Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Afcade (working title)  (Read 33588 times)

CREDO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2017, 08:17:25 am
  • its never finished
Re: Afcade (working title)
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2013, 07:29:52 am »
Nice.
Saw boards are so handy, I couldn't have done mine cab without one. I made two in the end, a really long one and a shorter one.

About countersinking mentioned before, I have found that you need to drop the screw heads in deep enough to allow putty to really get in there and allow for sanding, if the screw head is too shallow/flush the top layer of putty is too thin and may crack or fall out.
Apply with a paint scraper or credit card or something saves a lot of sanding later.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2023, 07:43:50 am
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2013, 10:07:38 am »
A 3-day weekend, good weather and still I've got very little done. I did sort a flush trim router bit, and 200 5mmx30mm screws that I'll need to join it all together whilst I was there but...

I resank the screws on the sawboard, and filled it. I didn't even sand it after yet so even that isn't yet complete.

I just need to mark up the MDF with the side panel and cut it. Then use that to template the other side. I think it's taking the plunge now more than anything that's stopping me - the moment of truth as to whether I can actually do this or not!!

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2013, 09:09:02 am »
Saw Boards are Essential to ripping wood.  Good job and enjoy!

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2013, 06:07:21 am »
T-molding.com order arrived in Jamaica on 8th May and it looks like it decided to stay there. Can't say I blame it but I really want my slot cutter now :-(

Still, gives me some time on these rainy days to, er, setup (read: play) Mame. Taken all the spinner/trackball/driving/other control games out for now and added a few other joystick/button games. Pretty sure other control games will come later (switchable panel/add to the current panel) and I'll keep the first one simple.

Other than that, nothing to report. Still have the issue with the USB keyboard not working in mame (XP, Mame 01.48u2 hiscore version) but it works on my main PC (just not the one I'll put in the cabinet) so I've not really looked further either.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2013, 06:32:33 pm »
Hehehe Don't worry that happens.  It would have left Jamaica on the same day/next day that it arrived on and will now be sitting in a royal mail sorting office somewhere awaiting customs clearance etc. 

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2013, 05:54:23 am »
I'm sure a sharp 3-bladed spinning nunchuk type router blade will have no trouble in customs :-)

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2013, 07:21:23 am »
My T-Molding order to the UK is STILL listed as in Jamaica since May 8th. Is this normal?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2013, 02:33:59 pm »
If you look at my thread you will see how long it took for mine to arrive.  Trust me it left Jamaica a long time ago, it's just that once it leaves they never seem to update to show that it is on route.  Unfortunately Royal mail always seem to have a 3 - 4 week delay on stuff that has to be customs checked. I fully expect it to turn up by the end of the week for you.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2013, 04:43:42 am »
Cheers Nic. I remember you waiting a long time, I just hoped that was an exception but it doesn't really matter as even with this good weather I've still not got chance to get outside and saw my sides!

What projects are you working on now?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2013, 04:32:27 pm »
In all honesty when it comes to projects I haven't been doing anything. I have though celebrated the Wife's 40th Birthday whilst riding rollercoasters in Spain, then came home to find a leaking water header tank, so cleared the cupboard rebuilt the shelving, installed new tank. Other then that its mostly been work/overtime/Home/Dinner/Sleep. It's my go at turning 40 on Saturday so the only project I plan on working through this weekend is a bottle of Stoli  :cheers:

I really should pull my control panel and put the new piece of Perspex on, Then take some finalised pictures.  But as usual I'm being a bit lazy  :laugh2: :laugh2:

As Afroman would sing.

I was gonna finish off my arcade, until I got high,
I was gonna cut up the Perspex, But then I got high.
It'll be this way forever and I know why
Because I got high, Because I got high, Because I got high.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2013, 11:48:05 am »
So, it's arrived at the Royal Mail collection point. With a customs charge of £12.98 (inc £8 handling fee). What is the charge for - VAT?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2013, 05:05:22 pm »
Import Duty, so yeah basically 20% VAT.  It's ridiculous that they can slap the £8 charge on though, The only way round it all is to get the other end to mark it down as a gift, then there is no duty and no stupid handling charge.  Unfortunately when buying from a legitimate business it's unlikely to get marked as a gift. I think everything I have ever ordered from China that was less then £50 was passed straight through with no issues.  I'm fairly sure all of those were marked as gifts  :laugh2: :laugh2:

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2013, 08:33:51 am »
Summers Over. Time to stop procrastinating on the woodwork side and get it done. The software is there, though I keep tweaking it for no reason and changing game lists but I need to do the woodwork now. I've got all the stuff - wood, brand new router, collar bits, t-molding, joysticks, buttons so WHY don't I just spend an afternoon sawing at least some of the cabinet - even if its just the 2 sides ?!

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2013, 11:37:53 am »
Inspired once more by OND's design and the combo of it and Doc's modular control panel by Ma.go. I want a modular panel at some point as the games I really like cover wheels, guns, trackballs and the lot. My top 5 (in no order) are probably Operation Wolf, Out Run, Arkanoid, Golden Tee and Pac Man - a fair few different controls needed for them!

That said, I can do a 2x6 button and trackball setup for now - inside the dimensions of the cabinet (28" wide I reckon) so it can be taken off and the modular panels added. I do still want to keep it as simple as possible - my lack of woodwork skills is already holding me up at this point. Then the artwork (for Mala and the cabinet) will do so next!

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2013, 08:26:52 am »
Been working on the cabinet design. I'd hoped to build 'something' by this Christmas for when my nephews and all come around but 11 months down the line that doesn't look likely! Still, there's always next Christmas. I can wet their appetites with the games on a PC perhaps this year  :)

So, my design:
It was originally combination of a slimline Woody and Lusid. In many ways it still is. However, after seeing plans and help galore on OND's Metropolis and combined with the Mago use of this design with the addition of Doc's modular control panel design. Doc's modular panel has always been a long term (phase 2!) goal of mine. The Metropolis has a similar slimline (depth) to Woody's cabinet. I like that cabinet - a real wood one is perhaps in the future too but initially I was using the slimline style only, MDF and some artwork. I expect to make mistakes this first time and therefore need wood filler and painting over which I can't do with the real wood so easily! I expect MDF is also easier to work with.

Therefore, I'm going with OND's metropolis BUT with a control panel inside the width of the cabinet. Later, this can be a modular control panel but initially it will be a 2 player 6 button each (and trackball +3, maybe spinner). The start/coin/pause/other? buttons will be on the vertical panel above the CP. The OND and DOC CP width are 24". I found that a little tight for me (as above) so I'm extending the width of the CP (and therefore internal cabinet dimensions) to 28". This will make the width of the cabinet 29.5". It won't have an overlapping CP (as Woody and Lusid does).

The plans are OND's (thanks - awesome and detailed plans and design steps- I'd not have a second wind without you and Mago's) Metropolis. So - width 29.5" (28" internal) = 749.3mm (711.2mm); Height=73.11" (1857mm) approx 6ft and Depth=574mm (22.6"). The measurements here are all OND's BUT for the width. This I'll do in inches (28") to match the Doc/Mago modular control panel 2/4/8" panels - it'll have 2x2" spacers essentially (or even 4x1") on the panels in those designs. 610mm (OND) = 28" (mine) in all cases in the design. It's mixing metric and imperial though as all width will be imperial I don't see a problem - does anyone else? Its 28" or 711.2mm - the first seems easier :-)

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2014, 11:15:34 am »
Coming up for the years anniversary of this project. Which just goes to show how lame I've been!

Still, I got a circular saw for Christmas so I don't need to borrow a friends which I was very unsure of - rusty and a blade with 3 cutting blades on it - it looks lethal!

I also got some time over the Christmas break to finalise (nearly) the software. It's going to run Mame, Electrem (Acorn Electron) and Winuae/loader (Amiga) initially - 60 games in mame, 35 in Electron and 40 in Amiga. I've used Mala and the TypeR layout with some (very) minor adjustments to show box art well in the "marquee" area. I like the simple/clean design of it and although my cabinet won't have a car theme, as such, it is just a black leather/ red trim look so it fits with the basic colours (I have red/white buttons as j/sticks, red t-molding and expect to paint it black, initially at least).

Oh, and I got a 2 player PS2 controller USB. This will be for players 3 and 4 in the finished cab (or slightly later revisions) but also allows me to play-test the setup when the weathers not so good and I can't do the woodwork so easily.

One issue I have here is that the Electron uses Autohotkey to map original keyboard control to the mame key setup (and then joysticks mapped to these keys in the USB utility for the PS2 controllers). WinUae works with a setup for the controllers either to the joysticks or keyboard (and again the USB utility mapped to these keys) and mame works with joystick=1. However, I can't seem to get ALL to work via Mala with JoyToKey running to do the mapping.

Ideally, JoyToKey would run to map the joysticks to the keypresses but although this works for Mala, it then seems to stop/be ignored once mame or Electrem are running (winuae does seem to work but I wonder if I've still got it as joystick setup). Anyone come across this? I will fiddle some more but if there's an instant solution - great!

If I run

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2014, 11:45:27 am »
My mame version is 0.149 and I think in later versions direct input is ignored (at least a second "keyboard" usb). I could apparently set src\osd\windows\input.c and set #define FORCE_DIRECTINPUT 1. However, its probably as simple to set the joystick 1 and define the buttons accordingly. I don't want to mess it up for when I've got the iPac controls done though, so will leave for now I think.

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2014, 01:43:56 pm »
My mame version is 0.149 and I think in later versions direct input is ignored (at least a second "keyboard" usb). I could apparently set src\osd\windows\input.c and set #define FORCE_DIRECTINPUT 1. However, its probably as simple to set the joystick 1 and define the buttons accordingly. I don't want to mess it up for when I've got the iPac controls done though, so will leave for now I think.
Stop talking and start building...  >:D

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2014, 07:46:48 am »
Well, Easter weekend has come and gone so did I get anything done? Yes and No...

I spent most of the time Good Friday and Saturday gardening and garage clearing. All well and good, it needed doing, but none of it is Arcade building is it.

Then unfortunately Sunday was wet. All day. Though I had a family meal anyway I had hoped to do some arcade work in the afternoon/evening.  But as I need to do the work outside  - I don't yet have enough space indoors (specifically the garage, though it's getting there) Saturday was a no-go. With more rain forcast for Sunday I wasn't hopeful. Yet in the afternoon at last I had good weather AND time to do something.

Unfortunately the neat sawboard I'd built was for a borrowed circular saw (since returned) and it was too thin for my new one. No matter, I took it apart (despite having glued it and wood-filled over the screws) and rebuilt it to the right dimensions for the new saw. It's not as neat now (undoing the glue was hard work!), BUT it does have a straight edge and it works for my saw.

I then set about marking out carefully the measurements from the Metropolis plans. One of my angles at the top didn't match those on the plans but I figured it doesn't really matter - side one will be the template for side two so they will match anyway I'll just have to be careful with the top section panels and sizings. I'm pretty sure I wasn't wrong here - I'd checked and double checked all measurements.

I extended the front-to-back size of the cabinet as I want my CP integral (I will also increase the width to 28") to allow the CP to be 28x11" and sit within the cabinet dimensions. Those are the only changes I've deliberately made to an excellent cab design (and I like the slimline look too, I just wanted an integral not box type control panel.

For the non-deliberate changes that is on my cutting. I cut the top "inwards" curve right to the line in a haste to get the cutting done. Hopefully not a problem as I can take that part of the cabinet inwards slightly more and curve onto the correct line. I'm at least pleased with the cuts - they are straight and I've not blown out the wood or caused any extra damage (yet!) I was just a little keen to get things done as the skies darkened.

Alas, the rain then came and I rushed the wood back into the garage ready for next weekends glorious sunshine (please!). I did at least take a picture or two just before the rain came though. Doesn't really show a lot except for the one long cut to the width of the cab and the top diagonal cut where I cut too far.

So, not as great as I'd hoped but AT LAST I've started sawing wood that will become my arcade cabinet. Phew! Its been enough to give me the confidence I can do this, in some form, even if it doesn't exactly match OND's or my plans totally as I'd wish :-)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2014, 08:23:19 am »
some people can get a project done in days, for the rest of us it takes a lot longer. Just work on it when you can and we'll be here eagerly waiting to watch your progress  :cheers:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:14 am »
:-) Thanks Malenko. I hope by cabinet 10 I've got the build time down to a week or two ;-)

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »
Great to see another build, Essex.

There were some measurements/angles (can't remember which) out on the original plans.

I redesigned them with conversions to metric, if any use. For the angles, I took them from three easier points off the face edge:

https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/sub-projects/cabinet-design#TOC-Cutout-Plan

Hope of help.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2014, 06:22:24 am »
Well, another weekend and (a little) more progress! I've now cut out the single side, with some imperfections to fix and sand and some curves to add.

I do have the basic shape though! Not too many errors either - over-sawing and forgetting the curve (adjusted by dropping the bezel line back 1" to re-add a curve) and a small nick in the CP section as I bought the circular saw back as it was still slowing down (fixed with a bit of wood filler and later sanding). The bezel area is still jagged edges (I'm not as straight with a jigsaw than with a circular saw and sawboard) but again it should be easily sorted with some sanding.

The current shape I have with some closer pics of the  jagged bezel area (part of which is to shape into a curve) and the slight nick error on the top of my CP area are shown in the pics.

It's probably a little too low in the control panel - but do the wheels raise it slightly? I'm 6ft so not oversized (upwards at least ;-)). It's 33 15/32 " high, at the back, though it does slope 5 degrees to the front (11" in total) so the front is slightly lower of course (I don't know how much exactly - not a lot!). Does this seem right, or too low for a CP?

Anyway, it's another long bank holiday weekend in the UK this coming weekend so i should get some decent time to sand this side down and hopefully then route my second side (which I believe I do by jigswaing the basic shape 1/2" outside the current side and then flush-trim routing all the way around the "clamped on top" finished side to cut the 2nd side to the exact size and shape (and then a little sanding).

The rest of the cutting is all square shaped wood panels so it should be easy, right :-)

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2014, 02:11:51 pm »
The rest of the cutting is all square shaped wood panels so it should be easy, right :-)

Logic would dictate that wouldn't it!? But in reality, just as much hassle. Don't try circular/jigsawing up to the cutline. 1/8 or 1/4" outside the line then (electric) plane down.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2014, 06:18:55 pm »
By the way Essex - guessing you're UK - fancy putting yourself on the UK map?

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2015, 06:52:35 pm »
Wow. Had decided to do a control panel that could later be slotted onto the cabinet itself yet playable now (posted elsewhere). Had some time owed from work so took the week off to do it.

THEN my wife gave birth to a boy, 5 weeks early, the day before the holiday started. Really happy of course but it does sum up my project (lack of) progress!!! Other priorities for now of course, but I'm sure this new fella will love Pac Man in a few years so I'll get something done for him in time :-)

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2018, 12:13:45 pm »
Right! I need to pick up on this! Gone to a pop up arcade in 3 Carnaby Street and I really want one again, if only to complete Track & Field finally!

House moves and small children and crap woodwork have put it all on hold but time to get moving.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2018, 02:43:38 pm »
We'll see you again in another 3 years. :p

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2018, 03:32:07 pm »
Too true! I’m here a fair bit, actually, but for actual project work progress - yep 3 years minimum!

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2018, 03:56:27 pm »
Too true! I’m here a fair bit, actually, but for actual project work progress - yep 3 years minimum!

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Go for it.
In the 3 4.5 years gone by since I last posted in this thread I've dug out the slope from my garden, built a 6ft high retaining wall from railway sleepers,  an 8ft x 8ft man shed, and decked half the garden.  But do you know what?  Yep that's right, I've still not replaced the control panel plexi on the bartop  :lol

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2018, 11:15:04 am »

In the 3 4.5 years gone by since I last posted in this thread I've dug out the slope from my garden, built a 6ft high retaining wall from railway sleepers,  an 8ft x 8ft man shed, and decked half the garden.  But do you know what?  Yep that's right, I've still not replaced the control panel plexi on the bartop  :lol
Hey, at least you have built the bartop!!
Checked out the pop-up arcade at 3 Carnaby Street (London)? Worth a visit....

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2021, 02:34:39 pm »
Stigzler, it’s 2021 so here I am - 3 years later!
Boy is growing up fast, it’s Mario he seems to be drawn to not Pac-Man, but otherwise it gives me hope.
I thought lockdown would give me time but work, home school and generally no time to myself means that’s not been the case
HOWEVER I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered a flat pack. Cheating I know but at least I will build my own arcade controls which is the original point of this forum so hopefully I’m not kicked out in disgust!
Hopefully some progress soon. Not “my” progress as such but at least I’ll have got through the tricky woodwork stage and move onto the electrics and computer parts I’m more comfortable with.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2021, 10:42:54 am »
At last!

The cabinet itself was CNC cut for me, but the controls and assembly work is all my own (which will be clear in the quality between the woodwork and electrics.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2021, 10:51:23 am »
That marquee area looks really narrow.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2021, 11:23:18 am »
So it looks like there are 4 screws holding the bezel in place?

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2021, 12:28:42 pm »
Marquee is 28”x5”. I think that’s normal or thereabouts. Certainly, it was easy enough to find artwork at rockstar print to meet that size.

The 4 screws hold the perspex screen onto the bezel, not hold the bezel. They will be chrome dome capped, but I won’t put those on until I’ve removed the protective wrapping and completed things.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2021, 12:30:35 pm »
28 x 5 is wildly disproportionate compared to a real cab.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2021, 01:05:23 pm »
Yeah bezel / bezel cover whatever you want to call it.  Like a real arcade cab can have a bezel for the CRT but they still call the glass with the graphics a bezel.  Anyways I would have designed it so that sits captive behind the piece at the top and the control panel.  And yes a typical marquee would have a width that is around 3.25 times the height and yours is 5.6 so its not normal.  Problem is when folks just build something and then post it they don't really want to hear design feedback.  If you post your design ideas first then at least we would feel like you considered the ideas and made an informed choice.

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 02:03:14 am
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2021, 02:28:26 pm »
Looks nice so far.  I hope you plan on a different location for it in the end.  Player 2 will suffer being against that wall and force player 1 to move further away to the left at an awkward angle.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2021, 05:17:48 pm »
Next update in 2024?

Don't feel bad. I started my cab in 2013. Effectively, I'm still building it, albeit with some small diversions along the way (currently writing a new Front End). They're a true rabbit hole.