Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Marry X-mass. Heres a gift for open emu all us Mac user.  (Read 1496 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 04:36:20 pm
  • Never grow up.
Marry X-mass. Heres a gift for open emu all us Mac user.
« on: December 25, 2013, 03:04:14 am »
I'll let mac rumors lay out the back story.

"OpenEmu 1.0, an open source project designed to bring game emulation to OS X, has officially launched following a lengthy beta testing period. Though there are other emulator options for OS X, OpenEmu has been designed from the ground up for OS X." http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/23/os-x-console-emulator-openemu-1-0-launches/

I like it. Go give it a try!
http://openemu.org
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:12:32 am by Locke141 »

s_busby_uk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2017, 02:28:51 pm
Re: Marry X-mass. Heres a gift for open emu all us Mac user.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 11:24:12 am »
I'd forgotten about this project! Thanks for bringing it back to my attention - looks nice.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 07:46:47 am »
YES!!! This looks awesome! I can't wait to try it out after work. If this could be controlled by a controller/encoder and booted into full screen mode, it would scream Mac mini powered arcade machine! Love the interface.

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:46:48 pm »
Wow this is great news, can't wait till MAME  and FBA are added!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:20:30 pm by Bender »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 11:37:49 pm »
YES!!! This looks awesome! I can't wait to try it out after work. If this could be controlled by a controller/encoder and booted into full screen mode, it would scream Mac mini powered arcade machine! Love the interface.

I'm using an Early 2009 Mini for my build. Yes, i know it's boot camped to Windows 7, and yes I am constantly being called an "Apple Fanboy" by just about everyone that knows me. I even worked for Apple for a couple years. But the sad truth is: If you want a nice clean custom look and feel to your build, then OS X just can't be hacked and slashed enough to make this worth it.  Its kinda funny, due to how rock solid and secure OS X is If you want to do things like shell your front end you can't use OS X. Most of the popular front ends and smaller arcade utilities don't have OS X equivalents, or if they do they lack some of the features and benefits of the Windows equivalents.

Hardware wise there really is no equal to a decent MacMini for a MAME cab. They are quiet, small form factor, and have very low power usage. Pop 4gb+ RAM into a 2009 or newer model and you're golden for most performance needs. The Pre-Unibody ones even still have Mini DVI on the back so connecting one of CraftyMech's SLG's to it work like a dream. I can only imagine how well one would work in a bartop or any of the other small form factor styles.

I agree that this is a HUGE, and monumentally bad ass step in the right direction for Mac users. But thats just it, a step. OS X will never be sh*tty enough to be able to bypass/Hack/Mod/cheaply develop for this pipe cleaner and popsicle stick hobby.  And maybe one day soon we'll have an all-in-one amazing Emulator/FrontEnd/LEDblinkyStyle/DOSBox/ App that is "Apple intuitive", lightweight, and stable so that all these current Gen MacMini's (and maybe even one of the new cylinder MacPros) can find a second life inside a project cab.   ;D

I'm damn surprised no one has used an iMac and built a minimalistic pedestal arcade....   hmmmmm.