Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trackball Mounting  (Read 8774 times)

xads308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2013, 04:46:12 pm
  • He's on the dance floor.
Trackball Mounting
« on: December 03, 2012, 04:36:40 pm »
Hey there, I bought one of these kinds of trackballs a little while ago (go ahead, make fun of me for going the cheap route...), and I was wondering if there were a mounting plate I could use for it, maybe something by Happ or otherwise. Any help would be appreciated; thanks!

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
Re: Trackball Mounting
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »
What size is that?

Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

xads308

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2013, 04:46:12 pm
  • He's on the dance floor.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:02:24 am »
2 1/4". I may have found someone to make a custom plate for it, but if you can find one somewhere else, I'd be much obliged!

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:32:40 am »
What size is that?
Paradise carries that TB!

maffewl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2020, 03:11:44 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:34:30 am »
I had the same problem.  Here is an easy fix that I came up with that works great.  It only costs maybe 4 bucks at Lowes.  Mine is mounted using (4) 1.5" L-brackets holding the wood and (4) 1" L-brackets holding the trackball.  I used a "machine" screw from Lowes that threaded perfectly into the trackball mounting holes (I took the trackball to Lowes to figure out which one would work, sorry I don't remember the size now).  Anyhow, it's sturdy and if I need to remove it, all I have to do is unscrew the wood (1.5") L-brackets and everything is removable without messing with the top side of the control panel.  See the pics below. 

PS, the screw is shown for presentation purposes, it screws all the way down to the trackball for a secure hold.  Just wanted to show how the trackball looked in the "jig" with the screws/bolts I purchased.

(Please ignore the test coat of paint  :lol)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:37:11 am by maffewl »

maffewl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2020, 03:11:44 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:42:02 am »
Also, here is a pic of before I figured out to use the L-brackets to hold the wood.  :angry:  Everything else is the same in this pic except that I glued the wood down.  Great idea unless you ever need to remove the trackball from the bottom of the control panel.  (I can't remove from the top because of the plexi cut to the trackball size so I would have to undo all buttons, etc.)  So this forced me to come up with the 1.5" L-brackets holding the wood on the sides so everything can be removed from the bottom.  The final solution is to do it like the painted control panel in the previous post, but this may be a little easier to see what was done.  Cheers!

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 08:05:42 pm »
What size is that?
Paradise carries that TB!
Wow..... What a stupid answer.... that's why I shouldn't post at 1:30 am half asleep!  :P

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 07:45:36 am »
I was willing to let it go  ;D
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

Hawkeye71

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 03:39:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 02:11:31 pm »
Over 4 years later but I'm going to say thanks for this tip. I'm in mid control panel build and I also have this model of trackball to install. I will give this a try.

The malarkey one has to go through to get an acceptable amount of ball above the panels horizon is ridiculous. I've dug a square trench of course but the panel is now so wafer thin above to bolt onto I wonder how fragile it will be.

Seems the optional mounting plate shouldn't be optional but part of the kit as standard.

I'm going to gamble and go without ordering  the plate as it is a little ugly on top but, my word it's a bad design.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 02:52:44 pm »
Over 4 years later but I'm going to say thanks for this tip. I'm in mid control panel build and I also have this model of trackball to install. I will give this a try.

The malarkey one has to go through to get an acceptable amount of ball above the panels horizon is ridiculous. I've dug a square trench of course but the panel is now so wafer thin above to bolt onto I wonder how fragile it will be.

Seems the optional mounting plate shouldn't be optional but part of the kit as standard.

I'm going to gamble and go without ordering  the plate as it is a little ugly on top but, my word it's a bad design.

Easiest way I've found is to use one of the Metal control panels for about $35 shipped -  ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multicade-Control-Panel-w-2-1-4-IN-trackball-hole-f-Pacman-Galaga-Arcades-More-/331157615590?hash=item4d1a8833e6:g:LNUAAOSw5dNWjn8- )

Hawkeye71

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 02:50:38 am »
Oh, didn't know they made those.

But my wooden box has already been built

I think.....Above underneath supports idea  for strength but I think I'm going to have to bolt straight onto my 2mm plexi with artwork covering the horror. Wood and plexi just doesn't give enough exposed trackball otherwise. I'd rather 4 studs exposed  than an entire mounting panel.

Sorry, veering away from woodwork but, I see people generally bolt these in in a diamond fashion. Does it matter which way a trackball sits? I assumed the side that has all the cables coming out is the down direction? Or can that all be configured later?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 02:52:25 am by Hawkeye71 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:08 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 05:26:45 am »
Does it matter which way a trackball sits? I assumed the side that has all the cables coming out is the down direction? Or can that all be configured later?
Yes, it matters which way the trackball sits.

The two rollers with the encoder wheels must be aligned with the desired X-axis (the roller perpendicular to the screen) and Y-axis. (the roller parallel to the screen)

This trackball is a PS/2 model (square mount pattern) and based on this thread showing another shallow-mount method, it looks like the cable exits the case away from the screen.

The metal panel above is for a Happ 2-1/4" trackball (diamond mount pattern) and IIRC the wires come off the lower left corner.

You can see the X-axis roller pulled out in this diagram.

If you have to turn this trackball 90, 180, or 270 degrees to get it to fit, you can change the data line connections to your optical encoder to swap directions/axes as needed.

Your best bet is to get the trackball you want and test it before you mount it to the panel.

Scott
EDIT: Updated KADE forum URL.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:36:21 pm by PL1 »

Hawkeye71

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 05:56:57 am »
Thank you PL.

Hmm, remove the  cover completely. And there was me mulling over whether I should file the cover down.

equlizer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2019, 02:56:48 am
  • All your base are belong to us
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 10:19:10 pm »
I installed mine upside down which didnt matter because i changed the wiring on the ipac2 :)

Hawkeye71

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 07:56:35 am »
How did you wire it in?

equlizer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 10:23:26 pm »
I wired mine to an ipac2  :afro:

Hawkeye71

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 03:17:49 am »
yes but what wires where? I take it the second cable with the wires for the buttons not essential?

equlizer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 07:20:08 pm »
The mouse buttons?  I dont use them and they are not needed unless you want to not use a regular mouse.  My keyboard and mouse stay hidden away on a pull out tray.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 05:02:22 pm »
I know this is an older thread - but I'm facing the same decision right now..  How do I get my 2 1/4" trackball in a plexi covered CP with the proper exposure..
I'm planning on a undermount of the Happ ball and use an overlay under 1/16" Plexi to fit properly...

If I had a 3d Printer - I bet I could design a new *top* for the Happ trackball that resembles the Ultimarc trackball that allows for 3/4" panels..
Wonder if there is a market for that ...
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/