Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Custom Res for NEO-GEO  (Read 2975 times)

jdsony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 08:48:35 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Custom Res for NEO-GEO
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:33:42 pm »
This is probably a simple question. Basically I had Neo-Geo games working perfect using CRT_EmuDriver 6.5 and Mame then switched to Linux, wasn't happy, switched back and am using CRT_EmuDriver 6.5 again and Groovymame. Currently switchres wants to set Neogeo to 320x240. Previously I'm pretty sure I was using either 304x224 or 320x224 and adjusting with Arcade_OSD to eliminate the garbage on the border. I don't want to do this with 320x240 because it is a very widely used resolution and 320x224 is not showing up as a native or custom resolution in Arcade_OSD.

How do I get this resolution into the list (I'm surprised it isn't auto generated), and/or how can I force just neogeo games to use it?

Thanks.

jvlk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2013, 08:44:24 am
Re: Custom Res for NEO-GEO
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:18:11 pm »
Edit vmmaker.ini, and edit:

YresMin_XML = 224

Run vmmaker again and restart.....that should add your resolution.
Should also fix the capcom games.

jdsony

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 08:48:35 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:16:55 pm »
Thanks for the help, I had done that but then after reading some more I realized I needed to download VMMAKER again because I was only generating 37 modelines. I still had issues for about 20 minutes until I realized I hadn't rebooted, now I'm getting all the modelines I need.

:applaud:

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:12:07 pm »
This is probably a simple question. Basically I had Neo-Geo games working perfect using CRT_EmuDriver 6.5 and Mame then switched to Linux, wasn't happy, switched back and am using CRT_EmuDriver 6.5 again and Groovymame. Currently switchres wants to set Neogeo to 320x240. Previously I'm pretty sure I was using either 304x224 or 320x224 and adjusting with Arcade_OSD to eliminate the garbage on the border. I don't want to do this with 320x240 because it is a very widely used resolution and 320x224 is not showing up as a native or custom resolution in Arcade_OSD.

I'm not sure if this is related to your issues, but NeoGeo is an odd bird in that games often have extra "crap" on the sides that the arcade operator would push off-screen by adjusting the monitor settings.  If I recall correctly, there's an option in the MAME internal menu that allows you to show the screen with a black border around it that obscures the "crap".  I think there's also an option that crops the game screen, but it won't yield arcade-accurate results on an arcade monitor.  I thought there was a MAME FAQ about it, but I can't find it at the moment.

MORE INFO:

http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/MAME_0.122u4
David Haywood and Aaron Giles added a default layout to neogeo games allowing for either cropping or stretching to the alternate 304x224 layout. Removed default cropping in the driver.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard