Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PC controlled potentiometer or switching between resistors?  (Read 7747 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
PC controlled potentiometer or switching between resistors?
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:22:40 am »
Here is what I'm trying to accomplish:

I've replaced the clicky switches in my Sanwa JLFs with SparkCEs from http://www.godlikecontrols.com/
It uses IR LEDs and sensors instead of mechanical switches.
The CE version has a little 25 turn pot on it that lets you adjust the sensetivity.

I'd like to be able to switch the sensetivity between two settings (via JoyChoose); sensetive for 8-way & reduced sensetivity for 4-way games.
It would be pretty cool to be able to fine tune the sensetivity for each setting from the PC, but if just switching between resistors is much simpler,
I'd be fine with doing it that way.  Basically I want to replace the pots with something that can be controlled from the PC.

One idea was to use an LED with it's "brightness" controlled by an LEDWiz coupled with an optical sensor.
Not sure I want to make it that complicated though.

Can a servo controller be used to switch between resistors?

I need to study the SparkCE more, but I may be able to get away with just varying the voltage going to it.
Is there a USB gizmo that can do that via command line?

Looking for ideas as to how you guys would go about this before I get into some overly complicated setup.  :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:36:38 am by BadMouth »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: PC controlled potentiometer or switching between resistors?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:37:28 pm »
Im not sure if an ledwiz would do what you want, since it flashes the output to get brightness, but I could be wrong.
Another way could be to use your printer port outputs, you have 8 which can give you up to 8 steps.
Just use optoisolators to "short out" a resistor or pot if that output goes high.
And im sure a micro controller could do the same thing.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 12:40:20 pm »
And to answer your question about a servo switching other switches, it is possible, see darthpauls automated cab thread. But more than two switches might be tricky, but im sure it can be done.
If you are just switching between two settings, you might could have the switches turn on which pot you want to use.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:44:00 pm »
You got me to thinking, it explains this headache I just got.
Why not just couple the shaft of a servo motor directly to the shaft of a pot?
You can get continuously rotating servos that would turn the multi turn pot you have now.
Once you have the correct commands for the servo, it should turn the pot exactly where it needs to be each time.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:07:26 pm »
You got me to thinking, it explains this headache I just got.
Why not just couple the shaft of a servo motor directly to the shaft of a pot?
You can get continuously rotating servos that would turn the multi turn pot you have now.
Once you have the correct commands for the servo, it should turn the pot exactly where it needs to be each time.

Sorry about the headache.  I didn't want to give myself the headache trying to re-invent the wheel if this was something others have already done.
For the sake of it being silent and reliable, I'd rather stay away from anything mechanical for now.

I'm leaning toward some type of opto-isolator setup controlled by either an LEDwiz or Pololu servo controller (which can do LED outputs).
It would just switch paths between the 2 resistances.  I'll probably use pots for the sake of keeping it manually adjustable.
I'll sketch it out and order the parts tomorrow.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 03:29:29 am »
Cool. I think electronic would be much better than mechanical, should last virtually forever with little (or no) maintenance.
Good luck and I cant wait to see this project come to life.

ParabikMiPrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2014, 02:40:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
PC controlled potentiometer or switching between resistors
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 02:40:34 pm »
The Linear Technologies "pac tec project box with 5vdc ups" is no longer available from LInear or Allelectronics. Has there been a replacment or is there another item that can be used?

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: PC controlled potentiometer or switching between resistors
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »
The Linear Technologies "pac tec project box with 5vdc ups" is no longer available from LInear or Allelectronics. Has there been a replacment or is there another item that can be used?

Could you please elaborate on what you are talking about? A quick google search shows several hits at Mouser.com.

It also shows an exact post made by "Steven" from late 2009 in this RC forum:
http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?/topic/535-dc-dc-switching-vreg-project-for-wireless-av/

Are you just a spammer or do you  really need help?

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 10:23:38 pm »
Damn... spent 20 minutes looking through that damn thread before I realized the original posting was two freaking years ago! :badmood: