Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RasPi viable for 1995ish emulation? how about more powerful ARM options- Cubie?  (Read 7485 times)

sharpfork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
The RasPi thread is so old the board "yelled" at me for trying to post to it. I'm wondering if the RasPi an even remotely viable option for emulating arcade and consoles from around 1995?  I'm talking N64, PS1, and SFIII...

Even if it is underpowered, is there a decent arcade frontend that runs on ARM?
Are options like this more viable?
http://cubieboard.org/

sairuk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2019, 02:24:17 am
    • mameau
I have a 256mb Model B (new model B's are 512mb) and from what I've seen of linux, xbmc, etc running on it I'd highly doubt it is a viable solution long term. There is a thread on the RPi forums with a list of emulators available (including PCSX) which I may try at some point. I also plan to have a look at what packages are available under raspbian to see if Wah!Cade/Mah!Cade will run in the next couple of day, I'd have to look at the memory footprint for the app as well.

I know advancemenu has been compiled and retroarch.

The cutieboard uses the MALI400 GPU, I would avoid it (based on the developers support of past tablets) unless there has been major progress with the open source drivers of late.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
Thanks sairuk   :)

I came across the openpandora.org handheld and it seems pretty impressive when overclocked.  There seems to be a decent community of folks working on emus for it.  It seems that the beagleboard shares much of the same hardware.  An overclocked beagleboard Bone with an arcade friendly cape board might be worth exploring.  Retroarch has been ported to openPanda too.  It can run some pretty solid android games too.

really long review:

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:14:58 pm by sharpfork »

sairuk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2019, 02:24:17 am
    • mameau
I've wanted a pandora since they were first announced, but basically I can't afford it.

Wah!Cade runs quite easily on the RPi, performance is woeful. I'm just playing around it with at the moment. I have a 1920x1080 skin which wont help performance much.

mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus

starcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2022, 12:10:29 pm
    • ArcadeArt
I've got a 256Mb Pi overclocked to 1000Mhz and it runs MAME ok but any game with background music or sound effects (even something ancient like Track & Field) runs at close to 50% speed.

I bought a 512Mb Pi and it'll run SF2 no problem at all and runs Soul Calibur at 98% too.

Some people have had problems with the PiMAME distro but it works for me  :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:44:37 am by starcade »
Arcade art nerd.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
emulation on the pi has been hit or miss at best. That especially goes for mid 90's games and up.

I haven't tried cubie but i've been heavily contemplating getting one.

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
The Beaglebone only has 256 megs of RAM =  :censored:

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
I've got a 256Mb Pi overclocked to 1000Mhz and it runs MAME ok but any game with background music or sound effects (even something ancient like Track & Field) runs at close to 50% speed.

I bought a 512Mb Pi and it'll run SF2 no problem at all and runs Soul Calibur at 98% too.

Some people have had problems with the PiMAME distro but it works for me  :)

You've read the disclaimers for overclocking the Pi right?  You're literally taking years off your Pi overclocking that much.

The Pi is only viable when over-clocked.  Otherwise it's just not powerful enough to be reliable.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 02:37:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Cubie is quite capable.  I have some videos of it running some random games on Youku (sorry, no Youtube, as it doesn't work here).
eg

(Final fight running quite decently toward the end of the video)

劳伦斯有限技术公司 - Cubieboard—在线播放—优酷网,视频高清在线观看

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Cubie is quite capable.  I have some videos of it running some random games on Youku (sorry, no Youtube, as it doesn't work here).
eg

(Final fight running quite decently toward the end of the video)

劳伦斯有限技术公司 - Cubieboard—在线播放—优酷网,视频高清在线观看

Can that board scale up the video so it uses more of the screen?

sandheaver

The ODROID devices look good and run Ubuntu.  Compiling modern MAME on them may prove troublesome, though, as it is on the RPi.

the Intel NUC is an inexpensive tiny x64 PC that runs windows or Linux.  I'll probably use one of those in the future, in situations where an arcade monitor is not available or appropriate.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 02:37:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
@Eric -

Yes, but I don't have video of that.
This was a quick and dirty get SDL going, and get some output.

I'm also using an HDMI based screen, and the lowest resolution for that is 640x480.

I was using 320x240 for that video @ 640x480.
Wasn't doing scaling so it was centered.  If I use VGA, I can set the screen resolution to something appropriate, or scale.

Scaling 2x is fine speed wise on the cubie, but doesn't quite have enough oomph to do filter effects and emulation at the same time currently.

The 2d video drivers need a bit of work still for that, but its getting there... (I have a forum all about the Cubie at http://cubieforums.com with plenty of info about it if you're interested).