Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Ideas?  (Read 10538 times)

rtkiii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2022, 02:55:49 pm
  • Ready to Build! Not building? Making Movies!
    • RTKIII Productions YouTube Channel
Control Ideas?
« on: January 25, 2013, 09:29:03 am »
Hey guys,

Getting to the point of trying to plan for the control setup of my MAME arcade.  I believe I am going to go with the I-PAC4 because of the amount of pins I can use and custom config.  With that I am wondering a few things?

1.  Can I buy any joystick/buttons from other sites or do I have to buy from the vendor who makes the IPAC
2.  What joystick do you recommend for a MAME setup the will have old classic games(Pac-Man, DK, etc) and newer fighting games like MK, MKII, etc.  Please recommend a brand and model if you have one in mind
3.  Does it need to be adjustable from 4 to 8?  If you have 8 wouldn't that play the 4 style games fine?
4.  Anyone selling the IPAC 4 cheaper than the $65 on the site?  :)

thanks
rich
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:45:28 am by rtkiii »

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2023, 07:43:50 am
  • Mame Weekender
Re: Control Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 11:43:09 am »
Hi,
I had similar requirements to yourself for the games. The thing is some (Pacman, donkey kong) are 4-way and others are 8-way. For this, I decided to go with the Mag Stik Plus which does 4 and 8 way by pulling from the top. There are others, but they are all controlled underneath somehow. I believe the mag stik plus isn't so good for fighting games though due to the short through. I'm not a great player of these though (but will have some). An 8-way works, but not great I understand - you hit the left/up diagonal and pacman / jumpman won't go up OR left and it messes up your game! I suppose the way  to tell would be to play it on the keys or a gamepad in mame and see what it does when you press left/up together.

The buttons were the budget ones - £1.20 each I think.

I went for the mini-pac which seems to be the iPac but with trackball/spinner control also and simpler to wire. It also works out cheaper than iPac/OptiPac if you have a spinner/trackball as its all in one.  Any joystick/buttons work with it (and the iPac (I believe).

I'll let you know how it goes though, I should get it all next week! I ordered from Gremlin. The price did tot up with VAT and postage but I didn't find any others any cheaper in UK though let me know if you do.

rtkiii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2022, 02:55:49 pm
  • Ready to Build! Not building? Making Movies!
    • RTKIII Productions YouTube Channel
Re: Control Ideas?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:04:33 pm »