Main > Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Forum

ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes

<< < (3/174) > >>

ami-man:
Hello Doug,

You need to carefully clean this jukebox to get rid of all the dust and dirt in cabinet.

I suggest that you remove all the major parts out of the jukebox and clean the interior of the cabinet with soapy water, rinse and dry well.

You will need to clean the mechanism down, I would strip of the search unit and remove the gripper bow assembly (strip all the parts off of the assembly and wash down with soapy water, rinse and dry. Reassemble the gripper bow lubricating only the trunnion casting pivot points (this should be high melting point grease put into the two casting sockets) check out the nylon trunnion gear and cam gear for any wear and replace them if it is required.

Clean down the mechanism/carousel using a damp soapy cloth and rinse with another dam cloth.

The turntable and idlerwheel and linkage can be striped down and washed to remove any trace of oil.
These can be replaced back onto the mechanism once it is clean.
Lubrication on the mechanism other than the trunnion which has already been covered is a spot of oil on all of the pivot points on the idlerwheel linkage, a spot of oil on the shaft that the idlerwheel fits on, a thin film placed on the turntable shaft put on with your finger, a sot of oil on the top oil pad on the turntable motor and a spot put down the bottom bearing oil tube. A spot of oil could be put on the indexing linkage after it has been stripped down and cleaned.

With regards to the search unit the PCB can be cleaned with a pencil rubber (eraser) and the open relay contacts cleaned with a taper of paper pulled between the contacts. This can also be done on the two open relays on the keyboard (these relays are under a plastic cover, if it is still on the jukebox). The PCB on the credit unit (credit clock) can also be cleaned using the pencil ruber, the same goes for the stop plate assembly that is behind the search unit, to clean the slip rings on it (note the 200 mark on the stop plate that needs to be in the correct location for the timing of the mechanism, please consult your manual).

Check all of your mechanism adjustments as per the manual.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Mercuryfox50:
Hello Alan,
I am hoping that you or someone may be able to offer some advice.  I have a 1990 Rowe CD-100A which I purchased a few years back in Michigan; I live in the Cleveland, OH area.  When I first purchased the machine, it seemed to work fine.  After a few months of owning the machine I hosted a party.  About an hour through the party, while the machine was playing a song, the sound started cutting-out momentarily, then the music came back for a few seconds, then cut out again and again with duration of each "cut-out" becoming longer and longer until eventually barely any sound was coming out of the machine.  During the party I ejected all of the songs in the list to play, turn the machine off for a minute, then turned it back on.  The machine played a song and a half then the music started cutting out again.  Frustrated, I turned the machine off.  A few months later I called a local "jukebox repair technician" out to look at the machine on two occasions.  The problem with the machine was intermittent as each time the "jukebox repair technician" came out, the machine would play fine for several songs, however other times (when the technician was conveniently not present) the music would start cutting out almost immediately after I would turn it on.  The second time the "jukebox repair technician" came out, he replaced the Mech Control with another unit he had.  After a few songs of play, the issue came back.  Over the last few years I haven't had alot of time to mess with the machine but am now getting the desire to start tinkering with it again.  I contacted Bruce Wentworth of A&B Jukebox Repair in NH.  Bruce suggested that I send him my Mech Control and CD Pro units to be tested as he felt those were most likely the issues.  After several hours of testing, Bruce found both units to be in good condition.  Again, the sound cuts out; it is not a CD-skip.  Usually, the machine will play one or two songs before the sound begins to cut out.  Usually the duration of the cut out starts with a duration of a split second gradually lasting several seconds to constant.  Bruce suggested the problem might be the Pre-Amp but I wanted to get some additional advice.
Thanks!
Ben

ami-man:
Hello Ben,

Welcome to the forum.

If Bruce Wentworth has tested the CDPRO and the mechanism control then they will be good, no question.

What you could do as a test is to connect the phono output  from the mechanism control to an hifi amplifier ideally with a CD input and test the jukebox plaing for a period of time through you hifi system.
If the results are ok it would confirm that you have an issue with the amplifier, this could again be sent to Bruce for testing/repair I would also include the output package to be on the safe side.

If the test above gives you the same results i.e. the sound going off after a few songs then I would suspect a power supply unit problem, maybe a dry joint (cold joint USA) on the power supply PCB.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Mercuryfox50:
Thanks for the reply Alan!
I've got a home stereo receiver; could I just connect the Mech Control Output to the home stereo receiver input with the Red & White RCA cable which the jukebox currently uses to conncet the Mech Control Output to the Pre Amp Input?
Thanks for the great advice!
Ben

ami-man:
Hello Ben,

That is correct, depending on what type of input the receiver has if it has a CD/tape input all the better, unsually the output from a CD is about 500 to 600mv.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version