Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 306581 times)

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2014, 01:55:47 am »
The MM5 and MM6 were sold with two different amplifiers: a tube amplifier and a transistor amplifier. You could order the jukebox with either one, whichever you prefered.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2014, 10:34:28 pm »
yes, as the system warms up, the capacitors will drift even more out of spec causing the bias setup for the transistors to start to "wobble"

this amp works in a "push pull" kind of configuration. one transistor is responsible for pushing the speaker cones out from "zero", while the other  is responsible for pulling it in.

when the bias goes out of whack,  when you play music you can often hear a kind of "crunchyness" to the music when high notes (cymbal crashes etc.) hit. this is due to the transistors starting to work against each other instead of in unison. the transistors have to be properly "biased" so when one transistor is turning off, the other is stating to turn on. if the bias goes out, one transistor is still on it's way down back to zero while the other transistor is already starting to turn on. This is where the distortion comes from.

you don't notice it as much with bass as you do with the higher frequencies because the switching frequency is so low, and the distortion area (read as distortion period) in the wave is small compared to the original (0.3% of the total cycle ...but more pronounced with high frequencies because the distortion area now covers much of the wave (20 or 30%)

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/amp_4.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:42:29 pm by lilshawn »

Pedro1202

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2014, 12:49:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2014, 12:48:25 pm »
Hi, I am new to this site and new to forums generally, I am Pedro 1202 and i live in Poole in Dorset U.K. my question is to Alan Hood (ami-man)or anyone who can answer my query, I have a Rowe-Ami RI-1 heritage jukebox that has seen better days but i wish to restore, it lights up when plugged in, but the button bank will not engage when pressed in, you can see no electrical movement when you press either the letter buttons or the number buttons and they will not engage?? I have a Service Manual and Parts Book but no wiring diagrams, does anyone have a wiring diagram for a RI-1 as i would appreciate having one, this will be ongoing as the chap i got it from said there is an issue between the button bank and the pin wheel ( i think he meant it didnt work) so that is in the question as well! I am waiting for a stylus as the original was destroyed but you can hear a rumble from the speakers if you touch the cartridge wires so that is encouraging, so over to you............regards Pedro1202

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2014, 01:04:46 pm »
while i don't know about your jukebox specifically, I know a majority of record pushbutton jukes had an interlock on the buttons if there were no coin credits on the machine.

queue up a few credits and see if you can push the buttons then. if not, there may be an issue with the solenoid that pulls in to allow the buttons to be pressed in.

often you can use a paperclip to hold the sprag wheel or remove credit solenoid in the credit mechanism to hold it at maximum credits. every mech is a little different, you'll have to find how it works and go from there.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2014, 01:27:18 pm »
there is a few other thing's that need a  look see also.
there is a small fuse in the power supply that feed's power to that area..it often blow's
because of a short..if it is open replace it with the exact same size >rating< 1..
also there pin bank's develop bad grounds,which will also cause this problem..
there is a few more thing's..but start at the fuse's and get back to us..

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

smalltownguy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2014, 03:58:50 pm »
Hey guys, I just picked up a 1975 R-74 and I see dip switches on the control module, but I don't know what they do. Does anyone have any info on setting these dips? I'd like to set the machine up for free play.

-Brad Lutz
Osceola, WI USA
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2014, 05:41:34 am »
Hi Pedro1202,

Hello and welcome to the forum.

A 1973 Rowe Ami RI-1 Hertage can be a bit of a problem and is prone to a number of faults.
Everyone one of these I have ever serviced has had to have the base speaker foam surround replaced (this is a service we offer). The search unit and mechanism and keyboard are all made to fit model only (the search unit and basket could be used off of a CD-11 Cadette).

I suggest that you contact me direct for any spare parts, advice or servicing.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood (ami-man)
Games Unlimited & Datex Systems
Units 4 & 5 Lion Park
New Street
Halfway
Sheffield
S20 3GH

0114 247 0242
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2014, 02:57:13 pm »
Hey guys, I just picked up a 1975 R-74 and I see dip switches on the control module, but I don't know what they do. Does anyone have any info on setting these dips? I'd like to set the machine up for free play.

-Brad Lutz
Osceola, WI USA

there is no dip switch setting for free play, But, there is a test switch on the rear side of the selector. If you move that switch to the test position, you will get continuous free plays.

optoboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2014, 07:47:24 pm
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2014, 04:12:04 pm »
Hi Ami Man. I just bought a 1991 Rowe-Ami 100B and a large majority of the installed CDs are programmed 'Not Allowed' Can you tell me please how to unlock or change this command? thx

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2014, 12:35:18 am »
do a "3,0,popular" in the service mode.

it will re-read all the cd and program them to memeory

Corey4815

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2014, 01:47:24 pm
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2014, 01:47:43 pm »
Hi guys,

So we've had a JAN Diplomat in my basement for a few years now without it working, and I recently started looking at it, trying to fix what I can. The big problem with it is that when the selection is made on the pushbuttons, it doesn't energize the plunger in either Select Coil to push the pin down. It seems that the number wipers are able to recognize all the numbers, but the Sprag Relay S2 doesn't click for letters A through D. When it does click for the other letters, the stopping switch and record magazines do a complete cycle looking for a pin, but the select coils don't push any down. If I manually push a random pin down, testing the stopping switches as they go through this cycle, the transfer arm graps the record and plays it on the turntable, but the hub switch doesn't raise for 45s and at the end the tone arm doesn't reset and the transfer motor doesn't run. I'm wondering if they are related but I'm not sure. When I use the scan switch and manually pick the record, everything runs fine.

Thanks,
Corey

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2014, 06:55:41 am »
Hi Corey,

I would check the continuity of the letter switches, these are difficult to clean, I usually use tape head cleaner whilst pushing a couple of buttons at the same time and then move onto the next.

I suggest that you clean the two open relays (R1 & R5) that are under the plastic cover on the keyboard with a paper taper (do not use any spray or sandpaper to clean the contacts). If this does not solve your problem then check the wiring to the Search Unit and clean the open contacts on S1 & S2 on the search unit again with your taper, also check the mechanical operation of these contacts.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK   

Whayward

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2014, 03:47:15 am
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2014, 08:45:30 am »
Hi I have a ami Rowe 55m that has a fault and wondered if anyone could help
It all worked fine then I pressed the cancel button now it won't pull the records from the carousel the carousel rotates to the correct record but won't work any further

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2014, 08:51:34 am »
Hello Whayward,

Welcome to the forum.

If you want me to sort out your mechanism give me a call on 0114 247 0242 I am in Sheffield so only 35 miles down the motorway for you to bring the mechanism to me to service.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

galegovision

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2018, 01:02:04 pm
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2014, 02:48:25 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if you could hep me with a problem with my CD100E. Purchased one a few weeks back and everything works great except there are no lights, the mini lamps. The lamp controller had the power led on but no output to the mini lamps. They all looked burnt out and from the research I have done reading through these forums I decided to just replace them all. I purchased the replacements from happ and installed them. I turn on the juke and all the lights came on, FANTASTIC!!!! That was very short lived. Within a few seconds all the lamps that would blink with the music turned off. The lamps for the cd animation remained on along with the lamps for the pricing display. I then noticed that the power led for the lamp controller is not lit. Since I'm a newb, I'm a little confused of what I found on the net. Read some info about the transistor block near the power on bottom left of the juke? I did take apart the lamp controller and noticed it has a fuse. I removed the fuse and will try to track one down and hope/pray that is the issue. I figured since it seems like there is no power going to the controller that it looks like a fuse issue. Could the controller have died? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long description, just wanted to give you the full background.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2014, 03:10:42 pm »
     That sounds to me like a overvoltage condition (if Jennifer read that right) ... Get a volt meter and test the voltage @ the socket.

galegovision

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2014, 03:14:20 pm »
thanks for the reply

if it is a voltage problem, what would be the solution? Sorry, I understand audio and computers with no problems but when it comes to power I'm completely a novice. Trying to learn but still shaky.

Thanks

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2014, 07:48:44 pm »
double check which bulbs you received. they should be a #73 (14 volt) you may have got the identical looking #86 bulb (6.3 volts)

some of those controllers had a voltage adjustment on them. you may have to disassemble the controller to get at it (or remove a plastic plug) they eliminated the adjustment in later revisions...if it's blank, check the voltage coming out of the controller if it's higher than 12 volts, check the same voltage on AC. if it reads more than about 30 millivolts, you may have an issue with the rectifier diodes/bridge. a certain failure condition in the bridge can cause the voltage to be really high (like as high as 15 or 18 volts.) which can certainly cause the bulbs to pop after a few minutes.

galegovision

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2014, 10:48:53 pm »
I did a little more troubleshooting. Replaced the fuse, powered up and same thing. Power led turns red on lamp controller, lamps light up, humming noise, no power to lamp controller.  I double checked and they ar #73s. Attempt #2, replaced fuse but unplugged everything from controller. Powered up juke, plugged power to controller, red power led lights. Plugged in mute plug, still good. Plugged in lower  "W" connector, I have a section of blinking lights, awesome. Plugged in next "V" connector, another section of blinking lights. Fantastic! Plugged in next "W/G" connector, I have lights, a loud hum, fuse blows and no more power to lamp controller.

Does this help narrow down the issue? Could it still be some sort of power problem going to controller or something wrong with that section of lights?

Thanks for helping this newb out.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2014, 03:47:56 am »
    Whats happening is your getting a short under a load, a bad transistor, transformer, or light socket, can do this, it saturates when loaded , shorts out and then your fuse blows cutting off power (like its supposed to), your going to need a volt meter,  a schematic, a few more fuses ( and if it was Jennifer) a 5 watt sugercube, or two for a dummy load so you don't just keep wasting bulbs.... But for now do NOT wrap tinfoil around the fuse, or stick a larger value in there, that's the only protection you have.

galegovision

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:55 am »
ok, looks like I'm off to get more fuses and a volt meter. I'm hoping it is something simple like a light socket since my ability to swap out the other components is basically nonexistent. Thanks for the advice.

never0101

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2016, 03:57:09 pm
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2014, 10:58:55 pm »
Why hello folks! I just received a rowe ami R-91 was a wedding gift from my now wife.  this thing is fantastic.  ive sorted out a few issues with it,got the mechanism working and ran some de-oxit through every switch and pot and got both channels to wake up and the volume to run nice and smooth!  I have a new stylus and belt coming in the mail hopefully tomorrow or saturday.  The woofers need to be re-foamed as they're starting to split but that will be a project for the winter (as well as probably giving it a fresh coat of paint even tho the over all condition isnt too bad).  The previous owner took great care of it.  The only glaring issue at this point is the small lights on the top and front do not flash.  It is certainly a minor concern, but of course I'd love it to work fully.  The front flurescent tube is also out, but thats a simple replacement. 

The unit DID come with the service manual, however I dont see anything in about the light controller.  Am I missing something?  I'm no pro, but I can work a multimeter and read a schematic but I have none!  Are there any common failures in the light controller that would be easy to check? I pulled it out and de-oxit'd the switch but that did nothing. 

Any tips would certainly rock.   http://imgur.com/a/lge3P is a gallery of this beast! the error code that is shown has been sorted out and everything is working.  spent the evening tonight cleaning some 45s, loading it and printing some new labels =D

galegovision

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2014, 09:25:17 am »
Just wanted to report back that I narrowed the issue down to one strip of lights that was blowing the fuse. Took all the lamps out of strip, plugged strip in and everything stayed powered up. I then took all the lamps out of the wedge sockets. Two lamps were, well the easiest way to explain is they were just not right. One just sat in the socket strange so I replaced it. The other had some sort of material (glass, dust, not sure) in the base of the socket. Cleaned that out and replaced lamp. One by one installed the lamps and I'm up and running!!!!! Still a novice with power in general so no idea what exactly caused the issue. Just super happy it is working now. Thanks for the advice. For the record, I love the fact "the Jennifer" refers to herself in the 3rd person. The Galegovision thinks it is freakin great!

Thanks again

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2014, 01:27:57 pm »
awesome you got it fixed.  :cheers: narroed it down to a specific area and troubleshooted from there. great job on that by the way... pretty much what you have to do. find out what works and you are left with what isn't.

it could have been a simple screw shorting things out, or a strand of stray wire in a socket. i've seen several different things cause things to blow up. gotta be on the lookout.

enjoy!

derf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2015, 02:32:49 am
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2014, 12:07:08 am »
Hello all, new to the forum.  Quite impressed by the detailed knowledge shared on this forum.  I'm a mod on a Saturn forum site so I know good from bad.....

Anyway, back to the point.

My neighbor has an AMI Rowe R85.  He showed it to me and demonstrated it.  It was in full working order.  Chose and played correct records, both channels seemed to work (maybe I should state both front speaker sets seemed to work), volume pot on back worked, display fine.........

Shortly thereafter, my neighbor decided to dust off the electrical innards (inside he cabinet on the left with the swing up door) with a dry paintbrush.

Since that time, the jukebox functions correctly in all ways but produces no sound nor crackle nor hum.  Nothing.

The 3 voltage indicator lights are lit on what I believe is the main power supply.  I tried resetting the circuit breaker anyway -- no change.
Noticing the next board had an "Ext. Speakers" Wiring harness attached to it I inspected it and found 3 wires disconnected ---presumably from the board terminals (see pic)----red, brown, and the "pink".
I found this odd for two reasons:  I can't see three terminals being that loose that a paintbrush would knock three wires off.  Also, there is currently nothing connected to the terminals on the board labeled "L Channel"(left) so they would all have to have come from the same place.

I find it hard to believe that even with these three wires disconnected, even the right channel wouldn't play.

1)  Could someone please provide me with the correct terminal/wire connections for the left and right speaker portions of this board, and what the terminals correspond to?  What voltages should I expect to see at these terminals?

I also tried resetting the circuit breaker on the 130 W amp.  No effect.
I checked the resistance of the volume pot (10K) and it operates smoothly.

I've also noticed that the amplifier does not seem to give off any heat from those ginormous heatsinks.  I know that being that size, they will take a while to heat up, but I feel nothing.

I did not yet check the voltage coming out of the 120V plug into which the amp is plugged in as I am already troubleshooting in three directions and thought I should call a time out and ask for some expert advice.

My gut feeling is that this is something on a higher (systematic) level (rather simple) that has been disturbed.  For example, cold solder joint on the volume pot?  tugged n wiggled but no sound.  What voltage should I expect to see across the pot?

Any suggestions of what to check would be much appreciated.

Note that I am flying blind (no service manual, no schematics), but I have a reasonably strong electronics background, can read and understand schematics, and I solder just well enough to make the connection.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Look Mummy......there's an aeroplane up in the sky........

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2014, 12:25:18 am »
Sorry  here is the pic

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2014, 12:44:26 am »
    Most likely (and without looking at schematics ) Those wires went to that terminal strip over on the right of the pic, But, Jenn doesn't feel that's the problem. look at them close and see if theres any shiny spots (and loose screws on the terminal) most likely not, but odd they weren't wrapped with tape.... I would look for a amp fuse on the power supply , beings how no noise at all kind of sounds like a no power issue.  (there may also be one on the backside of the amp.)

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2014, 05:08:41 pm »
if the amp is getting power at the socket, suspect the amp.

if there is no power at the amp socket, suspect the power supply transformer and circuit. (fuse/circuit breaker)

if it's the amp being the issue... check the circuit breaker on the top. just depress the button to reset it.

filing that, pull the amp off the juke and turn it around and check the backside, it'll have a couple fuses on some square driver boards for each of the channels left and right. if you have a blown one replace them (SAME RATING 8 amp fast blow type) and then plug it in on the bench as you watch the back. replacing the fuses with higher ratings will only fry the !@#$ out of your driver boards!!

if they blow up again, the output transistors are hosed and will need to be replaced.

if they don't blow, it's safe to go back in.

transistors are now 2n6284 and 2n6487 2 of each (you may have old discontinued part numbered original ones in there.) replace them as pairs only. and be sure to clean and replace the mica insulators under the transistors too or they will blow up as soon as it's powered.

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2014, 06:01:10 pm »
Thanks for the ideas, folks.  Will check in order provided.
What do I clean the mica insulators with?

Anyone else have any ideas about the stray unconnected wires in the pic?

Not sure when I will get back to the scene of the crime as it lives across the street, but I WILL be back to report on status.  As a mod myself, "post n run" members are truly annoying.  I'm not going to be one of them on this forum.

The neighbor wants it to be fixed sooner rather than later so maybe a few days

Thank you and Keep those ideas coming!

Derf

yukonblaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2023, 11:32:48 am
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2014, 08:00:27 pm »
Hello Help Desk,
  I have a berkeley and  not able to get the neon to turn on. When powered 12v through computer power supply they light. Wires going  into neon transformer give 12v until under load then drop to 5v. Can't find and don't have schematic for 40897301 ps. Have tested fuses and bride rectifier to no avail.
Thanks
Jason

Update****fixed
LM317t was bad, replaced and neon works!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:37:04 pm by yukonblaze »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2014, 10:25:24 pm »
Thanks for the ideas, folks.  Will check in order provided.
What do I clean the mica insulators with?

Anyone else have any ideas about the stray unconnected wires in the pic?

Not sure when I will get back to the scene of the crime as it lives across the street, but I WILL be back to report on status.  As a mod myself, "post n run" members are truly annoying.  I'm not going to be one of them on this forum.

The neighbor wants it to be fixed sooner rather than later so maybe a few days

Thank you and Keep those ideas coming!

Derf

you would clean them with some kind of solvent to really get them clean. they are crystalline sheets and break really easy. I've done enough that i can clean them with just a cotton rag. but i know how much they can take before they will shatter on you.

as for the wires, just tape them up and tuck them out of the way.

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2014, 10:54:52 am »
The lilshawn. I'll get on it.  Hopefully I won't need to open the amp....

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2014, 11:52:57 am »
The lilshawn. I'll get on it.  Hopefully I won't need to open the amp....

lol. it's already open for you.  :lol (you'll get what i mean when you see it)  :P

also, those "stray wires" just look like old volume pot wires. jukes often had a volume control on the back of the unit near the cancel button. operators often just hacked them out to keep people from pissing around with them. (or where too cheap to buy the wired remote from rowe and just reused the pot in a project box (or the like) to get remote volume.) no big deal.

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2014, 08:32:57 pm »
Hi All,

First,

This unit is an R89    NOT an R85 (that's what happens when you don't write things down).  My apologies for the mistake.

Updates on troubleshooting:

Main power supply:
Service Outlet:  120V AC
Outlet that powers amp:  12V AC

Circuit breaker on amp--no effect when pushed

Amp removed:
One of four fuses on the square boards was blown.  Per LWayne, replaced w 5 amp  (they are 5 amp---must have been 8amp for the mistakenly referenced R85)  and bench tested with it hooked up,  Powered it down,  All fuses good.  No signs if scorched or overheated components on square boards.  Did not disengage main PCB once I saw the fun it will be to get the three independent connectors aligned.  Will cross that bridge when necessary.
Is this a dual push pull setup with two fuses per channel?

Amp output connector:  No voltage on either L or R channel output (4 socket connector near top left with amp installed in jukebox)

Double Transformer board on base of unit:  No voltage at connected wires. 

Note:  Only 3 wires connected to right channel -- E1 (tan), E4(black)  E6("pink")
NOTHING connected to left channel terminals.

The currently taped off red and brown wires cannot have been for a volume pot in the back of the unit as one already exists and the wires are too short anyway.  They REALLY look like they belong attached to a transformer down there.  My hunch would be somewhere on the left channel, otherwise this would be a half stereo setup(?)

Thanks for your continued input

Derf

meangene0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2014, 11:40:11 pm
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2014, 11:40:11 pm »
I am looking for a eprom for my CCC in a Rowe 100G.  I am also looking for where I can get a battery holder for the same board.

willie50

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2019, 01:28:49 pm
  • I want to build my own Ami Continental!
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2014, 07:56:49 am »
Hi Alan, I have just bought a Rowe Ami R88. Once I had loaded my records I noticed it will not play B sides from 228 onwards, it plays 227 fine. This to me seems as though it can count up 127 which in binary is 1111111 but fails to count 128 which is 00000001. if 228 selected it picks and plays 100 ( first record ) 229 plays 101 etc. Regards Keith

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2014, 11:48:37 am »
Hi All,

First,

This unit is an R89    NOT an R85 (that's what happens when you don't write things down).  My apologies for the mistake.

Updates on troubleshooting:

Main power supply:
Service Outlet:  120V AC
Outlet that powers amp:  12V AC

Circuit breaker on amp--no effect when pushed

Amp removed:
One of four fuses on the square boards was blown.  Per LWayne, replaced w 5 amp  (they are 5 amp---must have been 8amp for the mistakenly referenced R85)  and bench tested with it hooked up,  Powered it down,  All fuses good.  No signs if scorched or overheated components on square boards.  Did not disengage main PCB once I saw the fun it will be to get the three independent connectors aligned.  Will cross that bridge when necessary.
Is this a dual push pull setup with two fuses per channel?

Amp output connector:  No voltage on either L or R channel output (4 socket connector near top left with amp installed in jukebox)

Double Transformer board on base of unit:  No voltage at connected wires. 

Note:  Only 3 wires connected to right channel -- E1 (tan), E4(black)  E6("pink")
NOTHING connected to left channel terminals.

The currently taped off red and brown wires cannot have been for a volume pot in the back of the unit as one already exists and the wires are too short anyway.  They REALLY look like they belong attached to a transformer down there.  My hunch would be somewhere on the left channel, otherwise this would be a half stereo setup(?)

Thanks for your continued input

Derf

re aligning the boards is easier than it looks. once you get the preamp board on the posts it pretty much lines up.

that power outlet looks to be an issue. it should have 120 volts not 12 (unless typo) you can plug into the service outlet for testing (it just won't shut off when the power is cut.

i would recommend pulling the driver boards and inspecting the backside. sometimes a trace that loops between some solder points can burn off. if it has, it's likely got some component damage and will need to be repaired.

it's quite common for operators to load both speakers on one channel to have other channel available for external speakers. Also it's common to blow a channel and just move the speakers over to the working channel to "get by" till it can get fixed.

derf

• Offline Offline
  • One Toke Over The Line
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2014, 01:36:14 pm »
Yup.  12.xx Volts.  No typo.  Measured it twice as I dd not believe it myself.  Was pretty sure this was pat of the issue as I have never come across an Amp operating at 12V AC input--- though I do not do much troubleshooting

Service is 120V.

Now I will pull the driver boards for inspection

First, having replaced the burned fuse on one of the channels, I will bench test from the service outlet and see if the fuse pops right away.

By the way, with the amp underside facing so that the square boards are to the right, which one is the left and right channel driver board?

Interestingly enough, the mono/stereo switch was found set to mono.... so you are likely right regarding everything being shifted to one channel with that blown fuse taking out one of the channels (presumably the left)   which leads me back to those disconnected wires---likely from the left channel but moved to the right, maybe, then dislodged during cleaning?  Where o where do they belong?  If they are for the left channel. I'd like them connected back up so that the full "stereo" sound comes through the speakers.

Thanks again for all your help!!

I'll report back soon!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2014, 02:51:55 pm »
oriented with the transformer to the left, boards in the middle, and preamp on the right... i believe the left is the top board and the right, the bottom one. (but don't take my word for gospel.) It's been a long time since i worked on one of this age. (although the amps haven't changed much through to the 90's)

if it works with the service outlet, you got something wonky going on in the main power supply (burned wire or blown fuse/circuit breaker) it's easy enough to remove from the unit and inspect as well... most components in jukes are all removable to easily change out parts out in the field. most everything is a philips screw or a 1/4" nut drive.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2014, 08:05:13 am »
Hello Derf,

Welcome to the forum, sorry I was on holiday last week.

The wiring onto the output package is as follows:-

Violet Left E6 Left Channel speakers
Red Left E4 Extension speaker connection Left Channel
Black Right E1 Common
Brown Right E4 Extension speaker connection Right Channel
Pink Right E6 Right Channel speakers

I hope this helps.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK