Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAWS source code available UPDATE: Now resurrected in java  (Read 41604 times)

ids

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured
Re: MAWS source code available
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2013, 11:26:50 am »
Please do ask!  How else can I know what people want?

Ah yes, the wifi bars.  Thats for an upcoming feature.  Going to add some kinda stats or bar graph thing.

Not sure what you would have needed to do with your PATH.  Typically (I think) a Java install should have your environment all set up.  Ah well, it works and thats the important thing.  For me, it takes about 38-39s to start, most of which is parsing the mame.xml.  The cheat.7z file is most of the rest.

Still looking for a name for the app, so if Electric Bugaloo gets enough support... :)

I will add 4/8 way searching and that sort of thing

Printing is easy to do as well.  And as mentioned earlier, you can select stuff from a table, then copy-paste it elsewhere.  I've also got planned various "export" options (roughed in on the File menu).  I do have Hyperspin export now.  If you provide details on the file format for your front end, I can add that too.  If anyone wants a simple CVS export or something, just let me know what fields you want to see.

Thanks

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2013, 02:48:54 pm »
Great work, very functional for a pre-beta. I thought I'd include the comments I emailed here to keep track of all suggestions.

• The filters that are expandable expand but don't collapse
  • When filters that are expandable are expanded there is no default selection. You have to manually make a selection.
  • The only Control type I'm seeing is 'Any' so you can't filter by controls
  • The Reset button only clears the top text fields, not the dropdown selectors.
  • Hitting Return on the keyboard should initiate a search rather than having to hit the button at bottom.
  • Already mentioned - On some roms when you double-click them to view detail info the detail screen jumps to the bottom which is disorienting. I think this happens on roms with long descriptions or lots of info.
  • I like the setting to select the columns that are displayed but the selection is limited, doesn't include all filters. Also when you change this setting the list doesn't refresh automatically, you have to hit Search again or do another search.
  • There are several hundred roms I see at the top of the list that have almost no information, are these from the mame xml? tecomcup, tecmocupu, tecmocups are examples.
  • I didn't try images, not familiar with that archive type.
  • It would be nice to have alternate row shading (light gray), makes viewing easier and is typical for large list views.
  • I remember in maws a feature was that you could, through one of the filters, change the mame version of the data you were looking at. I don't find this terribly useful but if you want to fully replicate maws this is something I see missing.
  • For better filtering everything should be able to have a multiple selection (even though maws didn't do this). Ie. for driver status you can only filter by Good, Imperfect or Preliminary and not a combo.
  • I notice with the expandable fields they are multi-selectable with a shift or command-click which is cool. May not be noticeable at first, should eventually be highlighted somehow.
  • For browsing roms a hierachical listing with the clones indented and a different color would be visually useful.
  • Looking at the way the pre-beta is setup and thinking about the custom meta data option I had suggested it struck me an easier way to do it may just be to allow the user to manually flag selections in list view with colors and then sort by them. That way one could go through, select 20 games and 'flag' them, sort them and output only the flagged ones. You could then share the output list with friends or the community. Or maybe there would be a way to share the setting and give it to another user with the app to import and see what was flagged?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:56:32 pm by 8BitMonk »
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 06:51:59 pm »
For naming info, according to this wiki http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAWS_(site_web) MAWS stood for Mame A Congregation Web Site. Not sure you'd want to stick with the MAWS name other than it's recognizable. May be easier to name once you know what the end product will be.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2013, 08:08:19 pm »
8bit, thanks for putting that together, much appreciated

To-do list updated

Some of the issues you mention should be resolved.  It's hard to keep track of what works for me, vs what I've posted, but I'd still recommend downloading the latest build.

I've been wondering if we've threadjacked enough, but...may as well keep going at this point

hoping to get another build out later today to address some of the to-do list

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2013, 03:13:09 pm »
Finally had a chance to try this out and even in it's current stage, it's awesome.

Here are a couple notes:
1. The default resolution doesn't work out well, but it's more of a pain because the search button and reset button are on the bottom and you can't scroll down to see them.  Maybe move them above the search fields?
2. It would be nice to press enter instead of having to hit the search button
3. It appears that snaps only work if they are jpg.  I think most are png files.
4. It would be nice to support multiple snaps.  ie Snapshots, Cabinets, Control Panel, Flyers, Manuals, Marquees and PCB.  If you go here they have all of those in separate packages.  Snapshots are also broken down into different categories like snaps of the Title screen, Snaps of Gameplay, Snaps of Bosses, Snaps of Game Over, etc.  It doesn't have to display all of them at once.
5. Could you add driver to the search result field?
6. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but some Atari games use one or more "Pokey" chips in the Hardware.  Centipede, 720, Star Wars, etc.  Why is it being shown as "POKEYN" instead of "Pokey"?
7. In the hardware part, Can you round up?  ie instead of the CPU Speed reporting 1502.0 Khz report it as 1.502 MHz

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2013, 04:57:40 pm »
2600 - thanks for the list.  Seems the "hit enter" is a popular item - I'll bump that to the top of the list (after current w.i.p.s)

iirc there is no default resolution, its using "layout managers", so the screen size is (should be) determined by the window content and monitor res.  The search and reset buttons should not require scrolling.  Could you provide a screen shot?  Are they being hidden behind the windoze bar thing at the bottom?

Supported image types from snap.zip, icons.zip and icons.0143.zip are: png, ico, gif
If you're seeing jpg's I'd be surprised, and I scan only for names ending in these extensions.  I can add jpg quite easily though.  If you know of examples where a png file is in the zip file but not showing, please provide some details, so I can debug/fix.

Thanks again - to-do list updated!

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2013, 05:27:31 pm »
2600 - where are you seeing "POKEYN"?  Or, is that a typo, and your comment is with respect to it being all caps?  I'm just showing what's in the mame.xml file.  I can convert to "Pokey" if that's what people want, but the use of POKEY seems consistent in the mame.xml file.

thx

• Offline Offline
MAWS source code available
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2013, 05:40:29 pm »
I'll get you some details and pics in the morning.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:20:36 pm by 2600 »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2013, 03:31:48 pm »
2600 - thanks for the list.  Seems the "hit enter" is a popular item - I'll bump that to the top of the list (after current w.i.p.s)

iirc there is no default resolution, its using "layout managers", so the screen size is (should be) determined by the window content and monitor res.  The search and reset buttons should not require scrolling.  Could you provide a screen shot?  Are they being hidden behind the windoze bar thing at the bottom?

Supported image types from snap.zip, icons.zip and icons.0143.zip are: png, ico, gif
If you're seeing jpg's I'd be surprised, and I scan only for names ending in these extensions.  I can add jpg quite easily though.  If you know of examples where a png file is in the zip file but not showing, please provide some details, so I can debug/fix.

Thanks again - to-do list updated!

1. For the search and reset button, they are hidden behind the windoze bar on the bottom.  When I was referring to the scrolling I meant you can scroll in the results window and you can scroll in the search window, but the window with the search and reset button are fixed to the bottom left so that they are always hidden behind the bar.  If the search and reset were locate somewhere up top I would still not be able to see the stuff at the bottom, but I would at least be able to use it without having to resize it.  Does that make sense?

2. For the images, I tested this again on 2 PC's and it now seems to be working after I rezipped the archive.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2013, 03:47:39 pm »
1.  OK, so how about this.  Since I have a big and mostly empty toolbar, I can put search/reset up there.  I'll look into sizing the window to not overlap that bar...at some point.  To-do list is not small right now :)
2. Weird.  Glad to hear it is working now.  Curious about the problem, but as long as its working....

thx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2013, 04:14:46 pm »
2600 - where are you seeing "POKEYN"?  Or, is that a typo, and your comment is with respect to it being all caps?  I'm just showing what's in the mame.xml file.  I can convert to "Pokey" if that's what people want, but the use of POKEY seems consistent in the mame.xml file.

thx

I found that the POKEYN thing was happening in a mame .146 xml.  Mame .151 doesn't seem to have it listed as POKEYN in the XML, but I can't get your app to load with a .151 xml atm.  I may try to regenerate the xml.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2013, 04:16:26 pm »
1.  OK, so how about this.  Since I have a big and mostly empty toolbar, I can put search/reset up there.  I'll look into sizing the window to not overlap that bar...at some point.  To-do list is not small right now :)

I think that would help and solve the immediate problem as long as it doesn't interfere with anything else you want on the toolbar.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2013, 04:30:20 pm »
Latest version should work with 151 - that's what I am using right now (ie. pls make sure you have the latest build).  If there is a problem loading the mame.xml, you should see some error messages on the console.  If so, please paste here so I can debug.

...anything else you want on the toolbar.

I have no particular wants - just trying to deliver what people are asking for - so there is a lot of unused space on the toolbar :)

thx

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2013, 01:24:41 am »
minor update
- tables now have alternating row colours
- mameinfo and history are now formatted, with clickable hyperlinks, and you can copy/paste out of them.  The formatting was originally designed to handle only history, so may look silly applied to mameinfo - one more thing on the to-do list.  Would love feedback on how best to format these things.

There may be other stuff, i forget

I don't do much testing, so you may want to back up your current copy of the app before replacing it with the latest, just in case.

available at the same URL

thx

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
Re: MAWS source code available UPDATE: Now resurrected in java
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2013, 10:21:28 am »
Updated the first post in this thread with your download link so it's easier to find.  :cheers:

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2013, 11:18:11 am »
Many thanks BadMouth  :cheers:

First attempt to consolidate the to-do list, not in any particular order, mostly cut-n-paste from past posts:
  • Hit enter to trigger search
  • move search/reset to toolbar
  • Splash Screen
  • Improve formatting of mameinfo and history
  • Better diagnostics when things go wrong
  • Start up without any files, so user can go to config dialog and specify where they are
  • Provide URL's to source files (dat's, ini's, images, etc).  Add a "click to download"?
  • Provide a "launch" button to run currently viewed game in mame (and mess?)
  • Stats/graphs
  • Print
  • More export options
  • Search eg 4/8 way joystick
  • fix scrolling speed w/ mouse wheel
  • use colors.ini?
  • custom meta-data
  • a NOT option on search (eg exclude Fruit Machines, Mature, etc)
  • Enable mouse forward and back buttons for traversing history
  • Tab-based details pages. Ability to open new tabs when viewing game details
  • Hyperlinks to games listed under "recommended games" in the info details
  • Improve default resolution for windoze
  • It would be nice to support multiple snaps.  ie Snapshots, Cabinets, Control Panel, Flyers, Manuals, Marquees and PCB.  If you go here they have all of those in separate packages.  Snapshots are also broken down into different categories like snaps of the Title screen, Snaps of Gameplay, Snaps of Bosses, Snaps of Game Over, etc.  It doesn't have to display all of them at once.
  • Add more options (eg driver) to the search result options (config dialog).  When you change this setting the list should refresh automatically.
  • Fix rounding of values:  ie instead of the CPU Speed reporting 1502.0 Khz report it as 1.502 MHz
  • Collapsible filters
  • When filters that are expandable are expanded there is no default selection. You have to manually make a selection.
  • There are several hundred roms I see at the top of the list that have almost no information, are these from the mame xml? tecomcup, tecmocupu, tecmocups are examples.
  • I remember in maws a feature was that you could, through one of the filters, change the mame version of the data you were looking at. I don't find this terribly useful but if you want to fully replicate maws this is something I see missing.
  • Expandable fields are multi-selectable with a shift or command-click - should provide a way to communicate this to users.
  • For browsing roms a hierachical listing with the clones indented and a different color would be visually useful.
  • Allow the user to manually flag selections in list view, sort them, export/import list, custom meta-data assignment, etc
  • The ability to output filtered lists to appropriately formatted xml for popular frontends.

Please let me know if I've missed something (bug or feature or other).  Please also get the latest build as changes have been frequent and a number of previously reported issues and feature requests have been implemented.  And don't hesitate to ask for something!

Thanks everyone!

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2013, 04:04:23 pm »
Updated version available, details described inline below:

• Hit enter to trigger search - DONE
  • move search/reset to toolbar - Copied, not moved; Done
  • Splash Screen
  • Improve formatting of mameinfo and history - very minor changes for now
  • Better diagnostics when things go wrong
  • Start up without any files, so user can go to config dialog and specify where they are
  • Provide URL's to source files (dat's, ini's, images, etc).  Add a "click to download"?
  • Provide a "launch" button to run currently viewed game in mame (and mess?)
  • Stats/graphs
  • Print
  • More export options
  • Search eg 4/8 way joystick
  • fix scrolling speed w/ mouse wheel
  • use colors.ini?
  • custom meta-data
  • a NOT option on search (eg exclude Fruit Machines, Mature, etc)
  • Enable mouse forward and back buttons for traversing history
  • Tab-based details pages. Ability to open new tabs when viewing game details
  • Hyperlinks to games listed under "recommended games" in the info details - First Draft, some of the names do not match exactly
  • Improve default resolution for windoze
  • It would be nice to support multiple snaps.  ie Snapshots, Cabinets, Control Panel, Flyers, Manuals, Marquees and PCB.  If you go here they have all of those in separate packages.  Snapshots are also broken down into different categories like snaps of the Title screen, Snaps of Gameplay, Snaps of Bosses, Snaps of Game Over, etc.  It doesn't have to display all of them at once.
  • Add more options (eg driver) to the search result options (config dialog).  When you change this setting the list should refresh automatically. - Added Driver
  • Fix rounding of values:  ie instead of the CPU Speed reporting 1502.0 Khz report it as 1.502 MHz - Fixed
  • Collapsible filters
  • When filters that are expandable are expanded there is no default selection. You have to manually make a selection. - Fixed - maintains original selection (or "Any")
  • Expandable fields are multi-selectable with a shift or command-click - should provide a way to communicate this to users. - Added Tooltip
  • Allow the user to manually flag selections in list view, sort them, export/import list, custom meta-data assignment, etc
  • The ability to output filtered lists to appropriately formatted xml for popular frontends.

Please let me know if I've missed something (bug or feature or other).  Please also get the latest build as changes have been frequent and a number of previously reported issues and feature requests have been implemented.  And don't hesitate to ask for something!

Thanks everyone!

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:22 pm »
Another update, same url

Done
  • Splash Screen - Added my logo for now, will put something better in once someone decides on a name for this
  • Hyperlinks to games listed under "recommended games" in the info details - Much better now - DONE
  • Add more options (eg driver) to the search result options (config dialog).  When you change this setting the list should refresh automatically. - Added More - calling this done until someone asks for more

RoyalScam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2018, 05:18:41 pm
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2013, 04:39:37 am »
Thanks Again ids!

RoyalScam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2013, 04:49:49 am »
Thanks Again ids!
 I'm really enjoying this and it seems everyone else is too. I'm posting , not as a complaint, just for your own information.  I just wanted to say that it takes 1 min 39 seconds for the program to start.  Now knowing I had my own problems getting my path statement right and getting the -Xmx and -Xms parameters typed in correctly, I've probably borked something else in my system. Like I said earlier, I've been away from the command line for far too long.  That and It seems I can no longer type and think at the same time. Anyway, I wish I had more to offer in performance and bug reporting, but as far as I'm concerned, the program does what I need, and I thank you for that.  As for a name, It's yours now.  I realize that people will always associated this with MAWS, but having it on our own systems and maintained by our own romsets this is much better.  Name it however you want, and I like the splash.

My specs;
Win7 Home Premium 64 bit, Athlon 64 x2 4400+ 2.31 Ghz 4.0 GB

Hope some of this helps,

Regards,
Scam

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
RE: MAWS source code available UPDATE: Now resurrected in java
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2013, 07:29:10 am »
MAWLER

BAWLS

BAJA (bad ass Java aggregater)

MOJO

sent from my phone while driving

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2020, 03:08:56 pm
  • The cheap@ss gamer
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2013, 08:44:58 am »
I like Baja! :D

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

Doing arcades, the cheap@ss way!
First Project : ttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151071.0.html
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2013, 10:03:33 am »
... it takes 1 min 39 seconds for the program to start...

:o

That's more than a minute above my start-up time.  Wow.  Sorry, I had no idea it was that bad for some people.  In my mind, that makes it pretty much unusable.  I'll move it on to a database asap.  I have a lot of faith in the XML parsing library I am using, so I think there is little else to be done about performance.

Thanks for letting me know

I think if we called it BAWLS, a lot of people would deny playing with it  ;)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2013, 10:10:37 am »

:o

That's more than a minute above my start-up time.  Wow.  Sorry, I had no idea it was that bad for some people.  In my mind, that makes it pretty much unusable.  I'll move it on to a database asap.  I have a lot of faith in the XML parsing library I am using, so I think there is little else to be done about performance.

Thanks for letting me know

I think if we called it BAWLS, a lot of people would deny playing with it  ;)

Haven't tried the two most recent incarnations, but my startup time was nowhere near that on either my laptop (i7, 3.? Ghz) or my work computer (i5 3.2 Ghz).  Just tested the work computer and it's more like ids time 30-40 seconds.
Startup time is a small price to pay IMO.

EDIT: I'm not using it with pics yet, although I don't think that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:12:53 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2013, 10:18:53 am »
Just tested the current version on my work computer.  44 seconds to load.

For the name, I like MAWLER and think the logo should incorporate a zombie since you're bringing MAWS back from the dead.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2013, 10:52:41 am »
Thanks BadMouth.  44s is a long wait for an app to start, imho

Royal - if you look at the console, you'll see the time to read each of the files.  Based on a 1:39 total, I'd guess mame.xml will come in around the 1:30 mark.

fwiw, images are only loaded when a detail screen comes up, and even then, the zip file(s) is scanned for the appropriate image, which is loaded, and the zip file is closed.  Should be quick and use minimal memory.

Does MAWLER stand for anything?  Fwiw, if I can get a database under this thing, we'd probably not need a splash screen anymore.  However, if someone feels like doing the artwork, I'd put it in - splash screen and the "About" dialog (there is no "about" right now, but I'd add one).  Hmm, a MAWS zombie....interesting...

thx

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2013, 11:09:23 am »
Just tried on a Core 2 duo E8400 3GHz 4GB RAM Win XP
>1min
Much uglier than on my mac as well

I've got some work to do....

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2013, 11:17:31 am »
Does MAWLER stand for anything?

Nah, not yet anyway  :lol.  Just trying to shoehorn MAWS into something else.
I'll think up some more ideas while pretending to work.

RoyalScam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2013, 01:32:55 pm »

Wow.  Sorry, I had no idea it was that bad for some people.  In my mind, that makes it pretty much unusable. 

The long startup really doesn't bother me, I just posted because I thought you'd like to know. It isn't a deal breaker by any means.

Here's the console view you asked for , and frankly, I'm sure the majority of the problem rests with me. Hope it helps!

Regards
Scam

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2013, 03:32:37 pm »
That really sucks - 92s to load mame.xml
duno where you find the patience
it's work in progress....

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2013, 02:59:48 pm »
Great work on the updates ids, it's progressing nicely!   :applaud:

Here's some more feedback for you:

• UI: When you hit 'reset' icon it should collapse the expanded dropdowns
  • QUESTION: What is the little bar graph icon to the right of the arrow it doesn't seem to do anything
  • NEW IDEA: Checkbox Exclusions (see screenshot): Checkbox exclusion buttons - One of the users primary goals is to weed crap out of their mame list so there should be an easier way to exclude a common 'junk'. There are dropdowns for a couple now (ie. mahjong, adult) but I think having all the common ones listed with checkbox buttons would work better. For instance now if I wanted to exclude mahjong games, adult games, bios, playchoice, quiz, pinball (common crap) I'd have to do multiple pulldowns and not all of them are even available. An area with checkbox tick boxes would be ideal.
  • NEW IDEA: Custom Filters (see screenshot): Though MAWS listed a ton of filter options on the left for specified categories I always thought this was inefficient. I'm not sure about other users but I typically (other than exclusions) only need to filter by a handful of categories. Why not let the user select the category/subcategory on their own? This saves space in the leftnav, allows room for the excusions, gives the use more control, is more intuitive for them and less overwhelming. Ideally in a web environment (maybe it can be done with java?) a user could add/remove filters as they wish
  • MINOR FEATURE ADD (see screenshot): A 'List All' button which basically just resets all fields and automatically does a new search.

I like the MAWLER name and did up some splash screens. I ran with the resurrection theme and included a zombie but there are also plain ones with just stylized text if the zombie isn't to taste. MAWLER would be a nod to MAWS and the LW in it could be for 'List Wranger'? Mame List Wrangler? A stretch maybe but most of the letters are there anyway.  ;D  Happy to make any changes to color, name, etc. just shoot me some feedback.

Thanks again for all the work on this, good job. :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:42:41 pm by 8BitMonk »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2013, 01:17:46 am »
Great artwork 8bitmonk!
And thanks for the search/filter ideas - I'll be working something like that in asap.

The graph icon is for a feature I've yet to implement - I wanted to show some kinda stats or bar graph of how many games for each type in the list, or something

RoyalScam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2013, 10:11:47 am »
Howdy!
     Just to let everyone know, something that is more than likely common knowledge.  I had asked in a previous post for a way to print or at least copy the returned search information so that I might use it for creating gamelists or whatever I needed the information for.  Using Win7, I had tried right clicking the search window, and because no little menu popped up with copy...paste..delete and so forth, I just moved on figuring I couldn't do anything here.  Then I remembered CTRL-A (select all) and CTRL C (copy). Even though there's no indication, the selected info is, of course, copied to the clipboard and easily pasted to whatever app you want.  I used OpenOffice Spreadsheet. After some global formatting to clean up the justification and whitespace I could use any part of the data any way I wanted.  So for all of you shouting at the screen saying "DUMMY!" you're right.  I work from 9pm until 7am and type this stuff in the mornings after work, so I'm not the most coherent person. I hope this helps anyone else who may not have picked up on this.

And again really the long start-up doesn't bother me in the least.  You should know, I also regularly use a Commodore 64 (not an emulator) and something that loads in a minute and a half is lightning fast!

Thanks Again!
Scam

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2013, 10:21:03 am »
If this thing progresses into exporting xml files that have categories excluded, the exported xml could be used to boost startup time.

I went through a series of rounds with romlister and manual editing to get an xml file that didn't include any gambling, mechanical, adult, mahjong, etc.
I should have time this evening to see how much faster that one loads.  IIRC it took the number of entries down to somewhere between 8,000 and 9,000 entries.  There are probably more damn fruit machines in the standard mame.xml than arcade games.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2013, 12:17:41 pm »
Hmmm, that is a very interesting idea BadMouth.  I'm sure I could implement a way to remove the unwanted stuff to speed up start time.  That'd be a lot less work than putting a database under it.

Royal - I have implemented the CSV export, and will post an update soon.  You can also pick which fields to export, to suit your needs.  Still using a real C64?  Man I miss those days....Not so much the 2min load times, but....

imho, in this day and age, people should not have to wait for computers - they got fast a few years ago.  That, and I have no patience.  So, I will still stick a database in there....when I find the time...

Right now, however, I wanted to use it to create a list of games for my micro-centipede build: verticals, trackball, that sort of thing.  AND to maybe copy those roms somewhere handy.  So that might be the next feature: rom copy/prune.  Sorry if I'm overlapping with other apps here.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2013, 02:08:40 pm »
I notice in ids app it shows around 59K total records whereas in RomLister it only shows around 28K when you hit 'List all ROMS'. I also notice a bunch of 'blank' listings. ie. there is a game set name with little or no other info in them, they don't seem like legit listings. If you filter it to only parents and good or imperfect games it doesn't really matter anyway but I'm sure it adds to the launch time.

What is the official total count for a current set of Mame roms? I thought it was closer to 20-30K.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2013, 02:35:46 pm »
I think a lot of those get picked up from history.dat - console games and whatever else is in there.  I should probably not load them, but was wary about discarding info.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2013, 02:55:21 pm »
app says it's getting 28,426 games from my xml file.
It's either from v.146 or 150. 
Got tired of waiting for the text file to open to see which version.

EDIT: ......and going through the xml file accounted for 35 seconds of the 44 second startup time.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:08:49 pm by BadMouth »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2013, 03:19:16 pm »
I'm adding another check-box to the general config tab of the settings/config dialog "Load irrelevant crap from history.dat" (perhaps better wording will make it to the final version).  This will be disabled by default, so console games and other things of dubious value will be skipped.  That should reduce or eliminate all those mostly blank entries.  I'm also adding a prune database thing and a save/load thing.  The idea is: pick filter options to show all the crap you dont want, hit the "prune this crap" button, then hit the "save" button.  On the next start-up, it will see the save file and load that.  Original files (mame.xml, etc) will not be altered, so you can always force a reload somehow (eg delete the save file).  Or something like that, it's still work in progress.  Filtering for the stuff you DONT want seems counter-intuitive, maybe I'll reverse that.  That's the plan anyway - I'll test it out, and if it's helpful, it'll be in the next build, with....other things I've done and since forgotten about :)

Would it be helpful to display, somewhere, the mame version as per the loaded mame.xml?  Maybe title-bar?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2013, 03:36:38 pm »
I'm adding another check-box to the general config tab of the settings/config dialog "Load irrelevant crap from history.dat" (perhaps better wording will make it to the final version).  This will be disabled by default, so console games and other things of dubious value will be skipped.  That should reduce or eliminate all those mostly blank entries.  I'm also adding a prune database thing and a save/load thing.  The idea is: pick filter options to show all the crap you dont want, hit the "prune this crap" button, then hit the "save" button.  On the next start-up, it will see the save file and load that.  Original files (mame.xml, etc) will not be altered, so you can always force a reload somehow (eg delete the save file).  Or something like that, it's still work in progress.  Filtering for the stuff you DONT want seems counter-intuitive, maybe I'll reverse that.  That's the plan anyway - I'll test it out, and if it's helpful, it'll be in the next build, with....other things I've done and since forgotten about :)

Would it be helpful to display, somewhere, the mame version as per the loaded mame.xml?  Maybe title-bar?

Having the version at the top would be good.

Crap I would like to filter out: Mahjong, Hanafuda (SP?), Adult, Fruit Machine, Mechanical, Gambling.