Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Mario Brothers - 2-Player Bartop  (Read 5621 times)

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
Super Mario Brothers - 2-Player Bartop
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:48:51 am »
What's that you say? What's "CoryBee" been up to? You got it right, building more bartops.

Didn't want to bore you fine fellas with updates that are just damn repetitive (to myself included) considering the many times I have posted threads.

So here it is, Super Mario themed Bartop. Theme chosen by the client (she wanted to choose the art)

Concept Image to give her a quick idea what the art would look like.

She agreed to the design and placed a deposit after coming to check out my other works.

For those who care: $600 total, with a $200 Deposit

Final Pics

w\flash

w\out flash

Back panel

For those of you following the serial plate thread, here is a shot of one I created with the new thickness.

And some shots of "Super Mario World" & the menu.

Thanks for looking. Cheers  :cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:35:20 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Super Mario Brothers - 2-Player Bartop
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:20:01 am »
Cory -- Because we're friends, it's time for a little tough love.

Please tell me this is not how you planned for this CP to look.   :o

You may have thought you had vision, but of the 4 characters on the CP, two have their faces covered with buttons and the other two look like they are Joynicorns.

Sorry to say, that puts this CP at 0 for 4 on composition.

It will look so much better if you move the characters a bit so the faces (especially the "windows to the soul" a.k.a. the eyes) aren't covered with buttons and joysticks aren't sprouting from foreheads.

If you shift the CP several inches to the left, I think it will elevate this build to it's rightful place as one of your best.

The new profile and adjusted marquee size are both excellent as is the marquee itself.   :cheers:

The fit and finish show that you truly are mastering the art.

The only thing hurting this otherwise gorgeous build is the double-coyote ugly CPO -- re-compose that and this is a bases-loaded out-of-the ballpark home run.   :applaud:

Scott

lordnacho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 09:46:00 am »
Agreed, but on a tight CP like that, fiting 4 characters that big looks impossible to me.  I'd say smaller or less(2?) characters

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:03:25 am »
Drop the CPO image down to the front of the panel and have the red and white candy stripes wrap over the top the panel, loose the T-molding around the edge and round the whole thing off so it's a smooth curve.  Either make your bartops big enough to where you don't have to overhand giant CPs or use fewer buttons - it look ridiculous. 

OpFlash

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2017, 06:37:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:01:47 pm »
I agree about the art on the control panel, but overall I really like the work you put in on this project.  Nice job.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:39:03 pm »
Thanks for the tough love PL1, and the compliments. The lady was really insistent on a mario and luigi spanning on the control panel, here is the other image she thought she might like. Obviously ended up with the red one.

I knew a head of time that the faces would be covered a bit, I alerted her to this and sent her update pictures when I printed the art. She loved it, I need to get better with designing CP art indeed, mainly adding button shrouds or whatever around them and placing the art behind that.

Put the CP image on the front of the panel? Also, I think the pictures don't do justice for the size of this thing. It is very compact, ( 21 1/2" x 6" ). It keeps everything nice and snug, but still allowing enough room for two people to play on it. In fact, the whole bartop is much smaller than most I have seen.

Anyways, now that I am done seemingly defending the bartop, I do appreciate any criticism as it allows me to improve at a much quicker rate.

Oh and thanks optflash!

Post script: Screw you PL1, I just clicked on that vision link  :angry:

OpFlash

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2017, 06:37:34 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 01:12:21 am »
No problem!  This is a nice Bartop for sure. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 01:20:46 am »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 02:49:44 am »
Nephew playing the Mario MAME machine

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:59:10 am by CoryBee »

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:59:43 am »
^^^ Fixed Video Link ^^^

HollowPointAMG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2013, 07:14:39 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 07:36:06 am »
Nice build.  What did you use for the monitor?  I might've missed it.

Phase 1: Design

robe_uk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2013, 03:21:48 pm
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 08:28:04 am »
Nice bar top, funny my son loves playing super-man too, top tip for your nephew use the 2nd button and he can kick, kills the sliver dudes quicker lol. :cheers:

Although I must have my buttons wrong as I have buttons 1,2,3 on the top row, I wired it up before I researched layouts fully, ::)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:29:45 am by robe_uk »

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 02:14:18 pm »
Nice build.  What did you use for the monitor?  I might've missed it.

The system behind this bartop is an HP Pavilion dv9000. So the monitor is the laptop's screen.

Nice bar top, funny my son loves playing super-man too, top tip for your nephew use the 2nd button and he can kick, kills the sliver dudes quicker lol. :cheers:

Although I must have my buttons wrong as I have buttons 1,2,3 on the top row, I wired it up before I researched layouts fully, ::)

Thanks, I set up a few games with proper layout (Mk1,2,3 & other fighting games that it is important). The rest feel comfortable to me to have the bottom row be 1, 2, and 3.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 08:03:32 pm »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,123359.msg1310228.html#msg1310228

Ok everyone click on this link and click on the cheap beginnings archive..........look at where Cory's came from and where he is now....

MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT.....

Dammit, if the woman wanted a big ass CP for $600.00 then thats what you build....She wanted characters across the whole thing and buttons cutting through their faces.......

Cory got paid........thats all that matters.......for perfection you pay 1000.00...for 600.00 you get a big ass CP and a have a wonderful day.....

Yo, please look at the link in this post, it will keep you from saying anything negative about this build........Trust me....

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 08:20:54 pm »
Rablack, that's great and all man but it doesn't change the fact that there are some fundamental flaws with the build.  You are totally spot on, Cory has progressed as a builder, and it's great that he continues to stick around and put his wares up for us to see, but what kind of friends would we be if we didn't voice opinions and make observations with an aim to spur Cory towards even better building.  Acknowledged, you have to sell to your base and not every work is a masterpiece, but we're not the base.  We're the connoisseurs and if he's only posting here for "attaboys" (which I don't think he is) then he's here for the wrong reasons.  I for one will continue to make observations and voice my opinion about build quality because of the progress Cory has made.  After all, if it wasn't for the feedback he's gotten here isn't it possible he wouldn't have made such stellar progress?  Yo?

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 08:22:25 pm »
HAHA, thanks rablack.

I don't know why you guys think the control panel is huge.....it doesn't even stick out an inch from the sides and is barely 6 inches out from the thing. I barely fit all the buttons and joystick in the thing...  ???

I do agree on the CP art, she wanted to choose it, i wanted something else.

Kind of like this one ^^

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 08:23:21 pm »
Rablack, that's great and all man but it doesn't change the fact that there are some fundamental flaws with the build.  You are totally spot on, Cory has progressed as a builder, and it's great that he continues to stick around and put his wares up for us to see, but what kind of friends would we be if we didn't voice opinions and make observations with an aim to spur Cory towards even better building.  Acknowledged, you have to sell to your base and not every work is a masterpiece, but we're not the base.  We're the connoisseurs and if he's only posting here for "attaboys" (which I don't think he is) then he's here for the wrong reasons.  I for one will continue to make observations and voice my opinion about build quality because of the progress Cory has made.  After all, if it wasn't for the feedback he's gotten here isn't it possible he wouldn't have made such stellar progress?  Yo?

:cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:35:20 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 01:59:35 am »
Dammit, if the woman wanted a big ass CP for $600.00 then thats what you build....She wanted characters across the whole thing and buttons cutting through their faces.......

Actually Cory said,
The lady was really insistent on a mario and luigi spanning on the control panel

Sometimes the customer doesn't know what they want until they see a better alternative.

Sometimes they don't anticipate how others will see things, like this government agency's £14,000 logo redesign.

According to insiders, the graphic was already proudly etched on mousemats and pens before it was unveiled for employees, who spotted the clanger within seconds.

Cory has tried before to dissuade a customer from making a not-so-great choice -- Doors theme bartop -- but he knows that the 2nd golden rule still applies, "Them that has the gold makes the rules."   :lol

Scott

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 03:04:26 am »

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:54 am »
LeChuck,

I agree, your are 100% spot on.  We are the devils of demise in regards to critiques, some people rebound from it, some folks disappear forever.

If everyone followed the fundamentals thought this forum would be boring, these are CORYCADES, i click on these links just to see what the hell this man has conjured up, why cause it's unfundamentally different.....

I look these builds as Happy Gilmore creations, Happy on the golf course, the fundamental gods say "NO"

I also know you are going to voice your opinion whenever you feel, where you feel...I see this everywhere on the forum....I was just trying to give my man so positive comments....

Thats right i said "YO"

It's a term used to get peoples attention, it worked cause you repeated it....

:cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 05:44:10 pm »
I must be in a miniority, but I like The Doorscade (even though I generally don't like non-arcade-related themes).
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

slappyhooper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2016, 06:59:59 pm
  • Being a civilian...That's the life!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 03:09:30 pm »
So you have to bear with me. I'm working on cleaning up my sense of humor, but it's a work in progress.

As soon as I saw the CP, only one thing popped into my head. My old 1st Sergeant.  Every time he'd get mad and yell, he'd end the rant with "Don't stand there staring! Do I look I have a D#@K growing out of my forehead!"  It was kind of the signature thing we'd mock him about behind his back. The saying became wildly popular amongst us lowly enlisted.....

Heh, I refer you to the picture of Toad right where the player 2 joystick is located.......

Past that, with regards to the build itself, I don't have a comment, this just struck me as very funny.