Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fix-It Felix, Jr. Replica (Finished)  (Read 260997 times)

Bag of Magic Food

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2013, 08:55:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Fix-It Felix, Jr. Replica
« Reply #600 on: March 31, 2013, 09:09:42 pm »
I'm curious to know who hacked together Litwak's copy of Tapper.  The front is from the original Tapper, only with the Budweiser and Bally-Midway logos removed and the beer tinted to the color of root beer, while the side art is an all-new 3D rendition of the barkeeper as he appears in the movie.  The title screen is from Root Beer Tapper, but then the in-game graphics have been modified some; I'm just not familiar enough with the game to know how much.  There's a giant root beer mug in the upper corner, and... Aren't the characters in Tapper supposed to have outlines?  Did they just get blurred out from the view of the glowing screen, or did Disney make new, blockier graphics for everything so that the original Wreck-It Ralph and Peter Pepper sprites wouldn't look out of place?

And i wouldn't want my PAC-MAN to have a Restroom section in the game.
I'm more concerned by the fact that they use magic portals to connect the wraparound tunnel.  I feel that a tube arcing around the back would have done the job.  Maybe it's a boom tube?  :cheers:

Now I just wonder if the women's restroom existed in the game before Ms. Pac-Man.

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2014, 10:53:54 pm
  • Always Learning
« Reply #601 on: March 31, 2013, 09:37:21 pm »
back to the task at hand, has anyone attempted the cloud of dust during the building construction scene of the attract?
http://i2.wp.com/screencaps.us/201/2-wreck-it-ralph/full/wreck-it-ralph-disneyscreencaps.com-48.jpg

Bag of Magic Food

• Offline Offline
« Reply #602 on: April 01, 2013, 12:08:01 am »
Oh, wow, the way the movie did it is so much messier.  It almost looks like similar shapes copied everywhere, except they're not the exact same shapes, and there's no sense of alignment to any of it.

Here are a few frames from Jeremy Rutz's and MonsterFeetTV's videos of the real thing to get you started:

This time I'm pretty sure the cloud really is just one smaller cloud repeated four times exactly in a row, meaning you just have to trace the left and right edges to get this single shape for you to repeat.  It changes sizes in a 2-frame animation, though it may not be precisely synchronized with the movement up the building.  But it appears that the inner creases of the cloud don't change at all during the animation, so you should only have to trace those once!  So two outer shapes of white, one inner set of gray bits, and then you should just have to check everything's alignments with the building, and you're all set.

Tarman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2019, 04:38:29 pm
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #603 on: April 01, 2013, 10:20:22 am »
Clearly, Litwack's running bootlegs in his place.

HAHA!!  Awesome!!

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:56 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #604 on: April 01, 2013, 03:17:57 pm »
back to the task at hand, has anyone attempted the cloud of dust during the building construction scene of the attract?
http://i2.wp.com/screencaps.us/201/2-wreck-it-ralph/full/wreck-it-ralph-disneyscreencaps.com-48.jpg

Attempted..  It looks like it's the same cloud repeated 4 times.  The large cloud and small cloud have the same markings.

I gave it a shot, both files are there, but I'm not 100% satisfied.  I think they need to be cleaned up a little, but that should get us 80% of the way there.

They're in the crane and bulldozer folder.

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Always Learning
« Reply #605 on: April 01, 2013, 06:26:47 pm »

Attempted..  It looks like it's the same cloud repeated 4 times.  The large cloud and small cloud have the same markings.

I gave it a shot, both files are there, but I'm not 100% satisfied.  I think they need to be cleaned up a little, but that should get us 80% of the way there.

They're in the crane and bulldozer folder.

fantastic, I am off of work tomorrow so tonight i can finish up the cloud and get the (final?) sprite done... in the meantime, while there is still sun outside, i got to finish the woodwork on my fifj cabinet.

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #606 on: April 01, 2013, 08:19:52 pm »
Testing March 30 and I got hit by a brick just as I got the pie. Felix died but re-spawned as Super Felix. Is that supposed to be able to happen?

I am playing on my 33 inch Mitsubishi MegaView CRT with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. The music and sound effects are very good. Ralph’s pounding fist sound quite menacing and it adds to the ambiance of the game. The graphical details are great as well. Now that the pace has increased the game play has that classic easy to learn and difficult to master feel.  Great job everyone!   :applaud:

compujohn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2013, 09:41:12 pm
« Reply #607 on: April 01, 2013, 11:11:02 pm »
Interesting thread. I've built several Mame cabinets over the years.

How do I contact Sjaak via PM ?  When I click his name I get a
message saying I am not allowed to access this section.

Thanks,

John

Bag of Magic Food

• Offline Offline
« Reply #608 on: April 01, 2013, 11:20:36 pm »
I was stepping through the movie some more, and I'm starting to think that to save time, the animators simply drew the whole dust cloud freehand and scanned it into game-size pixels, then zoomed it to a slightly different size and scanned it into pixels again, as the inner creases do expand and contract with the outer edges.  If anyone's trying to copy these graphics for a movie-accurate game, remember that it turns into three smaller clouds at the very top, where the cloud on the right looks a lot like the cloud on the left, but again doesn't look perfectly identical.  For the dust clouds Ralph makes only in the movie, it's a little neater: The cloud on the right is an exact mirror of the cloud on the left, while the cloud in the middle is whatever the previous graphic for the cloud on the left was (that is, it's one frame behind in the cycle of animation), though these different-sized cloud animation frames are not simple re-sizes of one another.

I forgot to mention earlier, one last reason to believe the ducks weren't originally planned for Fix-It Felix, Jr. is this mock ad flyer for arcades:

Why wouldn't they want to mention a recurring enemy for one more feature of the game?  Even the Red Snifit got to tease us in the manual, and you don't even have to see that one to finish the game.  Forget Wreck-It Ralph; Duck-It Duck is the character who needs to seek out some "wreck-ognition" in a movie of his own!

Well, it was for the cabinet with the green-shirted Felix... This one's screwier, as it's got the new coloring on top, but the old style everywhere else, and it's even got an old graphics style on the screen!  (Looks like somewhere in the process of swapping Felix's shirt color with Mary's dress color, they also bleached everyone's skin... and added another button in place of the Nintendo logo.  Does the fan-made cabinet art use the new skin tone or the old one?)

I also find it amusing that Ralph is said to be twice as large as the machine that contains him.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:33:23 pm by Bag of Magic Food »

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Always Learning
« Reply #609 on: April 02, 2013, 12:36:09 am »
these cloud sprites are kicking my butt. they look "ok" im just not happy with them.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #610 on: April 02, 2013, 09:54:32 am »
I'm not trying to start a war here, but there are 2-3 of us working on the graphics in very limited spare time, and the one place we communicate is here.  Can we please keep the whole "Movie Version" of sprites conversation out of this thread?  It's making it confusing when attempting to communicate with others about creating/fixing sprites. 

We're using the attract videos and videos taken from Disney Quest to create the remaining missing sprites unless they are identical to the movie. 
 :soapbox:

snyggahelios

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2013, 03:42:35 am
  • Blasteroids MA cabinet
« Reply #611 on: April 02, 2013, 05:14:20 pm »
In the March 30 build when Ralph grabs the nicelander in the intro a grey line is shown to the right. Not sure if that is supposed to be there?

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #612 on: April 02, 2013, 05:20:37 pm »
probably not, I'd probably some artifact I left in the sprite because I was sloppy  :-\  I'll look at it.

*** EDIT*** I do see it.. It's NOT in my sprite as far as I can tell.

@SJAAK:  Take a look at when Gene is flailing his arms up and down after Ralph grabs him in the 03/30 build.  There's a definite gray line that shows up on the right of the Ralph/Gene combo.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:24:59 pm by nipsmg »

u72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2013, 07:38:47 am
« Reply #613 on: April 02, 2013, 05:33:14 pm »

Thanks,

John

yup same here - is there an introduce yourself section on here? :)

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #614 on: April 02, 2013, 05:37:30 pm »

Thanks,

John

yup same here - is there an introduce yourself section on here? :)

You guys don't enough posts to send PMs.
Also I'm pretty sure he's not distributing/needs testers any longer.
He said that a couple of pages back.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
« Reply #615 on: April 03, 2013, 10:19:35 am »
So with the addition of configurable keymapping in the .ini file does that mean we can map to a joystick, or is that just for keyboard mappings?  In other words, can I map Button1 of my joystick from within the .ini file?  If so, what are the standard labels in XP for those mappings?

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #616 on: April 03, 2013, 01:29:54 pm »
No.  The values in the INI are for mapping to keyboard keys using the standard .NET Keys enum.

I added a file called --IMPORTANT--ValidKeyValues.csv  in the Update Mar 26 folder that lists the valid values.

The string values are also available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.keys.aspx

Note: Capitalization matters.  Even for letters.  (All individual letters 'E', 'X', etc should be specified in upper case).

Sjaak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 05:21:26 pm
« Reply #617 on: April 03, 2013, 01:56:04 pm »
No.  The values in the INI are for mapping to keyboard keys using the standard .NET Keys enum.

I added a file called --IMPORTANT--ValidKeyValues.csv  in the Update Mar 26 folder that lists the valid values.

The string values are also available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.keys.aspx

Note: Capitalization matters.  Even for letters.  (All individual letters 'E', 'X', etc should be specified in upper case).

Exactly...

So with the addition of configurable keymapping in the .ini file does that mean we can map to a joystick, or is that just for keyboard mappings?  In other words, can I map Button1 of my joystick from within the .ini file?  If so, what are the standard labels in XP for those mappings?

Joystick support will be added when I start on the configuration screen. Why, you ask? Because every brand of joystick is identified by the system with a different name and then you have digital sticks (like a gamepad) and analog sticks and 10 different buttons. So it's not as easy as saying Up=JoyUp in the ini file. It's more likely something like Up=GamePad1.Thumbstick.Up which isn't very user friendly.

For now, Joy2Key is a good alternative.

Bag of Magic Food

• Offline Offline
« Reply #618 on: April 03, 2013, 03:15:36 pm »
Sometimes I wish Disney hadn't shown off so many slightly different renditions of the cabinet to confuse us, but at least I'm beginning to understand that they began as a series of photo-edits to stock pictures of real games: The Hero's Duty screen kept the "COST TO PLAY: $1.00" and "MONEY IN: $9.00" from the Terminator: Salvation ad, and I got a laugh out of the cheesily-edited "Mintenlo" logo over the Namco-styled "DISNEY" logo on an old Sugar Rush Speedway render.  Still, why didn't they use the final color scheme for Fix-It Felix, Jr. in the movie?  I saw that not only was Felix still in a green shirt, he still had a brown belt and purple hammer handle, which were both changed to bright yellow in the final. I also heard Felix's hammer whine before Moppet Girl had even walked up to the game, when it was only on the title screen--WHY:hissy:

I also went back and saw that the online version of Fix-It Felix, Jr. did remember to have the Nicelanders close the door behind them, so for only the real arcade game to leave that open is just--WHY:hissy:

Okay, I'm over it.  :)   But should I actually get a Dropbox thing to work on something, or will that not be necessary?

sandheaver

« Reply #619 on: April 03, 2013, 03:33:10 pm »
Sometimes I wish Disney hadn't shown off so many slightly different renditions of the cabinet

Well they didn't approach this with the ferocity that you guys are.  There was some official thought into the game, this is probably the movie version.  Then some contractor was hired, or some other Dept. within Disney was charged with creating the arcade games, and I'm sure they took some liberties, since very little gameplay is actually shown in the movie.  Etc.

Still, why didn't they use the final color scheme for Fix-It Felix, Jr. in the movie?

Different teams, different timelines, different opinions on design, and a lack of cohesion in the design, probably due to timelines & budget.

rrcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2019, 10:37:08 pm
« Reply #620 on: April 03, 2013, 03:45:04 pm »
I can run on laptop fine but when trying to put in cabinet which runs HS just fine I get the following message even after installing all required dx9.0, etc. files.
No suitable graphics card found could not fin a direct 3D device that supports the xna framework Reach profile. Verify that a suitable graphics device is installed make sure the desktop is not locked, and that no other application is running in full screen mode. Avoid running under remote desktop or as a windows service. Check the display properties to make sure hardware acceleration is set to full.

So has anyone else run into this? Do I really NEED a new graphics card or something?
Thanks

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #621 on: April 03, 2013, 03:50:19 pm »
I can run on laptop fine but when trying to put in cabinet which runs HS just fine I get the following message even after installing all required dx9.0, etc. files.
No suitable graphics card found could not fin a direct 3D device that supports the xna framework Reach profile. Verify that a suitable graphics device is installed make sure the desktop is not locked, and that no other application is running in full screen mode. Avoid running under remote desktop or as a windows service. Check the display properties to make sure hardware acceleration is set to full.

So has anyone else run into this? Do I really NEED a new graphics card or something?
Thanks

Yes, you need two of those new NVidia cards in SLI mode...just kidding  ;)

Did you run it from Hyperspin or from the desktop? If you ran it from Hyperspin, then Hyperspin was probably the other application running full screen.

What graphics card are you using and are the drivers up to date? Can you run the game windowed?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:00:32 pm by Sjaak »

rrcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #622 on: April 03, 2013, 04:01:43 pm »
No, Hyperspin isn't running, nothing else either. I just tried clicking on the executable and got the message above

rrcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #623 on: April 03, 2013, 04:24:09 pm »
Tried to run windowed and got same error message, the computer is an older P4 with onboard intel video, but I figure if it can run HS with no problems it should handle FIF right? If I try to find cheap graphics card do they list whether or not  they support xna? 

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #624 on: April 03, 2013, 04:41:16 pm »
Tried to run windowed and got same error message, the computer is an older P4 with onboard intel video, but I figure if it can run HS with no problems it should handle FIF right? If I try to find cheap graphics card do they list whether or not  they support xna?

It's not the power of speed of the graphics card that is the problem, but the directx support. The video card should support DirectX 9 or higher.

Updating your video drivers could help, but without knowing the exact type of the card, it's hard to say.

I think BUCKET got the game running on a P3 computer...

mrsinistar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2017, 04:39:28 am
  • End of Line
« Reply #625 on: April 03, 2013, 05:04:12 pm »
Great job, nipsmg, Slydsho and everyone else working on sprites!  You guys rock!!  Sjaak, your fall animation is absolutely epic!! :D  So glad you guys like the sound work so far.  I finished the jingle for fixing the last window so I'm going to upload that in a bit.

In other news, I finally got a Nintendo speaker for my cabinet and I soldered it to a sound amp that I took out of some cheap $8 speakers from Big Lots.  It works absolutely great :D

Also, after looking at the No Quarters video, where the guy opens up his real Fix it Felix cabinet and shows off the sound amp, I realized that I just happen to grab the EXACT same amp for my cabinet!!  The sound amp is from a Kinyo PA-116, so if you want the same audio amp that's in the FIFJr arcade machines, grab those speakers and you should be golden.

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Always Learning
« Reply #626 on: April 03, 2013, 05:45:24 pm »
thanks for the recognition, but i got to hand it to Sjaak..  :applaud:
just ran the game real quick during my lunch break, everything is coming together. it seems to play beautifully, all the sounds are amazing, the sprites look great, the animations are spot on. the "team" we got working on this is amazing, thank you guys for the hard work so far.  :cheers:

mrsinistar

• Offline Offline
  • End of Line
« Reply #627 on: April 03, 2013, 06:13:55 pm »
thanks for the recognition, but i got to hand it to Sjaak..  :applaud:
just ran the game real quick during my lunch break, everything is coming together. it seems to play beautifully, all the sounds are amazing, the sprites look great, the animations are spot on. the "team" we got working on this is amazing, thank you guys for the hard work so far.  :cheers:

Yes, you're absolutely right.  Sjaak, thanks so much for your hard work...the game really is playing beautifully.  I can't wait to hook it up to my control panel and play it with a real Nintendo joystick and pushbuttons :)

Yeah, I'm so glad everything's falling together in place...really glad how the whole game's shaping up, gameplay-wise, visually and aurally as well.  :applaud:

Just wanted to give Sjaak a heads up:  uploaded the "Fixed all windows" jingle to the sound library :)

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 07:31:52 pm
  • Don't hate the player .... Hate the Game
« Reply #628 on: April 03, 2013, 07:25:15 pm »
I just want to say, Surgeville and Myself were the ones that started cying out for this.
Then CoryBee came along and suggested we should approach Sjaak and see if he was willing to take this on?
I have to say, What i have seen from the start and TODAY (Bulldozer)  :notworthy:
Has totally exceeded my expectations.

Sjaak, you are truly a master of your craft. :cheers:
Thank you!

And to all you guys! For the Music and Sprites. Outstanding work.   :applaud:

Buckethead....
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:02:33 pm by BUCKETHEAD »

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 07:31:52 pm
  • Don't hate the player .... Hate the Game
« Reply #629 on: April 03, 2013, 07:39:01 pm »
The sound amp is from a Kinyo PA-116, so if you want the same audio amp that's in the FIFJr arcade machines, grab those speakers and you should be golden.

Sweet.
I will swing by my store tomorrow and pick up a few of these.
Thanks for the info!

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #630 on: April 03, 2013, 11:54:34 pm »
Crap.  I have the 115B model.  Wonder if it's the same amp.  I was planning on putting these into a barcade.

AJ

mrsinistar

• Offline Offline
  • End of Line
« Reply #631 on: April 03, 2013, 11:57:57 pm »
Crap.  I have the 115B model.  Wonder if it's the same amp.  I was planning on putting these into a barcade.

AJ

I pulled up a picture of one and it looks like the same button layout as the 116 except there's a headphone output.  Since the button layout and LED placement seems to be the same as the 116, I would assume they have the same amp. :)

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #632 on: April 04, 2013, 09:18:37 am »
@Sjaak / Slydsho -
Check \Dropbox\FixItFelixJr Beta\Level Win Sprites .  finished the "Kiss" and "Give Pie" Nicelander sprites.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #633 on: April 04, 2013, 10:25:59 am »
I bought them for a bartop build I haven't started yet.  Now my neighbor wants a full-size and wants to barter stained glass.  Wut?  :dunno  Apparently, building arcades isn't the only meaningless time-consumer out there.

Back on topic.....NOW!

AJ

I pulled up a picture of one and it looks like the same button layout as the 116 except there's a headphone output.  Since the button layout and LED placement seems to be the same as the 116, I would assume they have the same amp. :)

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #634 on: April 04, 2013, 10:35:38 am »

Exactly...

Joystick support will be added when I start on the configuration screen. Why, you ask? Because every brand of joystick is identified by the system with a different name and then you have digital sticks (like a gamepad) and analog sticks and 10 different buttons. So it's not as easy as saying Up=JoyUp in the ini file. It's more likely something like Up=GamePad1.Thumbstick.Up which isn't very user friendly.

For now, Joy2Key is a good alternative.
Ok, thanks.  That makes perfect sense and I was just wishful thinking on that one.  I am using Joy2Key with great success but I have a few issues with Joy2Key and Hyperspin/Mame so it is screwing with the rest of my setup.

By the way, the game is coming along awesomely.

Anyone try their hand at a hyperspin theme yet?  I tried making one but was not really pleased because most of my graphics were from movie scenes.  I noticed someone mentioned that they were working on one once in the hyperspin forum but then I haven't seen mention of it again.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #635 on: April 04, 2013, 01:31:52 pm »
Anyone try their hand at a hyperspin theme yet?  I tried making one but was not really pleased because most of my graphics were from movie scenes.  I noticed someone mentioned that they were working on one once in the hyperspin forum but then I haven't seen mention of it again.

I was looking for one as well and didn't see it.  With all the high-resolution graphics for side art, control panel, and Marquee out you'd think someone would create one.  I'd give it a shot but I have NO IDEA how to do it.

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Always Learning
« Reply #636 on: April 04, 2013, 01:51:20 pm »
At work so I cant check the drop box, but im sure the sprites look perfect. As for a Hyperspin theme, I can build one quick when I get home. Ill keep you guys posted.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #637 on: April 04, 2013, 02:33:55 pm »
At work so I cant check the drop box, but im sure the sprites look perfect. As for a Hyperspin theme, I can build one quick when I get home. Ill keep you guys posted.
You're like a machine.  Awesome  :afro: .

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Always Learning
« Reply #638 on: April 04, 2013, 03:18:20 pm »
while im at work, can anyone gather all the high res photos and put them in a new folder in dropbox for me?  save me from having to go digging for them later... the more the better on these graphics guys, i got a few elaborate ideas running through my head for a theme, hopefully i can bring them to life.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #639 on: April 04, 2013, 03:30:13 pm »
Just found this thread from mike boss on the forum.  I'll stick it in the dropbox folder.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,131257.0.html