Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: force board few second power off  (Read 4411 times)

mahkeymike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:11:25 pm
force board few second power off
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:33:31 pm »
So I have this force board and it was working a few days ago. Now its powering off after a few seconds with the jumper wire connected. Powering it on manually without the jumper wire it stays on but no video, no beep and the fan sounds like its pulseing and the green led flickers. I replaced the ram and cpu and all the caps look ok and no signs of swelling but the ones to the right of the IDE connectors get really hot. Im all out of 1000uf 6.3v caps so i would have to order them if its still possible to be the problem. I do have some 6.3v 1500uf caps but not sure if thats safe to use.  Would like some input if anyone has any. Thanks.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
Re: force board few second power off
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:25:16 pm »
For some reason after i tried swapping a few different cpu's and ram sticks, now im getting some weid crackling noise out of the speaker on the mobo and oddly enough its not turning off after a few seconds anymore with the jumper wire connected. I found some 6.3v 1000uf caps in one of my parts bin so im going to replace the caps but i want to replace a 25v 100uf cap since it was really hot aswell but i cant find one yet.

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:22:19 pm »
Suck it up and buy a power supply... Your motherboard is fine...keep screwing around and you will need new motherboard too...

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 09:01:58 pm »
Suck it up and buy a power supply... Your motherboard is fine...keep screwing around and you will need new motherboard too...

I think it would have been polite to ask if i have tried another power supply. And yes I have pulled the force board out of the unit and tested on a antec 450 watt pc power supply. Same problem.

I replaced all the caps that were hot and now im getting the few second shut off again, but this time i noticed a regulator overheating ans sizzling. I took a pic of the regulator.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:35:47 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 09:36:56 pm »
when re-capping boards, you really need to catch them BEFORE you have problems. if your computer won't start up it's likely already too late.

your bad caps have been straining the regulators and now they have given out.

your only choices are now:

1 - replace the board

2 - replace the regulators.

#2 should only be performed if the rest of the components haven't been damaged yet. continuing to run it with failed regulators is BAD BAD BAD BAD and only lessening your chances of resurrecting the board.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 09:46:45 pm »
when re-capping boards, you really need to catch them BEFORE you have problems. if your computer won't start up it's likely already too late.

your bad caps have been straining the regulators and now they have given out.

your only choices are now:

1 - replace the board

2 - replace the regulators.

#2 should only be performed if the rest of the components haven't been damaged yet. continuing to run it with failed regulators is BAD BAD BAD BAD and only lessening your chances of resurrecting the board.

I just noticed theres a 3.3k smd resistor missing and looks like two smd ceramic caps aswell. There was also a bent leg on some chip labeled IOR. This was a return from a board i sold recently and looks like the guy damaged it. Too bad i already issued a replacement.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:35:47 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 11:03:59 pm »
hmmm. the smd stuff may have gotten knocked off.

hang onto it. never know when you need a regulator or 2.

unless you want to take a chance at fixing it. nothing to loose right? hang onto it till you get a dead one and scab it for the missing parts.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 11:23:48 pm »
hmmm. the smd stuff may have gotten knocked off.

hang onto it. never know when you need a regulator or 2.

unless you want to take a chance at fixing it. nothing to loose right? hang onto it till you get a dead one and scab it for the missing parts.

Like you mentioned before, there is probably more damaged parts. I dont have any more force boards and dont plan to buy any either. If someone was to give me a force board I might consider waisting my time trying to swap parts. But they barely sell anymore and i see them going for cheap on ebay nowadays anyway. Just not worth the hassle IMO. I figured if it was just a few caps i would fix it but now its pointless. Besides, theres more reliable intel 810 chipset mobo's out there. :cheers: