Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Afcade (working title)  (Read 33589 times)

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Afcade (working title)
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 07:48:00 am »
Hmmm. Not sure I follow the sawboard instructions too well. Is it 2 bits of wood screwed together - 1 the "guide" edge and the other underneath, sawn to the width of my saw so the saw then runs against the guide and the blade against the edge of the under piece as well as the wood you are cutting (along a pencil line)? So the sawboard sits ON TOP of the MDF for the cabinet, clamped and lined up to the line I am cutting?

Yep that sounds about right.

As for the guide/fence.  These are not as simple as the sawboard.  You have to lay the guide down so that the edge of the base rides alongside it.  That means it is normally something like 1.5 - 2.0" away from the actual location the blade will be cuttting. Whereas with the sawboard you line it up with the cut as the blade runs along the edge of the bottom piece of mdf and the top piece acts in the same way as the saw guide would work. 

Glad to help with the collars :)  Don't forget to PM me if you need a router/slot cutter.

EssexMame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2023, 07:43:50 am
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 10:10:25 am »
This keeps getting more and more involved! I've just spent ages reading up on screw types and screw sizes. Who'd have thought there could be so many!

I suppose the question I have to answer is "what screw sizes and type do I need for 3/4" (18mm) MDF to attach to 18mm support beams. I'd say 32-26mm (almost to right upto through both), 32mm to prevent appearing on the other side! Countersunk heads, of phillips/crosshead or perhaps pozidriv/supadriv heads.

I've not got these screwdrivers (or electric) but do have a drill so could use that I'd think with the correct bits (which I may even have).

What screwsize though - Number 4/6/8/10/12/14 which in mm sizing is 3/3.5/4/5/5.5 and 6mm I believe. I always seem to use 6mm for everything at home, rightly or not but that's size #14 (?) and advice seems to be #6 or #8 - what do people think?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 06:10:58 pm »
For internal screws I just used these, If you use wood glue then these are really there to just hold everything in place whilst it sets.
I counter sunk them into the supports about 5mm or so.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware/screws/interior_wood_screws/-specificproducttype-pozidriv_drive_recess/Multi-Purpose-Single-Thread-Screw-AVF-854477-Pack-Of-25-W-3-5mm-x-L-25mm-9708261

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 05:30:38 am »
Thanks Dr. Nick for your continued and excellent help! I hope my finished product makes you think it was worth it in some small way :-)

The screws look ideal, just being shown what to get makes this sooo much easier!

so, you glue along each support strut and screw also which a) holds it in place for the glue and b) gives it more stability whilst in use?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 07:56:53 am »
The screws look ideal, just being shown what to get makes this sooo much easier!
so, you glue along each support strut and screw also which a) holds it in place for the glue and b) gives it more stability whilst in use?

Indeed that is 100% correct.  as the only supports in my bartop are at the very top and the very bottom I screwed 2 screws into the side panel and 2 into the base for each of the 4 supports. (Along with a liberal amount of woodglue) Once the woodglue has set you shouldn't really need the screws but they are not going to hurt being left in there :)

Thanks Dr. Nick for your continued and excellent help! I hope my finished product makes you think it was worth it in some small way :-)

I'm sure it will be  As long as you do the best job that you feel is possible, And that you fully enjoy using the machine when complete then my job will have been worth it.

Not that long ago I was in the same boat.  An idea of what I wanted but no real clue as to how.  A lot of nights reading through this forum and I was able to get a machine that I am happy with. You should be able to do the same.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2013, 07:31:54 am »
Not a lot / any progress this weekend. I did spend a lot of time fiddling/tweaking mame. I've got it all on my Main PC (a better one than I'll use in my cabinet, with a graphics card I can experiment with scanlines.

I've had all sorts of speed issues (elsewhere in this forum) for getting Mame DOWN to 100%. I don't know what causes it, except throttle is on and a reboot seems to sort it. It goes too fast again when I edit the mame.ini (until I reboot).

The scanlines (hlsl look good though and I'll aim to have them on the old PC (will need a PCI graphics card, it doesn't have PCI-e and may not be possible so perhaps a version 2 cabinet using my main PC in future.)

I've also got all sorts of driving/gun (played a lot of Op Wolf over the weekend!) but will stick with the plan of a simple control panel first up. Then either a second cabinet (driving sit down?) or a modular control panel (which I'm allowing for in my design, at least in theory).

I think building wise I'm waiting for the Easter weekend and the decent weather to work outside. Here's hoping!

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 07:27:36 am »
I've ordered 3 sheets of 2440x1220x18mm MDF! www.buildersmerchantsessex.co.uk (Chandlers)

Arrives tomorrow. £15.83 per sheet. Forgot to ask for initial cuts though :-( Oh well, means I'll get some practice sawing!

It means I'm committed to it now. Or I'll get gip from the wife for spending £50 on wood I never used!

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 09:05:21 am »
If I leave MDF around unused for more then about 10 minutes the wife will decide she wants new shelves or a storage box or something.  So never any fear of it being unused, just not necessarily used for original purpose :)

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 10:28:28 am »
:-) I've never made anything, not even a shelf, since some miserable woodwork attempts at school (I may even post pics - I've recently received them since my Mum cleared her house out. I also got the "Easter Holiday Diary" I had to do for junior school homework. It basically describes the Acorn Electron games I spent the holiday playing! Croaker and Monsters being the main ones (the first games I got and therefore played to death - both are still good now in fact)

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2013, 03:44:46 am »
Acorn Electron,  Wow that dates you.  Did you have Repton on the Electron?. I remember spending hours & hours on the BBC Micro playing it that's for sure.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 04:27:29 am »
Yeah, EVERYONE with an Electron had Repton :-) Never my personal fave though, that was probably Football Manager. Or Crazee Rider. Or the 2 mentioned above (which were my first 2 games - Dodgems was on the Intro cassette).

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2013, 10:24:33 am »
3 sheets of MDF arrived today.

I've also sorted Mame 0.148u2 with the hiscore.dat and done some valid gamelists through RomLister so today has been a good day!

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2013, 06:06:28 pm »
3 sheets of MDF arrived today.

I've also sorted Mame 0.148u2 with the hiscore.dat and done some valid gamelists through RomLister so today has been a good day!

Good to hear it. I really must get round to swapping out my faulty joystick base and getting the glass ordered.  I'll let you know how it works out but a piece of tempered smoked with bevelled edges is about £35 for 20" x 16" (Give or take a few mm). 

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2013, 06:55:44 am »
Snow and I will need to do any sawing etc outside so I've been inside on the computer setup again this weekend. I keep switching in/out games and emulators. I need to just settle on a list of, say, 50 with a few on other emulators. So:

50 Arcade games. Picked from those I remember and love from childhood, and some less so but I know others are a big fan:
Afterburner (II)
Arkanoid
Asteroids
Bad Dudes v Dragon Ninja
Bomb Jack
Bust-A-Move (Puzzle Bobble)
Centipede
Combat School
Commando
Defender
Donkey Kong
Double Dragon
Enduro Racer
Frogger
Galaga
Galaxian
Gauntlet
Golden Axe
Golden Tee 2000
Hyper Sports
Jackal
Kick and Run
Marble Madness
Mikie
Mortal Kombat
Operation Wolf
Out Run
Pac-Man
Paperboy
Pengo
Pole Position
R-Type
Rainbow Islands
Rampage
Robocop
Rolling Thunder
Shao Lins Road
Shinobi
Sinistar
Space Invaders
Star Wars
Street Fighter
Strider
Super Hang On
Super Sprint
Tetris
Toobin'
Track & Field
Yie Ar Kung Fu

Now, some of these I won't have the controls for initially (After Burner, arkanoid, Centipede, Enduro Racer, Golden Tee, Marble Madness, Op Wolf, Out Run, Paperboy, Pole Position, Star Wars, Super Sprint). Some (spinner/trackball) are more easily resolved but that leaves the steering wheel/handlebar/gun games. Of these, Out run and Op Wolf (via mouse/trackball) play okay. Others like Pole Position just don't play well on a joystick at all.

So, I either replace these with some others from a want list, or I find a way to play them with a joystick/button (and probably now trackball and spinner) setup. The trackball worth it for Golden Tee alone, and I can then play Op Wolf with a crosshair (and perhaps even Arkanoid/driving games too?). What do people think?

I also have a Sega Megadrive and SNES emulator added, but will probably only have Mario/Sonic games as a start at least. I don't want to swap it with games some/many of which won't ever get played.  I can swap in/out and have "guest" games on occasion or by request. Kind of a "game of the month" selection and replace those unplayed etc.

My Mala front end is a simple red background, Xirod font title/game list and a marquee & screenshot (the marquee will be gameboxes for other emulators). I will add a white border/box around the screenshots and marquee and also the manufacturer/year and list count as well I think. I also like the digital clock on the gameroom layout!

Been playing on M2 and Supermodel emulators too, but that will have to wait for a more powerful PC. The one going into my cabinet doesn't have PCI-e and is only onboard graphics.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »
That sound's like a solid plan :)   I like the idea of keeping the games list small. 

As for driving games you could either find a relatively cheap Steering wheel or you can go for a spinner with a wheel attachment.  That would cover games like arkanoid as well as 360 degree steering games.
For the trackball you could always just build a separate panel for a trackball games.  Not necessarily a complete control panel, more like a smallish box with trackball and buttons.  I presume you are running windows xp,  If you are and you only have SP1 installed then I may have a spare Microsoft Steering wheel you could have.  I believe that as a wheel it will work fine with whatever Service pack you have although if you have SP2 or higher then FFB will not work on it.  I am rebuilding my secondary PC at the moment for some testing.  I will let you know.   ( I have collected various wheels & Stuff over the years and really need to clear some junk out  :laugh2: :laugh2:

Starwars & Afterburner should work ok with an Analogue stick

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2013, 05:49:33 am »
I've considered the spinner steering wheel, but then I figure you'd need pedals or drive it one handed (as you need to hold down an accelerator button) so I'm not sure. Still, I'm going for a spinner/trackball so I guess I might as well get the 7" wheel top. I can always add pedals at a later stage, or just use the spinner one handed (without the wheel) where the driving games will work better than a joystick, I imagine...

Annoyingly, I had a wheel for PS2 but threw it out when we moved (it didn't work with PS3 if I recall correctly) - don't know why I did, I NEVER throw anything out!

I think I'll end up doing a swap in/out panel eventually - a steering wheel one and a flight stick one. Maybe even a sit-down driving/flight cabinet but that's a pipe dream at present (and v. tough to get the wife to agree I expect!).

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2013, 02:23:09 pm »
Now if you want to test it with a PS2 wheel I definitely have 2 of those you can have,  I nearly took them to the tip the other day.  (I sold my entire PS2 collection last year for a pittance but forgot the wheels) 

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 05:41:03 am »
Not as much done as I'd have hoped in the long Easter weekend. This is due to it being freezing (outside or in the garage) and also the arrival in our house of an 8 week old puppy! Cute as she is, her enthusiasm doesn't go down too well with power tool use!

Still, I did get to the generic orange DIY store and pick up some 2'x4' 1/2" MDF to make a sawboard. With the use of the new saw horses (though good, it doesn't make clamping to them easy/possible at all, at least not with my spring crocodile type clamps) but I was able to saw it to 8" and 16" lengths (I resisted the urge for the store to do this cut as a) there was a queue and b) I thought it would be good practice!

The cut was pretty straight, and I was pleased with the result. I'm also pleased with my 20mm deep 6mm drill holes, using the drill stops I bought (thanks DrNick). I'm less pleased that I left my 6mmx20mm screws in the bottom of the trolley at the shop. I did find a countersink I didn't even know I had though and will use it today so I'm ready for whenever I get the screws. Question: How do I know how deep to countersink?

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2013, 07:20:41 am »
Question: How do I know how deep to countersink?
Just enough to get the heads completely in. Better a bit too deep than not deep enough as you will cover the remaining hole with putty anyway.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2013, 07:27:31 am »
Thanks - so you just kind of guess how much to countersink, based on the screw of course? Sort of one quick whizz and try for size? No guide/way to get it flush but simply a guesstimate.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2013, 08:14:14 am »
I'm sure there is a technical way of doing it, But I just go with the guesstimate.  You will soon know learn how much it takes to get the right depth.

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2013, 11:06:50 am »
Thanks - so you just kind of guess how much to countersink, based on the screw of course? Sort of one quick whizz and try for size? No guide/way to get it flush but simply a guesstimate.

Your best friend is a bit of scrap wood. Every time I've encountered a woodworking first, I've practiced on a bit of scrap. "Save the crap for the scrap" is my motto!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2013, 01:40:04 pm »
Question: How do I know how deep to countersink?

If you are looking for a quick/repeatable method using a drill guide, try this:

Turn the flat-head screw around and trace around the head on a scrap piece of wood.

Drill through the center of the outline with a slightly larger hole than the threads of the screw.

Run the countersink down until the countersink reaches the outline.

Verify the depth of the countersink using the screw.

If it is the right depth, set the depth stop on the drill guide.

Now you can use the drill guide to countersink all the holes on your cab to the same depth.

Scott

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2013, 11:59:50 am »
Been playing around with artwork ideas today. I only have "paint" available but I've sort of pieced together what I'm aiming for in a VERY crude fashion.

Of course, it will be long/thin and scaled properly but these are the ideas. I'll need to determine a consistent bacground of course. The general idea is R-Type alien curled around ARCADE (in a Pac-man/r-type/other type font) with DG's across the top left at 45 degree angle and frogger hopping over the top.

Then appear Space Invader is throwing barrels at DK's Mario/jumpman with the Galaga beam across the top of "Arcade". Out Run car into the left of Arcade, much as it is Out Run on its own marquee. Of course, I have to have Pac-man there somewhere too.

It's not how it will look, at all, I need some time and software to sort that but the ideas at least are there.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2013, 02:15:47 pm »
I had a quick look for R-Type Vector art and it's slim pickings from my google-fu.  You may want to see the following thread.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=101184.0

It may give you some ideas and if you can contact Kyoke  they vectorised the alien for their side art :)

The rest of it should be fairly east to get Frogger, Invaders, Mario, Pac/Blinky  they are all available from arcadeartlibrary.

Enjoying the Snow today?  I finally picked up the glass, Popped it in, less then 1mm gap all round oh yes it looks good  :cheers:

Is this sort of what you were thinking of.  Was thinking of doing DG's in Neon

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2013, 04:53:55 am »
Wow, that's brilliant! As you can see I just cut/pasted what I did find into a very rough idea - simpler than writing it out! The DG's across the top in neon could work well.

The R-type pic I had was an artists impression via google. I like it a lot, but I will need to speak to the artist for permission to use it. I got lucky and found that alien's name (Dobkeratops) which helped in google. http://carpenocturne.deviantart.com/art/Dobkeratops-Doppleganger-158537508

It's a png though, not svg. I will need to get R-Type working in my mame pc though - it's very flicky on the 1600x1200 screen and I've not yet sussed why. Same ROM works fine on a (more powerful) PC at 1280x1024 so at present I'm confused.

The snow is annoying. I want to do some work on it this weekend, even if its jsut finish the saw board - but its too cold to be outside, even in the garage (where I have little room anyway). It has meant I've got the mame parts working though, but again my artwork lets me down so my mala layout is very simple!

How did you get so good at the art stuff? Do you use inkscape/gimp? I've no talent at all, can't even work out how to cut out the alien from r-type or the Out Run car without the background etc.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2013, 08:03:48 am »
Wow, that's brilliant! As you can see I just cut/pasted what I did find into a very rough idea - simpler than writing it out! The DG's across the top in neon could work well.

The R-type pic I had was an artists impression via google. I like it a lot, but I will need to speak to the artist for permission to use it. I got lucky and found that alien's name (Dobkeratops) which helped in google. http://carpenocturne.deviantart.com/art/Dobkeratops-Doppleganger-158537508

It's a png though, not svg. I will need to get R-Type working in my mame pc though - it's very flicky on the 1600x1200 screen and I've not yet sussed why. Same ROM works fine on a (more powerful) PC at 1280x1024 so at present I'm confused.

Oh and for what I do with artwork PNG is good,  very easy to set transparencies, but not so good in finding high res.

How did you get so good at the art stuff? Do you use inkscape/gimp? I've no talent at all, can't even work out how to cut out the alien from r-type or the Out Run car without the background etc.

Yeah, I did the same, but you definitely have a better quality pic of it there, I may just grab it and pop it in to see how it looks.  As for the Artwork I use Both.  You need Inkscape for the vector work and then Gimp for the rest.   Mostly I just read a lot, watched a few videos and the rest is history.  I still haven't got the finer things sorted out though,  If you look at Mario for example he has a transparency running through him even though I flattened the image and chose a background colour nowhere near the spectrum of colours included.  I will work on it a bit more though.  If you can't find the work in Vector then you need to find the largest image size you can that way you can keep the resolution high.  The hardest jobs are when you have to cut out an image from a larger image, I normally use intelligent scissors in gimp and then do some manual tidying afterwards.  I did have fun with the filters in Gimp yesterday to get the Invaders that ready brek glow. Without it they just sort of melded into the background.  I will do the Neon/Outrun Car tonight, make a few tweaks and pop another version up. when you know the size of your marquee if you want to use the art feel free.  Currently sized to something like 27" x 7"

As for PNG over SVG, Meh I like PNG as transparencies are east to set.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2013, 10:53:53 am »
DrNick - I didn't expect you to do it for me!! This forum is amazing, wonder what it is about Arcade Cabinets that attracts the helpful kind. I've started on the videos/tutorials but you must have some artistic talent, an eye for it at least, which I don't have. Still, I'll try and see what I can do as well - it's not like I've got to draw the pictures so I should be able to cut/paste. The invaders do look great btw!

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2013, 11:14:42 am »
From my design, the marquee is 26" x 6-8" (I forget which here, I think it was 8?)

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2013, 12:01:17 pm »
The marquee displayable area is 26" x 6.5", minus I guess any brackets etc that will hold it/the perspex in place?

I've been playing with some fonts for the "ARCADE" and "DG's" name also. What do you think?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2013, 06:23:39 pm »
Argggggggghhhhhhh,  3rd time lucky.  Cant be asked to type again.  Is sized correctly with nothing at top or bottom for 1/2" to allow for retainers.  Let me know if you want it printed,  I have access to a plotter at work and can do it on standard HQ Paper so you can check it out properly. 

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2013, 04:49:36 am »
It's looking really good Nick :-) Tell me, how long has it all taken you ?! I've big printers here so I'll print it out and check it out full size. What is the Neon font you've used - I really like that.

Would you be offended if I made a few small changes - basically removing some of the characters as I don't have them on my cab (initially at least). I'd probably also consider changing the font colours as I am going red (200/0/0) and white for buttons, Mala and t-molding.

Please though, this is not a request to take more of your time as you've already been really great and I think I should do some of it (once up-to-speed on Gimp etc.) not least because I've got ideas (of which many you've already included here).

Will the black background work well backlit? I know the stars in it and characters will but will the black stay deep or will it look washed out with a light behind it?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2013, 07:39:15 am »
It's looking really good Nick :-) Tell me, how long has it all taken you ?! I've big printers here so I'll print it out and check it out full size. What is the Neon font you've used - I really like that.

Would you be offended if I made a few small changes - basically removing some of the characters as I don't have them on my cab (initially at least). I'd probably also consider changing the font colours as I am going red (200/0/0) and white for buttons, Mala and t-molding.

Please though, this is not a request to take more of your time as you've already been really great and I think I should do some of it (once up-to-speed on Gimp etc.) not least because I've got ideas (of which many you've already included here).

Will the black background work well backlit? I know the stars in it and characters will but will the black stay deep or will it look washed out with a light behind it?

1) Probably about 4 to 5 Hrs,  In honesty It got a lot quicker towards the end.  I was doing it more as practice for myself then anything else.  I can say now that I love Vectors and hate Rasters . (The R-type alien was a Royal pain and could still do with some more cleaning up) I also learned that if you have an AI open it in inkscape, resize it to what you want, then save it as an SVG. As Gimp opens SVG's it made getting clean images quite easy. 

2) Nope not going to be offended in the least.  I can send you the file in XCF Format.  (PM me an email address or I can pop it up into dropbox)  There are 22 Layers so you can move them around, and or delete them as you see fit. (Ultimately it is going to be your artwork)  The font I used is called Neon Font,  I had to cheat a bit with it in Inkscape, Resized it to about 356 saved it down as a png, Then imported that into Gimp, Set a background colour, set the alpha, flattened, removed background colour which just left me with the outline of the font.  Then I just applied the Neon Filter with Dropshadow to it.  (If you need assistance with anything like that when playing feel free to give me a holla). The font for ARCADE was done pretty similar although I used a different font for it. (Can't remember name at the moment, can include in with files).  With that I used the Metallic filter on the basic font and it came out quite nice.

3) Black Background works pretty well Backlit, Mine is primarily Black, The one benefit of yours is that you have stars in the background so if you have any bubbles that you have to pinprick it won't look odd, Mine has 3 tiny little holes that let light through and its really quite annoying.  :badmood:

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2013, 02:53:17 pm »
PM Sent, along with email  Sorry about the length of the PM, My missus just said to me "Are you typing out a dissertation or something?
I Said "Summit like dat".  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:  No seriously it's got TLDR written all over it.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2013, 05:18:11 am »
:-) I will read, promise. I need the artwork and tools in front of me for it to make total sense though ;-)

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2013, 10:19:59 am »
Bunged you another PM with a direct link to the file  ;D  Looks like I'm gonna be sitting around the house a bit for a while. Got up this morning and felt twinging in me knee, thought little of it, I'm used to aches and pains now.  At work I went to unload the tape drive so just bent at the knees as normal, Next thing I'm head butting a brick wall to take the pain away.  It hasn't swollen up yet but it hurt's like Mo Fo.  So I should have plenty of spare time to help

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2013, 05:41:47 am »
Ow! I take it this is a long-standing knee problem from your comments? How did you do it originally? Great you can help, but I'd not want your knee to pop to be able to do so :-)

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2013, 08:00:26 am »
Ow! I take it this is a long-standing knee problem from your comments? How did you do it originally? Great you can help, but I'd not want your knee to pop to be able to do so :-)

Smashed myself into a tree about 25 Years ago coming off a motorbike, obliterated my Femur and knackered the knee.  At the time I did it when I regained consciousness I remember pulling the helmet off, dropping my head back to the ground, looked to my right and thought "Who's foot is that beside my head", Followed the foot up past the ankle to a knee facing the wrong way and realised it was mine.  :hissy: :hissy: :hissy:

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2013, 08:14:21 am »
Ouch!

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2013, 03:43:22 am »
Managed to complete my saw board at least. No mean feat with a 12 week old puppy!

Pleased with it too. Filled holes are the 6mm pilots when I only needed 3mm. 6mm screws and glue probably overkill for 2x12mm MDF also but....

Boring to post I know but this saw board is the first thing I've made out of wood so significant in that way!