Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

What version of PGA do you currently own?

PGA GOLF
6 (3.7%)
CHAMPIONSHIP I
6 (3.7%)
CHAMPIONSHIP II
3 (1.8%)
CHAMPIONSHIP III
20 (12.3%)
CHALLENGE
31 (19%)
TEAM CHALLENGE
54 (33.1%)
TEAM CHALLENGE w/ ALL ACCESS
28 (17.2%)
I DON'T OWN A VERSION BUT WOULD LIKE TO!
15 (9.2%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: PGA Tour Golf by Global VR & EA Sports Owners Thread  (Read 535914 times)

stpcore

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2019, 05:48:56 pm
Re: PGA Tour Golf by Global VR & EA Sports Owners Thread
« Reply #280 on: July 04, 2013, 03:20:18 pm »
my wife decided today was a good day to try and have a baby, so today is all thrown off for me.  :lol

Hey man...good luck with the baby!!!  I will congratulate you after you have your first cigar and a beer.
Offering commercial grade vinyl decal printing for cabinet side art, control panel overlays, monitor bezels, marquees, etc.

ed12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #281 on: July 04, 2013, 04:51:22 pm »
today is always a GOOD DAY  to bring life into the world
greet's

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

Tsegler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2013, 12:08:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
PGA Tour Golf by Global VR & EA Sports Owners Thread
« Reply #282 on: July 09, 2013, 10:08:48 am »
So how do I get team challenge to run in regular XP pro?
Tsegler

VGC on eBay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2013, 12:30:42 pm
  • Owner Video Game Connection Cleveland, Ohio
    • Video Game Connection
« Reply #283 on: July 10, 2013, 07:59:28 am »
Hello everybody, a couple weeks back I was lucky enough to purchase 3 non working yet complete PGA Golf games.  I have since been able to get all three working but one still gets a disc read error sometimes while booting up.  I just leave the keyboard attached to hit control alt delete if needed.  One Machine needed a power source, One was missing a video board and one had a sticky start button which actually caused video problems oddly enough.  Anyways the main reason for posting is One of the machines is a team challenge version and came with a sealed welcome kit including an operator plus card.  Can this be used to open up any items or courses? If so how difficult is it.  I'm not too computer savvy.  All machines have the dongle attached but only the 1 has the team challenge dongle.  Thanks in advance, Mike : )
videogameconnection.com
ccagshow.com

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2013, 09:38:08 am »
Hi Mike.  As of now the operator card has no advantage to us since the machines are no longer connected to the Global VR servers for online play.  It doesn't hurt to hang on to it but it's useless at this point.  You cannot add courses unless you upgrade to Team Challenge with ALL ACCESS.  ALL ACCESS gives you all of the courses without having to be online (online play is no longer supported).
Offering commercial grade vinyl decal printing for cabinet side art, control panel overlays, monitor bezels, marquees, etc.

VGC on eBay

• Offline Offline
    • Video Game Connection
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2013, 10:59:48 am »
Thanks Stpcore, do you know the disc version for the all access pass and does it require an all access dongle.  All my machines had discs in them.  The highest version install disc number I have is 3.0.4.6 but all my recovery discs are version 3.0.0.  Mike : )
videogameconnection.com
ccagshow.com

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #286 on: July 10, 2013, 11:40:16 am »
No problem.

If you are running Team Challenge there is an upgrade CD for ALL ACCESS but that requires its own security dongle (for All Access) as well. They are quite pricey unfortunately but if you keep your eyes open you may stumble upon one at some point.

VGC on eBay

• Offline Offline
    • Video Game Connection
« Reply #287 on: July 10, 2013, 11:45:13 am »
Thanks for your help. I will keep a lookout. Mike : )
videogameconnection.com
ccagshow.com

awassig

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2014, 01:23:31 pm
« Reply #288 on: July 15, 2013, 01:54:02 am »
Ok Guys new to the group. Just picked up 2 global vr pga  tour golf machines. Unfortunately both were missing computer towers and had bad monitors. I want to restore one and get a fully functional game.  One of the cabinets is a team challenge cabinet and that is the one I would like to get up and running. Can anyone give me a rundown of all of the parts needed to get this thing functional? It has complete control panels with wiring, the control panel has some type of printer plug on it, There is a usb cable in the bottom of the cabinet that has one side usb and the other side is square I am assuming it is a usb cg2 type cable. It has the multistrip installed marquee lights coin door etc. Looks like I just need a new monitor, and pc.

What are the specs for building a quality pc to run this game? Also were do I get the components like the install discs, security dongle, and I/O board?, Sound card needed? ETC......

Thanks for your time and any help you could provide.

Arlyn

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #289 on: July 15, 2013, 10:52:33 pm »
Hi and welcome!  I will try to give you a brief overview...

You are going to need a tower that can accept an IDE drive with Team Challenge installed. You will also need the security dongle to run Team Challenge.  You will need to install an I/O board for PGA tour Golf and that is what your printer plug connects to for your controls.  The USB cable connects to a card reader if you choose to have one (not necessary). You will also need another USB cable to power the I/O board and the other end will plug into one of the empty USB slots in the tower.  You will need a compatible video card (most common is the TI4200).  If you are running one of the stock DFI towers that came with the game you should be good to go at that point.  If you use a different type of tower (Dell seems to work well and I encourage you to read through this thread for more info on this) then you may have to install a driver or two. 

The most difficult part to find will be the I/O board in my opinion.  You may want to see if anyone here has an extra that they would be willing to part with.  It's good that you have the wiring harness as that is a little more difficult to find as well.  I would also consider replacing your non working monitor with a Vizio 29" Razor LCD connected via VGA if you are in position to spend another $200 on your cabinet restoration.  If its an original PGA dedicated cabinet it will fit in there perfectly and looks unbelievable in comparison to the original 27" CRT monitor.

If you have additional questions Im sure myself or others will be happy to take the time to help you.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:54:42 pm by stpcore »

awassig

• Offline Offline
« Reply #290 on: July 16, 2013, 03:01:34 pm »
Thank you so much for the help on this.....I will put a post out to see if anyone has a extra I/O board available. Can you load the software on a flash drive instead of the common hard drive?  :notworthy:

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #291 on: July 16, 2013, 03:36:24 pm »
I haven't heard anyone attempting to do this yet.  If you do try and have some success please let us know as that would be a great alternative.  Let me know if you need anything else!

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #292 on: July 16, 2013, 04:18:21 pm »
if the mobo can boot from usb
then u should have np

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

awassig

• Offline Offline
« Reply #293 on: July 16, 2013, 05:36:10 pm »
I was thinking using a ssd drive since there is no moving parts. :)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #294 on: July 17, 2013, 07:10:34 pm »
i have an extra IO board (in addition to the 2 computer sets i mentioned earlier in the thread)

I also have a brand new wire harness. (new, never used)

send me a PM if you are interested.

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2023, 07:55:31 am
« Reply #295 on: July 23, 2013, 08:47:42 am »
Hi All, I have been away for quite a while and was wondering what has been happening in the world of PGA golf. Did anyone ever work out how to allow online play and unlock all the game goodies?
Hope all is well out there?
Thx

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #296 on: July 23, 2013, 11:06:00 am »
What's up there, Spitfire?  Long time no talk.  Nobody is running anything online and we haven't had any major breakthroughs on anything since the last time you are here unfortunately.

I did make a portable PGA Tour Golf Team Challenge with All Access Pass last week.  I will upload some pics later if I have time.  It was cool to carry the thing over to my brother's place this weekend and connect it to his LCD during a party.  Very handy and VERY portable!

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #297 on: July 23, 2013, 12:00:37 pm »
So my friends enjoy coming by to play PGA whenever possible and I was trying to figure out a solution where they could still play without having to come here every single time.  So I wanted something that would be a solid portable arcade experience and this is my prototype.  The box is big enough to place the entire tower inside if need be with additional room for cooling, speakers, etc.

On this first unit I used an old control panel that was collecting some dust and then built the box with 3/4" MDF and 3/4" cabinet grade birch.  I then used my Kreg jig for the pocket joinery and some glue and the thing is rock solid.  I was able to reuse the original speaker grill from a damaged cabinet which was nice.  I did not slot it for t-molding or add rubber feet or anything like that yet as I wanted to give it a test run to find the pros and cons before doing a final build.  I have to say that we used this thing for about 8 hours on Friday night and did not have any issues at all.  I haven't weighed it but I'm guessing it's about 30 - 35lbs in total weight.  I have a 25' VGA coming out of the back so that it can connect to the largest of screens at a proper distance.

I thought I would post a couple pics in the event anyone was interested...

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2023, 07:55:31 am
« Reply #298 on: July 23, 2013, 07:09:19 pm »
Hi STP, sad to hear that no one has been able to find the holy grail of online play and unlocking all the goodies. I like the idea of a pc swap as my old tower is running a bit choppy at times so might give that ago.

That portal unit of yours is great mate and would be very handy indeed. Thinking that might be another project of mine as my monitor colours are also starting to fade and game would look great on an LCD.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #299 on: July 24, 2013, 12:52:09 pm »
Spitfire, I'm not sure if you have access to the Vizio Razor 29" LCD in Australia but I HIGHLY recommend picking one up if you need a monitor replacement.  It fits in there like a glove and fills a ton of space (much more than the 26" LCDs do).

Also, I have several different security dongles for every version of PGA golf so if anyone needs one send me a PM.  I will be selling them from $25 - $50 depending on the version you are looking for.  I only have 2 All Access dongles left and I'm going to hold on to those for future projects.  I was going to list some of these on Craigslist or eBay but I thought I would check here first in the event I can help anyone.  The dongles will also come with the install CDs.  All of the dongles are officially licensed dongles from Global VR.

Bayne

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2013, 11:17:04 pm
« Reply #300 on: July 24, 2013, 10:32:43 pm »
Hi I just bought a PGA Tour Golf Championship Edition I machine. Is there anything I can do to upgrade it to either edition III or challenge. To be honest I don't even know what is the best one to have. Any help is appreciated.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #301 on: July 24, 2013, 11:36:14 pm »
pm stpcore
he has what u need

ed

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #302 on: July 26, 2013, 11:33:53 am »
I do have dongles and CDs but not for All Access right now.  I have the following:

(1) PGA TOUR GOLF
(3) PGA TOUR GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP I
(2) PGA TOUR GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP III
(2) PGA TOUR GOLF CHALLENGE
(2) PGA TOUR GOLF TEAM CHALLENGE

I just noticed a PGA Tour Golf Team Challenge Showcase style cabinet on eBay (link below).  Does anyone know if this was something that Global VR released at some point?  I assume that someone converted that over to PGA from something else.  I'm curious as to where that control panel overlay and artwork was ordered from.  It's definitely the biggest PGA game I've ever seen!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Global-VR-32-LCD-PGA-Tour-Golf-EA-sports-Team-Challenge-video-game-nice-/151086942105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232d7bc799

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #303 on: July 26, 2013, 12:49:09 pm »
no
that was built from a big buck hunter cab
gobalvr ea@ sports dropped pga after full acess

ed

Slimonce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2022, 06:02:55 pm
« Reply #304 on: August 03, 2013, 08:17:00 pm »
Got the new card reader installed and it cured the error on all access!  Can start to design my own player but when it gets to the details I get a windows error. Says I need a debugger. Will play around w it but know stp would be interested in progress.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2013, 04:15:49 pm »
Got the new card reader installed and it cured the error on all access!  Can start to design my own player but when it gets to the details I get a windows error. Says I need a debugger. Will play around w it but know stp would be interested in progress.

Good job. I was able to get a more recent card reader that has the LED lights and it worked fine on my All Access as well. The older readers (without the lights) don't work for me and I've tried 4 of them so far.  Did your reader have LEDs or was it the older style?

Slimonce

• Offline Offline
« Reply #306 on: August 04, 2013, 06:38:56 pm »
It has LEDs.  Are u able to create Ur own player?  I can select a person but when it gets to the face/body details I get a common language runtime debugger error. When I click cancel to debug it says I don't have the debugger.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #307 on: August 04, 2013, 07:28:26 pm »
Slimonce

i have a fast q or 2 for u

1=is this a clean boot ?
by that i mean did u re-load the os on a hard drive ?
or is it orignal ?
2=if u re-loaded the software ? was it loaded to a fat32 drive or a drive that had been used for window's ntfs before ?

ed

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #308 on: August 04, 2013, 07:42:04 pm »
It has LEDs.  Are u able to create Ur own player?  I can select a person but when it gets to the face/body details I get a common language runtime debugger error. When I click cancel to debug it says I don't have the debugger.

I can create a player and save to a player card without errors.

Slimonce

• Offline Offline
« Reply #309 on: August 04, 2013, 07:57:12 pm »
Ed, it was put on a used IDE drive. Likely had full windows. Not sure if it was wiped prior to reloading it. Can I get a zip of the debugger and put it in or will that create more issues.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #310 on: August 04, 2013, 09:04:07 pm »
Slimonce
hi  without knowning the exact content of what :was: on the drive before
the o/s was loaded and what format it was,u are faced with a few option's
please take a better picture of the error and or write it down >the exact error inculding the  numder's < all of them
what i can make out it is in the heep stack..
on the other hand if it came with the o/s disk's ie rescue and on.
u can remove the drive slave it format it to fat32
recongig the jumper to cs=cable select
then reload it with a complete new s/w,which should solve your problem

the tech on this is easy..a ntfs drive is not a fat32 drive
and it boils down to sector 0 track 0 ie mbr=master boot record

ed

Slimonce

• Offline Offline
« Reply #311 on: August 04, 2013, 10:42:19 pm »
Application has generated an exception that cannot be handled

Process Id=0x580 (1408), thread id=0x5c8 (1480)

When I hit cancel it says the jit debugger is not available.

Don't have sw for this hd.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #312 on: August 04, 2013, 11:22:12 pm »
ya
u are looking at a hard drive that had xp
>Disable Microsoft's Just In Time Debugger...Please help, thanks ...
answers.yahoo.com › All Categories › Computers & Internet › Software‎
Jul 10, 2007 - In IE, hit Tools -> Internet Options then hit the Advanced tab and scroll down the list until you get to Microsoft VM, and uncheck all three boxes and hit ...<
try to disable as pre above
or google jit debuger
remove the ><'s
so it should read hit enter or save
this way u are shuting it down >debuger<
ask stpcore if he has up-loaded your rev of the s/w
if so save it, write them :each: to a cd rom
and burn.
 then :remount your hard drive:

ed

TritonDrew

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2020, 12:28:58 am
« Reply #313 on: August 24, 2013, 10:20:32 pm »
Great information. I'm really interested in building a portable PGA Tour box.  Anybody have an extra IO board and control panel they would like to sell? 

Slimonce

• Offline Offline
« Reply #314 on: September 01, 2013, 10:26:21 pm »
So I needed a trackball and nutted up an extra $10 for the red illuminated happ ball. Looks pretty cool and works tons better. Had to share!  Wired to the coin drop light. Wish it was led but still good 

mrcram

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2016, 05:47:03 am
  • OREGON STATE
PGA Tour Golf by Global VR & EA Sports Owners Thread
« Reply #315 on: September 01, 2013, 10:55:24 pm »
Ed12, I have a challenge and added another gig of ram same brand type on a stock tower. I have noticed no difference and same if not more lag when ball is in air. Am I doing something wrong?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #316 on: September 02, 2013, 12:52:56 am »
mrcram
no not really
just a ram mis match
or the bios never picked it up
if the bios did then the video card is using it as a buffer
chk to mk sure of a few thing first
a=if u have a 4 slot board >ram< that u are in 1 and 3
on your board it could want 1 and 2
b=make sure u have 2-1 gig rams and not 1=512k and 1=gig
as the game will not see it,u c the game expects the same type of ram
ie:512k-x-2=1gig to the game
but where the bios might see 1gig and 512k as 1.5gig
the game will not respond to it that way
windowsxpe is a fussy 1 for sure,and messy in code to say the least

ed

Biglou27

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 07:37:59 pm
« Reply #317 on: September 06, 2013, 04:57:11 pm »

I have had this same problem it seems that some software ver. needed to connect to the server to update depending on the game ver same cabinet old ver gameface worked fine then 4.1.0.6 it gives error

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #318 on: September 23, 2013, 04:02:49 pm »
Im going to design a Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf PC version dedicated cabinet. Does anyone know what versions work best supporting the trackball? Thanks!

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #319 on: September 24, 2013, 09:17:39 pm »
Most of my online research is pointing at '05 or '06 and possibly '08 for trackball support. Just curious if anyone has tried any of these versions? I know a lot of the PC game was removed for the arcade port so it would be nice to have an ultra-loaded PGA Tour Golf pedestal cabinet.