Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FS: mini SLG 2X (scanline generator) (Colorado, USA)  (Read 175764 times)

CraftyMech

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 08:08:45 pm
  • I love the smell of solder in the morning...
    • craftymech.com
Re: FS: mini SLG (scanline generator) is available! (Colorado, USA)
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2013, 10:17:42 pm »
Awesome SP! Glad the updated design is working well with your MAME setups :)

To maximize compatibility will all types of setups, I've decided to start selling two versions of the mini SLG. They are identical in nearly every way except for slight circuit differences.
  • "PC" version for PC hardware running MAME and other emulators
  • "ARCADE" version for XX-in-1 multi-boards, vintage consoles, and original arcade hardware (a VGA upscaler such as the GBS-8200 is required for 15k RGB sources)
After some exhaustive testing, I've discovered the original design works best for dedicated hardware, and the new design works best for PC/MAME setups. So to allow the mini SLG to work with as many setups as possible I decided to start offering both versions. The new circuit boards are used in both cases, which allows me to speed up production.

If you are not sure which version to order, just ask and I'll get you squared away with the right units for your setups.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:01:38 pm by CraftyMech »
BitKit 8bit FPGA Multi - http://craftymech.com

1500points

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2013, 08:45:38 am »
Thank you for sending the spare silver connector for testing.  :)

OK, here is Joust with the black miniSLG plugged in directly to the D-sub port on the laptop going to a 19inch Dell.  I haven't yet figured out how to tone down the brightness/contrast/colors? to get the background to go completely black. (pics taken from iphone which aren't the best.)

the lines definitely soften the pixels of the ledges and bird so it has more of a painted effect, than hard pixel graphics.

the silver mini made the image look greenish.

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2013, 10:44:40 am »
I haven't yet figured out how to tone down the brightness/contrast/colors? to get the background to go completely black.

The mini SLG adds a small amount of brightness to the overall image, including the background. You should be able to adjust the monitor settings to get back to near black for the background, but it may not be possible to get pure black. I don't mind the effect myself, I've always found the straight black of LCDs to be one of the factors that makes the soft glow of CRT backgrounds more authentic.

From the scanline pattern, it looks like you are running @ 1024x768. If you get a chance, give 640@480 a try, the scanlines are more pronounced for low res games (like Joust) at that resolution.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:35:42 am by CraftyMech »

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2013, 11:33:07 am »
I've also updated the product description to note that at this time, the mini SLG is not compatible with the ArcadeSD or JROK Multi-Williams products. As soon as I can get my hands on those boards to test with, I can determine why and get the mini working with those boards as well. There is so much variety in hardware out there, but compatibility testing is a good excuse to own it all!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:41:59 am by CraftyMech »

dmarcum99

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2020, 12:02:36 am
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2013, 01:36:33 pm »
pm sent...I need one of these for a 60-in-1 bartop I'm going to build.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2013, 01:40:17 pm »
Just tested. the lowest I can go is 800x600 but the mini SLG doesn't create lines at that resolution.
Only seems to make lines when it is set to 1024 x 768

Adapter details:
Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
6/27/2088

UPDATE-
Tested in 60-1 setup- PAC-MAN LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!  but the main menu looks "washed out"
Tested in 19-1 setup- the main menu is very washed out, and the scan lines look "too fat".
So in the earlier test using the miniSLG with the 1024x768 MAME setup made Joust look closer to a real CRT, than the 19-1 board.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:35:40 pm by 1500points »

cmoses

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
FS: mini SLG (scanline generator) is available! (Colorado, USA)
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2013, 02:36:42 pm »
1500points,

You probably need to go to the advanced setting to list all of the available resolutions. Not in front if my computer so I can't give you exact directions but I think it's advanced setting and the list all modes. Take a look around in the resolution settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2013, 02:37:55 pm »
Yep that is correct, the mini SLG works with resolutions that have a negative vsync, which is primarily 640x480 and 1024x768. 800x600 uses a +vsync signal. Some users actually use that to thur advantage and set MAME front ends to run at 800x600 or 1280x1024 so the menu doesn't have scanlines, then run their games at 640x480 or 1025x768.

If you click on "advanced settings" from the Screen Resolutions dialog, and then "list all modes", often you'll see a 640x480 resolution (60hz) choice even though that mode doesn't show up in the basic settings dialog for screen resolutions.

Can you post a photo of the 60-in-1 menu screen? Does it look the same with the black & silver units I sent (same for the 19-in-1)?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:40:24 pm by CraftyMech »

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2013, 02:42:07 pm »
I wrote a long reply but it got erased when the post updated....
summary,  my laptop is fighting going lower than 800x600 without changing driver.
but per the prior test Joust looks a lot better with 1024x768 and the miniSLG than the 19-1 output.
If I could get the background on mame darkened up, it would be very nice setup.

Another question- where does one find long enough screws to hold that adapter in place and to the monitor cable? I can't think of a way to hold it secure.

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2013, 03:07:32 pm »
Some laptop hardware won't go down to 640x480 I've noticed, I guess some vendors just decided no one uses that resolution anymore.

I might just start including screws with all the units. They are not thumbscrews so you need a tiny screwdriver, but if you need strain relief for the connection they would do the job.

Tested in 60-1 setup- PAC-MAN LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!

Low res games really get a nice visual boost on an LCD with scan lines :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:17:15 pm by CraftyMech »

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2013, 03:22:07 pm »
yah, i can't say enough about how great pac-man looked. seemed like looking at a real display.

what is the size and pitch of the screws? I'm not sure if our hardware store with have them or not.

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2013, 03:38:13 pm »
You know what I'll do, I'll throw the set of screws in an envelope and mail them to you on Monday. They have a small lip on the shaft for retaining them in the adapter ends, and I don't thing you'll find anything similar at the hardware store.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2013, 03:44:40 pm »
what is the size and pitch of the screws?

I was curious so looked it up just now.  4-40 is the standard size to attach peripherals, including vga cables.

cmoses

• Offline Offline
FS: mini SLG (scanline generator) is available! (Colorado, USA)
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2013, 08:41:47 pm »
yah, i can't say enough about how great pac-man looked. seemed like looking at a real display.

what is the size and pitch of the screws? I'm not sure if our hardware store with have them or not.

Can you post some of your Pac-Man pics?  Is that from MAME or a xx-in-1?

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2013, 01:02:55 am »
I'm thinking about buying a 19-in-1 board for testing, and also since there are some nice Williams games on that board like Joust, Defender, and Robotron. How does the gameplay compare to a JROK multi Williams board?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:29:39 pm by CraftyMech »

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2013, 02:20:13 am »
My pacman looked just like the picture posted earlier in the thread. had that classic effect. it was the typical 60-1 board. the joust and berzerk pics were from MAME.

Aaron, the 19-1 board is based on old mame and the blitter is way way way far off of correct.  If you are looking for a quality Williams Robo/Joust experience you really need to get a JROK MW. He just posted that he is testing another small batch.
Defender plays ok on 19-1 but you get no settings like starting difficulty/wave progression/humanoid regeneration.

For those that like MAME, Sean R. completely re-wrote the blitter code (special chips that handle blit processing) and it'll be released during the v148 series. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:05:22 am by 1500points »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2013, 09:03:31 am »
You can talk specs of the XX-n-boards all day long but where to get them is against the house rulez.   :police:  Please move it along. 

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2013, 10:24:17 am »
19-1 vid from Joust and Mario Bros  (in person Mario Bros. looks great. Joust looks odd, not sure the video properly captures the effect)

60-1 vid from pacman, DK, Galaga, Arkanoid, DigDug, everything looks fine during gameplay especially DK and pacman.

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2013, 12:31:50 pm »
Thanks for the reminder Le Chuck, I forgot about that. Updated my post to better fit 1500's thoughts about the 19-in-1 vs. JROK Multi Williams. :)

And to that point, I guess I'd better get in line for a JROK board, doesn't sound like the 19-in-1 is really worth it.

PS - Just took a look at the BYOAC 2012 Hardware of the Year category, and it looks like the mini SLG might have captured the top spot :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:34:10 pm by CraftyMech »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2013, 12:33:14 pm »
Thanks for the reminder Le Chuck, I forgot about that. Updated my post to better fit 1500's thoughts about the 19-in-1 vs. JROK Multi Williams. :)

And to that point, I guess I'd better get in line for a JROK board, doesn't sound like the 19-in-1 is really worth it.

Oh, by the way, you won in the hardware category.  Congratulations!

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2013, 12:36:51 pm »
Wahoo! :) This project has been a real labor of love for me, I've lost count of the hours I've put in over the last few months testing, and trying to fix issues to make the mini SLG as compatible as possible with all the different hardware out there. All told I think I've made a couple hundred bucks, so I'm definitely not in it for the money!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2013, 12:38:07 pm »
You can now add a sticker that says "Winner, 2012 UCA Awards"  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2013, 01:47:24 pm »
PM sent for order. Looks like a great product with wonderful reviews!

cmoses

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2013, 10:44:05 pm »
I got my mini SLG on Friday but did not get a chance to test it out until this weekend.  I hooked it up and was very impressed with how well it works.  The scan lines look really amazing and make the games look very authentic on my 19" Dell monitor, it is a 1905FP.  The only downside is that I am experiencing a big increase in brightness.  I test it in both 640x480 and 1024x768 and it is occuring in both.  The 640x480 looks much better on my monitor so that is what I am running MAME in.  I am using the monitor for a cocktail cabinet so it is being used vertically but the Dell 1905FP has viewing angles of 170 degrees.  I do not have any issues when I unplug the mini SLG and just run the video without the scanlines.  The image is very good and the black backgrounds are solid black.

When I use the mini SLG it takes the black backgrounds and kind of makes them more grayish.  I turned down the brightness on the monitor but it did not seem to make much of a difference.  I also tried adjusting the brightness through the video card settings in windows and also through MAME itself.  Thorugh the video card setting and through MAME I can get the backgrounds to be darker and more black, but in doing so, it dims the rest of the display as well.

The video card I am using is a nVidia 9400GT.  As a test I took out the video card and used the on board Intel chipset.  This appeared to be a little darker than the nVidia was but the black backgrounds were still very grayish.  I think 1500points was reporting a similar issue.  I am trying to figure out the best way to optimize the black backgrounds.  I do not need them to be 100% pure black but I would like them to be darker but not effect the other colors.  I am wondering if it is the video card, the driver, the monitor or some combination of them.

Is anyone else out there using the mini SLG with an nVidia card?  I really liked the picture that CraftyMech posted showing the Donkey Kong scan line comparission screens.  The black looked really good.  I will be trying a different monitor later this week when I can borrow a friends for testing.  I have a piece of tinted plexi that came with the cocktail cabinet that I am converting to MAME.  I have tested with this layed over the monitor and it helps a little bit with the black levels, but once again darkens the whole screen so I don't think that it is the best option either.  I will continue to see if I can figure anything out.  If you have used the mini SLG with nVidia and have had better luck with the black levels let me know what card and driver you are using.  I would also be curious to know about ATI cards and how they are with the brightness. 

I am very pleased with the mini SLG and how well it works, I just need to see if I can tweak it to get the best black levels and still maintain the vibrant colors. 

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:57:34 pm by cmoses »

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:46 pm »
The photo comparison I posted of Donkey Kong was taken running Mame on a Nvidia Ion chipset (Acer Aero loaned courtesy of ChopperDog) and a Samsung SyncMaster 740N LCD. I've been watching eBay to try and snag a Dell LCD or other similar brand as well for testing.

Let me know how the other LCD monitor works out, that will be a big help to know if the brightness increase is more effected by changing video cards (as you tried with the on-board video), or by changing monitors. In the meantime, if I come up with something for you to try out with your driver settings, I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:28:11 pm by CraftyMech »

Chiefcob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 01:38:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2013, 03:16:38 am »
Hey mate
Im after one of your mini-slg's how much does it cost to send it to New Zealand mate?

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2013, 10:21:40 am »
Hey mate
Im after one of your mini-slg's how much does it cost to send it to New Zealand mate?

Hey Chiefcob, the shipping cost for New Zealand would be $12 USD. If you send me an email to orders@craftymech.com, I will get a PayPal invoice sent out to you.

thanks!
Aaron

Chiefcob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 01:38:43 pm
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2013, 08:29:15 pm »
I'm looking at buying an LCD monitor for my arcade machine and have come a across a Dell 22 inch with a native resolution of 1680x1050 how well do you think this will work with the mini-slg?

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2013, 09:31:09 pm »
I'm looking at buying an LCD monitor for my arcade machine and have come a across a Dell 22 inch with a native resolution of 1680x1050 how well do you think this will work with the mini-slg?

1680x1050 is a ~16:9 aspect ratio, and traditionally a 4:3 aspect ratio has been preferred for MAME. However, l know a number of forum members do use 16:9 LCDs, so maybe one of them can chime in for how that aspect ratio works with MAME.

In terms of the mini SLG, I've found that 640x480 looks great on 1280x1024 native resolution LCDs. I've had users who have also had good luck with 1024x768 native res LCDs, as that is one of the two supported resolutions for the mini SLG (640x480 & 1024x768).

Basically what determines if scanlines look their best is if the display resolution (640x480 or 1024x768) will upscale evenly in the vertical dimension to the native resolution of the monitor. "Even" upscaling means that every other line of the display will be a perfect scanline, whereas if the mode scales unevenly, there will be a slight banding effect, sort of like a three legged race from top to bottom of the screen.

So unfortunately without actually having a 1680x1050 to test with, I can't say for sure how scanlines will look on that monitor. Hopefully a mini SLG user who has a 16:9 LCD can chime in and let us know.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:47:15 pm by CraftyMech »

cmoses

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2013, 10:32:07 am »
Let me know how the other LCD monitor works out, that will be a big help to know if the brightness increase is more effected by changing video cards (as you tried with the on-board video), or by changing monitors. In the meantime, if I come up with something for you to try out with your driver settings, I'll let you know.

Craftymech,

Wow I have learned a lot about LCD monitors and viewing angles in the last couple of days.  I got the Viewsonic test monitor from a friend and was initially very pleased when I did a quick test.  The monitor was in it's horizontal position and the blacks looked very solid, similar to what was shown in the Donkey Kong comparison.  I had tested the Dell uncased and rotated vertically on my test bench and leaned back at about a 45 degree angle.  Well when I did the same thing with the Viewsonic I noticed it was brighter as well.  I went back to the Dell and discovered that it is a little brighter but still had good black backgrounds when viewed from directly overhead.  Most of my cabinet cosmetic work is done so I am now able to test using the cabinet.  I first put the Viewsonic in since it was a little darker.  When viewed rotated and laid down as it would be in the cocktail cabinet the picture was brighter and a little washed out.  I attribute the washed out image to it's viewing angles, they are not as good as the Dell's.  I tried the same thing with the Dell and once again viewed at the angle was brighter but did not have the washed out look that the Viewsonic did, better viewing angles on the Dell.  I tried adjusting the brightness on the monitor, in the nVidia settings and also in MAME and non of them really helps.  They seem dim the image but not the scan lines.  I put the tinted plexiglass over the Dell and that did help the brightness and did not affect the rest of the image.

So after a bit of trial and error I think I will be using the Dell and some tinted plexiglass.  This seems to be the best combination.  I may even try to find some darker tinted glass to see how that works.  So it seems that viewing angles as well as viewing it from a horizontal or vertical orientation make a huge difference in the monitors.

I also noticed some other issues.  When I did not use the mini SLG, the monitors would show as Plug n Play in the device manager.  When I put the mini SLG in the mix, the monitor would change to Default Monitor.  So it seems to be affecting how the computer sees the monitor.  Also anytime I put the monitor at refresh rate of 70Hz the screens would have a blue tint to them.  This was true at any resolution. 

Craftymech - if you need more specifics or some pictures of any of the above let me know and I can see what I can do to get you the information.

I just wanted to mention that the mini SLG is working fine and I really think it does an excellent job.  The issues are with LCD's and their viewing angles which differ from each monitor and manufacturer.  I would be curious to see if the same thing happened with a IPS monitor which I think are only available in 20" versions.  They are supposed to have the best viewing angles. 

I ended up playing on the cocktail a little bit last night with the Dell and the tinted plexiglass in place.  I was just running through testing the HyperSpin cocktail theme and a few games in MAME.  After a few games, I stopped noticing the brightness issue and was really enjoying the cabinet.  It's not even near done at this point, I was just playing everything on the keyboard. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:17:56 pm by cmoses »

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2013, 12:08:55 pm »
Thanks cmoses for the detailed writeup of your testing, the information really helps me to understand the background brighting you were describing.

Viewing Angles:

That makes sense that viewing at an angle would brighten the background, if there was already a bit of brightness present. The better the monitor is able to handle different viewing angles, the less you will notice the brighting of the background. So I would imagine on an IPS monitor there would be no difference.

One of test LCDs (Samsung 17") has a small bit of background brightness, and isn't good at all with angles. I leaned it back about thirty degrees this morning, and I could see the increase you described from your testing.

PNP:

I think the monitor identification is related to two ID pins that are usually shown NC (not connected) in VGA wiring specifications, but are used by Windows for PNP. In my current design, those pins are not passed through the mini, so I'll need to take a look and see if wiring those pins restores the PNP ability of Windows to detect the monitor.

70Hz Refresh:

I should probably add to the instructions that the refresh rate should be 60hz for both 640x480 & 1024x768. The issue is the vsync signal, and it needs to have negative polarity. I've had good luck with 70hz for both modes on my equipment, but the implementation could vary across video drivers. 60hz will work across the board though.

However, I'm going to test out something today with custom modes. I'll experiement by cloning 1024x768 @ 75hz, and see how changes to sync polarity work with the mini.

Great though that you are enjoying how the mini SLG works with your setups now that you've found the monitor you want to use in your project. Looking forward to seeing the finished build, do you have a project thread here in the forums?

I was experimenting last night with my xbox 360 and a cheapie VGA cable adapter + mini SLG. Rtype classic looked great with scanlines on my 32" LCD TV. I never thought of using the mini this way, but some of my users have been hooking up classic consoles like the SNES to LCD TVs, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm going to keep working on making the mini as compatible as I can with as much hardware as possible. I will be opening a sales thread over on Shumps shortly, and the user base over there leans more towards consoles & pcbs. No doubt I will learn a lot about all the varied upscaler hardware used by that crowd, so it should be interesting!

cmoses

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2013, 01:17:02 pm »
CraftyMech,

Here is the link to my project page here on BYOAC

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,122962.msg1305970.html#msg1305970

60Hz works great for the mini SLG.  The 70Hz issue I actually ran across when I first plugged in the mini SLG. I run my desktop at 1280x1024@75Hz. HyperSpin also runs in this mode. I launched HyperSpin then went into MAME, which I have running at 640x480@60Hz.  It launched and then I plugged in the mini SLG to see the scan lines. When I exited out of MAME back to HS my monitor had the blue tint. The monitor was now at 1280x1024@70Hz. It changed because it went from Plug n Play to Default. Once I set it at 75hz on default it was ok.

Does the mini SLG work on a CRT screen?  I would assume it would. I have a 19" CRT computer monitor that I have also been considering using in the cocktail cabinet.  Have you tried the mini SLG on a CRT?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:18:54 pm by cmoses »

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2013, 01:43:15 pm »
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

The mini SLG works great with CRTs, the second picture in my first post of this thread is from a SNK MVS board + miniSLG, on a 14" CRT. I have a 10" CRT that I'm looking at using perhaps for a MAME bartop, and although the tube is small, the scanline effect looks great.

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2013, 02:12:49 pm »
In a somewhat related topic, one problem I've always had with the 60-in-1 boards is that the v-position of the VGA signal tends to be offset. On both my CRTs, and my 17" Samsung LCD, the picture is pushed off the bottom of the screen by default, and the v-position control of the monitors can just barely get the image above the bottom fold. Has anyone else ran into this with XX-in-1 multiboards?

I finally got around to addressing the problem and developed an adjustable v-position circuit that fixes the issue. Basically by adjusting a trim pot, the VGA signal is offset up/down, providing an external v-position control independent from the display.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2013, 03:15:51 pm »
I have experienced that with some computer CRT's. With the few LCD's I have tried, the auto correct feature seems to fix itself. Even on older LCD's

Where did you install the pot? Very interesting. 
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

happyArcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2013, 07:04:39 pm
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2013, 02:58:39 pm »
Hello, I would like to purchase 2 arcade mini slg.
Please let me know how to proceed.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2013, 03:46:00 pm »
here is an odd scan line thing- noticed in Wreck It Ralph during the section where they leave the meeting at the Pacman maze. It appears they have the pacman scan lines going horizontal across the maze.  Shouldn't those be vertical?  ;)

happyArcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2013, 07:04:39 pm
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2013, 04:03:13 pm »
Hello I am interested to purchase two arcade mini slg.

Please let me know how.

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2013, 05:30:48 pm »
I have experienced that with some computer CRT's. With the few LCD's I have tried, the auto correct feature seems to fix itself. Even on older LCD's

Where did you install the pot? Very interesting. 

The trim pot is part of a phase shift circuit for the H-sync signal. Delaying the H-sync signal relative to the V-sync, allows the adjustment of the v-position.

Hello I am interested to purchase two arcade mini slg.

Please let me know how.

PM sent!

here is an odd scan line thing- noticed in Wreck It Ralph during the section where they leave the meeting at the Pacman maze. It appears they have the pacman scan lines going horizontal across the maze.  Shouldn't those be vertical?  ;)

Nice catch!

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2013, 12:20:10 am »
I want to give a heads up that due to an increase in production costs, the single unit price for the mini SLG will be increasing to $20 on Monday, March 4th. The multi pack pricing will be adjusted accordingly.

I have also started shipping the locking screws with every unit, uninstalled (they pop into place in the adapter ends with a firm push). They are not very user friendly, but many people have asked for them to be included, so I decided to provide them for everyone.

Thanks to everyone for your support, I am a couple units away from 100 sold!