Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help with couple problems with Stern Nine Ball restoration (RESOLVED)  (Read 2610 times)

arzoo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 11:15:11 am
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
Hey All,
I've been restoring a Stern Nine Ball and have just two remaining issues.

The first is that the left slingshot bumper won't work. The solenoid fires during the test, so this must be a switch issue. I've traced the wire back to the connector on the MPU board and all seems fine.  Any suggestions on what to try?

The second issue is a bit embarrassing - this pin has a non-active pop bumper and I need to change the bulb. Problem is, for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to get the top cap off. There are no screws. I would assume it's just held on with friction or I must be missing something obvious. Any ideas?

Thanks

Resolutions:
The cap was glued on - had to partially crack it to get it off.
One of the sling shot switches had a short - while fixing another connection, some solder dripped onto the base of the leaf switch (across the non-conductive spacers) effectively shorting the switch in the closed position.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:56:05 am by arzoo »
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Help with couple problems with Stern Nine Ball restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:06:03 pm »
That cap should be a snap fit. Just rock the cap gently as you lift it off.

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:45:14 pm »
Turns out the cap was glued on. I was able to remove it with only minor damage (small crack).
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:01:08 am »

That happens a lot.  The cheapo tabs break on those caps and people glue them back on.  In the long run it's best to replace those broken caps in a restoration.  Fortunately this one isn't a super expensive one like in a Fathom or Xenon.

When you say "traced it back and the switch wire is fine" do you mean to say you checked continuity or you eyeballed it? 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:18 pm »
change that pin on the connector - or trace continuity through that wire/connector/trace on the board to the TIp transistor.  diode check the driver board transistor.  Even if it tests ok they are sometimes bad - replace if unsure.  Past the transistor to the chip I'm out of my board repair depth. 

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:33:54 am »

That happens a lot.  The cheapo tabs break on those caps and people glue them back on.  In the long run it's best to replace those broken caps in a restoration.  Fortunately this one isn't a super expensive one like in a Fathom or Xenon.

When you say "traced it back and the switch wire is fine" do you mean to say you checked continuity or you eyeballed it?

Yes - I had traced it all back. Turns out there was a short, so the switch was in the closed position as far as the MPU was concerned. Thanks, for the help.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Help with couple problems with Stern Nine Ball restoration (RESOLVED)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:23:26 am »

Could you provide details on the short so the solution sits in the same thread as the question?