Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1974 Williams Triple Action  (Read 6254 times)

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:28:47 pm
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
1974 Williams Triple Action
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:23:19 am »
Looking at a 1974 Williams pin for sale locally. Paint on the cabinet is as expected for it's age, the rubbers are dry-rotted, will need some bulbs replaced and will need fitted with new locks. Everything else seems to function (as far as I can tell) as it should, including the bumpers, drop targets and flippers. Now, taking that into consideration, what would be a fair price for this machine? Looking at the price guide pinned at the top, the price shows anywhere from $75 - $950. Seems like a broad range for pricing, so hoping somebody can explain the differences or narrow it down some.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:57:57 pm by SlammedNiss »
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
Re: Looking at my first pin. What should I pay?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:15:31 am »
If the playfield artwork is in good condition and the score reels reset fully I wouldn't pay more than $200-$250 for it...

Offer him $100 'Cash In Hand'   ;) ;)

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 02:49:05 pm »
Well, they are asking $300 which is why I was asking. If they're really worth up to $900, then I thought buying it and throwing a bit of time and money into would be worth it. Really want a pin, just don't want to overpay for it. And yes, playfield looked good, although a bit dusty, and the score reels worked just fine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:33:26 pm by SlammedNiss »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:55:38 pm »
IF you want it and like the game, $300 for a working EM is not that bad.  There are cheaper ones out there and you will not make any money when you sell it, however it seems like a reasonable market price.  you can also try to wait them out.  Call back in a couple of weeks and see if they're ready to take $200 "cash in hand".  These EM's are not hot sellers on CL these days. 

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:16:52 pm »
IF you want it and like the game, $300 for a working EM is not that bad.  There are cheaper ones out there and you will not make any money when you sell it, however it seems like a reasonable market price.  you can also try to wait them out.  Call back in a couple of weeks and see if they're ready to take $200 "cash in hand".  These EM's are not hot sellers on CL these days.

Not really looking to make any $$ off of it. So is the consensus that $300 is a fair price or should I wait for a better deal?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:41:03 pm by SlammedNiss »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:16:20 pm »
I paid 6 times that for my first pin and it was only a few years younger than what you're looking at.  $300 is a fine price to get into pins.  If you like the game and it works (or will work with a minor amount of hassle) then jump in man. 

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:58:53 am »

+1

Your average EM has low demand and low price.  If it sells, no biggie, just wait for the next one.

You didn't mention the backglass.  The low end EM's value is almost entirely the backglass.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 05:27:37 pm »
+1

Your average EM has low demand and low price.  If it sells, no biggie, just wait for the next one.

You didn't mention the backglass.  The low end EM's value is almost entirely the backglass.

The back glass was in good condition from what I remember. Well, put it this way, there wasn't anything that stood out that I thought looked bad.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 10:11:09 am »

May as well learn this backglass lesson from a forum and not a purchase.

To evaluate a backglass properly you have to pull it from the game.  A lot of games will look good from the front with no backlight.  Then when you pull it out of the head the slightest air pressure sends 1" chunks of paint floating down to the floor.  Or you put some bulbs in the head and discover there are more gaps in the paint than in Obamacare.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 06:48:05 pm »

May as well learn this backglass lesson from a forum and not a purchase.

To evaluate a backglass properly you have to pull it from the game.  A lot of games will look good from the front with no backlight.  Then when you pull it out of the head the slightest air pressure sends 1" chunks of paint floating down to the floor.  Or you put some bulbs in the head and discover there are more gaps in the paint than in Obamacare.
I appreciate the info. Will be awhile before I  make a decision on whether or not I'll pick this up or not. We got about 12" of snow this week, asnd I have no safe way of picking it up right now. Luckily, I was the only person who has shown any interest AFAIK, so time I suppose is on my side.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 02:04:12 pm »

As is the fact that cheap dirty EMs are not at all difficult to find.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 04:12:58 pm »
Well, it looks like waiting paid off. She dropped her price to $250 and I should be picking this up on Monday afternoon. Will post pics when it's in my possession.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 06:52:19 pm »
 :cheers:

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 10:03:12 pm »
Picked it up this afternoon. Few things I've noticed since I've been able to spend a little more time with it.

1. There seems to be something causing it to score without hitting anything. At first I thought it was the flippers doing it, but even a small nudge of the machine seems to actually do it. Short?
2. The scoring works about 95% of the time. What I've already found out is that "tens" scoring position hangs up. If I turn the machine off then immediately back on, it continues to stick. However, if I give it about 10 seconds before powering it back on, it will advance to the next scoring #. Once I repeat this scenario and it gets to "0", the game functions normally. Of course it was working fine when I went and looked at it.
3. These damn things are freaking LOUD! Any way to quiet it down?
4. Sadly, it doesn't look nearly as cool next to my DK Jr. as I thought it would. Maybe it will grow on me?
5. What does everybody suggest clean the playfield off with? Should I use car polish or just some windex?

So, as I stated in the OP, it needs a full new set of rubbers. (somebody actually electrical taped the one on the side bumper behind the right flipper) Is ebay the most cost-effective place to purchase these plus new bulbs? Or is there a place similar to bob roberts? Also, need a couple of matching-keyed 5/8" locks. One for the coin door and the other for the back of the scoring mech.

All in all, it isn't bad for my first pin. Needs some TLC, but I knew that coming into it that it would.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:58:03 pm by SlammedNiss »

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 08:14:18 am »
Standard EM stuff here...

There is probably a playfield switch stuck closed causing the game to score without hitting anything.

I would use PinballLife for door locks, rubber rings and bulbs...use #47 bulbs....and some NOVUS 2 for cleaning and waxing... 

( Cue a Xaou2 diatribe about the superior effects of F21 Polymer over Novus 2 right about now )

You have a common problem with 'sticky' score reels that probably have congealed grease on them from 1974.  They likely need disassembled and cleaned.

As far as the game being too loud, not much you can do about that unless you disable the scoring chimes or glue some pool table felt to them... Make sure the back door of the head is on the game, that will quiet it down immensely.

The game seems boring and blah to you now but if you fix it up, get it working properly, and polish it up like a jewel you will be proud of yourself and that alone will make the game 'grow on you'.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 08:17:49 pm »
I appreciate the info. I guess I'll have to get this thing lowered down to where I can work on the scoring reels a little better.

Also, do is it worth the upgrade to LED's in incandescent?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 08:57:29 pm »
Also, do is it worth the upgrade to LED's in incandescent?

I upgraded my TAF to LED and it's amazing.  It also cost about half of what your pin cost so the answer to that is, well, maybe...

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 09:10:32 am »
LEDs have their place but PinballLife sells 100 #47 bulbs for $7.50 plus shipping...

Not GE quality of course but that's pretty cheap to get things going....

You can always upgrade.

Rando

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2016, 07:49:31 pm
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 11:01:40 am »
Post some pics!

I saw you posted on my "Post Time Restore" thread and it looks like you're in the same boat as me.  You've got an EM machine, hoping it will be pretty cool, but you don't really know what you're doing??  ???  You haven't posted the game's name yet (I don't think?) so I don't know what your working with.

I can tell you what I've done so far with mine, and so far happy with results:

Been as gentle as possible, but opened everything up.  Removed the glass and stored elsewhere, won't be going back on top for a while.  Found a bar inside that props up playfield, awesome.  Cleaned up all junk inside, but kept most in case I need to refer to it, lot of junk was in mine.  Parts pinball, parts kerosene heater.  Whatever.  Opened the back backbox and just stared at it.  Looks neat, don't really know what I'm looking at.  Got backglass off (look this up if you are unsure how to proceed.  This was tough, backglass had not been removed in years I imagine, and took work to start moving) and stored elsewhere to reduce further damage/flaking.  There is a way to prevent future flaking, I haven't looked into this yet.

I picked up this book and read it:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0917510275/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are probably better books, but this was a great book to introduce me to a lot of what I was looking at and going to be doing.

I opened an account at http://pinside.com/ and started a post similar to the one I have on here in their EM forum.  Good knowledge base, nice folks, just like here.  My name is Rando there too.

After I determined the machine could likely be brought back, I ordered a tune-up kid specifically for it from E-bay for like $35.  Inlcuded all new rubbers specificaly for my machine, type 44 and 47 lightbulbs ball, springs and stuff for plunger, cleaning fluid, maybe another item or two.  I also printed out a scan of the orignal flyer, makes me feel good looking at what my game should look like.

I then found a loose wire preventing right flipper from working, soldered it, fixed it.  First real accomplishment, feels good.

I then started replacing bulbs.  Did the easier ones first, harder ones next, didn't force anything.  Machine now looks cool in the dark, makes me feel like I'm making progress.  Replaced LOTS of lights by the way, didn't realize but maybe half were out.

Cleaned the deck with the cleaner last night, shined up some plastics, started replaceing some rubbers.  Discovered a couple more lights I didn't know existed, fixed those, this thing has lots of lights.

I agree that it's loud, and my chimes/bell aren't even working!  My backbox is open though and the deck is usually up.  Back closed and up against a wall, and deck down and glass on will make it sound more normal I imagine, but I really don't know, I haven't played an EM machine in years, if actually ever.

But I'm really enjoying this, the game plays pretty good, and I can see the potential fun in it if I get it tuned close to right.  I will restate that I don't really know what I'm doing, but as with my MAME cab before, I'm feeling my way around, getting some good input, and acheiving results.

All good! :D  Good luck!

But dude, post some pics! ;)
Rando - My build thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107741.msg1142843#msg1142843 (work slowed but still progressing!

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 01:58:31 pm »
Mines a 1974 Williams Triple Action. Only have the 1 pic so far.  Started digitizing the graphics last night so when I tear it down and repaint it, I can redo the graphics the same. Thats about as far as I've got with it. I still need to place an order for rubbers/locks/polish but been too busy getting ready for vacation.

BTW, you'll have to let me know how well that kit from ebay works. I was eying the same kit I believe. Was it the one with 40 bulbs total? The only other thing I need that isn't included in that kit was a pair of matching 5/8" locks.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:59:46 pm by SlammedNiss »