Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I feel defeated even before I can begin, please help  (Read 6281 times)

scam3r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2017, 05:24:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I feel defeated even before I can begin, please help
« on: February 05, 2013, 04:48:14 pm »
Ok, so I have been wanting to make a mame/clone cabinet for some years.  I discovered Mame back in the late 90's and was happy to use keyboard, and then later managed to get a competition pro joystick which has sufficed.

But did get the "Make an arcade cabinet" book 5 years ago but really didn't have the time.  But the plan was to make a full sized cabinet, as I wanted to re-live the times at the local arcade playing scramble, and frogger.

But living in the UK, size is a problem, so have decided to make a bar top.  But there are really only two designs that I am happy with to use. the Weecade is a really nice design, and I would like to use this but the monitor I have available is a 20.1 4:3  which may be too large.  Have seen the Kernow arcade which may be more compatible, but I can't find any plans or measurement around.  This is just a small problem....

As there is the issue of what interfaces to choose, or sticks, buttons, their design and placement, LED's and the worst of all where to get side art from in the UK.

Can printed vinyl be glued to the outside somehow?   As the book is now dated, it talks about basic design, but thing have changed since written, and fashions of cabinet design is always changing.

But what really scares me, it the "Ultimate Mame Shame" cabinets, which I agree is right, but I don't want to end up on the naughty list...

I know the above are alot questions, please be patient with me....

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
Re: I feel defeated even before I can begin, please help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »
Well, son, don't post your bits.

Or, nut up, and just do it. Monitor deal wise, just scale the cab for it, yo.
-Banned-

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:53:40 pm »
Its a journey dude. Work on configuring emulators and front ends and hardware first.  Worry about art after you've at least designed something.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:40:28 pm »
If you spend all your time worrying about getting it perfect from the get-go, you'll never build anything.  Just build something.

I would tackle it in stages.

For choosing joysticks, buttons, etc, best thing to do IMHO is just a buy a few kinds of each and then build a prototype control panel where you can try things out.  Nothing beats hands-on testing.  And it will give you an opportunity to learn the build process for a CP, before tackling a full build.

Then move on to designing/building the cabinet.

And if it ends up being less than perfect?  So what.  You can always build again.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:58:40 pm by shponglefan »

Dekieon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2017, 04:04:14 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:38:03 pm »
Hi. I am also building my first MAME cabinet as we speak. Just like you, this was a project I was going to start years ago and then put it off. I too feel a bit overwhelmed with all the choices, but the people here have been helpful in me making some of those decisions.

I would suggest that you plan it all out and take it once step at a time. What I have done is make an excel sheet of parts to buy and what they will cost, and where I am getting them from. I also made a work log to keep track of my day to day purchases, decisions, and steps taken to accomplish my goals of the MAME cab. I made a rough drawing of what I want the control panel to look like and where the controls will be placed.

I keep researching this stuff everyday and as a result have changed my mind of some of my earlier choices. I just update my excel sheet with the new information and move forward.

I would advise that you check out stores all over the world and not limit yourself to just UK stores. I am in Canada and have purchased from Canada, US, England and Japan while trying to get all the parts for the cab.

When you feel overwhelmed with the choices, write down what you want in the part you are trying to choose. Then use that to compare against what is out there and to try and narrow it down.

Most importantly, don't think that your MAME cabinet is something that you have to get all the parts for and build as fast as you can. Take your time, make plans, revise those plans, set goals, and make the whole experience of the build FUN, not stressful.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:57 pm »
One of the best suppliers of interfaces and controls is in the UK.  Ultimarc is your best bet in the UK.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:03:55 pm »
I'd start with the list of games you want to play, number of players, and the computer you want to use.

That will lead you to what emulators and other software like front ends (MaLa, Hyperspin, etc.) you want/need.

From there, you can figure out what kind of controls (Joysticks, player buttons, admin buttons, spinner, trackball, gamepads?) you'll need to work with the games and emulators you want.

That leads to chosing the right encoder(s).

Browse for artwork/themes/design cues to use in the following steps.

Arrange the controls on the control panel. (CP) -- Cardboard test panel highly encouraged.

Select a monitor.

Design the rest of the cab around the monitor and CP.

One of the best suppliers of interfaces and controls is in the UK.  Ultimarc is your best bet in the UK.

Another UK supplier to consider is Gremlin Solutions.

Scott

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 10:07:47 pm »
If you spend all your time worrying about getting it perfect from the get-go, you'll never build anything.  Just build something.

Amen to that.

Put a design together you think you'll like, start building it, if it turns out bad, rip those bits out and redo them. You won't have to buy the parts again, just a piece of MDF or plywood. No big deal.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:50:03 am
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 02:14:32 am »
I'd start with the list of games you want to play, number of players, and the computer you want to use.

That will lead you to what emulators and other software like front ends (MaLa, Hyperspin, etc.) you want/need.

From there, you can figure out what kind of controls (Joysticks, player buttons, admin buttons, spinner, trackball, gamepads?) you'll need to work with the games and emulators you want.

That leads to chosing the right encoder(s).

Browse for artwork/themes/design cues to use in the following steps.

Arrange the controls on the control panel. (CP) -- Cardboard test panel highly encouraged.

Select a monitor.

Another UK supplier to consider is Gremlin Solutions.

Scott

Great advice from Scott, take it!  Dive in, in one way or another, get the latest mame up and running and see what's new, get a cardboard mock-up going, scribble your designs down, come up with a strong theme.  Cab design and building is an organic creative process (or should be).  When you've got the seeds of your project in terms of ideas and design, start your project thread, the most useful advice and tips will flow in from there onwards.

Cheers

Ond

compute

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2018, 05:33:36 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 06:07:23 pm »
Decide what games are most important to you and put in controls for those. If there's a game that would require changing the panel totally for one game (Defender, Tron, etc) think about how badly you want to play that game. Maybe you can make provisions for adding 'modules' for specific games if you just can't live without the right controls. My cousin has cab with 4 sticks and a trackball that doesn't even work for half the games. But the cab gets play, because 99% of the people playing (i.e. not me) will not even notice that the buttons are not leaf switch, or that the sticks are 8 way when they're "supposed" to be 4 way. Honestly, I don't even care. I just like playing the games, and it's still way more fun than using a keyboard.

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:38:07 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 06:29:53 pm »
Lots of great advice here.  I remember purchasing "the book" a few years before I ever did anything.  Had the arcade monitor on a workbench with a PC for year after that.  Remember, it doesn't have to be a masterpiece.  You also have the option to pick and choose your focus.  I opted for stock art because artwork just isn't my thing.  I also did everything in stages like most people have already indicated.   I will add that building a cabinet was one of the most rewarding projects I have ever worked on.  Jump in.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 06:59:49 pm »
As the book is now dated, it talks about basic design, but thing have changed since written, and fashions of cabinet design is always changing.

I take it you're referring to the Project Arcade book?  If so it's not terribly dated at all and the build along design is still very popular.  Little things have changed but really they're changes that will just make your live easier like simpler plug and play control solutions.  As for the fashion side, yeah there are folks pushing the envelope design-wise, but they are the exception not the rule.  The classics never go out of style.  If you build a Galaga or a Nintendo cab then you're going to have an immediately recognizable and beloved cab shape.  This hobby is fun, it can be complicated at times, but really it's not "rocket surgery".  Jump in there with both feet, stop worrying, and start building. 

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:16:09 pm
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 07:58:11 pm »

Select a monitor.

A lot of good advice here, but I agree with this the most.  Just be sure to playtest a lot BEFORE building your final draft.  Make quick and dirty mock-ups with cardboard, things stacked on boxes, whatever. 

Figure out all the ergonomics of the control panel itself, as well as where you sit/stand, the height and angle of the control panel in relation to you, and same for the monitor.  Your cab needs to be comfortable to play for long periods of time to really get the full enjoyment out of it.  This stuff can't be perfected on paper.

scam3r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 06:11:13 pm »
I f###ing did it, just needed to sit down and plan it.... every stage, and take your time.  Measure 3 times cut once.

I built this around 18 months ago, i just love this thing..  so if you ever doubting where to start...  just jump in, you will find your way, all the info you need is on the net

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:32:25 pm by scam3r »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 06:44:12 pm »
Yes it is not hard.  I got a flat pack on ebay and started from there, very similar to yours.  Nice job on the bartop.  ArcadeWorld in exciting Morcambe is the best place to get your arcade gear.  I would give Ultimarc a miss.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 07:05:01 pm »

scam3r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 07:09:41 pm »
There are quite a lot of ultimarc premium parts in this machine and they are premium priced also, but didn't find Arcadeworld till after I had finished, although i did by the green ball tops from there.

If i was to do it again, it would be a pi3 with a micro bartop design, but  I had so much fun during and after building this, I am still thinking of doing another one...

Thread Resurrection:  it's justified, as it is a valid update, that a project has been completed... it's not like its a bump...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 07:24:12 pm »
I wasn't digging at you mate ;)

Congrats on finishing your build though :)

scam3r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 07:27:59 pm »
Cheers, no worries

Yeah i did wait a long time, before I started, I obviously wasn't ready to start when i originally started the thread.

I think the hardest part was choosing a portable workbench, once I had it, it happened quite quickly afterwards.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:32:40 pm by scam3r »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 07:43:54 pm »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 07:45:45 pm »
Better late than never!
I could never drag a project out that long, would drive me insane!

Ark... wtf was that LOL

MydknyteStyrm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 12:19:41 pm
  • Makeup FX Gamer
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 08:00:54 pm »
One thing I realized after building my cab is that it never ends. I've already changed the CP twice, rewired the whole thing, bought a new monitor and even changed artwork. You have to come to terms with that it will never be finished. It will always be in a state of playability and as new tech and new computers come out, you'll make those changes. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 12:02:57 am »

Amen to that.

Put a design together you think you'll like, start building it, if it turns out bad, rip those bits out and redo them. You won't have to buy the parts again, just a piece of MDF or plywood. No big deal.
    Jennifer lights up a Lucky and contemplates this.... This seems like a silly way to build something, ultimately one may find themselves up a major design flaw. Build it in your head start to finish, buy the parts that facilitate your concepts (this is where most ideas fail)... And then build it.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 02:23:56 am »
So..prototyping on paper or cardboard is a bad idea?

scam3r

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:21 am »

Amen to that.

Jennifer lights up a Lucky and contemplates this.... This seems like a silly way to build something, ultimately one may find themselves up a major design flaw. Build it in your head start to finish, buy the parts that facilitate your concepts (this is where most ideas fail)... And then build it.

Shh.. that's the secret to ending up on Crap Mame...

http://www.wickedretarded.com/~crapmame/index.html

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 04:57:47 am »
    :laugh2: Omg that's just too funny,  Jennifer pees herself in a 30 year old thread....OMG.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:59:53 am by jennifer »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 12:13:03 pm »
The necro-ing of this thread is justified in my opinion.  Nice work!  But forget that... Holy member Necro-ing.  Jennifer is posting again...   :laugh2:

Welcome back.   :applaud:

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 01:20:20 pm »
    :laugh2: Omg that's just too funny,  Jennifer pees herself in a 30 year old thread....OMG.

Hawt
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 06:08:35 pm »
Ok, here is the thing, don't build a bartop. They are a cool and fun little toy but at no point do you ever feel like you are playing on a real arcade game. The difference in cost and labor involved to build a bartop versus a standard upright is negligible, and the bartop doesn't save any space, by the time you plonk it on a little table and put a couple of stools in front of it you will find that it actually eats more floor space than a real machine.

Also, if you build a real machine you can use pretty much any old PC you can trash pick or get for free to power it, and you can likely find an old 21" CRT PC monitor to go into it, which means you won't be spending any money on an undersized CPU or LCD for that bartop. That should save you enough money to buy that extra sheet of wood.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 07:22:36 pm »
Jennifer lights up a Lucky and contemplates this.... This seems like a silly way to build something, ultimately one may find themselves up a major design flaw.

It's just an arcade cabinet, not a pacemaker.  Sometimes making mistakes is the best way to learn.  People shouldn't be afraid to make mistakes.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 07:23:10 pm »
I f###ing did it, just needed to sit down and plan it.... every stage, and take your time.  Measure 3 times cut once.

I built this around 18 months ago, i just love this thing..  so if you ever doubting where to start...  just jump in, you will find your way, all the info you need is on the net

Congrats and nice work!  Glad it worked out  :cheers:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 06:38:47 am »
   Mistakes waste time, resources, money and create an inherently dangerous situation while working with power tools.... Know exactly what your going to do, and then execute a safe plan to achieve this goal.... If you don't believe me go ask some 7 fingered 1 eyed shop teacher.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2017, 07:18:18 am »
   Mistakes waste time, resources, money and create an inherently dangerous situation while working with power tools.... Know exactly what your going to do, and then execute a safe plan to achieve this goal.... If you don't believe me go ask some 7 fingered 1 eyed shop teacher.

But he never chopped that finger off again so lesson learnt

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2017, 08:31:46 am »

Oh come now.  Obviously I'm not referring to the kinds of mistakes one makes after downing a 6 pack and then operating a table saw while wearing woolen gloves.  Safety is obviously paramount.

I'm talking about the kind of mistakes one makes after a late-night session of doodling on a piece of paper or playing in sketchfab and then deciding, "I'm going to build this!"

Sure, maybe there is a design flaw the person didn't anticipate.  Maybe there is a technical limitation they weren't aware of.  But so what?  This is a hobby.  People shouldn't be afraid to try things and get creative.  If it doesn't work out, what's the consequence?  Wasting some MDF or plywood and a couple hours in the shop?  Oh well.

Being afraid of making *those* kinds of mistakes isn't healthy.  It's the kind of fear that stops people from trying things to begin with.  And where is the fun in that?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 05:32:04 pm »
   Late night doodling and skechpage?  I cant relate to this, Jennifers ideas come from her crazy spin cycle head , not some program or paper.  the time spent doing that could be used contemplating the physics and sourcing parts of said project....I do however agree with the fact this is a hobby, and as such it should be fun, not intimidating. ;D