Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newb needs help with building my own BBHPro/Open season  (Read 979 times)

Alphacowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2013, 08:20:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Newb needs help with building my own BBHPro/Open season
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:16:07 pm »
Ok, I really need help with building my own Big Buck Hunter cab.  I need it to be slim, as I dont have a lot of room to fit the unit.  I have an OEM gun, HDD's and even the OEM Motherboard from a BBH/Pro unit.  I do not have the I/O board... and am having trouble finding it.  The other issue is that by a few members here, that LCD/DLP(projection)/LED TV's are out with these systems and that a CRT monitor is my only option.  Is there a work around for that or am I SOL?  I do have a 19" Sony Trinitron Monitor, but what fun would that be, way to small.  I have a 36" CRT TV that has Component inputs and I have the DB-15 to Component adapter but not sure if that would work either.

My biggest problem at this point is that the I/O board seems to be almost impossible to find.  Its listed as a Jamma board in the schematics, and there is also a "watchdog" board in the drawings I have seen.  Anyone please, got any idea where to go from here.   I started a post about a "Large Screen BBH" in new project builds, but from what I gathered there, those dreams are probably not going to happen with the technology I have available.   I'm new to this, but not PCs and electronics.  Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!

Matt

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:14:16 pm
Re: Newb needs help with building my own BBHPro/Open season
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:51:54 pm »
In your other thread, you mentioned the ones at Bass Pro Shops.
I've played the ones at Cabela's and they us IR guns, so some type of interface for the IR guns must exist.
...but I don't have any info on it  :-\

You could ditch the original hardware, use a PC, & retrofit the gun with an Ulitmarc AimTrak IR gun.
Then run the PC versions of hunting games as well as those emulated in MAME and Demul.
Don't remember all the supported games off the top of my head, but I will post them later if I get a chance.

The tracking on IR guns isn't quite as accurate as a true light gun that works on a CRT monitor.
It especially drives me nuts on the hunting games, but if you are willing to use the onscreen crosshairs instead of relying soley the gun sites, it works.
(It ruins the fun for me)

My old emulator PC setup consists of a 32" TV and Act Labs S-video guns.
They aren't made anymore, but they pop up on ebay every once in a while.
You could move the guts from one into your rifle and use it with the 36" CRT if it has an S-vid input.