where to begin.   Then the rectifier.... ?????   

Mat

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2015, 10:16:56 am »
Hi Matt,

There is a fundamental issue with your input into the amplifier the R-92 should have more than enough volume and separation with the 130 watt amplifier and the 250 watt will again be slightly have more volume but not by much.

Messing about with the build of the amplifier will not gain you much IMHO.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

lurch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2015, 04:19:49 pm »
Welp i picked up a new CCC, and it dosent appear to help.

I did the manual reset of the board then tried to re-initialize the cd player and it stopped at CD number 5.   Ive disassembled the entire player and i know itll play cd 6 so i dont know the the deal is.   

I have received the new CR2032 PCB battery holders (glad i ordered two).   I will install one on the old board and one on the new board, then swap the IC chip if nothing changes to see what happens.   Old one appears to be R94 V1.1   the new board appears to have IC R92 V1.2

Alan-

Thanks for your response!    Thats not exciting news....   i dont know what im going to do now....   maybe grab a plate amplifier from parts express and maybe that will provide enough kick?   I dunno. 

lurch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2015, 12:24:58 am »
OK, not the CCC's fault (though switching CCC's got rid of the errors and now properly exists programming mode when putting the service switch to on)

It was the CD player:  i had the pesky lens problem where it fell out some time ago.   I used super glue (like and idiot) and it fogged up the inside of the lens.  I switch the entire reader unit out with a spare, and it initialized!!!!!       For those who have never initialized a CD player on these jukeboxes: it should NOT skip disc to disc to disc.   It should however, select the first CD then play two seconds of each of the first ten songs per CD, stopping at the last inserted disc in the player.   

Next problem: it wont stop playing!   I start one song on the CD player and it just keeps going.     Any thoughts?

Im going to start a reference guide on these jukeboxes as this appears to be the only place to get good information.   Any chance i could get in trouble for posting the entire R92 manual, CD Supplement and Compact Bill Acceptor manuals online?

Mat

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2015, 10:30:04 am »
any initialization i've done loads the disk, spins it up to read the TOC and then stops, switches to the next disk...rinse repeat many more times.

you should be doing a (service mode) 3,0,popular then press popular+cancel together a few times to exit... then switch off service mode button back to normal operation. the initialization should start within a few seconds.

nothing actually plays.

lurch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2015, 04:01:04 pm »
Should caveat  that with ***** for R92 with the Pioneer CD-Player*****

Hit 777, wait 5-6 seconds and you should see - - - - on the display of the CCC, then hear the CD player switch to disc 1.

It plays two seconds of each song 1 through 10 of on all 6 CD's then stops.  Then,  - - - - clears from the display, and initialization is complete.  I did this twice again today to confirm for first observation.

Mat

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2015, 11:19:59 am »
oops, you are right. this thread has been so complicated flip flopping around I forgot which one we were talking about :P

actman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2023, 10:06:24 am
« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2015, 12:27:32 pm »
I have a CD100-C. Sometimes a song will be playing and I enter the next song to play. However it does not play the next song it just stops. I can add credits with my remote and that works. I try either with the remote or the keys on the Box to re-enter them and still won't play. Power off will not fix the issue on Reset will work. I have to look closer and see if it only occurs when I try to enter selections via the Wireless remote.
I have the updated flash for the rom. This issue does not happen very often but when it does its a pain to do a reset and loose all my settings.
Ami-man any ideas on this issue?

lurch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2015, 11:06:35 am »
OK so remaining issues are:

1) CD player just keeps playing once started and wont stop.   The CCC does not appear to be able to mute/stop the CD player (????) or maybe it does not recognize the song has stopped (??)
2) Light controller is alive, but will not "dance" to the music.   Found some other diodes that are dead, will replace this week.  (going to do a write-up of this so future people will know how to fix this)
3) ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET THE COLORED LIGHT LENSES?   i know AB Jukebox has them but with $15.00 shipping on $10 worth of parts, im not willing just yet to buy these from there and i cant seem to find them on HAPP.      (FYI these are the ones im talking about:  http://www.abjukeboxrepair.com/catalog.aspx?storename=abjukeboxrepair&DeptID=200615&ItemID=9476226&detail=1

EDIT:   Replace bad diode no dice.....   then replaced transistors labeled: MPS6515  with NTE289A  and now the lights stay on "high" all the time and ive lost all flash no matter what setting im on.     thoughts?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Mat
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:01:51 pm by lurch »