Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fix it Felix Jr. Junior -Almost Done  (Read 18976 times)

jammin0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
Fix it Felix Jr. Junior -Almost Done
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:23:38 pm »
I've noticed since PBJs hiatus that the weecades are now coming out of the woodwork.  I'll have to start thinking of a theme but I used HaRuMaNs cad plans to plot a stencil on poster board. (I have a big 30" vinyl cutter that I can put a pen attachment on to plot line drawings.)  I cut that out with a blade and scissors.   Then I carefully used my scrollsaw to cut a version out of 1/4" birch.(I. Just got the scrollsaw a month or so ago and by the end I think I finally had the hang of it so I might do another one.) 

I still need to cut the holes where the supports go but I might have a 1/2" pattern bit for my router that will make quick work of that with a straight edge.  I get about 2 weeks off for Christmas so I'll probably post bits and pieces until then.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:32:19 pm by jammin0 »

GnobarEl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2019, 04:58:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: I want to build a weecade too.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:32:58 am »
Congratulations,

I will follow closely your topic!

Termin8tor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2020, 01:54:23 am
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 04:36:46 am »
Congratulations,

I will follow closely your topic!
+1

GnobarEl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2019, 04:58:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 04:39:45 am »
@Termin8tor
Nice projects you have. Congratulations!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:54:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:31:57 am »
I've noticed since PBJs hiatus that the weecades are now coming out of the woodwork.

Maybe he foresaw the trend. . . .  :duckhunt

Scott

Eldritch1969

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 08:41:12 am »
A trend it surely is. Now perhaps it is time to have specialized boards for it, too

Mode shameless plug on  ;D

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 01:51:28 am »
Finally got around to doing something on his and cut out the side panels.  Actually we're in rainy season so it takes some effort to do everything in the garage.  I did get the brilliant idea to clean mdf dust with the vacuum but as a finisher I've started to blow out everything with my leaf blower.  The neighbors probably think I'm weird but I kind of am.

I wanted to do this in 1/2" mdf to make it less hefty but I'm starting to have some doubts.  Anyone have any experience using 1/2" on a Bartop?  I figured it was so small that I wouldn't get any flex out of it.

Here's a picture of the side panels alongside the template I made in case I want to do another one.  (don't mind the messy workbench.)

Eldritch1969

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 07:11:17 am »
hi,
I think Termin8tor has built a  bartop using 1/2".
Might ask him about his experience

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 07:26:07 am »

More useful than boards would be a prepackaged mame install for Weecades.  That was by far the hardest part of my MAME cab and I still don't have it perfect.  Paring down all of the ROMs for my cab was a nightmare.

Eldritch1969

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 08:11:19 am »
Prepackaged with what ? Beauty of it is that not two mamecabs have the same list of games/sides and CP art/buttons layout and so on and so forth.
Moreover there are some people who have different cpu power, hdd...
Having mame available is already ablessing in itself

Termin8tor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 01:01:53 pm »
I have indeed used 12mm (1/2") MDF in both of my weeclones and can vouch for it being strong enough. Once the top and bottom panels are added the thing is solid. 18mm (3/4") is just to thick and heavy to be practical for bartops.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 02:40:01 pm »
Thanks termin8tor,

I love your weecade clone so I'm glad to hear that it works well.  I guess now I just have to worry about finding the skinnier tmolding.  Looks like t-molding.com only has black and white.  I guess I'll take that into consideration as I plan the theme.

Termin8tor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 03:22:58 pm »
Over here in the UK it seems you can only get black and red 1/2" T-molding. Try to get 15mm which relates to 0.590551181 inches you can get lots of different colours over here from places like Gremlin Solutions. You just have to trim off a bit.

I'am also  in the process of building a new weecade clone and have a thread on going here. I also a more detailed thread on the Bartopmania forum.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 02:10:49 am »
I'm thinking about Fix It Felix Jr. for my artwork.  It is simple and my kids loved the movie.  Recognizable and arcadey.  Thoughts?

*edit*

I forgot to credit RidicRick at the hyperspin forums for the artwork.
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?19263-Wreck-It-Ralph-(Fix-It-Felix-Jr)-cab-project
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:27:43 pm by jammin0 »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 03:49:09 am »
Nice weecade.  The artwork looks great.   :applaud:

Makes me want to go back to my Monkey Island project.

It's sitting here looking forlorn.    :lol
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 09:45:30 am »
Prepackaged with what ? Beauty of it is that not two mamecabs have the same list of games/sides and CP art/buttons layout and so on and so forth.

They could.  Generally, games with the same number of buttons/sticks end up with the same games list.  The list is basically every game in the romset that works with that CP layout.  The Weecades are trending to similar CPs.  It would be nice to have a package that can just be dropped into something like "Weecades with one stick and four buttons", etc.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 11:19:59 am »
I'm thinking about Fix It Felix Jr. for my artwork.  It is simple and my kids loved the movie.  Recognizable and arcadey.  Thoughts?

Looks great, Jammin0.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 11:39:18 pm »

Looks great, Jammin0.

Thanks, nothing super innovative here, just copying others' hard work.  Standing on the shoulders of giants I guess.  Took a cue from HaRuMaN and am trying to attach with only glue and clamps.  Such a wee little guy I can even bring it into the house.  Seems to help a ton on the glue drying to have it up to at least 68 degrees.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:42:04 pm by jammin0 »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 01:39:25 pm »
subscribed....

AJ

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 03:31:35 pm »
Any last criticism or suggestions before I get this stuff printed off? 

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 02:14:19 pm »
Artwork shipped from souldraw.  Too bad I just realized that I didn't put in an exit button.  I'll have to get creative with the placement of that one.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 03:12:48 pm »
I just realized that I didn't put in an exit button.

What about the P1 Start + P2 Start shifted function method using an I-Pac?

Scott

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 06:45:22 pm »
That's how The Blue Pill is set up.  The only time it becomes an issue is if both players are mashing on quarters and 1+2P during play like TMNT.  Then, it goes back to menu. 

AJ

Termin8tor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 09:02:42 pm »
I'd go with a direction i.e right+coin to exit

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 10:42:44 pm »
Hmmm, interesting ideas but I'm using hacked game pads to do this on the cheap.  I will be running them through joy2key.  Anyone know off the top of their head if joy2key does multiple keys to initiate a different key press?

I'm trying to figure out how to hinge the back panel and came up with these hinges that cost $5 for the pair at home depot.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:57:06 pm by jammin0 »

Eldritch1969

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 04:27:50 pm »
How are you going to put up your monitor ?

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 10:21:57 pm »
How are you going to put up your monitor ?

Vesa mount with a  board that spans the width.  I have yet to find a good way of lining up the monitor and bezel other than having them all to push into place.  I decided to do something that would be a little bit nintendo-y for the speaker grills.  Since I haven't really contributed a ton to the community on this build I will put the template I used for those.  I'm using it for 3" speakers.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2012, 11:22:40 pm »
Man this thing is going to be tight.  I started test fitting all the components and I think everything will just barely fit.  I'm mostly concerned about the clearance beneath the joysticks.  Might change which joysticks i use and how I mount them.  I'm glad I went with the. 17" monitor and not the 19".

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2012, 11:49:46 pm »
I see some serial plates  ;D

You might be able to rout out a motherboard sized chunk out of your base. Should be able to take just enough off to get good clearance on your sticks if it is an issue. Just a thought. I had to rout out a space in my bartops, a small square beneath the shafts so that they weren't touching the base.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 12:15:57 am »
I see some serial plates  ;D

You might be able to rout out a motherboard sized chunk out of your base. Should be able to take just enough off to get good clearance on your sticks if it is an issue. Just a thought. I had to rout out a space in my bartops, a small square beneath the shafts so that they weren't touching the base.
Yep, mad props to CoryBee on the serial plates, I promise to use a real camera one of these days and get some good pictures of those.  Yeah, I'm going to top mount the joysticks but that only buys me slightly less than 1/2".  I'm thinking about using these from paradisearcadeshop: http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/imported-joysticks/79-classic-arcade-stick-zippyy-short.html

Anyone have any experience with these?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 01:17:01 am »
The Zippyys need just under 1.75" clearance from the top of the mounting plate to the bottom of the actuator.

Highly recommend this switch upgrade kit. (See the video on the product page to hear the difference.)

The only thing that some people don't care for on these is the "cloverleaf" 4-way restriction. 

Some people have modded the restrictor like this.

The mod might increase the odds of accidently hitting diagonals, but you can fine tune the arms of the switches as needed.  Details here.

Green zone = OK to bend
Red zone = Avoid bending

Scott

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 06:47:43 pm »
My stuff from GGG shipped today so it should be here by the end of the week.  I have been on vacation and had the post office hold my mail so the artwork should have come in from Hong Kong while I was away.  I can hardly wait for it to be delivered today.  I decided to throw together the CP and figure out the plexiglass.  This is my first attempt at bending plexiglass and I think it turned out pretty good.  I had my wife hit  it with a heat gun while I wore my oven mitts and bent it.  Eventually as it got closer to the right shape I sandwiched it between some more MDF and clamped it down.  There are a few imperfections but I don't think they will be noticeable, plus I learned a lot for the next time.

I plotted out an ink version of the CP graphics and drilled everything at once.  The next thing is to paint the shell and then start mounting the insides.  I'll probably wait until I have the buttons and joysticks so that I can juggle the components and make sure everything fits ok.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:49:39 pm by jammin0 »

jammin0

• Offline Offline
Re: I want to build a weecade too. 1/2/13 update
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 10:41:18 pm »
Artwork came in!! :applaud:

The blues on stickers is a little dark and the yellow is not so bright.  Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for from Souldraw.  The marquee looks great.  I taped one in position to make sure I didn't have any hotspotting. 

I had another one made up if anyone wants it.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
Re: Fix it Felix Jr. Junior
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 12:34:10 pm »
I'm to the point in the project where I'm dinking around with a whole bunch of little things and trying to make sure everything looks right.  I want to make sure everything is perfect before I paint.  It seems like I am always ending up changing something after I paint and then touchup never looks as good. 

Cheap Chinese printing from Souldraw meets my needs/expectations except I realized for this project that I would need some contour cutting on my side decals since they don't cover the entire side.  Souldraw can't do that so I ended up putting a registration mark on the artwork to mark the origin point for an outline cut later on.  Luckily I ordered 6 of the side artwork stickers and ruined 3 of them before I had it dialed in.  I should have left a bigger margin.  I didn't realize that they would trim my decals so close to the edge and it didn't leave much room to feed through my vinyl cutter.  I ended up taping the decal to a piece of cardstock and feeding that.

I've also been using my cutter with a pen tool for this project a lot.  I've made templates for everything out of posterboard.  I find using illustrator way more accurate then my real life measuring skills.  The last picture is a plot of what the back should look like including some air vents, fan grills, and some other plugs.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 07:14:09 pm »
Got the backplate cut out.  A little bit of sanding to go and then ready for paint.  I missed the controls in the mail today and have to pick them up from the post office tomorrow. :banghead:

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 10:21:26 pm »
Waiting for paint to dry but all the hard stuff is done now.  I have everything to put it all together except the t-molding.  I'm out of cash for the project and not looking forward to spending $20 on t-molding.com but I haven't really found another source for 1/2" white.

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 01:11:12 am »
Is this a horizontal cab?

It is beautiful by the way, the blue looks just perfect! I only ask because the felix game being designed is a vertical setup....

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 09:27:25 am »
Is this a horizontal cab?

It is beautiful by the way, the blue looks just perfect! I only ask because the felix game being designed is a vertical setup....
Yeah, horizontal.  4:3 17" monitor.  I realize the game is vertical but I wanted a 2-player which would be a completely different Bartop if it were vertical.  It's going to be a MAME cab running Hyperspin.  When I decided to make it I didn't even realize people where going to be redoing the game.  It's more of a tribute rather then stay true to the game.  Did you get my PM about artwork?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:37:11 am by jammin0 »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 10:06:34 am »
What program did you use to do your art for printing?  Can you post the artwork in it's native format?  Puhleeeze?

Looking awesome!

AJ

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 11:07:48 am »
What program did you use to do your art for printing?  Can you post the artwork in it's native format?  Puhleeeze?

Looking awesome!

AJ

Ask RidicRick for access to the shared dropbox folder:
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?19263-Wreck-It-Ralph-(Fix-It-Felix-Jr)-cab-project

If you want the specific version that I created to fit the weecade then I can upload an illustrator file.