Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

What version of PGA do you currently own?

PGA GOLF
6 (3.7%)
CHAMPIONSHIP I
6 (3.7%)
CHAMPIONSHIP II
3 (1.8%)
CHAMPIONSHIP III
20 (12.3%)
CHALLENGE
31 (19%)
TEAM CHALLENGE
54 (33.1%)
TEAM CHALLENGE w/ ALL ACCESS
28 (17.2%)
I DON'T OWN A VERSION BUT WOULD LIKE TO!
15 (9.2%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: PGA Tour Golf by Global VR & EA Sports Owners Thread  (Read 535779 times)

slapchop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2014, 09:41:26 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: PGA Tour Golf by Global VR & EA Sports Owners Thread
« Reply #360 on: October 31, 2013, 12:02:49 pm »
Can any 1 pm please if they have championship 3 cds for install for the pc requirements in pic I posted thanks

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2020, 12:46:05 am
« Reply #361 on: October 31, 2013, 12:55:50 pm »
How difficult is it to clean the trackball on these?

I have 3 that all feel like they are filled with sand.

I've already cleaned the ball itself, but did not disassemble it yet.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #362 on: October 31, 2013, 01:01:18 pm »
pretty easy to disassemble.  couple of screws and the 2 halves come apart.

clean off the rollers and it should be good to go.

occasionally you might need to replace the bearings. while they are out, give them a spin, if they spin fast and free (they should make a nice "woosh" sound. they are good.

if they spin slow or "buzz" when you spin them, the bearing is worn out. SOme people say you can soak them is solvent and then after they dry out, in oil to rejuvenate them, but i've never done it, i've just replaced them since we had them.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #363 on: October 31, 2013, 02:14:48 pm »
Any idea on replacement bearings?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:19:39 pm by Sarver Systems »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:50:40 pm by lilshawn »

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #365 on: October 31, 2013, 03:14:24 pm »
Excellent! I bet I could source them for much cheaper.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #366 on: October 31, 2013, 04:25:06 pm »
likely. There should be a tiny part number on the side of the bearing that you could use to search with.

the ones i have are labeled "7R4" they are 1/4IN ID 5/8IN OD (6.4mm ID 15.8mm OD)

found what seems to be a "R4-ZZ" that is the same size

it also lists these as a cross too:
SKF       2Z
TORR    D
FAA       D
---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?---      2ZR
NSK       ZZ
NTN       ZZ
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:40:32 pm by lilshawn »

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #367 on: November 01, 2013, 02:31:02 pm »
Does anyone need any good detailed shots of these machines?

I'll be working on several machines tomorrow. I'm more than happy to help out.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #368 on: November 01, 2013, 04:34:17 pm »
Does anyone need any good detailed shots of these machines?

can't hurt. somebody will be sure to need something someday.  :cheers:

djpoint

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2013, 10:43:32 am
« Reply #369 on: November 02, 2013, 10:34:18 am »
This is my first time using this forum, i hope i posted this in the correct discussion.  My bar has a PGA Championship 2007 video arcade game. I had some boot up problems several months ago and restored the game using the CD's inside the cabinet.  Past 2 weeks it will randomly not boot up all the way.  I get a blank blue windows xp screen with a frozen mouse arrow.  The only way to correct this is to unplug every cable in the back of the tower, boot it back up. With all the cables unplugged except monitor, i still get that blue screen with mouse arrow. I turn machine off, plug all cables back in, turn it on again and it works fine.  Also the screen is very dim with the game but not with XPe.  Any ideas? Bad cable? Hardrive? Video card?.....Any info. would help...thanks.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #370 on: November 02, 2013, 01:35:28 pm »
FIRST THE GOOD NEWS:

it still boots.

NOW THE BAD NEWS:

it might not for much longer

things to look at...

fans fans fans fans.

it's SUPER important that the fans are operating properly. these things become ticking time bombs if they overheat. you will want to peel open the computer and check over everything. make sure the fans are working.

make sure the capacitors look okay. you don't want them looking like this:

they don't necessarily leak out the top...even just a domed top is an indication something is going sideways on you.

be sure to check the main board and the videocard for bad capacitors.

remove the power supply and take the lid off it. and check the capacitors in there too. i'll bet someplace you will find some blown caps.

if your power supply has blown caps, just go ahead and replace it with a new one. They can be had from a computer or parts store for under $50.

if your board had blown caps you might have to gain some nerves and change them.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #371 on: November 03, 2013, 08:35:21 am »
I was ble to locate some discs for the games. He had an envelope stashed away with a bunch of CDs and books for the games.

I also found 2 credit card-looking things in there. 1 says its a player's card, the other is a technicians card (I think it said).

Any idea what these are for? I know they plug into the card reader, but purpose do they serve?

I'll post up the part numbers soon.

stpcore

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2019, 05:48:56 pm
« Reply #372 on: November 03, 2013, 09:43:41 am »
I was ble to locate some discs for the games. He had an envelope stashed away with a bunch of CDs and books for the games.

I also found 2 credit card-looking things in there. 1 says its a player's card, the other is a technicians card (I think it said).

Any idea what these are for? I know they plug into the card reader, but purpose do they serve?

I'll post up the part numbers soon.

One of the cards (orange) is an Operator Card that was used while registering the game for online play and tournaments.  It is no longer used since the Global VR servers are not up and running.  The second is a players card which can be used to save the golfer you can create within the game.  This allows you to take your custom golfer to different machines and choose him in the player menu by inserting your card when asked.  If your card reader is not working these options (create a golfer, load your golfer) will not be available to you.

I do have a bunch of players cards if anyone is looking for one or more.
Offering commercial grade vinyl decal printing for cabinet side art, control panel overlays, monitor bezels, marquees, etc.

mllkat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2016, 05:03:18 pm
  • When all else fails, you're about average.
« Reply #373 on: November 04, 2013, 08:02:12 pm »
Greetings,

I have been reading all your posts with interest as I have been gathering pieces for the PGA Tour Game for awhile now. I have all the software and dongles for the original PGA Golf, the software and dongle for Championship III, and for PGA Challenge, which I have been running up until now on a makeshift cabinet that was originally an old Taito cab. I recently obtained the PGA team Challenge Software and all access pass along with its dongle, but as luck would have it, my PGA computer went south on me. After reading some of Ed12's work on adapting the system to use different video cards and others to use a different computer, I decided to try an older E-Machine (T-6524). After installing the software and using Ed's tips for the video card, I was able to get the E-Machine to load up PGA challenge and go into attract mode. Does this mean this computer will work for this game? I haven't tried hooking up the controls yet, but so far so good. In addition, I went ahead and loaded the team challenge software and again it went fine until it said the dongle was invalid. I am assuming this is because the I/O card is wrong. It is the older Nytric 1.5. If what I read is correct, that would work for PGA Challenge but not for team challenge. Am I correct in this assumption? Any and all assistance would be appreciated.

Mllkat

dirt

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 11:06:57 pm
« Reply #374 on: November 04, 2013, 08:51:07 pm »
I received the tiger woods 2007 game. I wont have time to work on it till next weekend, im going out of town this weekend. Ill keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

WANTED: NINTENDO CABINETS WORKING OR NOT

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #375 on: November 04, 2013, 10:57:04 pm »
it said the dongle was invalid. I am assuming this is because the I/O card is wrong. It is the older Nytric 1.5.
Mllkat

i would think it's because the dongle is invalid. you must have the correct version of dongle for the software. it should say "tm challenge" on the dongle. if there was an issue with the IO board, the controls wouldn't work etc.

check your parallel port settings in the bios and be sure it's set up proper. you may have to switch it to another mode to get it to work right (ECP+EPP or bidirectional mode)

dahupshee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2015, 07:54:05 pm
« Reply #376 on: November 07, 2013, 05:50:14 pm »
Hey guys. Been out of the loop for a little while. Still hoping to unlock the "All Access" on my Team Challenge machine but no luck. There's a seller on eBay that's selling the upgrade for $295 but won't budge on the price. If anyone finds one in the $200 range (or preferably less) please let me know.

My main question was about a video card. As noted above I have the Team Challenge machine with the DFI computer. Will this card work on my system with a simple swap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BFG-Nvidia-GeForce-6600-GT-OC-128MB-GDDR3-PCI-Express-video-graphics-card-/231090223367?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item35ce0cf907

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this won't work, can someone direct me to a card that would be an upgrade and stop the random choppiness that I get.

Again, thanks for the help!

mllkat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #377 on: November 07, 2013, 05:57:30 pm »
it said the dongle was invalid. I am assuming this is because the I/O card is wrong. It is the older Nytric 1.5.
Mllkat

i would think it's because the dongle is invalid. you must have the correct version of dongle for the software. it should say "tm challenge" on the dongle. if there was an issue with the IO board, the controls wouldn't work etc.

check your parallel port settings in the bios and be sure it's set up proper. you may have to switch it to another mode to get it to work right (ECP+EPP or bidirectional mode)

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the bios and tried the different modes but to no avail. I have included a pic of the dongle that came with my software and the error screen that comes up.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #378 on: November 07, 2013, 07:25:11 pm »
you need to make sure you have the parallel port driver installed for the board you are using. it's saying N/A for everything. This is leading me to believe it's trying to read it but can't.

if you installed championship 3 and then team challenge overtop, you might need to reload windows, then install team challenge from scratch.

this software can be very finicky with stock hardware, let alone with hacked together hardware.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #379 on: November 08, 2013, 12:28:52 am »
With my limited knowledge of this machine, but massive amounts of knowledge of PCs in general, I would completely agree with lilshawn.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #380 on: November 08, 2013, 01:04:38 am »
not olny dose the s/w have to match the s/w on the dongle..
a simple over-write is a full no no
u MUST clean the hardrive of all other verisions of :hercules:
or u will run into a ton of problems..
sticking in windows xp drivers on a >xpe< machine is a touchie touchie thing
u see >xpe< runs on very limted drivers :the ones the mfg needs:
sp2 at best...xp is sp3..total dif biatch
so in short if u got a windows :xp3: driver for the video card ?
and your running windows service pack 3.? then loading on pga
u have a wack of driver problems to over come
this also appy's to your ports

my first advise is to find out what :the un-locked key is for:
they came in multi flavors

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #381 on: November 08, 2013, 10:31:29 am »
Hey guys. Been out of the loop for a little while. Still hoping to unlock the "All Access" on my Team Challenge machine but no luck. There's a seller on eBay that's selling the upgrade for $295 but won't budge on the price. If anyone finds one in the $200 range (or preferably less) please let me know.

My main question was about a video card. As noted above I have the Team Challenge machine with the DFI computer. Will this card work on my system with a simple swap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BFG-Nvidia-GeForce-6600-GT-OC-128MB-GDDR3-PCI-Express-video-graphics-card-/231090223367?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item35ce0cf907

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this won't work, can someone direct me to a card that would be an upgrade and stop the random choppiness that I get.

Again, thanks for the help!

Game versions PGA Tour Golf through PGA Tour Golf Championship III all run on the TI4200 video card.  Challenge, Team Challenge, and Team Challenge with All Access will run on the 4200 but will also support the 6600 video card.
Offering commercial grade vinyl decal printing for cabinet side art, control panel overlays, monitor bezels, marquees, etc.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #382 on: November 08, 2013, 10:47:40 am »
For anyone that is interested in implementing the PC versions of Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf in an arcade cabinet I thought I would share some quick notes:

So far I have purchased Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 2005 and also 2006 and both are confirmed as working well with a HAPP USB LED Trackball.  It's actually pretty funny because when you enter the Pro Shop in 2006 the PGA Tour Golf Team Challenge music starts playing!  I'm currently getting ready to design a clean layout for buttons since the PC version uses the keyboard which offers too many different options (camera angles, positioning golfer, club select, etc.) for a typical arcade control panel.  Nobody wants to use an arcade control panel that has 20 different buttons!  I would like to keep the control panel simple with the trackball and 5 or 6 essential buttons.

I will now be ordering the 2007 and 2008 versions and if those work well I will keep all four versions on one tower so that players can select the year/version that they prefer.  Then I can go in and add courses (hundreds of courses can be added) and get this project finished!

I'm really excited to be able to have a complete "unlocked" version of our Team Challenge game without expensive upgrades and additional limitations (no career mode, limited golfers, etc).  I would encourage all of you to give this a try if you are using these machines for at home personal use.

If anyone has any ideas regarding this project or has anything to offer from personal experience I would really appreciate your input.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #383 on: November 08, 2013, 05:28:09 pm »
stpcore...

Would you mind writing up a step-by-step guide on how you accomplished this?

There's a ton of info here in this post, but getting it all cleaned up and put into a single post would be AWESOME.

I'd volunteer my time to do it, but I'm in need of the info myself.

Tsegler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2013, 12:08:51 am
PGA Tour Golf by Global VR & EA Sports Owners Thread
« Reply #384 on: November 09, 2013, 08:16:40 am »
I think it's a great idea! I have a team challenge that Someone had put tw2006 on the hard drive with team challenge
Tsegler

mllkat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #385 on: November 11, 2013, 03:51:00 pm »
not olny dose the s/w have to match the s/w on the dongle..
a simple over-write is a full no no
u MUST clean the hardrive of all other verisions of :hercules:
or u will run into a ton of problems..
sticking in windows xp drivers on a >xpe< machine is a touchie touchie thing
u see >xpe< runs on very limted drivers :the ones the mfg needs:
sp2 at best...xp is sp3..total dif biatch
so in short if u got a windows :xp3: driver for the video card ?
and your running windows service pack 3.? then loading on pga
u have a wack of driver problems to over come
this also appy's to your ports

my first advise is to find out what :the un-locked key is for:
they came in multi flavors

ed

Thanks for the advice Ed12,
For starters, I got my DFI PGA Challenge computer going again so that eliminated the driver issues. I cleaned the HD and installed PGA Team Challenge fresh. This time I received no invalid Dongle error but I did receive this:

Is this because of the older Nytric (1.5) card? or is there another possibility?

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #386 on: November 11, 2013, 04:39:02 pm »
Do you have another IO card you can swap out?
Do you have it plugged into a known working USB port?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #387 on: November 11, 2013, 04:42:33 pm »
i find that often with them
 chk to make sure u are powering it from the power-supply
there is a header plug for it.
second move to the on-board usb,if u are using the 4 output pcmia style usb adapter
this nornmanly clears it up

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mllkat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #388 on: November 12, 2013, 04:50:32 pm »
second move to the on-board usb,if u are using the 4 output pcmia style usb adapter

ed

I have combined your advice, I first switched the power supply source and the USB source but to no avail. I then switched the Nytric board and connected it the same way and it worked just fine. Thanks for all the help. Now I need to decide whether to try to find an empty PGA cab, build one (I have the actual plans used by Global VR for their cab) or just continue to use my makeshift Taito cab. I would like to use the new control panel I have or the new cabinet header...or the sideart I have to use...(as I said, I have been gathering parts for a while now). Thanks again.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #389 on: November 12, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »
Where are you located? If you're near Pittsburgh.. let me know.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #390 on: November 12, 2013, 05:59:39 pm »

ed

I have combined your advice, I first switched the power supply source and the USB source but to no avail. I then switched the Nytric board and connected it the same way and it worked just fine. Thanks for all the help. Now I need to decide whether to try to find an empty PGA cab, build one (I have the actual plans used by Global VR for their cab) or just continue to use my makeshift Taito cab. I would like to use the new control panel I have or the new cabinet header...or the sideart I have to use...(as I said, I have been gathering parts for a while now). Thanks again.

Personally, I would recommend doing a pedestal cabinet.  They can be portable and give you the newer Golden Tee bar style play.  Below is an example of a very slim PGA Tour Golf cabinet that I sell locally.  They are popular, slim, and built like a horse.  Now if you go with a PGA Tour Golf cabinet and you are building it to specs I would recommend using the 29" Vizio LCD 720p tv as it fills the space well and is superior to any CRT that you would put in there in my opinion.  You can see this below as well.

apristel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2013, 06:24:53 pm
« Reply #391 on: November 20, 2013, 01:43:01 pm »
Can we install PGA Tour Golf Team Challenge on a motherboard other than the original ones?

I have the disks..?

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #392 on: November 20, 2013, 02:28:27 pm »
Yes you can.  The most important thing is making sure the video card is compatible or installing the proper drivers for a video card that is not supported.  I install PGA Tour Golf versions on Dell Optiplex GX240 and GX260 versions and they run fine.

apristel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #393 on: November 20, 2013, 05:07:31 pm »
I actually have a gx280 that I want to use, but when I launch the install it says that the mobo isn't allowed... are there any flags to bypass it that you know of?

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #394 on: November 20, 2013, 05:31:42 pm »
Allow me to correct myself.  In my original reply I said I had installed PGA Tour Golf Team Challenge on a GX240 and GX260.  That was incorrect.  I've installed it successfully on a GX260 and a GX280.  I also installed a 6600 video card on the GX280 and hooked the hard drive up to the IDE cable.  I then installed a sound driver and the game ran fine.  I never encountered a motherboard error.

apristel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #395 on: November 20, 2013, 05:42:38 pm »
I'm going to give it another go, I'm installing the embedded XP right now on a new drive via the SATA port, I have all the drivers etc all set.

Thanks for your input. I'll report back.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #396 on: November 20, 2013, 05:54:14 pm »
pga golf is NOT mother board portected
olny the VIDEO CARD..which we all know the way around

ed

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #397 on: November 20, 2013, 06:35:54 pm »
which we all know the way around

ed

Do tell!

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #398 on: November 20, 2013, 06:47:10 pm »
stpcore layed out my work
follow his advise

ed

mllkat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #399 on: November 24, 2013, 12:51:23 pm »
pga golf is NOT mother board portected
olny the VIDEO CARD..which we all know the way around

ed

Just to follow up with Ed12 and Stpcore has said, I was able to use an E-Machine T6524 using an older Nvidia card following ED12's instructions and it is working just fine. It did require me to make sure all my required motherboard drivers were installed BEFORE I installed the PGA Software. After I installed the imbedded XP, added the necessary drivers, and then installed the PGA Software it is a steady performer. Thanks to ED12 and Stpcore for all their ground work. Opens the door for other possibilities.