Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: To repair or recreate, that is the question of the Galaxy.  (Read 11364 times)

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: To repair or recreate, that is the question of the Galaxy.
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 04:44:04 pm »
    Jennifer happens to have a Galaxy restoration in her kitchen, And in defense to MTPPC, Its been a long, long search for parts, The machine is itself is not so hard to find and seems like a good deal at their low prices, but the people who own them know the problems and lack of parts available, So 8 years and 3 parts machines later, mine still sits...Waiting.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 04:53:40 pm »

I bet there's a transformer to be found in a pile of three parts machines.   >:D

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2013, 12:26:55 am »

I bet there's a transformer to be found in a pile of three parts machines.   >:D
  Yes, but those are pretty easy to find (about 70.00us on average), There is a interesting  history on the Galaxy however, one of which is there were 2 playfields made for her, One was a lighter shade of blue down on the bottom art, No big deal you might think but on its sister ( a darker blue) there was some parts that are quite rare, (only on some of them) And the placement was off a bit and the kickout hole was modifeid during its second production run... Im thinking the Op diddnt and still doesnt know what he had, also was not looking for a fix it or not opinion , This thread moved way too fast, It was gutted and built as a vid before any real parts could have been properly searched and shipped.

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:09:00 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2013, 04:11:09 pm »
    Jennifer happens to have a Galaxy restoration in her kitchen, And in defense to MTPPC, Its been a long, long search for parts, The machine is itself is not so hard to find and seems like a good deal at their low prices, but the people who own them know the problems and lack of parts available, So 8 years and 3 parts machines later, mine still sits...Waiting.
Off topic, but why does Jennifer refer to herself in the 3rd person?
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2013, 05:40:52 pm »
    You question Jenns sanity ???... Im not the one who chopped up a restorable stern pin.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2013, 06:47:05 pm »
Yes, but those are pretty easy to find (about 70.00us on average),

And yet it's the main reason he parted out this game.  Because he couldn't find one immediately.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2013, 06:49:43 pm »
    You question Jenns sanity ???... Im not the one who chopped up a restorable stern pin.

LOL! I don't know much about pins, but I too think he could have spent a little more time searching for parts. He obviously wasn't too concerned about cost, as 3 LCD tv's aren't exactly cheap.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2013, 08:19:16 pm »

LOL! I don't know much about pins, but I too think he could have spent a little more time searching for parts. He obviously wasn't too concerned about cost, as 3 LCD tv's aren't exactly cheap.
Or I could have had the dead horse sitting in my kitchen for eight years while I shotgunned parts at it like the "expert" bad-mouthing me in third person.

I really posed the question to see if somebody would say, "I have one of those transformers I could lend/sell/give you." Look at the dates. No one stepped up to help and I'm not going to store a broken POS hoping that the parts I need fall out of a tree and hit me in the head. In the last 12 months, I've built, repaired and/or flipped 16 arcade machines and 3 pinball simulators. No. I really don't have an interest in "saving" machines when I don't have a place to store them for years on end. In fact, I'm getting ready to restore an Ikari warriors, MAME a golden tee, 60-in-one a strykers 1945, strip a Nintendo Super System and flip an original Sega Turbo before summer. Do I have your approval?
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

Nephasth

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2013, 08:58:31 pm »
You need to quit buying coin op machines.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2013, 02:06:42 am »
     Well heres the thing MTPPC, I Was not bad mouthing you.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:21:52 pm by jennifer »

ViriiGuy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2020, 12:30:46 pm
  • Terminus clone build in progress.
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 11:26:08 am »
Hey MTPPC,

i have been in exactly the same boat as you. Lesson to be learned from this, ifyou are going to gut a cabinet, do not tell anyone. Jsut do it and say you got it that way. I started down the AWESOME!! Road of Vpin by buying a Flash. It was CHEAP!!! And in great shape, btu had a HOST of problems. I started by posting I planned to gut it, did anyone want to buy parts... I got reamed. So I spent 3 months trying to fix it.. and I have considerable knowledge of Pins and electronics.

I couldn't fix it, so I sold it for what I had in it and proceeded to spend $5k building the biggest badest Vpin I could, in a Custome Mameman Pin2K Cabinet :)

Take what is being said in this thread with broad shoulders and learn from it. Chances ar eyou will build another Vpin before it is over. Next time, if you gut a cabinet.. don't tell anyone, just do it. Part it out and make a few bucks on it. No one seems to care when folks part out pins on RPG... Why? Cause they never show them how good the pin looked before they gutted it.

As for the rest of you, give the guy a break. This is a friggin MAME forum :)

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2013, 11:42:18 am »
Hey MTPPC,

i have been in exactly the same boat as you. Lesson to be learned from this, ifyou are going to gut a cabinet, do not tell anyone. Jsut do it and say you got it that way. I started down the AWESOME!! Road of Vpin by buying a Flash. It was CHEAP!!! And in great shape, btu had a HOST of problems. I started by posting I planned to gut it, did anyone want to buy parts... I got reamed. So I spent 3 months trying to fix it.. and I have considerable knowledge of Pins and electronics.

I couldn't fix it, so I sold it for what I had in it and proceeded to spend $5k building the biggest badest Vpin I could, in a Custome Mameman Pin2K Cabinet :)

Take what is being said in this thread with broad shoulders and learn from it. Chances ar eyou will build another Vpin before it is over. Next time, if you gut a cabinet.. don't tell anyone, just do it. Part it out and make a few bucks on it. No one seems to care when folks part out pins on RPG... Why? Cause they never show them how good the pin looked before they gutted it.

As for the rest of you, give the guy a break. This is a friggin build your own MAME forum :)
FTFY   emphasis mine

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2013, 11:47:19 am »
I was thinking the same thing, Eric.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2013, 02:29:47 pm »
I got the final speakers installed and moved the machine from my workshop to the den. For now the Virtual Galaxy is complete:

I'm using it every day.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2013, 02:36:51 am »
Does the "playfield" monitor slope down front to back, or is it just me?

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:47 am »
The playfield sits about level so it is right at the glass at the lockbar and about 2.5" down at the far end. On my last project I used the same tv in a similar setup, but I left it tight to the glass the whole way. I think it adds to the illusion of depth a little, but it's not a dramatic difference. It's really a tradeoff between a little better viewing angle and the illusion of depth. I really don't have a preference other than the ability to add flashers at the back of the playfield seems a nice benefit of sinking the monitor..

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2013, 05:46:00 pm »
Well, I have to say, that even as low of cash as Ive had over the years... when my  Sega Turbo started wanting working parts,
and the game is a sadly undervalued at $200...  I still didnt have the heart to mame it.  Its a great playing game, and a historic classic.

If mame would only step up its input accuracy, Id at least be able to know that in the future, if the PCB dies, I could use the original
optical controls.   Sadly, I dont think mame allows the ability to use optical pedal inputs yet...   :'(

Anyways, as much as Im not a huge Stern fan.... over the years of playing REAL physical pinball, and learning the tricks like
bumping, and vector manipulations...  Ive realized that no Virtual table can replace the real experience.   I have played virtual
pinball on the pc, and its nice for what it is... but its about 1/100th of the real experience.

Ive also played one of the Virtual Pinball tables at a show.  It was so pale in comparison to all the wonderful Real pins there.
Even the Old Electrical Mechanical machines were more fun to play than that Pile of Garbage.

What amazes me, are people willing to trash these things and turn them into that.  Its like Taking a Ferrari that needs some work...
then taking out all the Engine and performance parts... and putting a Chevy Cavalier engine and parts into it.  >.<

Why not just get some plywood and custom build a coffin box?   Hack some curbed furniture?  Use some free Pallets?

I surely wouldnt announce myself mameing any machine..   and in fact, games which were getting too expensive to fix, I just
resold off as-is.   Generic conversion garbage, is another story.   But even the worst real Pins, are so much more valuable than
most Video cabinets.

You can pretty much have mame recreate the exact experience, note for note.. to the point where you couldnt tell a real
cabs innards from a PC.  But with Pinball.. you just cant.   Even the BEST virtual tables, with the Analog systems... just
dont even come within Miles of the Mark.

Please do yourself and this world a favor, and visit a Pinball show.  Play at collectors houses.  Learn how to work the ball on the table with bumping. (the single most important gameplay feature in Pinball)   Get to realize the real value of real Physical Pinball machine.

Almost anything is restorable..  and so if you have something that you dont feel is worth it... give your opportunity to someone else
whom doesnt care about the costs.   Many of them might have an empty shell for you.  But at minimum, they will usually come up with
the cash to recover your losses... and or get you a profit, making the cabinet project that much closer to fruition.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2013, 08:22:03 pm »
Well, I have to say, that even as low of cash as Ive had over the years... when my  Sega Turbo started wanting working parts,
and the game is a sadly undervalued at $200...  I still didnt have the heart to mame it.  Its a great playing game, and a historic classic.

If mame would only step up its input accuracy, Id at least be able to know that in the future, if the PCB dies, I could use the original
optical controls.   Sadly, I dont think mame allows the ability to use optical pedal inputs yet...   :'(

Anyways, as much as Im not a huge Stern fan.... over the years of playing REAL physical pinball, and learning the tricks like
bumping, and vector manipulations...  Ive realized that no Virtual table can replace the real experience.   I have played virtual
pinball on the pc, and its nice for what it is... but its about 1/100th of the real experience.

Ive also played one of the Virtual Pinball tables at a show.  It was so pale in comparison to all the wonderful Real pins there.
Even the Old Electrical Mechanical machines were more fun to play than that Pile of Garbage.

What amazes me, are people willing to trash these things and turn them into that.  Its like Taking a Ferrari that needs some work...
then taking out all the Engine and performance parts... and putting a Chevy Cavalier engine and parts into it.  >.<

Why not just get some plywood and custom build a coffin box?   Hack some curbed furniture?  Use some free Pallets?

I surely wouldnt announce myself mameing any machine..   and in fact, games which were getting too expensive to fix, I just
resold off as-is.   Generic conversion garbage, is another story.   But even the worst real Pins, are so much more valuable than
most Video cabinets.

You can pretty much have mame recreate the exact experience, note for note.. to the point where you couldnt tell a real
cabs innards from a PC.  But with Pinball.. you just cant.   Even the BEST virtual tables, with the Analog systems... just
dont even come within Miles of the Mark.

Please do yourself and this world a favor, and visit a Pinball show.  Play at collectors houses.  Learn how to work the ball on the table with bumping. (the single most important gameplay feature in Pinball)   Get to realize the real value of real Physical Pinball machine.

Almost anything is restorable..  and so if you have something that you dont feel is worth it... give your opportunity to someone else
whom doesnt care about the costs.   Many of them might have an empty shell for you.  But at minimum, they will usually come up with
the cash to recover your losses... and or get you a profit, making the cabinet project that much closer to fruition.
Thank you for your great effort to set me straight. Sadly, you are wrong in just about every thing you said. It's obvious that you have not played on a state-of-the-art simulator and your prejudiced ideas are a product of ignorance and/or inexperience.

Check this out. It's incredible:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:24:08 pm by MTPPC »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2013, 01:39:01 pm »

Did you really run a power cord into the side of the cabinet?

MTPPC

• Offline Offline

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2013, 03:07:14 pm »

Doesn't matter what you used.  The connection looks fine.  I just can't figure out the logic of putting that into the side of the cabinet instead of the bottom.