Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAWS source code available UPDATE: Now resurrected in java  (Read 41257 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
MAWS source code available UPDATE: Now resurrected in java
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:25:24 pm »
DOUBLE EDIT:  The app is much more developed and has been announced in this thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,136193.0.html

old post:

EDIT:

ids has resurrected MAWS in java.   :applaud:
(more like rebuilt from scratch, but it feels like MAWS)

Current WIP available for download here:
http://ids.ca/mame/maws2.zip

This is a BETA.  Post questions and comments here in this thread.
If you have issues read the readme and this thread first.

ORIGINAL POST:

In case anyone interested missed it.

The code for MAWS was released over on MAMEworld.
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=297485&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1&new=1356984084

Doesn't appear anyone is picking up the torch for it.  :-\

I know nothing about coding, but if it's possible to quickly knock out a way to run it locally (in it's current state), that would be pretty cool.
IIRC it was last updated around MAME v.143 which a lot of people would be satisfied with.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:24:07 pm by BadMouth »

spoot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
Re: MAWS source code available
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:41:58 pm »
Thanks for posting this.  Code grabbed.   :cheers:

ids

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 09:52:27 am »
Code taken - will see if I can ressurrect this thing

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 03:23:48 pm »
been a long while, lost interest in resurrecting the code, too many bits missing, etc.

I've started a rewrite from scratch.   However, not sure exactly all the things offered by MAWS.  All I ever did with it was the occasional search.  So, any info or feature requests welcome.  Right now I have coded bits to read in mame.xml, history.dat, catver.ini, nplayers.ini, cheat.7z.

Any other sources?  Other than searches, what else did MAWS provide that should be included?  What other stuff would have been nice to add to MAWS?

thx

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 04:21:20 pm »
Has the info in MAME.xml surpassed what was in controls.dat?
I think it was last updated v.141, but may still be of some use.

Man, there aren't even many screen pics out there, but I found a couple:

(this is from the browser window of another app)

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 04:47:03 pm »
I just took a quick look at controls.ini (0.141) and it does have a bit of info I don't see in my mame.xml, such as naming the function of buttons.  I think that's a keeper.   Thanks.

One more item for the to-do list: images - I'm not sure what to do with these.  There are so many types, sources, etc.  Can I link to them all?  Would I need local copies for some/all?

Another thing I saw in the MAWS code was some kind of support for user rankings or something, I forget now.  But, I like it; will add that.

I think it'd be cool if front ends added some kind of support (optional! I'm a big fan of privacy) to send info to some central place, such as a MAWS - this site could count how many times a game is played, hi-scores from all over the world, etc.  I imagine this is a long shot tho

Also, since I don't like doing HTML, I'll probably start with a stand-alone app, then webify it later.  Unless someone offers help.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 04:54:31 pm »
Not sure about the images.  If it's a standalone app, you could leave it up to the user to place images in subfolders.
That's how the UI versions of MAME do it.

One feature I think would be nice:  If it could tell you what other roms are needed in addition to the primary one.
For example, a neo geo rom would list the neo geo bios.  Spy Hunter would list the sound board rom which was separated out.
Not sure if that's feasible, but it would help some noobs who collect roms one at a time.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:00:20 pm »
Too bad you guys ran off Sandheaver. I bet this would have been right up her alley.

:laugh2:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 05:23:52 pm »
Yeah, I think the stand alone version will just list some URL's where you can find the files needed.  It'll be up to the user to populate the data.  Search will be only as good as the data fed in.

The rom idea sounds really good as well.  That one will take some investigating, as certain details are not obvious within mame.xml.

For example, mame.xml has a list of "biosset" and "rom" entries, but no reference to where to find these things.  I'd assume the first place it looks would be the rom zip file itself.  But if not there, then...?  Does it check the "cloneof=" or "romof=" entries?  Thus, to determine which files I need in my rom dir, I think I'd need to correlate all the XML entries with actual rom/zip content?  I'll dig into it, but if anyone knows how this works, you could save me some time.

I know there are other stand alone tools.  I haven't spent much time with any of them so I hope I am not reinventing the wheel here.

yotsuya - I dont recall a Sandheaver but then I dont get the time to read too many posts here, and then forget most of what I've read anyway  :(

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 06:34:01 pm »
I know there are other stand alone tools.  I haven't spent much time with any of them so I hope I am not reinventing the wheel here.

The UI flavors of MAME include the ability to display pics, history, etc, but lack the ability to search by genre or number of buttons, number of players, etc.

They do include a file tree that allows you to display only a certain control type.
It's based on the xml though, so driving games show up under "dial" or "spinner".

The big thing with maws was being able to select multiple criteria quickly and easily.
Let's say you were building a cab with only a 4-way joystick and weren't sure how many buttons you needed on the CP.
You could use MAWS to search for games that used both a 4-way joystick and 3 or more buttons.
It would give you a list of the half dozen games that meet that criteria and you could decide whether it was worth including the extra button.

Romlister can do that, but doesn't show you pics and all the other info from the dat files like MAWS did.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 06:45:20 pm »
Oh man I miss MAWS...

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
Re: Re: MAWS source code available
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 07:31:42 pm »
Oh man I miss MAWS...
This x eleventy billions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 09:48:58 pm »
Oh man I miss MAWS...
I miss  MAWS & mame.dk too

We've all lost loved ones  :(

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 09:58:17 pm »

Also, since I don't like doing HTML,   Unless someone offers help.

I don't remember MAWS, it was before the time i really got more involved in mame.

I've been pretty busy with quite a few other web related works lately but if you can get this working, I will design an html template for it.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 01:40:53 am »
Oh man I miss MAWS...
This x eleventy billions.

Agreed.  That's why someone needs to rebuild it.  So, I'm volunteering my efforts.  I've got a lot done with inhaling content from various sources, and now just need to push it all into a DB and slap a UI on it.  I'm hoping it wont take too long.

404 - thanks for the kind offer.   If you don't remember MAWS, then you wont remember the very long list of search criteria it ran down the left side in the advanced search mode.....actually I don't remember it all that well myself.  However, it should be easy to come close just by enumerating all the data gathered through various sources.  I'm not sure how best to communicate this.  Would you prefer waiting for a beta thick client app, or just have a list of the items, or...  I'm also really hoping others chime in with what they remember, or their wish lists, etc.  I also forgot how it handles the "or more" part of things like the "3 or more buttons" criteria BadMouth mentions, or how it combined the criteria (was it AND or OR logic?) etc  Not that it needs to be recreated verbatim - changes or improvements could always be made.

thx

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 02:40:47 am »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
RE: MAWS source code available
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 06:40:06 am »
Wow.  That way back machine link rocks!

Ids, check out the deluxe search tab.
Doesn't look like there was an "or more" option, or even an "or" option, so that should simplify.  I don't remember if you could hold CTRL and select multiple options.  I'm on a phone so can't try it on the way back link.

sent from my phone while driving

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 07:58:14 am »

404 - thanks for the kind offer.   If you don't remember MAWS, then you wont remember the very long list of search criteria it ran down the left side in the advanced search mode.....actually I don't remember it all that well myself.  However, it should be easy to come close just by enumerating all the data gathered through various sources.  I'm not sure how best to communicate this.  Would you prefer waiting for a beta thick client app, or just have a list of the items, or...  I'm also really hoping others chime in with what they remember, or their wish lists, etc.  I also forgot how it handles the "or more" part of things like the "3 or more buttons" criteria BadMouth mentions, or how it combined the criteria (was it AND or OR logic?) etc  Not that it needs to be recreated verbatim - changes or improvements could always be made.

thx

It would be best to have something tangible first before i go about skinning it.

I did do some quick research online about maws. It seemed like a really cool site. I do however, see lots of this information as almost being better suited for a wiki?

Everything in maws seems to be just simple info that are categorized in a wiki.

When you think about it, the small portions that can't be easily done with just simple wiki markup can be done with an extension. At the end of the day you are left with a site that has all of the following

core that is always being updated
site that uses one form of article markup
easily updatable
easily skinnable (i won't be around forever)

just my 2 cents anyway

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 11:24:52 am »
Have you had a look at mamedb.com? It's similar though not quite as robust as maws was in filtering.

Some months ago I had considered taking this on myself as I'm a web developer. I contacted the owner of mamedb.com to ask him about his process for parsing and displaying the mame xml info. He was very helpful and happy to share the files and an overview of the process as he's been lacking time to keep it updated.

You might want to contact him and use mamedb.com as a basis to jumpstart this. I could help in skinning as well once the framework is in place.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 11:47:58 am »
Have you had a look at mamedb.com? It's similar though not quite as robust as maws was in filtering.

Some months ago I had considered taking this on myself as I'm a web developer. I contacted the owner of mamedb.com to ask him about his process for parsing and displaying the mame xml info. He was very helpful and happy to share the files and an overview of the process as he's been lacking time to keep it updated.

You might want to contact him and use mamedb.com as a basis to jumpstart this. I could help in skinning as well once the framework is in place.

well hell, I didn't know MAMEdb had that robust of a search.
Many times it would have come in useful.

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 01:11:27 pm »
Too bad you guys ran off Sandheaver. I bet this would have been right up her alley.

:laugh2:
Dammit, I was going to say that.   :'(

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 01:14:17 pm »
Wasn't mamedb built after MAWS was taken down as a tool we could use but without all of the abilities that MAWS had?  I'm fairly certain that's how it worked out.

I can't program but I can throw a few bucks to whoever is taking the project on.   I dont think anyone's mentioned that but if it comes down to it, I'm in.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 03:08:01 pm »
^ Yeah, you're right.
I've been using mamedb but it's definitely not the same.

If there is going to be a donation drive, then I'm in. IMO the community took a big hit when MAWS went down, and I'd love to see it come back with the same features, if not, better!
I've played many games I wouldn't have if it wasn't for MAWS. In addition to the great filter searches, the random game and hall of fame features of that site were great. Also finding out all the romset info and status', plus what's changed from each release  really helped narrow down some issues with setting up working games lists.
When MAWS was pulled down, I poured out a little liquor...

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 04:09:30 pm »
I can only speak for myself - I'm not looking for any money in this.  I just want my deluxe search back.

Hall of fame you say....how did that work?  Was it just based on user ratings, or something else?

Random game would be easy enough.

romset info and status are all in mame.xml, so that's very easy

release changes...hmm.....  I'll look into that

currently I can load mame.xml, history.dat, mameinfo.dat, cheat.7z, catver.ini, nplayers.ini, controls.ini, hiscore.dat

I'm not sure what value hiscore.dat has in this context, other than perhaps the ability to flag games which are supported.

Anything else I should load in?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 04:40:33 pm »
Hall of fame you say....how did that work?  Was it just based on user ratings, or something else?
I believe it was based on rating votes. If I remember correctly, there were a bunch of different categories for genres, etc. This helped out pretty well for finding "the best" of each genre, rated by maws users.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 03:36:04 pm »
Most of the single game screen done - teaser pic attached - i chose the same game as per thewaybackmachine for testing purposes.

Not sure where to get the last changed version info from, or the "set" name in the rom listing.  Oddly enough, the "version added" comes from catlist.ini.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 03:52:41 pm »
Most of the single game screen done - teaser pic attached - i chose the same game as per thewaybackmachine for testing purposes.

Not sure where to get the last changed version info from, or the "set" name in the rom listing.  Oddly enough, the "version added" comes from catlist.ini.

last changed from clrmamepro somehow?  (it's listed in the resources in the wayback link)

Looks sweet.  I don't see joystick type anywhere (2-way, 4-way, 8-way).
Will that show up here or just in the search criteria?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 04:00:05 pm »
You're doing a good thing here ids!  Thank you so much.  :applaud:

Yeah, joystick type is super important for this. That was one of the major search parameters I've always used.

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 04:32:34 pm »

Under Game,
"set name" is the rom name

Under Data,
"set" refers to which set each rom is from, so for your example otwalls looks to be the parent so the set for each of those would be "otwalls".  So let's do a different example this time we will use the set name "pacman".  "pacman" is a clone of "puckman".  So the roms unique to "pacman" will have pacman under set and the roms that are the same as the parent "puckman" will have puckman under set.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 05:19:54 pm »
I checked the clrmamepro site - he's not hosting any dats :(  There's a link to progettosnaps but I'm not finding anything with a "last updated version" in it.

I've added in the joystick type (img attached).  Does anyone want to see other stuff, such as for dial, paddle, etc: min, max, sensitivity, keydelta, reverse?

For set names, please pardon my dragging this out, just want to be perfectly clear....

"Game/Set name" is from here in mame.xml:
      <game name="puckman" ...

Data/set, following the pacman example, we have the following mame.xml entries:
      <game name="pacman" sourcefile="pacman.c" cloneof="puckman" romof="puckman">
and
      <game name="puckman" sourcefile="pacman.c">

pacman lists 4 unique roms, pacman.6[efhj], so the "set" is pacman.
puckman has instead 4 roms not crosslisted in pacman: namcopac.6[efhj]

Then rest are repeated under both game entries, but pacman includes a "merge" attribute, such as:
      <rom name="pacman.5e" merge="pacman.5e"...
So, the "set" is puckman, I assume.

But what is the precise logic?  The lazy side of me is thinking: if there is a "merge" named, then "set" will show the games "romof" value.  That's pretty easy.  Or, do I have to actually visit the parent (cloneof?  romof?) and merge entries?  Will all clones/children have the full list of roms, or do I have to visit cloneof/romof to complete the list?  Can parents have parents - and I need to walk the tree?  Or....?

Thanks - appreciate the help!

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 08:19:16 am »
There is only one parent and all clones will list all the roms needed for that particular clone.

The merge attrib that you mentioned does imply that that specific rom is merged from the parent.

So for puckman each rom has puckman listed under set.
For pacman, roms pacman.6[efhj] each have pacman listed under set and the rest of the roms list puckman under set.

As for last changed, I don't recall any dat's with that specific info.  What might of happened is that maws created a history of each rom set probably using clrmamepro.  It's a useful stat, but you might want to save that for a future release.  It might be better to contact cutebutwrong with a general post on MAMEWORLD to talk about that particular stat.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 09:55:28 am »
So I'm messing around with HLSL and...
man it would be nice to be able to generate a list of games based on resolution.  :lol

I can't wait until this is done.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 10:49:29 am »
2600 -thanks for the info.  I think I will defer anything I'm not able to resolve for now

BadMouth - I've run an extract based on resolution and "rotate" - from which I assume the horiz/vert idea derives, result attached, hope its useful.  Ran a naive sort on it, so its a bit awkward, sry

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 10:58:30 pm »
search starting to come together
I'd like to have a richer search - multiple selections etc....

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 11:01:00 pm »
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 11:39:06 pm »
Looking good.  On sites like Mouser and Digikey, you can select multiple things in a category by holding down the CTRL button.
That would be one way of handling it.

That resolutions file was a bit much with everything run together.
I'm gonna wait for the program.  ;)

Thought of a name for this program yet?

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 11:50:28 pm »
opt2not - many thx

BadMouth - if you dont mind fighting with a half baked beta, i can provide app as-is

Haven't thought of a name - open to suggestions.

Updated the detail screen, to make better use of available space.  Still working on the layout, need to add images, etc.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 02:15:37 pm »
Question to everyone: how to display and handle "resolution" for verticals.  The mame.xml has width and height (pixel resolution) values independent of the monitors rotation (afaik).  Should I swap these for verticals, to reflect the resolution as it would appear to the user, or leave resolution to reflect monitor capabilities independent of rotation?  Or, make this a configurable thing - let anyone using the software decide for themselves?

thx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 04:37:08 pm »
Question to everyone: how to display and handle "resolution" for verticals.  The mame.xml has width and height (pixel resolution) values independent of the monitors rotation (afaik).  Should I swap these for verticals, to reflect the resolution as it would appear to the user, or leave resolution to reflect monitor capabilities independent of rotation?  Or, make this a configurable thing - let anyone using the software decide for themselves?

thx

Resolution and monitor orientation are 2 different things.  The resolution is the resolution the game is driving the monitor and the monitor is the physical orientation of the monitor.  The monitor is still driven the same way no matter which way you physically orientate the monitor.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 04:50:37 pm »
OK, thanks.  I had implemented it to swap the width/height for verticals, to show the res as it would appear to player, but will revert - just display as-is in mame.xml.  Perhaps a tooltip or something so it's made clear....

Thank you.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 06:46:25 pm »
How hard would it be to add a back button, being that this isn't running in a browser?
It's nice to go back to the list of games after looking at one from the list.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 07:10:11 pm »
Back button is very high on the to-do list - especially with hyperlinks now implemented...

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 07:42:37 pm »
OK, thanks.  I had implemented it to swap the width/height for verticals, to show the res as it would appear to player, but will revert - just display as-is in mame.xml.  Perhaps a tooltip or something so it's made clear....

Thank you.

You were right.  Here is a link to a vertical game:

MAWS Wayback Machine

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 08:01:51 pm »
Hmm.  We don't need to reproduce MAWS verbatim - so, what is the preferred behaviour?  Or is it best to just make it configurable?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:54:56 pm by ids »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 09:17:09 pm »
My vote is for 320x240 to be the same regardless of which way the monitor is oriented.
Would be nice to hear more people chime in.

I just thought of another function that would be awesome if it could be added.
The ability to output a text file of the rom names in the list generated, preferably with one per line.
For my own purposes, I'd rather it just contain the rom names and nothing else.

Here is where I'm going with this.......
I'm setting up HLSL and want to use the same settings for all 320x240 games.
So I fire up MAWS2 and generate a list of all the games with that resolution, which is exported to a text file.
Now I can make a batch file that will copy and rename a generic .ini file with my preferred HLSL settings to all those rom names.
(then those go in MAME's ini folder and I have HLSL bliss for all games of that resolution)

Same thing could be done for copying roms to a different folder, or copying only CHDs of working games.

EDIT: ah, as it stands I can copy and paste the results table into a spreadsheet and then delete the columns I don't want.  :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:31:38 pm by BadMouth »

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 09:59:20 am »
Since this is evolving from a simple browser into an app I have a couple of suggestions:

• The ability to output filtered lists to appropriately formatted xml for popular frontends. See ROMLister for an example, it currently does this.
  • The ability to add, save, filter by and share a few custom meta data fields. With this ability one could put together a custom list of games and share them. For example, say I wanted to group all of the games I deemed super hero/comic book related together. With custom meta data I could go through and flag the applicable games, output the list and share with others. These could be non-existing pseudo genre's like my super hero example, top ten lists or anything else that you can't filter by based on the existing data.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 10:15:00 am »
Did some testing with the last version and it does everything I wanted (except for the name search not working).
 :applaud:

By copying and pasting the table into excel, deleting unwanted columns, then pasting that to word, I'm able to accomplish what I wanted in about 20 seconds.  Beats making lists by hand.

What is the deal with the rom search?  Is more of a PITA because you're searching for something that's not uniform and already in the database?
I think we also need a game name search field.

One other nitpicky thing.  The default window dimensions extend below my monitor viewing area on both my home and work computer. 
If I maximize the window all is good, but it would be nice if I could grab the lower corner of the window and resize it.  I can't because it's off the bottom of the screen.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 10:55:45 am »
  • The ability to output filtered lists to appropriately formatted xml for popular frontends. See ROMLister for an example, it currently does this.

I'm not sure that this would be as good as it sounds.
A big feature of Romlister is the ability to exclude things like mechanical games, fruit machine, or adult games.
That's a departure from how this app is works.  The option for a NOT argument would have to be added.

I'd like to see this app stick to being what MAWS was and what everything else falls short of; a database with simple to use and powerful search functions.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 11:41:41 am »
Did some testing with the last version and it does everything I wanted (except for the name search not working).
 :applaud:
Thanks, happy to hear it's already of some use.  I've still got a lot of work to do to make it a stable, user friendly app.  And then to make a web version afterwards.  But, even in its current state, I'm finding it fun to play with  ;D

Quote from: BadMouth
What is the deal with the rom search?  Is more of a PITA because you're searching for something that's not uniform and already in the database?
I think we also need a game name search field.

Yeah, sorry, it's work in progress.  There are a few search fields that need support added.  In this particular case, freeform text doesn't follow the pattern laid out by all those drop-lists, and needs special handling.  As there is no real database right now, I can't just paste together some SQL (or the like) to make it happen easily.  I'm also not sure what fields to search for the given text.

I'm also working on improved configurability (such as how to handle "resolution" and then update existing UI components if you change the setting, which fields to show in a search result table, etc).  And I'm starting to add images - I really miss those, need me my screen shots :)  Plus, I've roughed in the ability to run more flexible searches.  Instead of just "it must match all criteria below" I'm working on the ability to AND and OR anything together, with multiple selections.  So you could, for example, request "any game published after 1983, OR made by any of Atari, Namco, Konami OR more than two players with stereo sound".  Then, you can save the search criteria and give it a name.

Quote from: BadMouth
One other nitpicky thing.  The default window dimensions extend below my monitor viewing area on both my home and work computer. 
If I maximize the window all is good, but it would be nice if I could grab the lower corner of the window and resize it.  I can't because it's off the bottom of the screen.

Sorry, I guess I set default dimensions to make good use of the monitor I use (1920x1200) - easy fix - I'll make it more dynamic based on current screen res.  Please don't hesitate to pick nits - it's the only way to make it better.  Not to mention, I'm coding it on my mac, and haven't seen it run anywhere else, so if something looks odd, or behaves funny, I'd love to hear about it.  (It's Java, so yes, it will run on your linux box, your rack mount AIX box, and maybe even your cell phone)

...The ability to output a text file of the rom names in the list generated, preferably with one per line...

...The ability to output filtered lists ...

Sounds like various forms of output are wanted.  How about an "export" feature - pick the output format (csv, plain text, various front-end formats), and depending on target format, I can provide a means to select which fields will be written out (n/a for front-ends I assume).  That should cover a lot of bases I think.  I don't want to infringe upon the strengths of other great apps out there, and in the short term will focus primarily on the search aspects, which is, I think, what we are all missing in the absence of MAWS.  However, I can imagine there are things one may want to do with the results of a search/filter, and will build up my to-do list around that as well.

Quote from: 8BitMonk
...custom meta data fields...

Custom meta-data - great idea.  I can see providing a means to define these (give the field a name), include it in the deluxe search, etc.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 03:42:33 pm »
Good to know it may be possible to include metadata and output lists. Though it's outside your initial scope of just replacing MAWS I think it could really set this apart and make it more useful than any existing options.

For reference you may want also take a look at:
Romlister: http://www.waste.org/~winkles/ROMLister/
IV Play - Mame browser/launcher but can also search and display much of the info from the mame xml data for each rom http://www.mameui.info/
Don's Hyperspin Tools - Good list sorting, management, output app. http://honerbrink.com/?page_id=14

Romlister already can sort and output but it's limited criteria, not very user friendly or robust filtering especially when compared to MAWS. IV Play is primarily a UI browser, no output but you can see and search a lot of the mame criteria. Don's is geared towards one frontend and doesn't have as robust of filtering, game information etc. None have the ability for custom metadata creation, filtering, sharing.

I'd be happy to help test, I'm a fellow Mac user. I could help with UI skinning as well just PM me.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2013, 10:27:30 am »
You might also want to check out my ControlsDat application.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2013, 11:48:28 am »
Another little oddball request while I'm thinking about it:

The Search button is the same color and only slightly larger than the drop down menus just above it.
I find myself accidentally clicking the drop-down box above it sometimes when I mean to click search.
From a stupid end-user™ point of view, it would be nice if the search button were a different color.

EDIT: Looking at it again, I don't think it's so much that it looks like the drop down menu, it's that it's not very tall and when the window is maximized, it's right up against the start menu and quicklaunch icons in windows, which I'm trying not to accidentally hit.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:43:17 pm by BadMouth »

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2013, 03:43:31 pm »
Not sure ids knew the can of worms he was opening.  ;D

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2013, 04:02:23 pm »
Bring it on!  ;D

I've fixed the search button appearance, took a quick look at ControlsDat, ROMLister, etc, stole colors.ini from LEDBlinky, making good headway on my previously posted list of to-do's, etc

If only I had more time, I'd get more done.  I can see how a web version would be good - save everyone the hassle of locating and downloaded all those files.   Well, all in due time....

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2013, 07:51:30 pm »
As the author of romlister, I welcome my new list generating and filtering sorting overlord!
RL is open source- if there is anything in there that can be of assistance, please take it and run with it.  I don't mind a bit.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2013, 08:44:11 pm »
Thanks NOP - very kind.  I'm not looking to replace your app or any other - well, except MAWS.  Even that is going to take a fair bit of work.

:cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2013, 10:31:29 pm »
More nitpicking  :angel:

When clicking on a game, it doesn't always take me to the top of the game info screen. Sometimes the game info screen is already scrolled halfway down.
It seems to be specific to certain games.  Does it every time and is scrolled down the same amount every time.  Might have to do with the amount of info in one of the fields on the game screen.  examples: Beatmania 7th Mix, Mahjong Gal

A "clear all" or reset button would be nice.
I found myself accidentally leaving info in some fields when doing a new search and it's a PITA to scroll back up to "any" for each one separately.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2013, 10:41:51 pm »
I noticed the scrolling problem but didn't realize it was consistent for some games - thanks, that will help with troubleshooting

Reset is now on the to-do list.  I was also thinking of adding some visual indicator (colour or something) to highlight fields that have a selection.

I just added another feature: hold control before clicking one of those "hyperlink" fields, and it adds it to the search criteria on the left, so you can build up the filtering as you click through. (added after last build I sent you, so you dont have it right now).

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2013, 06:13:47 am »
stole colors.ini from LEDBlinky

I created colors.ini so feel free to use it ;)

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2013, 09:49:36 am »
Thanks Headkaze!  I have no idea how to integrate it, but it seems to fit with the idea of inhaling as much info as possible.

At some point soon I'll find a place to host downloads of the app.  It's very early and quite rough and needs you to download all the dat's and info's, and soon, images as well.  But, it's a start.  And, when I'm less ashamed of the code, I'll open source it.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »
Buttons look great.  Search is working perfect.
As far as UI and core functionality, I can't think of anything else to criticize.

Anything else I can think of at the moment is already in the pipeline:
-windowed mode adjusts to monitor resolution
-pretty pictures to go with the info
-ability to select multiple items from one drop-down menu

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2013, 03:47:57 pm »
I though I fixed screen size, hmmm....I'll take another look

it supports snap.zip right now, so if you drop that in the common dir, you'll get snaps.
It also supports the MAMU icons.zip and the (not sure who to credit) icons.0143.zip I found somewhere.  Again, drop those in common dir.
In all cases it will load parent image if there isn't one associated directly to the clone

I've started adding tooltips to things - hover over something to see what it does

Got all search criteria working, finally

When you pick something from the search result list and jump into the detail screen, the search result and sort order is remembered.  You can use the next/prev btns (right side of toolbar) to scroll through the details screens based on those search results. History will track all of this, allowing you to go back/fwd.  As mentioned earlier, you can also ctl-click a "hyperlink" to add it to the search criteria, so you can build up queries by clicking thru things.

multi-select is likely the next thing to get done - just fixing up a few issues first

latest screenshot attached

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2013, 04:45:00 pm »
fwiw, configurability in place...to some extent - screensnaps attached

I think it's reached a point of general usability - with some performance and other caveats relevant to early access software.  It takes a bit of work to setup, and some patience during start-up as it loads all the xml/ini/dat files.  Most recent build is at http://ids.ca/mame/maws2.zip.

If you download it, please post comments, bugs, etc here.  It'll help motivate me to keep going.

thx

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2013, 08:14:15 pm »
Awesome. I'll check if out this weekend and post any findings. Thanks!  :cheers:

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2013, 09:30:49 pm »
Thanks opt2not - eager for any form of feedback

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2013, 08:47:39 am »
I though I fixed screen size, hmmm....I'll take another look

It just dawned on me what the issue is.
window is the same height as the screen, but the search and reset buttons are behind the windows taskbar.
With windows 7 if you try to move the window up past the top of the screen to be able to grab the bottom corner, windows maximizes it.
I was able to grab it at the top and resize it, but if it were say 5% shorter it would be useable when it opens.

CHD Required and Controls tabs don't have any options other than "any'
I could have sworn they were working in the first version.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 09:49:22 am by BadMouth »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2013, 11:00:27 am »
New version uploaded to the the same URL

Includes support for newest mame.xml (<port...<analog...), as well as the beginning of multiple select

I had just noticed last night that  "contols" search was not wired in.  The CHD one appears to be coded, so that's a surprise.  I'll fix those next.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2013, 03:26:49 pm »
Fixed CHD search and a few other things - available at same url

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2013, 05:46:58 pm »
Fixed search for Control types and a few other things - updated at same URL

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2013, 06:02:56 pm »
Hey IDS

I went back through the thread and couldn't find the link to what you've been working on. Is it a website or a desktop app?

The screenshots look great. Nice job!  :applaud:

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2013, 06:18:18 pm »
Yeah, sorry, it's hard to spot:

Most recent build is at http://ids.ca/mame/maws2.zip.

I've just fixed an annoying bug related to scrolling detail screens - new build to be posted in 3...2....

*Edit: ...1..0... posted
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:20:19 pm by ids »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2013, 06:37:06 pm »
Bah, I can't test it. I pulled out my old macbook pro that I was hanging onto for a arcade build, but it turns out the screen is dead and not booting up.  Sorry man.
I'll wait for the windows build ;)

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2013, 06:39:45 pm »
It's Java, will run anywhere.  I've run it briefly on Windoze myself.
For the Linux fans out there, it should run on Linux too.  However, since it is currently a pig, it may not fare well on an r-pi or other small devices.  Maybe one day.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2013, 06:40:20 pm »
ahhhhh, ok I'm an idiot. :lol

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2013, 08:12:31 pm »
Ok, sorry for that mental brain-lapse.

I was able to get it installed, with all the additional files put into the right directory. It loaded up, no problems!  :applaud:
Let me say, great job ids, its really awesome to have maws back looking like it's original form! I appreciate your hard work so far.

Here are a few things I've found using it, some UI stuff, and a few wish-list items. I'll continue to use it and submit feedback:

ISSUE/BUGS:
Version: 1.0?  pre-alpha - 11/10/2013

• Issue: Scrolling speed with mouse-scroll wheel is not taking OS's mouse settings into account. Too slow.
    Expected: Should use the speed setting of the OS's mouse (x lines per scroll setting)
    How-to repro:
    1. Open maws2 application
    2. place mouse cursor in either the search side, or details side (when scroll bars are present)
    3. use mouse scroll wheel
    4. scrolling shows to be slow, looks like a 1-line at a time speed

• Issue: history.dat doesn't seem to be used/working
    Expected: There is a bunch of additional information history.dat has. this info should show up for each rom under the "History" header in the details page
    How-to repro:
    1. Place history.dat in root directory of application
    2. Open maws2 application
    3. search for any game, and bring up it's details page
    4. scroll down the details page till you see the History header
    5. notice no information for any game is showing up in the History section

• Issue: initial program loading/splash screen needed. Hard to tell if it's loading up or not.
    Expected: Having a loading or splash-screen screen show up (helps users not to wonder if it's running or not)
    How-to repro:
    1. Open maws2 application
    2. Wait and notice no loading info shows up

WISH LIST:
1. Mouse button usage, forward and back buttons - it would be nice to have the ability to use your mouse buttons for traversing forward and back in your history
2. Ability to hit Enter when your cursor is in the text fields, in the search screen to initiate search
3. Tab-based details pages. Ability to open new tabs when viewing game details
4. Select-able text in the details pages, for copy and paste
5. Hyperlinks to games listed under "recommended games" in the info details (this one might be tougher)

Hope you don't take offense by this, just wanted to put my 2 cents in, since I've been fairly quiet so far with the contribution of info.
I realize you're still plugging away, so I figured I'd get these things out in the open and see what you think.

:cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2013, 09:34:58 pm »
Mind you, some of these point would be applicable if it were a standalone application, but if the end goal is to be browser-based then those points aren't very valid.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2013, 10:38:16 pm »
opt2not, thanks for all the great ideas and the details.  Truly appreciated.  Knowing what others like/dislike/want, etc helps focus my efforts.

As you can see, I've slacked a lot on a number of things, such as splash screen, general look and feel, usability and such.  This was all in order to get some basic functionality going - get a "maws" as quick as possible.  So, the niceties suffer at first.

Splash screen is a nice to have which I've been thinking about, so that's on the to-do list.  Other things you mention are now on the list as well, eg mouse fwd/back, etc.

I'll look into the scroll wheel speed thing as well.  I've seen such issues in the past, but don't recall the resolution.

History.dat should work.  Are there any error messages in the cmd window?  I don't pull info from parents for this one, and some clones are without entries, could that be the issue?

Tabbed detail screens could be cool.  I'll have to think of a good way to make that work - what trigger to open one, how it impacts history, etc.

Selectable text - done.  It'll be available in the next build.

Hyperlinking games in info - I was planning to format and pretty this stuff up, so this fits very well.  I already have some formatting code in another project, just gotta get off my lazy ass and paste it in :)

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:49:02 pm by ids »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2013, 11:06:01 pm »
Splash screen is a nice to have which I've been thinking about, so that's on the to-do list.  Other things you mention are now on the list as well, eg mouse fwd/back, etc.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be anythings special. I know you're still working on a name for this thing, but just an image with text would do for now.
As for a name, how about MAWS'er?  I am actually kinda stumped for names...

History.dat should work.  Are there any error messages in the cmd window?  I don't pull info from parents for this one, and some clones are without entries, could that be the issue?
Just double checked my dat file, and it looks I had a really old version. So that's why a lot of them weren't showing up. Got a newer version and it shows up now. FIXED! :)

Tabbed detail screens could be cool.  I'll have to think of a good way to make that work - what trigger to open one, how it impacts history, etc.
Perhaps treating each tab as it's own, with it's own history is fine. Most browsers do that for short-term history on each tab.
As for initiating it...middle-mouse button?  or perhaps right-click on the item --> open in new tab? 
 :dunno

Selectable text - done.  It'll be available in the next build.

Hyperlinking games in info - I was planning to format and pretty this stuff up, so this fits very well.  I already have some formatting code in another project, just gotta get off my lazy ass and paste it in :)

Thanks
No, thank YOUUUUUU!  :cheers:

edit: btw, I get a bunch of error spew when running in the cmd prompt:
Code: [Select]
No such attribute 'dispose' on ca.ids.mame.model.Rom
While mapping XML attributes into Java: Cannot find a property in class ca.ids.m
ame.model.Rom for attribute 'dispose'.  This attribute will be ignored.
Any ideas?

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2013, 11:39:28 pm »
As to dat's and ini's and all that, I've only tested with recent files, so there could be problems with older ones - I don't know what they'd look like, so I can't build in compatibility, etc.

I do recognize the XML error - or rather its cause.  Somewhere in your mame.xml is a <rom...> entity that has the attribute "dispose".  This attribute is unknown to me, and therefore I've got nowhere to put it.  The XML parsing library is expressing it's unhappiness with this :)  As the message says, the attribute will be ignored, so the app should work just fine.  I've tried mame 147 and 151 xml's without seeing this error.  Perhaps you've got an older version or something?

If you see any other kinds of errors, please let me know.  If I should be supporting older versions of files, I can do so easily enough, I'd just need a sample, or some info on the format, or something.

Longer term, I'd prefer to shove all that data in a database, then app startup will take no time at all.  I tried "java serialization" but found the time to de-serialize was not significantly different from parsing the xml/dat/ini files - surprisingly.

Thanks  :cheers:

RoyalScam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2018, 05:18:41 pm
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2013, 10:36:29 am »
ids Thank You so much!

I managed to get this running even though I haven't played with java from a command line for a very long time.  Hardest part for me was getting my PATH set up correctly, it's been waaaayy too long, brain cells die, or I've just become lazy.  Like you mentioned, startup took a bit of waiting, but once it was up and running it went very well.  I don't quite understand the buttons down the left side of the screen.  That is, I get the down arrow expands the menu options, so that you might select more than one  ie. trackball AND Joystick.  But I haven't figured out what the wiFi- three bars thingy next to it does.  At any rate, this does work like MAWS, and I especially like the current title bar Maws2 the resurrection, although I would have preferred "MAWS 2 Electric Bugaloo", that's just me.  Also, and perhaps my memory is faded, I thought there was a way to search either 4 way or 8 way joysticks.  I'm often wrong.  You've done so much, and I hate to ask, but I'm going to ;) I've always wanted a way to print out or at least copy my search results so that I could  create a gamelist for adding games to my cab or front end. If it's not easily done, no worries, having MAWS back is more than enough!
Thank You Again!

Scam

BTW Win7 Home Premium 64 bit, Athlon 64 x2 4400+ 2.31 Ghz 4.0 GB

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2013, 11:26:50 am »
Please do ask!  How else can I know what people want?

Ah yes, the wifi bars.  Thats for an upcoming feature.  Going to add some kinda stats or bar graph thing.

Not sure what you would have needed to do with your PATH.  Typically (I think) a Java install should have your environment all set up.  Ah well, it works and thats the important thing.  For me, it takes about 38-39s to start, most of which is parsing the mame.xml.  The cheat.7z file is most of the rest.

Still looking for a name for the app, so if Electric Bugaloo gets enough support... :)

I will add 4/8 way searching and that sort of thing

Printing is easy to do as well.  And as mentioned earlier, you can select stuff from a table, then copy-paste it elsewhere.  I've also got planned various "export" options (roughed in on the File menu).  I do have Hyperspin export now.  If you provide details on the file format for your front end, I can add that too.  If anyone wants a simple CVS export or something, just let me know what fields you want to see.

Thanks

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2013, 02:48:54 pm »
Great work, very functional for a pre-beta. I thought I'd include the comments I emailed here to keep track of all suggestions.

• The filters that are expandable expand but don't collapse
  • When filters that are expandable are expanded there is no default selection. You have to manually make a selection.
  • The only Control type I'm seeing is 'Any' so you can't filter by controls
  • The Reset button only clears the top text fields, not the dropdown selectors.
  • Hitting Return on the keyboard should initiate a search rather than having to hit the button at bottom.
  • Already mentioned - On some roms when you double-click them to view detail info the detail screen jumps to the bottom which is disorienting. I think this happens on roms with long descriptions or lots of info.
  • I like the setting to select the columns that are displayed but the selection is limited, doesn't include all filters. Also when you change this setting the list doesn't refresh automatically, you have to hit Search again or do another search.
  • There are several hundred roms I see at the top of the list that have almost no information, are these from the mame xml? tecomcup, tecmocupu, tecmocups are examples.
  • I didn't try images, not familiar with that archive type.
  • It would be nice to have alternate row shading (light gray), makes viewing easier and is typical for large list views.
  • I remember in maws a feature was that you could, through one of the filters, change the mame version of the data you were looking at. I don't find this terribly useful but if you want to fully replicate maws this is something I see missing.
  • For better filtering everything should be able to have a multiple selection (even though maws didn't do this). Ie. for driver status you can only filter by Good, Imperfect or Preliminary and not a combo.
  • I notice with the expandable fields they are multi-selectable with a shift or command-click which is cool. May not be noticeable at first, should eventually be highlighted somehow.
  • For browsing roms a hierachical listing with the clones indented and a different color would be visually useful.
  • Looking at the way the pre-beta is setup and thinking about the custom meta data option I had suggested it struck me an easier way to do it may just be to allow the user to manually flag selections in list view with colors and then sort by them. That way one could go through, select 20 games and 'flag' them, sort them and output only the flagged ones. You could then share the output list with friends or the community. Or maybe there would be a way to share the setting and give it to another user with the app to import and see what was flagged?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:56:32 pm by 8BitMonk »

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 06:51:59 pm »
For naming info, according to this wiki http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAWS_(site_web) MAWS stood for Mame A Congregation Web Site. Not sure you'd want to stick with the MAWS name other than it's recognizable. May be easier to name once you know what the end product will be.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2013, 08:08:19 pm »
8bit, thanks for putting that together, much appreciated

To-do list updated

Some of the issues you mention should be resolved.  It's hard to keep track of what works for me, vs what I've posted, but I'd still recommend downloading the latest build.

I've been wondering if we've threadjacked enough, but...may as well keep going at this point

hoping to get another build out later today to address some of the to-do list

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2013, 03:13:09 pm »
Finally had a chance to try this out and even in it's current stage, it's awesome.

Here are a couple notes:
1. The default resolution doesn't work out well, but it's more of a pain because the search button and reset button are on the bottom and you can't scroll down to see them.  Maybe move them above the search fields?
2. It would be nice to press enter instead of having to hit the search button
3. It appears that snaps only work if they are jpg.  I think most are png files.
4. It would be nice to support multiple snaps.  ie Snapshots, Cabinets, Control Panel, Flyers, Manuals, Marquees and PCB.  If you go here they have all of those in separate packages.  Snapshots are also broken down into different categories like snaps of the Title screen, Snaps of Gameplay, Snaps of Bosses, Snaps of Game Over, etc.  It doesn't have to display all of them at once.
5. Could you add driver to the search result field?
6. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but some Atari games use one or more "Pokey" chips in the Hardware.  Centipede, 720, Star Wars, etc.  Why is it being shown as "POKEYN" instead of "Pokey"?
7. In the hardware part, Can you round up?  ie instead of the CPU Speed reporting 1502.0 Khz report it as 1.502 MHz

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2013, 04:57:40 pm »
2600 - thanks for the list.  Seems the "hit enter" is a popular item - I'll bump that to the top of the list (after current w.i.p.s)

iirc there is no default resolution, its using "layout managers", so the screen size is (should be) determined by the window content and monitor res.  The search and reset buttons should not require scrolling.  Could you provide a screen shot?  Are they being hidden behind the windoze bar thing at the bottom?

Supported image types from snap.zip, icons.zip and icons.0143.zip are: png, ico, gif
If you're seeing jpg's I'd be surprised, and I scan only for names ending in these extensions.  I can add jpg quite easily though.  If you know of examples where a png file is in the zip file but not showing, please provide some details, so I can debug/fix.

Thanks again - to-do list updated!

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2013, 05:27:31 pm »
2600 - where are you seeing "POKEYN"?  Or, is that a typo, and your comment is with respect to it being all caps?  I'm just showing what's in the mame.xml file.  I can convert to "Pokey" if that's what people want, but the use of POKEY seems consistent in the mame.xml file.

thx

• Offline Offline
MAWS source code available
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2013, 05:40:29 pm »
I'll get you some details and pics in the morning.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:20:36 pm by 2600 »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2013, 03:31:48 pm »
2600 - thanks for the list.  Seems the "hit enter" is a popular item - I'll bump that to the top of the list (after current w.i.p.s)

iirc there is no default resolution, its using "layout managers", so the screen size is (should be) determined by the window content and monitor res.  The search and reset buttons should not require scrolling.  Could you provide a screen shot?  Are they being hidden behind the windoze bar thing at the bottom?

Supported image types from snap.zip, icons.zip and icons.0143.zip are: png, ico, gif
If you're seeing jpg's I'd be surprised, and I scan only for names ending in these extensions.  I can add jpg quite easily though.  If you know of examples where a png file is in the zip file but not showing, please provide some details, so I can debug/fix.

Thanks again - to-do list updated!

1. For the search and reset button, they are hidden behind the windoze bar on the bottom.  When I was referring to the scrolling I meant you can scroll in the results window and you can scroll in the search window, but the window with the search and reset button are fixed to the bottom left so that they are always hidden behind the bar.  If the search and reset were locate somewhere up top I would still not be able to see the stuff at the bottom, but I would at least be able to use it without having to resize it.  Does that make sense?

2. For the images, I tested this again on 2 PC's and it now seems to be working after I rezipped the archive.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2013, 03:47:39 pm »
1.  OK, so how about this.  Since I have a big and mostly empty toolbar, I can put search/reset up there.  I'll look into sizing the window to not overlap that bar...at some point.  To-do list is not small right now :)
2. Weird.  Glad to hear it is working now.  Curious about the problem, but as long as its working....

thx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2013, 04:14:46 pm »
2600 - where are you seeing "POKEYN"?  Or, is that a typo, and your comment is with respect to it being all caps?  I'm just showing what's in the mame.xml file.  I can convert to "Pokey" if that's what people want, but the use of POKEY seems consistent in the mame.xml file.

thx

I found that the POKEYN thing was happening in a mame .146 xml.  Mame .151 doesn't seem to have it listed as POKEYN in the XML, but I can't get your app to load with a .151 xml atm.  I may try to regenerate the xml.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2013, 04:16:26 pm »
1.  OK, so how about this.  Since I have a big and mostly empty toolbar, I can put search/reset up there.  I'll look into sizing the window to not overlap that bar...at some point.  To-do list is not small right now :)

I think that would help and solve the immediate problem as long as it doesn't interfere with anything else you want on the toolbar.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2013, 04:30:20 pm »
Latest version should work with 151 - that's what I am using right now (ie. pls make sure you have the latest build).  If there is a problem loading the mame.xml, you should see some error messages on the console.  If so, please paste here so I can debug.

...anything else you want on the toolbar.

I have no particular wants - just trying to deliver what people are asking for - so there is a lot of unused space on the toolbar :)

thx

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2013, 01:24:41 am »
minor update
- tables now have alternating row colours
- mameinfo and history are now formatted, with clickable hyperlinks, and you can copy/paste out of them.  The formatting was originally designed to handle only history, so may look silly applied to mameinfo - one more thing on the to-do list.  Would love feedback on how best to format these things.

There may be other stuff, i forget

I don't do much testing, so you may want to back up your current copy of the app before replacing it with the latest, just in case.

available at the same URL

thx

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
Re: MAWS source code available UPDATE: Now resurrected in java
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2013, 10:21:28 am »
Updated the first post in this thread with your download link so it's easier to find.  :cheers:

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2013, 11:18:11 am »
Many thanks BadMouth  :cheers:

First attempt to consolidate the to-do list, not in any particular order, mostly cut-n-paste from past posts:
  • Hit enter to trigger search
  • move search/reset to toolbar
  • Splash Screen
  • Improve formatting of mameinfo and history
  • Better diagnostics when things go wrong
  • Start up without any files, so user can go to config dialog and specify where they are
  • Provide URL's to source files (dat's, ini's, images, etc).  Add a "click to download"?
  • Provide a "launch" button to run currently viewed game in mame (and mess?)
  • Stats/graphs
  • Print
  • More export options
  • Search eg 4/8 way joystick
  • fix scrolling speed w/ mouse wheel
  • use colors.ini?
  • custom meta-data
  • a NOT option on search (eg exclude Fruit Machines, Mature, etc)
  • Enable mouse forward and back buttons for traversing history
  • Tab-based details pages. Ability to open new tabs when viewing game details
  • Hyperlinks to games listed under "recommended games" in the info details
  • Improve default resolution for windoze
  • It would be nice to support multiple snaps.  ie Snapshots, Cabinets, Control Panel, Flyers, Manuals, Marquees and PCB.  If you go here they have all of those in separate packages.  Snapshots are also broken down into different categories like snaps of the Title screen, Snaps of Gameplay, Snaps of Bosses, Snaps of Game Over, etc.  It doesn't have to display all of them at once.
  • Add more options (eg driver) to the search result options (config dialog).  When you change this setting the list should refresh automatically.
  • Fix rounding of values:  ie instead of the CPU Speed reporting 1502.0 Khz report it as 1.502 MHz
  • Collapsible filters
  • When filters that are expandable are expanded there is no default selection. You have to manually make a selection.
  • There are several hundred roms I see at the top of the list that have almost no information, are these from the mame xml? tecomcup, tecmocupu, tecmocups are examples.
  • I remember in maws a feature was that you could, through one of the filters, change the mame version of the data you were looking at. I don't find this terribly useful but if you want to fully replicate maws this is something I see missing.
  • Expandable fields are multi-selectable with a shift or command-click - should provide a way to communicate this to users.
  • For browsing roms a hierachical listing with the clones indented and a different color would be visually useful.
  • Allow the user to manually flag selections in list view, sort them, export/import list, custom meta-data assignment, etc
  • The ability to output filtered lists to appropriately formatted xml for popular frontends.

Please let me know if I've missed something (bug or feature or other).  Please also get the latest build as changes have been frequent and a number of previously reported issues and feature requests have been implemented.  And don't hesitate to ask for something!

Thanks everyone!

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2013, 04:04:23 pm »
Updated version available, details described inline below:

• Hit enter to trigger search - DONE
  • move search/reset to toolbar - Copied, not moved; Done
  • Splash Screen
  • Improve formatting of mameinfo and history - very minor changes for now
  • Better diagnostics when things go wrong
  • Start up without any files, so user can go to config dialog and specify where they are
  • Provide URL's to source files (dat's, ini's, images, etc).  Add a "click to download"?
  • Provide a "launch" button to run currently viewed game in mame (and mess?)
  • Stats/graphs
  • Print
  • More export options
  • Search eg 4/8 way joystick
  • fix scrolling speed w/ mouse wheel
  • use colors.ini?
  • custom meta-data
  • a NOT option on search (eg exclude Fruit Machines, Mature, etc)
  • Enable mouse forward and back buttons for traversing history
  • Tab-based details pages. Ability to open new tabs when viewing game details
  • Hyperlinks to games listed under "recommended games" in the info details - First Draft, some of the names do not match exactly
  • Improve default resolution for windoze
  • It would be nice to support multiple snaps.  ie Snapshots, Cabinets, Control Panel, Flyers, Manuals, Marquees and PCB.  If you go here they have all of those in separate packages.  Snapshots are also broken down into different categories like snaps of the Title screen, Snaps of Gameplay, Snaps of Bosses, Snaps of Game Over, etc.  It doesn't have to display all of them at once.
  • Add more options (eg driver) to the search result options (config dialog).  When you change this setting the list should refresh automatically. - Added Driver
  • Fix rounding of values:  ie instead of the CPU Speed reporting 1502.0 Khz report it as 1.502 MHz - Fixed
  • Collapsible filters
  • When filters that are expandable are expanded there is no default selection. You have to manually make a selection. - Fixed - maintains original selection (or "Any")
  • Expandable fields are multi-selectable with a shift or command-click - should provide a way to communicate this to users. - Added Tooltip
  • Allow the user to manually flag selections in list view, sort them, export/import list, custom meta-data assignment, etc
  • The ability to output filtered lists to appropriately formatted xml for popular frontends.

Please let me know if I've missed something (bug or feature or other).  Please also get the latest build as changes have been frequent and a number of previously reported issues and feature requests have been implemented.  And don't hesitate to ask for something!

Thanks everyone!

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:22 pm »
Another update, same url

Done
  • Splash Screen - Added my logo for now, will put something better in once someone decides on a name for this
  • Hyperlinks to games listed under "recommended games" in the info details - Much better now - DONE
  • Add more options (eg driver) to the search result options (config dialog).  When you change this setting the list should refresh automatically. - Added More - calling this done until someone asks for more

RoyalScam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2013, 04:39:37 am »
Thanks Again ids!

RoyalScam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2013, 04:49:49 am »
Thanks Again ids!
 I'm really enjoying this and it seems everyone else is too. I'm posting , not as a complaint, just for your own information.  I just wanted to say that it takes 1 min 39 seconds for the program to start.  Now knowing I had my own problems getting my path statement right and getting the -Xmx and -Xms parameters typed in correctly, I've probably borked something else in my system. Like I said earlier, I've been away from the command line for far too long.  That and It seems I can no longer type and think at the same time. Anyway, I wish I had more to offer in performance and bug reporting, but as far as I'm concerned, the program does what I need, and I thank you for that.  As for a name, It's yours now.  I realize that people will always associated this with MAWS, but having it on our own systems and maintained by our own romsets this is much better.  Name it however you want, and I like the splash.

My specs;
Win7 Home Premium 64 bit, Athlon 64 x2 4400+ 2.31 Ghz 4.0 GB

Hope some of this helps,

Regards,
Scam

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
RE: MAWS source code available UPDATE: Now resurrected in java
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2013, 07:29:10 am »
MAWLER

BAWLS

BAJA (bad ass Java aggregater)

MOJO

sent from my phone while driving

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2020, 03:08:56 pm
  • The cheap@ss gamer
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2013, 08:44:58 am »
I like Baja! :D

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

Doing arcades, the cheap@ss way!
First Project : ttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151071.0.html
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2013, 10:03:33 am »
... it takes 1 min 39 seconds for the program to start...

:o

That's more than a minute above my start-up time.  Wow.  Sorry, I had no idea it was that bad for some people.  In my mind, that makes it pretty much unusable.  I'll move it on to a database asap.  I have a lot of faith in the XML parsing library I am using, so I think there is little else to be done about performance.

Thanks for letting me know

I think if we called it BAWLS, a lot of people would deny playing with it  ;)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2013, 10:10:37 am »

:o

That's more than a minute above my start-up time.  Wow.  Sorry, I had no idea it was that bad for some people.  In my mind, that makes it pretty much unusable.  I'll move it on to a database asap.  I have a lot of faith in the XML parsing library I am using, so I think there is little else to be done about performance.

Thanks for letting me know

I think if we called it BAWLS, a lot of people would deny playing with it  ;)

Haven't tried the two most recent incarnations, but my startup time was nowhere near that on either my laptop (i7, 3.? Ghz) or my work computer (i5 3.2 Ghz).  Just tested the work computer and it's more like ids time 30-40 seconds.
Startup time is a small price to pay IMO.

EDIT: I'm not using it with pics yet, although I don't think that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:12:53 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2013, 10:18:53 am »
Just tested the current version on my work computer.  44 seconds to load.

For the name, I like MAWLER and think the logo should incorporate a zombie since you're bringing MAWS back from the dead.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2013, 10:52:41 am »
Thanks BadMouth.  44s is a long wait for an app to start, imho

Royal - if you look at the console, you'll see the time to read each of the files.  Based on a 1:39 total, I'd guess mame.xml will come in around the 1:30 mark.

fwiw, images are only loaded when a detail screen comes up, and even then, the zip file(s) is scanned for the appropriate image, which is loaded, and the zip file is closed.  Should be quick and use minimal memory.

Does MAWLER stand for anything?  Fwiw, if I can get a database under this thing, we'd probably not need a splash screen anymore.  However, if someone feels like doing the artwork, I'd put it in - splash screen and the "About" dialog (there is no "about" right now, but I'd add one).  Hmm, a MAWS zombie....interesting...

thx

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2013, 11:09:23 am »
Just tried on a Core 2 duo E8400 3GHz 4GB RAM Win XP
>1min
Much uglier than on my mac as well

I've got some work to do....

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2013, 11:17:31 am »
Does MAWLER stand for anything?

Nah, not yet anyway  :lol.  Just trying to shoehorn MAWS into something else.
I'll think up some more ideas while pretending to work.

RoyalScam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2013, 01:32:55 pm »

Wow.  Sorry, I had no idea it was that bad for some people.  In my mind, that makes it pretty much unusable. 

The long startup really doesn't bother me, I just posted because I thought you'd like to know. It isn't a deal breaker by any means.

Here's the console view you asked for , and frankly, I'm sure the majority of the problem rests with me. Hope it helps!

Regards
Scam

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2013, 03:32:37 pm »
That really sucks - 92s to load mame.xml
duno where you find the patience
it's work in progress....

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2013, 02:59:48 pm »
Great work on the updates ids, it's progressing nicely!   :applaud:

Here's some more feedback for you:

• UI: When you hit 'reset' icon it should collapse the expanded dropdowns
  • QUESTION: What is the little bar graph icon to the right of the arrow it doesn't seem to do anything
  • NEW IDEA: Checkbox Exclusions (see screenshot): Checkbox exclusion buttons - One of the users primary goals is to weed crap out of their mame list so there should be an easier way to exclude a common 'junk'. There are dropdowns for a couple now (ie. mahjong, adult) but I think having all the common ones listed with checkbox buttons would work better. For instance now if I wanted to exclude mahjong games, adult games, bios, playchoice, quiz, pinball (common crap) I'd have to do multiple pulldowns and not all of them are even available. An area with checkbox tick boxes would be ideal.
  • NEW IDEA: Custom Filters (see screenshot): Though MAWS listed a ton of filter options on the left for specified categories I always thought this was inefficient. I'm not sure about other users but I typically (other than exclusions) only need to filter by a handful of categories. Why not let the user select the category/subcategory on their own? This saves space in the leftnav, allows room for the excusions, gives the use more control, is more intuitive for them and less overwhelming. Ideally in a web environment (maybe it can be done with java?) a user could add/remove filters as they wish
  • MINOR FEATURE ADD (see screenshot): A 'List All' button which basically just resets all fields and automatically does a new search.

I like the MAWLER name and did up some splash screens. I ran with the resurrection theme and included a zombie but there are also plain ones with just stylized text if the zombie isn't to taste. MAWLER would be a nod to MAWS and the LW in it could be for 'List Wranger'? Mame List Wrangler? A stretch maybe but most of the letters are there anyway.  ;D  Happy to make any changes to color, name, etc. just shoot me some feedback.

Thanks again for all the work on this, good job. :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:42:41 pm by 8BitMonk »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2013, 01:17:46 am »
Great artwork 8bitmonk!
And thanks for the search/filter ideas - I'll be working something like that in asap.

The graph icon is for a feature I've yet to implement - I wanted to show some kinda stats or bar graph of how many games for each type in the list, or something

RoyalScam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2013, 10:11:47 am »
Howdy!
     Just to let everyone know, something that is more than likely common knowledge.  I had asked in a previous post for a way to print or at least copy the returned search information so that I might use it for creating gamelists or whatever I needed the information for.  Using Win7, I had tried right clicking the search window, and because no little menu popped up with copy...paste..delete and so forth, I just moved on figuring I couldn't do anything here.  Then I remembered CTRL-A (select all) and CTRL C (copy). Even though there's no indication, the selected info is, of course, copied to the clipboard and easily pasted to whatever app you want.  I used OpenOffice Spreadsheet. After some global formatting to clean up the justification and whitespace I could use any part of the data any way I wanted.  So for all of you shouting at the screen saying "DUMMY!" you're right.  I work from 9pm until 7am and type this stuff in the mornings after work, so I'm not the most coherent person. I hope this helps anyone else who may not have picked up on this.

And again really the long start-up doesn't bother me in the least.  You should know, I also regularly use a Commodore 64 (not an emulator) and something that loads in a minute and a half is lightning fast!

Thanks Again!
Scam

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2013, 10:21:03 am »
If this thing progresses into exporting xml files that have categories excluded, the exported xml could be used to boost startup time.

I went through a series of rounds with romlister and manual editing to get an xml file that didn't include any gambling, mechanical, adult, mahjong, etc.
I should have time this evening to see how much faster that one loads.  IIRC it took the number of entries down to somewhere between 8,000 and 9,000 entries.  There are probably more damn fruit machines in the standard mame.xml than arcade games.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2013, 12:17:41 pm »
Hmmm, that is a very interesting idea BadMouth.  I'm sure I could implement a way to remove the unwanted stuff to speed up start time.  That'd be a lot less work than putting a database under it.

Royal - I have implemented the CSV export, and will post an update soon.  You can also pick which fields to export, to suit your needs.  Still using a real C64?  Man I miss those days....Not so much the 2min load times, but....

imho, in this day and age, people should not have to wait for computers - they got fast a few years ago.  That, and I have no patience.  So, I will still stick a database in there....when I find the time...

Right now, however, I wanted to use it to create a list of games for my micro-centipede build: verticals, trackball, that sort of thing.  AND to maybe copy those roms somewhere handy.  So that might be the next feature: rom copy/prune.  Sorry if I'm overlapping with other apps here.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2013, 02:08:40 pm »
I notice in ids app it shows around 59K total records whereas in RomLister it only shows around 28K when you hit 'List all ROMS'. I also notice a bunch of 'blank' listings. ie. there is a game set name with little or no other info in them, they don't seem like legit listings. If you filter it to only parents and good or imperfect games it doesn't really matter anyway but I'm sure it adds to the launch time.

What is the official total count for a current set of Mame roms? I thought it was closer to 20-30K.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2013, 02:35:46 pm »
I think a lot of those get picked up from history.dat - console games and whatever else is in there.  I should probably not load them, but was wary about discarding info.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2013, 02:55:21 pm »
app says it's getting 28,426 games from my xml file.
It's either from v.146 or 150. 
Got tired of waiting for the text file to open to see which version.

EDIT: ......and going through the xml file accounted for 35 seconds of the 44 second startup time.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:08:49 pm by BadMouth »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2013, 03:19:16 pm »
I'm adding another check-box to the general config tab of the settings/config dialog "Load irrelevant crap from history.dat" (perhaps better wording will make it to the final version).  This will be disabled by default, so console games and other things of dubious value will be skipped.  That should reduce or eliminate all those mostly blank entries.  I'm also adding a prune database thing and a save/load thing.  The idea is: pick filter options to show all the crap you dont want, hit the "prune this crap" button, then hit the "save" button.  On the next start-up, it will see the save file and load that.  Original files (mame.xml, etc) will not be altered, so you can always force a reload somehow (eg delete the save file).  Or something like that, it's still work in progress.  Filtering for the stuff you DONT want seems counter-intuitive, maybe I'll reverse that.  That's the plan anyway - I'll test it out, and if it's helpful, it'll be in the next build, with....other things I've done and since forgotten about :)

Would it be helpful to display, somewhere, the mame version as per the loaded mame.xml?  Maybe title-bar?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2013, 03:36:38 pm »
I'm adding another check-box to the general config tab of the settings/config dialog "Load irrelevant crap from history.dat" (perhaps better wording will make it to the final version).  This will be disabled by default, so console games and other things of dubious value will be skipped.  That should reduce or eliminate all those mostly blank entries.  I'm also adding a prune database thing and a save/load thing.  The idea is: pick filter options to show all the crap you dont want, hit the "prune this crap" button, then hit the "save" button.  On the next start-up, it will see the save file and load that.  Original files (mame.xml, etc) will not be altered, so you can always force a reload somehow (eg delete the save file).  Or something like that, it's still work in progress.  Filtering for the stuff you DONT want seems counter-intuitive, maybe I'll reverse that.  That's the plan anyway - I'll test it out, and if it's helpful, it'll be in the next build, with....other things I've done and since forgotten about :)

Would it be helpful to display, somewhere, the mame version as per the loaded mame.xml?  Maybe title-bar?

Having the version at the top would be good.

Crap I would like to filter out: Mahjong, Hanafuda (SP?), Adult, Fruit Machine, Mechanical, Gambling.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2013, 05:13:06 pm »
Mame version is good to display.

For the preference setting I wouldn't have it filter out game types like Mahjong, Fruit Machine etc., leave that to the UI on the left. For the extra history.dat blank listings that'd be a good solution though. I like the saved search option.

I'm with you on always having the option to get at all the data. One mans 'dubious value' is another mans treasure.  ;D

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2013, 05:44:50 pm »
Mame version (as per mame.xml) added to title-bar

One mans 'dubious value' is another mans treasure.  ;D

Agreed, which is why there are so many blank-ish entries.  I thought it best to add, rather than impose my opinions.

However, I've now worked through the cause of most (all?) blank entries and, rather than impose myself on the solution, have created two options to control loading these.  Causes include:
  • mismatched file versions, eg mame.xml from 151, mameinfo/catver/history/etc from various other versions - games added/removed/renamed along the way; dat file entry causing creation a new database entry
  • console games from history.dat
  • "drivers" from the driver section of mameinfo.dat

New options:
  • Create entry for unknown will create a database entry when a game not found in mame.xml is discovered in another dat/ini file (mismatch, console game, any other reason, except the next bullet)
  • Load drivers will load the mameinfo driver info.  I separated this out in case some people had need for driver entries, but not the other noise.

And I've added a button on the toolbar to bring up the settings/config dialog for easier access.

Added the "miscDetails" from controls.ini to the "Controls" section (detail screen)

etc

I'm testing these and a few more things and will post app update asap.  8bit, I can swap the splash-screen logo with one of yours, if you pick one out - I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of cool options you created.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2013, 07:09:57 pm »
I think you may have mentioned this before, but since the original MAWS was last updated, reporting of the joysticks in the xml has changed from

control type="joy4way"
 to
control type="joy" ways="4"

I'm trying to make a list of all 4-way games with your most current build, but only have the option for "joy".
I'd hate to add yet another category.  Is it possible to add joy 4-way, joy 8-way and joy 2-way to the current drop down list for controls?

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2013, 07:13:53 pm »
yeah, no problem, will be in next build...coming soon...

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2013, 07:15:30 pm »
I think you may have mentioned this before, but since the original MAWS was last updated, reporting of the joysticks in the xml has changed from

Yes there is more detail about this change in this post. It's easy enough to convert it back to the old format to maintain backward compatibility.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2013, 07:52:50 pm »
Thanks ids, I was bored so I did a boatload of variants. Some of the zombie ones are fun but I'd probably go with one of the standard non-zombie versions below unless there's a strong opinion here. Are you ok with MAWLER? I'm happy to change anything on the splash screen (name, font, color etc) if anyone wants to see something else.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:46:57 pm by 8BitMonk »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2013, 09:38:18 pm »
Yes there is more detail about this change in this post. It's easy enough to convert it back to the old format to maintain backward compatibility.

Thanks - I've ported your code over, and added a case to handle:
doublejoy   8   2   -   doublejoy4way

Are you ok with MAWLER?

Sure, I've no particular opinions on name, MAWLER sounds cool enough.  I grabbed one of those pics and put it in as the splash screen.  Calling it "v1.0" might be premature, but we can call it a bug in the beta :)

Anyway, new version uploaded - same URL.

Deleting mature, fruit machines, and all that, makes a big difference to load time.  Filter for all the crap you want removed, hit the trashcan in the toolbar, and then hit the floppy (save) icon.  Next startup will be improved.  Runtime seems a bit quicker as well.  You can run multiple filter/delete cycles and save at any time(s).  Not loading console game entries and the like also reduces overall count.  This build has had a lot of internal changes and may be a bit rough, please report issues.

Thanks

EDIT: just uploaded another version, fixed a few things
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:27:07 pm by ids »

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2013, 12:27:32 am »
    Cool, thanks for the updated version!

New splash that says '(pre-beta)' at the url below:
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa380/8BitMonk/MAWLER/mawler_c6pb_zpsb0e0ef7d.png

Here's what I found:

• Toggling the two options to include the extra data only seems to include a couple hundred records. 29436 without and 29852 with. Seems like your original was up around 59k so I'm not sure if it was just cleaned up more or? The extra's seem to come from history.dat selection, not the mame info one.
  • I filtered my list down to 2685 records and tried to re-launch with no luck. See error message below. I tried several times. I'm testing on my Macbook Pro i7 2.2 Deleting the MAWLER-save.db fixes it but the deletions are of course gone.
  • If you hit the trash can to delete records it deletes them when you hit cancel!!
  • The trashcan is a bit confusing since you can select or shift-select records. The user may wonder, am I deleting my selected records or my whole filtered list? Trial and error shows it's the filtered selection but then there's no way to go back other than restarting.
  • I'm not sure I like the 'trash' records. Seems like it would be better as save states. Glad that it doesn't mess with the original xml, that's good. Easy enough to delete the MAWLER-save.db and start over but it's not super user friendly.

Coming along nicely, thanks!!

Error message after saving trimmed down list and trying to restart:
MAWLER-save.db: Processed 2685 games in 3.799000 seconds.
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at ca.ids.maws.gui.GamePanel.addContent(GamePanel.java:31)
   at ca.ids.maws.gui.BorderedPanel.<init>(BorderedPanel.java:32)
   at ca.ids.maws.gui.GamePanel.<init>(GamePanel.java:26)
   at ca.ids.maws.gui.DetailScreen.<init>(DetailScreen.java:25)
   at ca.ids.maws.gui.Maws2._showDetailScreen(Maws2.java:289)
   at ca.ids.maws.gui.Maws2.showDetailScreenHelper(Maws2.java:245)
   at ca.ids.maws.gui.Maws2.showSet(Maws2.java:226)
   at ca.ids.maws.gui.Maws2.init(Maws2.java:154)
   at ca.ids.maws.gui.Maws2.main(Maws2.java:88)[/list]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:30:59 am by 8BitMonk »

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2013, 09:05:18 am »
Thanks - I've ported your code over, and added a case to handle:
doublejoy   8   2   -   doublejoy4way

How does my code not handle this case?

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2013, 11:35:22 am »
Headkaze, as I understand your code from the other thread, it does not map that case.  Snippet:

if (ways.Equals("3 (half4)"))
ways = "4";
else if (ways.Equals("5 (half8)"))
ways = "8";
else if (ways.Equals("vertical2"))
{ ways = "2"; vertical = "v"; }

return String.Format("{0}{1}{2}way", vertical, type, ways);

The way I read this code, in the case where type=doublejoy, ways=8, and ways2=2, the result will be "doublejoy8way", but your table there says it should map to"doublejoy4way".  My apologies if I've got this wrong somehow.

8Bit - thanks for all the testing - if you add back pacman, the app should start up, seems it's quite upset that it's removed.  I'll fix that - bug is related to some of the internal messing around I've done, and doesn't surprise me.  I have since changed the "confirm" dialog to show only "OK" - it's popped-up after the delete is done as a confirm...i used the wrong dialog box there.  Maybe it'd be better as a pre-delete confirm - and maybe it should track selection, or let you pick all or selected.  I've def. got some UI work to do, lots in fact.  I've been focusing on the easy bits to get the functionality in.  I was also thinking it'd be good to be able to save multiple files and select which to load - if that's what you mean by save-states.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2013, 01:14:01 pm »
8Bit - thanks for all the testing - if you add back pacman, the app should start up, seems it's quite upset that it's removed.

Cool, I'll give that a try.

Maybe it'd be better as a pre-delete confirm - and maybe it should track selection, or let you pick all or selected.

I think it would, more intuitive as a confirmation dialog box.

I've def. got some UI work to do, lots in fact.  I've been focusing on the easy bits to get the functionality in. 

Let me know if I can help. I have a bunch of UI elements etc. For your icons you should check out the Free Fugue or Fam Fam Silk sets:
http://p.yusukekamiyamane.com/icons/search/fugue/
http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

I was also thinking it'd be good to be able to save multiple files and select which to load - if that's what you mean by save-states.

Yep that's what I was thinking. The ability to save what you've filtered and then restore to an old save or the full list.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2013, 04:39:38 pm »
New version uploaded.  You should delete your .db file if you have one

• Updated dialog interaction wrt deletes.
  • Fixed bugs in xml/dat/ini loading and the options related to load/not load things.
  • Fixed startup - loads a random game, pacman no longer required :)
  • Updated splash image to the pre-beta version
  • Other stuff I forget already

Oh, and cool icons - I've downloaded, and put them on my to-do list

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2013, 05:10:32 pm »
Excellent, thanks for the update! I'll check it out tonight.  :applaud:

Edit: Just got a chance to take a look and test it out, works great!

• The new 'trash' works great, the dialogs are much more clear and you can cancel.
  • Like that you can manually select games and it will ask you if you want to delete your selections or by the sort.
  • Would be nice to be able to be to reset to the full list without having to manually delete the save db like the ability to save/load different pruned saves. Minor inconvenience.
  • Like that it tells you how many records it trashed. Maybe put the records that will be deleted in the confirmation popup too before they delete.
  • Trimmed list of ~2800 records loads fast, about 4 seconds.
  • Might be nice to have a reset button (where the graph is now) that just resets the single field. Find when I don't want to reset all of them it can be a pain to go to each and roll it back to 'Any'.
  • I've thrown in some icons and did a little UI mockup. Think the nav arrows work better over the records.
  • If anyone is on a Mac  and wants to do a shortcut for launching this from terminal without typing see this http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_creating_aliases_commands. Saves some time vs. typing in Terminal. I'm sure there's a PC equivalent

Mock-up:

Great work, better with every revision.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:47:48 pm by 8BitMonk »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2013, 11:09:12 am »
Thanks again - your feedback is very much appreciated.

Quick response to a few items - numbered for reference:

• Would be nice to be able to be to reset to the full list without having to manually delete the save db like the ability to save/load different pruned saves. Minor inconvenience.
  • Like that it tells you how many records it trashed. Maybe put the records that will be deleted in the confirmation popup too before they delete.
  • Trimmed list of ~2800 records loads fast, about 4 seconds.
  • Might be nice to have a reset button (where the graph is now) that just resets the single field. Find when I don't want to reset all of them it can be a pain to go to each and roll it back to 'Any'.
  • I've thrown in some icons and did a little UI mockup. Think the nav arrows work better over the records.
  • If anyone is on a Mac  and wants to do a shortcut for launching this from terminal without typing see this http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_creating_aliases_commands. Saves some time vs. typing in Terminal. I'm sure there's a PC equivalent
  • I was thinking that app startup should be smarter - prompt for which files to load, show the File Config dialog if no files found, etc.  And, at runtime, be able to switch.  However, I'm not sure how much value some of this adds, as the real benefit is start-up time.  Switching databases on the fly will still incur the load time.  And the real goal is a proper SQL database, at which point this is all moot, and the killer feature will be pseudo-permanent filters (ie remove all the "junk", then apply my filter stuff on the left there).
  • I was planning this, but laziness won out.  I'll try to get it into the next build.
  • That's fast - I'm at about 12s, which is still a huge improvement.  I was thinking of an option - maybe in a startup-prompt - to pre-configure the xml/dat/ini file loading with certain filters to bring down the total numbers.  It may not actually improve load times, as we still need to parse the entire file, but it would make it easy to have a trimmed DB.
  • There are a lot of things I'd like to place by each drop-list, but real-estate is at a premium.  I was thinking maybe a pop-up menu or something... I was also thinking to highlight fields that have a value(s) selected to make them easier spot
  • Looks great.  I'll get there one day.  It's hard to juggle time: add feature, or work on aesthetics...hmmm...maybe one more feature....
  • I can add "bat/cmd" and shell scripts to the zip file if that helps.  That should cover most OS's.

Currently working on creating custom filter sets - you get to pick with fields show up on the left there.  Out of the box, there will be settings for "minimal" and "deluxe", but you can add your own, name them, and select them on the fly.  I'd really like to know what fields people would like to search/filter.    I can very easily add them to the list, making them available for custom filter set things.

thx

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2013, 12:11:07 pm »
  • I was thinking that app startup should be smarter - prompt for which files to load, show the File Config dialog if no files found, etc.  And, at runtime, be able to switch.  However, I'm not sure how much value some of this adds, as the real benefit is start-up time.  Switching databases on the fly will still incur the load time.  And the real goal is a proper SQL database, at which point this is all moot, and the killer feature will be pseudo-permanent filters (ie remove all the "junk", then apply my filter stuff on the left there).

I agree, I wouldn't spend time on this as as the value is questionable and it'd likely be moot with an SQL version. I would make it fail nicer if the appropriate files aren't all there though so it's at least friendly for a basic user for the time being. As it stands I think it just doesn't launch with no indication as to what went wrong.

• I was planning this, but laziness won out.  I'll try to get it into the next build.

This is more polish than necessity.

• That's fast - I'm at about 12s, which is still a huge improvement.  I was thinking of an option - maybe in a startup-prompt - to pre-configure the xml/dat/ini file loading with certain filters to bring down the total numbers.  It may not actually improve load times, as we still need to parse the entire file, but it would make it easy to have a trimmed DB.

Not sure a prompt to filter at load would be useful, more confusing with minimal payoff.

• There are a lot of things I'd like to place by each drop-list, but real-estate is at a premium.  I was thinking maybe a pop-up menu or something... I was also thinking to highlight fields that have a value(s) selected to make them easier spot

This was a also a nice-to-have and unecessary if you couldn't make space or it's too difficult to implement. The icon sizes could be smaller, you could probably get 3 to the right of the text field, not a big deal though. I like the idea of highlighting changed fields, several time I hit Search thinking I was getting the whole sort and not realizing I had set one of the filters.

• Looks great.  I'll get there one day.  It's hard to juggle time: add feature, or work on aesthetics...hmmm...maybe one more feature....

I'll take features over aesthetics any day. However if it's just a matter of swapping an image and it's relatively easy then...  ;D

• I can add "bat/cmd" and shell scripts to the zip file if that helps.  That should cover most OS's.

This would be good and may get more people to test. I think for the average user opening up a cmd prompt or terminal window, changing the directory and typing in a string of commands is a dealbreaker.

Currently working on creating custom filter sets - you get to pick with fields show up on the left there.  Out of the box, there will be settings for "minimal" and "deluxe", but you can add your own, name them, and select them on the fly. 

I like this idea, it'd be good to be able to share sets.

I'd really like to know what fields people would like to search/filter.    I can very easily add them to the list, making them available for custom filter set things.

I think all of the ones I need/want are there already.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2013, 01:26:16 pm »
...I think for the average user opening up a cmd prompt or terminal window, changing the directory and typing in a string of commands is a dealbreaker.

yeah, i keep forgetting things like this.  I've been staring at command lines for far too many decades now.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2013, 10:52:15 am »
Is there somewhere in each game record that shows if it's a parent or clone? Or if it's a parent what it's clones are? I didn't notice anything in the listing, would be useful to know. In the built-in mame launcher they show parents in white and clones in gray in the list view. It might be nice to have a visual cue like this as well in list view.

One other thing, it's currently not easy to add back a handful of games once you've filtered. For example: say you wanted to filter out all clones except a few because they are better than the parent. There's not easy way to do this. This is a typical use too because there are probably 20-50 roms that are better than the parents or that you might want in addition to the parent. Check out this thread: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?11442-Mame-Clones-worth-playing-a-complete-(hopefully)-list

Not to pile on more stuff, just spitballin' here.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:05:45 am by 8BitMonk »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2013, 01:10:39 am »
New version uploaded.

Search results show clones in grey, BIOS in red
Detail screen - ROM list is colour coded - blue indicates clickable to go to parent set
Customizable search criteria included (need a good name for these, suggestions welcome)
    - config dialog is used to create/delete custom search styles
    - new droplist in toolbar is used to select current search style.  Simple and deluxe are defaults out of the box and cannot be deleted.
    - Customizations are not currently saved after app closes - that's a to-do list item
New icons in use in most/all places
Now includes both a .bat and shell script
etc

I can see no easy way to apply a filter yet at the same time maintain specific exceptions.  I'll keep it mind, and maybe work something out some day.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:01:40 am by ids »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2013, 11:38:39 am »
I'm missing buttons on the toolbar now and the buttons at the bottom just have part of the word followed by ....
as if the word doesn't fit.

Not sure if it's relevant, but the toolbar can also be detached from the window and pops into it's own little window.
I discovered this clicking on it to see if the buttons were there, but invisible.

Also, I think the chart button makes it look more complicated than it needs to be.
If it's not going to be used anytime soon, ditch it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:40:41 am by BadMouth »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2013, 11:46:54 am »
Thanks for the feedback - I will post a fix asap.  And I'll remove the chart button - I was thinking along the same lines.

The toolbar is supposed to be detachable, and can reattach to any side of the window - I can disable that if it's a problem.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2013, 12:08:27 pm »
Great additions, thanks for the update. I like the rom color coding.

I'm having the same issue with icons, they're gone and the clickable region is really small.

The shell script didn't work for me, it says...
Unable to access jarfile maws2.jar
logout

[Process completed]

Something odd is going on with the Simple/Deluxe dropdown menu, it stays on the screen for about 15 seconds after you select one of the options.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:48:46 pm by 8BitMonk »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2013, 03:30:44 pm »
Update posted, hopefully all new issues resolved.

Shell script needs work - right now it requires being run from cmdline in the right dir.

The dropdown should go away fairly quickly - any messages showing in stdout/stderr?

thx

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2013, 06:48:23 pm »
You da man ids, this is fantastic!   :applaud: :notworthy:

Comments below:

• Really like the saved search styles. Nice to let the user choose what they want their filters to be.
  • Saved search styles don't appear to be persistent, ie. they are gone after I close and reopen the app.
  • Icons look great, like that they gray out when not needed. At first I thought it was a glitch.
  • You can expand AND contract the filters now. Nice!

Shell script needs work - right now it requires being run from cmdline in the right dir.

So I did some digging online and found that OSX 10.5 and later come with an interesting app built in called Jar Bundler. From the Finder go to 'Go to folder' and /usr/share/java/tools. This appears to allow you to bundle your java with parameters and have it act like a clickable app (screenshot below). I tried it and it works except for I don't get the boot screen anymore. Maybe something I missed that your expertise with java will catch?

The dropdown should go away fairly quickly - any messages showing in stdout/stderr?

I guess it's only a second or two. It's a little disorienting, nothing major and I don't see any error messages.

Great work, this has come a long way in a short time and is a very handy little app. For me it's replaced ROMLister entirely. If you want to keep developing however...

...at the top of the 'wish list' for me would be the ability to save games to separate groupings instead of deleting them. I envision this just like it is now except instead of the scissor there would be another icon for you to add what you have selected/sorted to a list rather than deleting from the master list like you do with the scissors. You would create/manage these just like you do now with teh search styles and they would be persistent. When you'd go to add more it would ask you which list to add them to.

Thanks again for all your work.  :cheers:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:40:40 pm by 8BitMonk »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2013, 10:36:20 pm »
new version uploaded - sorry, thats 3 in less than 24 hours, my bad

Fixed shell script
Search fields are highlighted if a value is picked, or text entered -- the label goes bold/red
Minor performance improvement when switching search styles (I really really need a new name for this feature)
etc

I don't have the Jar Bundler, and google says they've dropped it over a year ago.  I assume it would have been silently deleted during an OS or Java update.  The shell script should work tho.

Thanks

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2013, 10:41:17 pm »
Hey, I haven't jumped into this yet, but as someone who lamented the passing of MAWS I really appreciate the work you've done in resurrecting it. It is a great thing for the BYOAC community!  :cheers:
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2013, 10:59:43 pm »
Thanks - very much appreciated.  Now that you've jumped in, any feature requests?

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2013, 01:46:33 am »
Fixed shell script

New one works, thanks.

Search fields are highlighted if a value is picked, or text entered -- the label goes bold/red
Minor performance improvement when switching search styles (I really really need a new name for this feature)
etc

Cool, I like this feature. It's nice and easy to see at a glance if you've got a filter active.
Ideas for names: List Filters, List Filter Sets, Filter Sets, Filter Presets, Data Selector Set(s), Data Selection Set(s)

I don't have the Jar Bundler, and google says they've dropped it over a year ago.  I assume it would have been silently deleted during an OS or Java update.  The shell script should work tho.

The shell script works though I see the error message below in Terminal. No noticable affects after launch. I wouldn't worry about it, guessing 99% of users will be Windows. No errors show on the windows version.

Failed to load database - perhaps a versioning issue here.
java.io.InvalidClassException: ca.ids.mame.model.Mame; local class incompatible: stream classdesc serialVersionUID = 4948313731757071219, local class serialVersionUID = 1
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.initNonProxy(ObjectStreamClass.java:570)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readNonProxyDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1601)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readClassDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1496)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1750)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1329)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:349)
at ca.ids.maws.DataAccess.deserialize(DataAccess.java:345)
at ca.ids.maws.DataAccess.getMame(DataAccess.java:287)
at ca.ids.maws.DataAccess.list(DataAccess.java:142)
at ca.ids.maws.Cache.getFieldValues(Cache.java:18)
at ca.ids.maws.gui.AdvSearchList2.createCB(AdvSearchList2.java:163)
at ca.ids.maws.gui.AdvSearchList2.addDropList(AdvSearchList2.java:128)
at ca.ids.maws.gui.AdvSearchList2.addCB(AdvSearchList2.java:118)
at ca.ids.maws.gui.AdvSearchList2.addCB(AdvSearchList2.java:114)
at ca.ids.maws.gui.AdvSearchList2.setGUI(AdvSearchList2.java:50)
at ca.ids.maws.gui.AdvSearchList2.<init>(AdvSearchList2.java:38)
at ca.ids.maws.gui.DeluxeSearchPanel.<init>(DeluxeSearchPanel.java:35)
at ca.ids.maws.gui.Maws2.init(Maws2.java:96)
at ca.ids.maws.gui.Maws2.main(Maws2.java:87)
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (xmc.util.xml.PropertyDescriptor).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
Warning - data being overwritten: Mame.game; key='vector'
mame.xml: Processed 29610 games in 33.126000 seconds.
nplayers.ini: Processed 29648 games, 0 failed, 9836 games, 19812 non-games, in 0.218000 seconds.
hiscore.dat: Processed 4498 games in 0.025000 seconds.
controls.ini: Processed 1072 games in 0.152000 seconds.
history.dat: Loaded info for 10737 games in 0.403000 seconds.
mameinfo.dat: Loaded info for 8949 games in 2.388000 seconds.
Read 28627 files from 'cheat.7z' in 3.057569 seconds
7425 files had cheat codes, and 21202 files had none.
Catver.ini: Loaded 29429 genre/category details into games, 29414 version-added entries, in 0.131562 seconds.
Database contains 29610 unique entries.  Total load time of all files was 40.132 seconds
SEACHING !!!!
SEACHING !!!!

Another random 'nice to have' feature: If the window is focused on the list view (ie. a record is selected) and you start typing it filters the list automatically based on the first few letters you type.

Not sure why people aren't more excited about this and there hasn't been more traction in the thread, it eff'ing ROCKS!! ;D
Really nice to be finally be able to browse and trim my mame game list in an efficient way.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2013, 02:05:47 am »
That error means you need to delete your save.db file, sorry.  Or re-save/overwrite.  I've fixed the "serial version id" to a constant value, 1, so it shouldn't happen in the future.  Sorry, beta software has it's risks :(

Thanks for the kinds words - all I see are the flaws and to-do's, so its really appreciated

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2013, 04:10:05 pm »
New version uploaded.

• Added graphic to toolbar
  • Added "mechanical" to "Resource Type" list
  • Added dipswitch stuff - filter option, result option, detail screen bit
  • Added info taken from controls.ini and Colors.ini to detail screen in new table
  • fixed minor parse bug for controls.ini and Colors.ini - would not have had any real impact afaik
  • etc

Due to updated internal data model, you should delete your save.db file, sorry again about that

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2013, 05:20:37 pm »
Wow, that was quick, thanks for the update. It's cool to have that extra data on the detail screen.

I'm getting some errors on both mac and pc when I launch though I'm not sure there's any affect once loaded.

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (xmc.util.xml.PropertyDescriptor).
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
mame.xml: Processed 29610 games in 33.596000 seconds.
nplayers.ini: Processed 29648 games, 0 failed, 9836 games, 19812 non-games, in 0.190000 seconds.
hiscore.dat: Processed 4498 games in 0.016000 seconds.
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game firetrk control 'P1_DIAL
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game firetrk control 'P1_DIAL_EXT
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_UP
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_DOWN
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_LEFT
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_RIGHT
controls.ini: Processed 1060 games in 0.150000 seconds.
Cannot find Colors.ini file: Colors.ini
history.dat: Loaded info for 10737 games in 0.657000 seconds.
mameinfo.dat: Loaded info for 8949 games in 0.262000 seconds.
Read 28627 files from 'cheat.7z' in 2.144911 seconds
Catver.ini: Loaded 29429 genre/category details into games, 29414 version-added entries, in 0.108075 seconds.
Database contains 29610 unique entries.  Total load time of all files was 37.54 seconds

The Search Styles should save, I think this will be confusing and frustrating to users. Having it adjust only for the session is useful but a bit counterintuitive.

The way it's setup color flagging and filtering would be a hugely welcome addition and really take this to the next level. Example: Select some records from the list view, right-click and a contextual menu with 5-10 common colors are there to choose from. Pick a color to assign it to the records you have selected, they change to the color and then under the Search Styles you have a dropdown menu called 'Color Flags' that you can use to sort what you've manually selected.

Nice to see the Mawler logo in the titlebar, once it gets out of pre-beta we should change the boot screen to one of the zombie versions. It's sufficiently badass enough now to warrant a zombified boot screen.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2013, 06:00:44 pm »
The output you quote should be mostly safe to ignore.  Items of interest, however:
  • The mame-vector thing is complaining about the mame.xml having two games called "vector" - I use name as a key, and can only keep one of these
  • The controls.ini stuff I believe to be legit problems with the file.  I think those should be P2_*.  I get the same thing.

The rest is on the to-do list

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2013, 09:19:20 pm »
New version - search styles now saved

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2013, 11:10:03 pm »
Nice work, that rocks!!  :applaud:

nullPointer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2021, 10:09:31 pm
« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2013, 11:37:47 am »
I was just wondering if we could pin this thread?  It seems like something that could have a great benefit for the community.  Well done ids!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2013, 11:39:07 am »
I was just wondering if we could pin this thread?  It seems like something that could have a great benefit for the community.  Well done ids!

Might be better to make a new thread so nobody has to dig through our discussions about previous versions.

EDIT: I think the GameEx/X-Arcade giveaway thread can be de-stickied.  The promotion is long dead.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:41:02 am by BadMouth »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2013, 12:04:39 pm »
thx null ptr

ok - I'll create a new thread.

Sorry about the silence lately, been busy with other things, and the to-do list remains as-is for now.  I plan to get back to it as soon as I can find the time.  In the interim, if there is some particular feature needed I can try to work in into my schedule, otherwise the to-do list will be attacked at some random moment in the future.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2013, 01:37:46 pm »
So I don't muddy up the new thread I'll thank ids here for doing this.

Very awesome!   :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #158 on: December 10, 2013, 01:43:41 pm »
Thanks - it was my pleasure, and I'm thrilled others find use in it

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2013, 02:10:09 pm »
Awesome! Been patiently lurking on this, but as soon as I get my computer (which is a smoldering heap) repaired, I'm gonna dive into trying this out.

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2013, 08:41:15 pm »
ids, what's your PayPal address? I have a sudden urge to "gift" you!

-Jason

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #161 on: December 10, 2013, 09:05:52 pm »
That is a very kind offer, Jason.  However, I'm not doing this for money, and would not feel right accepting any.  If you're feeling generous, there are many worthwhile charities out there.  It's payment enough for me to know people are using it, find value in it, and I enjoy coding it as well.  The best gift you could give me would be a feature request - let me know what you want it to do, so I have something to focus on, even if it's already on the to do list.

thx

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2013, 12:13:32 pm »
What charity do you like? :] If you have no preference, I like FIRST: http://www.usfirst.org/involved/donate

As for MAWLER feature requests, I'm so swamped that I can't even find time to check out your threads & software & ask an intelligent question. *blush*

I miss having a MAWS website that I'd use to confirm controls, check out ROM parent/child info, and, probably most important to me, I used it to see updates/breaks/fixes in emulation of specific games as each rev of MAME was released.

I'm using 115u2 for most of my games, but I have a few other (slightly) more recent mame.exe compiles in my cab for the few games that weren't emulated properly on that rev, or were outright broken on that rev, etc. If your program tracks rev changes & is on the internet, then I'm tickled pink.

Thanks,
-Jason

PS--I've been trying to find words to fit MAWLER, but nothing great yet:
Mame, Ah, We Love Electronic Recreation!
Mame, As We Like Entertainment Reference
MAme, We're Looking Everywhere for Reference
MAme WhoLe Encompassing Reference

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2013, 03:58:05 pm »
Delicately sidesteps the financial discussion...

I miss having a MAWS website that I'd use to confirm controls, check out ROM parent/child info, and, probably most important to me, I used it to see updates/breaks/fixes in emulation of specific games as each rev of MAME was released.
Got the first two covered for the most part.  The update/break/fix...not so sure about.  If the info is available somewhere in some parseable format, it could be added.

If your program tracks rev changes & is on the internet, then I'm tickled pink.

Going web-based is part of the longer term plan.  Tracking rev changes...again, not sure where to get such info from.  The mameinfo.dat seems to have that sort of info, which can be read on a game-detail screen, but otherwise the app doesn't really expose it in a useful way.

I've just made a few minor cosmetic fixes:
  • Mouse wheel speed improvement
  • Controls/Misc was hidden - restored
  • Sometimes when clearing text search fields (e.g. via the "wand" icon in toolbar) the bold/red would remain - fixed

Probably not enough there to warrant another release, so I'll find something more significant to add, and push another build out at some point...

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2013, 05:16:13 pm »
PS--I've been trying to find words to fit MAWLER, but nothing great yet:
Mame, Ah, We Love Electronic Recreation!
Mame, As We Like Entertainment Reference
MAme, We're Looking Everywhere for Reference
MAme WhoLe Encompassing Reference

Besides being a nod to MAWS there's not direct acronym. MAme List WrangLER is about as close as it gets.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2013, 05:37:13 pm »
Isn't that MALWER?   ;)

How about:
Manuscript for Arcade Wide Logistics Entry Research?

I tried.  :dunno

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2013, 05:38:49 pm »
Vigo, i like that.

I was about to post something less sophisticated, but you win (my entry was: MAWs Like Egregious Recreation)

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2013, 05:44:36 pm »
Hey, Thanks!  :)

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2013, 07:21:47 pm »
Isn't that MALWER?   ;)

Technically, yes.  Try squinting when you look at the name, I find that helps. :lol

Ok, I'll have a go... Making Arcades With Less Evident Revulsion

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2013, 09:32:08 pm »
I do like the List Wrangler thing, and find amusement in the way its kinda broken :)

You're latest got me thinking, tho:
How bout: Mawler: an Acronym With a Lack of Evident Rationale

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2013, 10:26:18 pm »
How bout: Mawler: an Acronym With a Lack of Evident Rationale

That's perfect! :laugh2:

Any acronym is going to sound forced because well... it is. I find the variety of words you can use for MAWLER quite entertaining and part of the charm...

Moderately Adept Way of Listing Every Rom
Morally Ambiguous Whales Leading Every Rebellion

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2013, 01:06:29 am »
I am really enjoying all of these.  Perhaps the only solution is to collect them all and display one at random...somewhere...  Maybe in an About dialog, but that seems too far out of reach.  Maybe title bar and/or splash screen (which I can draw on top of at run-time), etc....  Maybe one day, a year from now or so, there will be a thread with people arguing about what it really stands for :)  Then you'll get the inevitable know-it all saying "no way man, my uncle knows a guy who worked with they guy who wrote it, and it definitely stands for....."  :laugh2:

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2013, 10:08:57 am »
I am really enjoying all of these.  Perhaps the only solution is to collect them all and display one at random...somewhere... 

Awesome Idea!  :applaud:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2013, 10:15:11 am »
My
App
Will
List
Every
Rom

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2013, 11:56:37 am »
Much Ado With 'Lectric Entertainment, Retro

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2013, 12:12:13 pm »
Man Are We Loud Enough Really

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2013, 12:19:10 pm »
Man Are We Loud Enough Really

Man Are We Listing Enough Roms?

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2013, 03:03:06 pm »
Those are all good! :laugh2:

Kind of tough to stop once you get started...

Making Arcade Watch Lists Exceptionally Reasonable
Mame Arcade Wish Lists Excessively Reduced
My Arcade Wants Less Excess Rubbish
Morons And Wankers Listing Every Rom

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2013, 03:05:27 pm »
Me Are Well Like Emulation Reference

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2013, 03:17:13 pm »
Morons And Wankers Listing Every Reference

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2013, 04:27:02 pm »
OK...i'm taking this off the cliff..

Mugging Aquatic Wild Life Enrages Rangers

Might A Wookie Love Erotic Rubbing?

Marrying A Whale Lowers Expectations Romantically

Migrant Alien Workers Labor Efficient Repairs

Moldy Aged Waffles Likely Encourage Ralphing

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2013, 04:46:06 pm »
This thread is becoming a gold mine :)

Mediocre Acronym With Little Evaluation Received

Massive Arrests Wont Limit Executable Rectitude

MAme Warrants Listless Evening Recreation

Modern Assistive Wrangler of List Extracting Robots

Military Arms Were Last Enriched Recently

Mother Always Wore Long Evening weaR

My Arms Work Like Excellent Ratchets

Mice Artists Wail Life Enriching Repertoires

back on topic: Miday Atari Williams Leland Exidy Rare

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2013, 05:53:19 pm »
back on topic: Miday Atari Williams Leland Exidy Rare

THAT is back on topic?  :laugh2:

Massive Autocratic Way to Lessen Evil Robots

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2013, 12:39:56 am »
Jason - thanks, I'm sure the charity appreciates your gift.

8Bit - well, not directly on topic, but at least arcade related

New version uploaded.  Changes as mentioned earlier, with a few more:
  • Mouse wheel speed improvement
  • Controls/Misc was hidden - restored
  • Sometimes when clearing text search fields (e.g. via the "wand" icon in toolbar) the bold/red would remain - fixed
  • Titlebar shows random acronym
  • Performance improvement in XML parsing (15-20%) - some aggressive work here, pls report issues
  • Purge pop-up dialog updated; when row(s) are selected, now shows row count, and defaults to purge selected rather than all in table
  • etc

I'll post this in the other thread as well
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:46:05 am by ids »

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:32 pm »
Looks good, thanks for the update ids.

Back to Jason's question about filtering by mame version, I'm not sure if they were somehow parsing it from the description but in MAWS if you look at the wayback machine URL there is definitely a filter for version (version added or roms in that version i'm not sure?) and another called 'cumulative changes'. I hadn't used these much in MAWS (usually keep my romset at the newest version) so I can't really speak about their need or usefulness.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2013, 11:36:44 pm »
Hey - I just posted another update - a big increase in XML parse performance again - This one is worth the download.  I'm down to about 15s to load mame.xml.

I do have Version Added.  Anything else will require some research....

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2013, 08:52:37 pm »
Thanks, it does seem a bit quicker. The last couple of versions have had some (probably benign) errors I thought I'd pass along:

I:\Arcade [ Tools ]\MAWLER>java -Xmx768m -Xmx768m -jar maws2.jar
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (xmc.util.xml.PropertyDescript
or).
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more in
fo.
Parse took 17548.333297ms
mame.xml: Processed 29610 games in 17.556000 seconds.
nplayers.ini: Processed 29648 games, 0 failed, 9836 games, 19812 non-games, in 0
.080000 seconds.
hiscore.dat: Processed 4498 games in 0.006000 seconds.
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_U
P
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_D
OWN
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_L
EFT
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_R
IGHT
controls.ini: Processed 1060 games in 0.123000 seconds.
history.dat: Loaded info for 10737 games in 0.319000 seconds.
mameinfo.dat: Loaded info for 8949 games in 2.233000 seconds.
Read 28627 files from 'cheat.7z' in 2.462294 seconds
Catver.ini: Loaded 29429 genre/category details into games, 29414 version-added
entries, in 0.083232 seconds.
Database contains 29610 unique entries.  Total load time of all files was 23.213
 seconds

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2013, 09:23:08 pm »
I'll run through what you're seeing...

These are cuz I'm lazy, and will have no effect:

This is because mame.xml has two entries for a game named "vector"

Just timing stuff so I can see how bad it is:
Parse took 17548.333297ms
mame.xml: Processed 29610 games in 17.556000 seconds.
nplayers.ini: Processed 29648 games, 0 failed, 9836 games, 19812 non-games, in 0.080000 seconds.
hiscore.dat: Processed 4498 games in 0.006000 seconds.

More input file problems - duplicates again.  Whoever maintains controls.ini should have a look:
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_UP
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_DOWN
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_LEFT
controls.ini contains a duplicate entry for game quarterb control 'P1_JOYSTICK_RIGHT
controls.ini: Processed 1060 games in 0.123000 seconds.

Safe to ignore - you dont have a "Colors.ini", so some details wont display:

timing &tc for the rest of the files:
history.dat: Loaded info for 10737 games in 0.319000 seconds.
mameinfo.dat: Loaded info for 8949 games in 2.233000 seconds.
Read 28627 files from 'cheat.7z' in 2.462294 seconds
Catver.ini: Loaded 29429 genre/category details into games, 29414 version-added entries, in 0.083232 seconds.
Database contains 29610 unique entries.  Total load time of all files was 23.213 seconds

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #188 on: December 17, 2013, 12:33:26 am »
new version available - details in the stickied thread

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2019, 12:42:07 am »
this thread should probably be long dead, but fwiw, the MAWLER Thread links to a new and updated version with support for the latest MAME and related files.