Main > Consoles

n64 custom arcade stick

<< < (3/4) > >>

Howard_Casto:

--- Quote from: neggie1 on December 16, 2012, 11:04:35 am ---ya i know the 64 doesn't rally have many game to be used but in my case its the only way i can play , after a resent accident i was left with limited hand function. so with that said because of the button layout and the more simplistic controls of the n64 compared to newer modern systems im able to play with ease. so does anyone know how to do this or maybe if someone owns the controller they could give me some tips on preserving the joystick?

--- End quote ---

Well first off that is the first legitimate excuse I've ever heard for using arcade controls on a console, so I apologize if my response offended you.  That's being said, next time tell us that, it helps us to give a better answer.

But.... do you mean to use this to play n64 games only or games on any system?  Because the way you are responding here it sounds like you are wanting to use it for all games on maybe a pc setup or something.  Because you are going to run into another issue if you are wanting to use it on other games, notably the lack of a second analog stick.  The button layout isn't any more simplistic than a modern gamepad either. 

This can be done, but it's going to take a lot more thought than you think and we are going to need more info.  The layout, like I said before, is the biggest concern.  Most games require you to press multiple buttons at once....  even though some modern fight sticks use two rows of 4 buttons, the 4th is used as a "all at once" button so you never use all 4 at once nor do you have to do complicated things like press the 1st button on the bottom row and the 4th on the top, which would be a bit of a stretch.  With a bad console layout though, you might actually have the situation if your layout is bad.  The shark gets away with a potentially bad layout because the buttons are so small, scaled up it's going to be an issue. 

There are analog arcade sticks, ultimarc sells some, but I'm not sure if it will be a benefit to you.... they are so large. 

nitz:

--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on December 20, 2012, 03:02:08 am ---Most of these games you just mentioned require an analog joystick to play properly, so thanks for playing, but no, you didn't up the total any with that list.  ;)

--- End quote ---

What was your total again?


--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on December 16, 2012, 08:45:46 am ---Afaik there are ZERO arcade style games on the n64 with the exception of Mortal Kombat Trilogy and KI Gold.
--- End quote ---

Right, it was two. And although it's been awhile, I'm pretty sure MK4 and War Gods did not use analog controls, so that brings the total to four + some stuff that others have mentioned + I'm not so sure that Bio Freaks or Mace used analog controls either.

Although you did mention that most N64 games would be impossible to play with digital controls (which is pretty accurate) it certainly does not make the statement "there are ZERO arcade style games on the n64 with the exception of Mortal Kombat Trilogy and KI Gold" true.

It's silly to argue about because "There are more than 2 arcade style games on the N64" is not an opinion we all have that you don't share - it's a fact that you won't acknowledge because you don't like admitting you were wrong. I don't care, just find it funny and couldn't resist responding. :lol

 :cheers:

Howard_Casto:

--- Quote from: nitz on December 20, 2012, 07:16:43 pm ---
--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on December 20, 2012, 03:02:08 am ---Most of these games you just mentioned require an analog joystick to play properly, so thanks for playing, but no, you didn't up the total any with that list.  ;)

--- End quote ---

What was your total again?


--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on December 16, 2012, 08:45:46 am ---Afaik there are ZERO arcade style games on the n64 with the exception of Mortal Kombat Trilogy and KI Gold.
--- End quote ---

Right, it was two. And although it's been awhile, I'm pretty sure MK4 and War Gods did not use analog controls, so that brings the total to four + some stuff that others have mentioned + I'm not so sure that Bio Freaks or Mace used analog controls either.

Although you did mention that most N64 games would be impossible to play with digital controls (which is pretty accurate) it certainly does not make the statement "there are ZERO arcade style games on the n64 with the exception of Mortal Kombat Trilogy and KI Gold" true.

It's silly to argue about because "There are more than 2 arcade style games on the N64" is not an opinion we all have that you don't share - it's a fact that you won't acknowledge because you don't like admitting you were wrong. I don't care, just find it funny and couldn't resist responding. :lol

 :cheers:

--- End quote ---
If we are playing the "who is more wrong" game then your slew of games that flat out won't play on a digital stick is just as wrong as my list of two games that excluded maybe 3 or 4 games that were worth playing.  Again, thanks for playing the "let's tear apart every generalization that Howard makes because he obviously has no feelings so I can be a total jerk towards him" game but again....

nitz:
*Sigh*

OK. I'm not usually one to thread crap or get into arguments on the internet. But I'm being called a jerk here so I'm gonna respond to that. After this, I will not post in this thread again unless it's on topic.

First I extend my apologies to neggie1. You're new here and there's a bit of bickering in your first thread. We're not normally like this. Really.  :) This is a great froum and a great group. Don't let this scare you off.


--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on December 21, 2012, 12:05:26 am ---thanks for playing the "let's tear apart every generalization that Howard makes because he obviously has no feelings so I can be a total jerk towards him" game

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I know my post came off a bit jerky. And so did, "Thanks for playing, but you're wrong." It essentially comes off as, "Nice try, but I'm smarter than you." I would have let it go except that you are always talking to people like that, and this time you are so hilariously, demonstratably 100% wrong that I couldn't resist calling you on it. Your assertion was far too absurd to be taken seriously enough to hurt my feelings, but it is kind of annoying.


--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on December 21, 2012, 12:05:26 am ---If we are playing the "who is more wrong" game then your slew of games that flat out won't play on a digital stick is just as wrong as my list of two games that excluded maybe 3 or 4 games that were worth playing. 
--- End quote ---

Oh good grief. ::) You can't possibly think I was wrong here. The "No analog games" is an arbitrary restriction that you came up with - why shouldn't analog games be included? There are many arcade games that used analog controls. You may as well have said "Games with cars in them don't count" or "Games made by Midway don't count". Heck, I would have actually been fine with it if you had come back with, "I don't count analog games" but instead you come back with one of your classic "I am smarter than you, so there" posts. If you need to make yourself feel better about your mistake by pretending I'm wrong too, then...whatever man. Your problem I guess.

FWIW Howard, I know you're a smart dude. I actually make a point of reading your posts because they are often informative, helpful, and well-written. I really enjoy it when you start talking about Nintendo (as a company) because most people disagree with you, but I find myself nodding in agreement. I've appreciated times when you've responded to questions I've had. But when you make a mistake and someone corrects it, you just can't seem to accept that someone knew something you didn't. Your ability to be rational and objective goes out the window - you just want to be right no matter what.

If people give you a hard time sometimes, it's because it's annoying when they make a point and you throw a non-sensical argument at them in a slightly condescending way. In the adult world, 99% of people cannot be bothered to pick on you for no reason. If you feel like people are picking on you a lot, it is almost certainly because of something you're doing.

If you feel you need to respond to this, start an off-topic thread or send me a PM. I'll ignore further posts on this subject in this thread because I don't want to crap on it anymore.

FTR, as frustrating as it is to get into a debate with you, I don't really feel animosity toward you and will still look forward to your posts when they are intelligent and informative.

Cheers

 :cheers:

Malenko:
I think the disconnect is some people were listing arcade style games that can be used with just the D-pad, others were just listing arcade style games. Lets fight nice kids =)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version