Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How should I power on my DC-based cabinet? Here's how I did it.  (Read 952 times)

ZTylerDurden717

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How should I power on my DC-based cabinet? Here's how I did it.
« on: January 02, 2024, 06:31:30 pm »
My cabinet has the following electricity suckers:
Dreamcast
USB-LEDs for marquee
USB Exhaust fan
Basic amp for 2 stereo speakers
Dell LCD Monitor

I went with a practical approach and plugged in all the above to a power strip.  The power strip goes to the wall with an I/O adapter.  I keep the power strip "on" and the I/O adapter flips the cab on/off.

It works, but my brain tells me it should be be regulated through a power supply.  At the same time, this is relatively low power stuff that shouldn't go BOOM considering the DC has its own PSU.

Is this ok or a fire hazard?  If not a fire hazard, is there a more elegant approach that doesn't require intermediate knowledge building power supplies from scratch?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 06:35:08 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

Brookso

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2024, 04:15:34 am
Re: How should I power on my DC-based cabinet? Here's how I did it.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 01:29:58 am »
IMO it's not nearly enough devices plugged in to worry about it short circuting, any pics of the setup? Might be able to figure out a better setup when we see it :D
Sup
Other hobbies: target shooting, hiking,fishing.
Fav gun range: https://range.gritrsports.com/

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:58:24 am
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 07:11:56 am »
Every one of those devices should have a power rating in watts printed on them, usually near the power inlet. Add up all the watts.

If a label only lists volts and amps: watts = volts * amps.

Most generic power boards are rated to 2400W, but check label on back. If your total number of watts is even getting close to that rating, then be concerned. However, what you listed does not look like enough to worry about.

What is an "I/O adapter"?
Check out my completed projects!

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 08:57:46 am »
What is an "I/O adapter"?

It's just an on/off switch you plug into the outlet.  I flip this on, and the whole cab goes on.

I'll provide pics when I get access to the cab.  In the meantime, really appreciate the advice.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 09:53:56 am »
Ah thanks! I see.

I'm Australian and over there, almost all wall power points come with switches as standard. However I see switches are much less common in other countries.

If you aren't afraid of some minor hacking, I like to install one of these bad boys in the back of my cabs. Search for "IEC320 PC power socket male". That way, when moving the cab or whatever, I never have to worry about a dangling power cord. There are many varieties, but I like the ones that have an LED in the switch and a fuse (you may need to buy the fuse separately).

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 10:22:33 am »

If you aren't afraid of some minor hacking, I like to install one of these bad boys in the back of my cabs. Search for "IEC320 PC power socket male". That way, when moving the cab or whatever, I never have to worry about a dangling power cord. There are many varieties, but I like the ones that have an LED in the switch and a fuse (you may need to buy the fuse separately).

This is excellent.  It's just as practical and can insert a fuse that solves my concern.  And yeah, you're right, I do get inconvenienced with the dangling "tail" power cord moving it around.

Where do you drill the hole in your cab for placement? The back or bottom?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:32:48 am by ZTylerDurden717 »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 12:20:59 pm »
This is excellent.  It's just as practical and can insert a fuse that solves my concern.  And yeah, you're right, I do get inconvenienced with the dangling "tail" power cord moving it around.

Where do you drill the hole in your cab for placement? The back or bottom?

Back, a few inches up from cab's floor and in from side. Wherever is most convenient for you, yet gives enough wiggle room to access the terminals from inside.

If you want to push the cab right up against a wall, right-angle cords/adapters are cheaply available to suit.