Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Afcade (working title)  (Read 33706 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
Re: Afcade (working title)
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2021, 06:08:28 pm »
I started my cab in... oh never mind.  Keep going with your project and keep posting.  Opinions and feedback are all useful and all but actual builders are getting thin on the ground at BYOAC. I love seeing what other people build, it's why I keep coming back.  "Build what you dig bro".   :cheers:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2021, 08:56:18 pm »
Good job! I have an updated name suggestion for ya.

Arcade AF

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2023, 07:43:50 am
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2021, 07:02:39 am »
Well I've now finally got around to adding the T-Molding. Probably should've added artwork first, but tbh I don't know what to do for that yet and wanted to at least give a "finished" look to the cabinet/woodwork as it's currently sitting in the house and playable.

I've also wired up a switch for the volume and one for the lights to the outside of the cabinet (back) (i.e. I can turn off the marquee/trackball light without turning off the cabinet or adjust the volume (and even plug in headphones). The light switch was part of the marquee lighting I'd bought but didn't reach outside of the cabinet so I've extended the lead now. The volume/headphone switch was already part of the speaker set I'm using so again I just ran it out of the cabinet between 2 panels and stuck it on.

I've stuck the switches to the cabinet with "glue sticks" temporarily which seem to hold for a few days, but what would be a better/stronger solution - "No More Nails"?

PS: Cabinet is not short/wide but pic has stretched. Can't work out how to correct that at the mo!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 04:18:10 am by EssexMame »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2021, 10:09:25 am »
This cabinet will never see artwork  ;D

Edit your post and where the image is add some numbers so the tag is [img width=768 height=1024]http://...[/ img]

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:54:30 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2021, 03:46:59 pm »
I've stuck the switches to the cabinet with "glue sticks" temporarily which seem to hold for a few days, but what would be a better/stronger solution - "No More Nails"?
Hard to say without more info about what you're working with.   :dunno

- Got any pics of the switches and where you want to mount them?

- Do you have access to a 3d printer?
-- It's easier to repair/replace the switches if they aren't glued down and it's fairly easy to design a custom mount bracket. (maybe a remix of this rotary encoder mount or a rectangular switch frame that mounts on the cab using screws?)

PS: Cabinet is not short/wide but pic has stretched. Can't work out how to correct that at the mo!
The pic is over 1024 pixels wide/tall and has EXIF rotation -- see info here.

Scott

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2021, 04:20:33 am »
Pic sorted now, thanks (I edited the size to 1024x768 in a photo editor and reattached).

As for the switches, they aren't "set" in the cabinet, simply stuck onto it. Not an elegant solution but they are on the back and it's better than having them unusable inside the cabinet. I'll post a pic here of what I mean later. It's really what is the best solution to stick them (plastic) to the cabinet. the temporary glue dots are, obviously, not holding for long...

The volume switch, as it hangs down, sticks better but I want something stronger to hold the light switch without damaging the cabinet in case I remove/move the switch. NoMoreNails, or SuperGlue?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 01:24:24 pm by EssexMame »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2021, 06:24:23 am »
I'll post a pic here of what I mean later.
Good.  That pic should make it possible to provide (hopefully) useful advice based on the form factor of the switches.   :cheers:

Scott

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2021, 06:46:30 am »
Good.  That pic should make it possible to provide (hopefully) useful advice based on the form factor of the switches.   :cheers:

Pic's on the post above now  :)

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2021, 08:09:38 am »
I'd install a coin door and then mount the switches inside and access through the door.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2021, 09:42:01 am »
I'd install a coin door and then mount the switches inside and access through the door.

100% this.  A coin door will really finish this off (along with some art).

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2021, 10:41:08 am »
I'm not so sure. I actually access the volume a fair bit (different games seem to run at very different volumes) and the headphone socket from the volume control wouldn't work so well through a door - it'd be left open?

I'm also not sure about taking it apart or sawing as-is to add the door. I would like a working coin door, but probably on my next cab rather than this one at this stage I think.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2021, 11:16:36 am »
I'm not so sure. I actually access the volume a fair bit (different games seem to run at very different volumes) and the headphone socket from the volume control wouldn't work so well through a door - it'd be left open?

I'm also not sure about taking it apart or sawing as-is to add the door. I would like a working coin door, but probably on my next cab rather than this one at this stage I think.

If you notice volume differences, I think you can set them individually in MAME.  So you do it once and then forget about it.  Headphones would be another issue... could you use bluetooth for that?

As for cutting the coin door... you can be unbelievable sloppy with it.  There is a 1/4"-1/2" lip around most of them so the hole just has to kind of be close.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2021, 12:22:32 pm »
Can't tell for sure with those teeny tiny thumbnails, but it appears that you could use a simple 3d printed holder that clips onto the door like a remix of this car cup holder -- or make one for the light switch and another for the volume control.

If hanging it on the door doesn't work, turn it upside down and add a screw hole on the back of the clip so it hangs above the door.   ;D

It should be simple to design a 3d model (or two) for this application if you're interested.

Scott

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:08:31 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2021, 03:07:23 pm »
You could use a wireless mini keyboard that has volume up/down buttons.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2021, 04:28:54 am »
If you notice volume differences, I think you can set them individually in MAME.  So you do it once and then forget about it.  Headphones would be another issue... could you use bluetooth for that?
I had tried that, but I didn't find it to be very helpful, perhaps I'll try again.
I may be able to use a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the earphone socket but PC isn't bluetooth (it's old!). I probably won't use the earphones much/at all it just seemed like a nice to have