Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovy Game Gear's Omnistick Basic  (Read 6220 times)

H2obuffalo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2015, 05:44:04 pm
Groovy Game Gear's Omnistick Basic
« on: December 16, 2012, 06:46:40 pm »
Hi All,

Thought it was time to contribute to the forums again with a review. This time for GGG's Omnistick basic in blue.
I Bought this for my upcoming project. A cocktail cab with 4 panels. I needed a dedicated 4-way with the ability to occasionally switch to 8-way.
This Omnistick is Also Known as a Suzo 500. It is a Dutch Design that has the same handle shape as my old competition pro for my Commodore 64 and Amiga home computers.(Yes I'm that old;)) The tapered balltop on this arcade model has a fine textured pattern the ball that provides a nice grip while the tapered shaft is shiny smooth. It utilizes a very nice rotating gate to select 4or 8-way just grab the red plate and turn it 45 degrees and go.
      I had an older model that came with restrictor bars that resemble pinball flippers.These can be moved around on the base to give you a dedicated 2-way( up-down or left right) or if you use just one a 5-way like a half circle of directions. I have never found a game that would use this mode but i suppose you could use this for an induststrial  hoist or trolly set up.
  Anyhow these restrictor arms were not included with my sealed in plastic new stick (cost cutting?). So I took it apart to see what else might have changed. the old one I had used Cherry micro switches so I was a little dissapointed to find E-switches in my new stick. I know that Happ now owns Suzo so that is obviously a cost cutting swap out. I have replaced them with some nice Freeport micro switches untill I can get something better. I think some of RandyT,s new groovy switches may fit the bill nicely.
  The new stick has a heavy spring to center the stick. It works quite well as the short throw of this stick lends itself to quick direction changes. Very nice! I can let the stick fling back and It does not and change directions.
   Construction of this stick can be summed up in one word. Tough. Like my Wico balltop microswitched these are built to withstand serious abuse err... Spirited gameplay. I guess Dutch kids were tough on joysticks too as these also feature heavy solid steel shafts, thick plastic bases and restrictor gates.
  There is no floating dust washer with this stick as the design incorporates a domed skirt of sorts that sits above the control panel. This makes for a stylish install in a metal panel by punching a 1- 3/4" hole  and drilling and tapping for screws. Wood panels require a bit of routing or you can use the nice mounting plate on available from the Web site.
  Also available is a replacement shaft made of Aluminium that will let you choose from a plethora of threaded ball tops. I have not tried these these but they look great. When I took the stick apart for the photos I tried tied take the shaft apart but without slipring pliers I could NOT get that little sucker off. you will definately need a pair of those to modify/replace the shaft/ball top.
 So in a wrap:
              Pro- *Robust, construction. Yeah baby!
                      *Very quick responses and a short throw
                      *Unique and comfortable tapered balltop stick
                      *Easy 4-8-way switching
                      *More directional options than any other digital stick  I have seen.
                        4,8,2 and 5-way If your's come with the extra arms

Con- *Only 3 colors for the original tapered balltop...sigh
                       *no restrictor arms with the new model.
                         It's nice to have the options even though I'll probably never use them
                       *Teeny slip ring pliers needed to disassemble shaft.
                         Oh well, another nifty tool for the pegboard
                       *E-switch microswitches...yuck! but easily and quickly replaced
                          only picky kids like me will even care.

Oh, I forgot to mention that My order arrived in 3 days, beautifully packed and protected.
RandyT is great to deal with. Thanks for making these available again.
     You can get them (if he is not sold out ;D)at: www.groovygamegear.com

I have included photos for anybody wanting to see the inner gutty-whats of this joystick.
Cheers!

H2obuffalo

Jumpman64

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2017, 04:58:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Groovy Game Gear's Omnistick Basic
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:24:49 pm »
Good stuff.  I was about to purchase one of these myself a few days ago but they were sold out  :cry:  Took a chance on the Omni2 instead, so we'll see.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:21:20 pm by Jumpman64 »

secret80sman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2013, 07:04:31 pm
    • The Ultimate 80's Tribute Band
Groovy Game Gear's Omnistick Basic
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 07:17:54 pm »
Thanks for the thorough review as I have always wondered about these.

H2obuffalo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2015, 05:44:04 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:25:58 pm »
Your welcome!

Reviews are fun and they give me an excuse to buy more joysticks!
I'm just trying to contribute to the forums that have helped me with our hobby!

Cheers!

H2obuffalo

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 06:55:48 pm »
Ahm, how does it perform? And is the nub at the top a little big for 3/4 inch holes?
-Banned-

melsaxing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2013, 10:38:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:38:29 pm »
 Reviews are fun