Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: automatic numeric display/countup & hold  (Read 6728 times)

bimm25e

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:28:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
automatic numeric display/countup & hold
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:50:30 pm »
I want to add a 2 digit numeric display in my BTTF cabinet that starts at 1, counts up to 88 quickly and then holds at 88 for 3 seconds before turning off.  I want this to be triggered when the ball is moved OFF of the ball launch tray switch.   any advice?  I don't know where to even start.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: automatic numeric display/countup & hold
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:53:49 pm »
Would be a simple thing to do with an Arduino or AVR.  Though I'm not sure what you mean by moving the ball.  Got a link, pics, or an explanation?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:00:57 pm »
Slippy:
BTTF is a pin -- IPDB listing here.

You can see the slot for the switch Bimm25e referred to in the lower right corner.

Bimm25e:
Manual with schematic is here.

Have you found the switch in the schematic?  (Is it SW14 on pg 46?)

Scott
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:08:05 pm by PL1 »

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 03:10:17 pm »
Got it, now the statement makes sense.  Then yeah, a generic AVR would do what he needs just fine.  One line setup as an input to detect the ball switch.  When the switch is fired it just starts a count-up loop from 0 to 88 and holds at 88 for the 3 second timer.  Output would depend on the type of LED setup he has.  Wouldn't be that hard.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 03:31:43 pm »
The difficulty is that it is wired to a matrix encoder.

If an AVR input can monitor the voltage at the switch without causing problems with the matrix encoder, he can probably make it work.

Not sure what voltages are present at the switch tabs during the press/release process.   :dunno

Scott

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 03:35:57 pm »
I was actually worried about that.  If I was doing it I'd probably just add a new switch into the side of the lane that was dedicated to the AVR circuit.

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 10:02:35 am »
hey guys thanks, I was thinking adding a second switch to that hole would be a better way to do it than to try to jump onto the existing one. 

anyone have a ballpark what a controller and 2 digit display are going to run me?

any links to things I should buy would be greatly appreciated.
I have a modest programming background (basic, c++, java, SQL), is this something that a person with my abilities could pull off in a weekend?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:04:40 am by bimm25e »

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:17:10 pm »
A simple AVR is $5.  You program it using the same tools as an Arduino.  It is VERY simple.  The language is extremely similar to C/C++, though I'd recommend getting a "Dummies" book or something first and skimming it.  Using an AVR isn't exactly the same as an Arduino since the pinout and exact capability would be a little different, but as long as you keep that in mind, easy peasy.  As far as the display goes...  tons of choices.  Some will have a built in decoder, some will be multi digit, etc.  Gonna have to dig around for that one.

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 12:53:18 pm »
thanks guys.  One more question (I see this sub-forum doesn't get a lot of action so I don't want to start a new topic).

I have a Christmas ornament that is powered by a single CR2302 battery.  Its a cool flux capacitor thingy I got from etsy.com and it fits under the main ramp of my pin superbly.
>https://www.etsy.com/listing/173091869/flux-capacitor-ornament-from-back-to-the

The manufacturer said the ornament is rated to a 5.5V power supply and could be ran from a 6.3V pinball socket if I were to purchase a 5V LDO.

I have another ornament (thank you hallmark)  that I want to include
>http://shop.hallmark.com/products/flying-time-machine-1995QXI2746.html
This is also powered by a CR2302 batttery

Im shopping on digikey and I see I have a lot of choices I was wondering if someone could recommend an LDO that would be appropriate to use tied in to a 555 socket (data easts back to the future) that would supply just a bit above the standard voltage provided by a CR2302 battery so I could buy 2 of them and power both ornaments from separate 555 sockets. (preferably bridging onto the socket while an LED bulb is being used in the socket if that's ok)
(will this one work> http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MIC5205-3.3YM5%20TR/576-1259-1-ND/771886

Should I be buying resistors/diodes/capacitors as well?  Or will the LDO handle everything?

thanks all
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:11:25 pm by bimm25e »

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 09:20:20 pm »
Those are awesome little ornaments you got there.  Good call working them into the machine!

I'm a little confused though.  A CR2302 is a 3v battery.  Seems to me that if the ornaments are being run off of a 3v battery that you'd wanna use a 3 volt regulator.  Like this from SparkFun.

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 11:09:45 pm »
Those are awesome little ornaments you got there.  Good call working them into the machine!

I'm a little confused though.  A CR2302 is a 3v battery.  Seems to me that if the ornaments are being run off of a 3v battery that you'd wanna use a 3 volt regulator.  Like this from SparkFun.

your confusion is a result of my ignorance.  If all I'd need is a 3V VR then that seems like a simple enough fix for me.  is 800mAh a good target point there? is there any specification of a VR that I need to be aware of besides the voltage?