Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My DIY Skeeball build so far!  (Read 247 times)

NateFromTheInternet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:35:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
My DIY Skeeball build so far!
« on: March 13, 2024, 03:25:17 pm »
So I'm not trying to fully replicate an actual SkeeBall machine, I'm making my own version with the known gameplay.  Always been an arcade game I enjoyed, despite being terrible at it.

I'm filming all of this, and it will get edited into a full video showing a lot more details, but here's my progress.

I modeled the whole thing on Fusion, which was fun because when I started I had NO idea how to use it.  The main ramp is MDF supported by 2x4's run through a jointer to get a straight edge.  Most of the body is made from 3/4 (actually like .7") plywood.

The jump is many pieces of CNC cut plywood, stacked and glued together with three pieces of all thread running through it to hold it together.

I was able to use a CNC machine to cut out the holes and the circles for the rubber.

I used 3/16 white nitrile rubber for the chutes/holes, and it works quite well although it's less stiff and more grippy than the original chutes are I think.

The impact area (black) on the hole board is a horse stall mat, a 1/2 inch rubber sheet I cut to shape.  I regret using something so thick and heavy.  It was hard to cut, heavy to maneuver, and has no real upsides.  Oh well.  At least it was kinda cheap and extremely durable.

I'm just using 3" wooden balls bought on amazon to throw.

It's all functional right now, if you want to do manual scoring.  I wil be adding a lot more; electronics, a tv to show graphics, electronic ball drop, decorative paint, the works.

Happy to answer any questions!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 03:26:53 pm by NateFromTheInternet »

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:43 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Re: My DIY Skeeball build so far!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 08:50:32 am »
This looks amazing!  I'm subbed to this-- psyched to follow a project on here.

NateFromTheInternet

• Online Online
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:58:52 pm »
Some progress.  I'm filming everything to do a build video so I'm bad at taking the photos but here's one.  TV cabinet added to the top, base color of paint added, cork (from Bangor) currently being glued down!
« Last Edit: Today at 10:33:15 am by NateFromTheInternet »

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:43 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:44:43 am »
How much was the cork if you don't mind me asking (I'm assuming you mean Bangor, not Bangalore)?

I'm thinking of re-corking my machine.

NateFromTheInternet

• Online Online
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:35:51 am »
Ha, yes, Bangor cork (edited).

Adhesive:
   $12.22

Cork: 10 Lineal feet
   $142.52

Shipping    
   $36.93

TOTAL    $191.67