Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fix it Felix Jr. Junior -Almost Done  (Read 19186 times)

mcseforsale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Re: Fix it Felix Jr. Junior
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 12:31:53 pm »
Illustrator file would be awesome!!

AJ

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 12:56:40 pm »
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:56:12 am by jammin0 »

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 01:35:58 am »
Well crap.  I was hoping to get everything mounted and running but no dice.  Something got screwed up in my PC setup and I can't get it to boot now.  Worked fine in the case.

Thermal grease was really old and when I went to take off the heat sink the entire processor pried out bending a few pins.  I cleaned her all up and put on new grease and used my hobby knife to ever so slightly get the pins back so that it would reseat.  After this whole unnerving process, I still have the same problem.  Reseated the RAM, only 1 stick of RAM, double checked all my power connections.

Here's what it does, power comes on when I hit the button.  Fans spin up including the processor fan that runs full speed.  That's it.  No beeps, no restarts, drive lights turn on but when I plug in a DVD drive the light stays solid and won't eject.  The only other thing I can think of besides this thing deciding to bite the dust on me is that it is because it isn't grounded.  Everything I read online says that the mobo grounds through the PSU power plugs but I remember having a ground issue about 15 years ago on an old P2 where the mobo wasn't grounded to the case because I had forgot 1 screw into 1 standoff.  For some reason that 1 screw mattered.  I was 15 at the time though so it could have been something else :)

Any ideas before I tear it all out and try a different PC?

Furry131

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2020, 10:55:54 am
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 09:32:47 am »
Waiting for paint to dry but all the hard stuff is done now.  I have everything to put it all together except the t-molding.  I'm out of cash for the project and not looking forward to spending $20 on t-molding.com but I haven't really found another source for 1/2" white.

hey could you take a picture of the color mix on the paint can.   I really like that color and would like to get it matched for when I break down and make a Felix bar top for my wife.   

I really like your build so far. I think my wife would love this for her birthday. I will have to build this too!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Fix it Felix Jr. Junior (question about PC repair)
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 10:33:43 am »
sounds like a power supply issue to me.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013, 10:55:52 am »
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking along those same lines right now.  I modded the PSU and added a tail for the LCD.  Basically soldered directly to the outside connector.  Hopefully I didn't screw anything up.  The LCD comes on fine and everything checks for continuity.  I wonder if having the monitor grounded directly to the PSU is causing a problem.  I guess I should try unplugging the monitor and see if I can get it to post that way.

Here's a picture of how I'm trying to power everything from a single plug.  The monitor is always on.  Pardon the drawing, I did it in word.  The motherboard is mounted to MDF so there shouldn't be any grounding except where it attaches at the connector.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:07:51 pm by jammin0 »

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2013, 10:29:37 am »
Waiting for paint to dry but all the hard stuff is done now.  I have everything to put it all together except the t-molding.  I'm out of cash for the project and not looking forward to spending $20 on t-molding.com but I haven't really found another source for 1/2" white.

hey could you take a picture of the color mix on the paint can.   I really like that color and would like to get it matched for when I break down and make a Felix bar top for my wife.   

I really like your build so far. I think my wife would love this for her birthday. I will have to build this too!

Here's the color information.  Malenko, you were spot on, it was a dead power supply.  I'm actually pretty relieved that it wasn't something more serious like the motherboard.  I already had the custom ports in the back based what was supplied through the motherboard.  There would have been a lot more wiring if I had had to replace something else. 

Furry131

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2020, 10:55:54 am
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2013, 11:00:24 am »

Here's the color information.  Malenko, you were spot on, it was a dead power supply.  I'm actually pretty relieved that it wasn't something more serious like the motherboard.  I already had the custom ports in the back based what was supplied through the motherboard.  There would have been a lot more wiring if I had had to replace something else.

Rock on thanks!!!!!!!!!! :applaud:

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 07:58:06 pm »
Well crap.  I was hoping to get everything mounted and running but no dice.  Something got screwed up in my PC setup and I can't get it to boot now.  Worked fine in the case.

Thermal grease was really old and when I went to take off the heat sink the entire processor pried out bending a few pins.  I cleaned her all up and put on new grease and used my hobby knife to ever so slightly get the pins back so that it would reseat.  After this whole unnerving process, I still have the same problem.  Reseated the RAM, only 1 stick of RAM, double checked all my power connections.

Here's what it does, power comes on when I hit the button.  Fans spin up including the processor fan that runs full speed.  That's it.  No beeps, no restarts, drive lights turn on but when I plug in a DVD drive the light stays solid and won't eject.  The only other thing I can think of besides this thing deciding to bite the dust on me is that it is because it isn't grounded.  Everything I read online says that the mobo grounds through the PSU power plugs but I remember having a ground issue about 15 years ago on an old P2 where the mobo wasn't grounded to the case because I had forgot 1 screw into 1 standoff.  For some reason that 1 screw mattered.  I was 15 at the time though so it could have been something else :)

Any ideas before I tear it all out and try a different PC?

sounds to me like you destroyed your cpu. what processor are you running? what motherboard do you have? double check for any other pins you may have borked although now it may be too late.

Alternatively, you can remove your processor and leave the fan on, fire up your pc. if you get the same symptoms then you can pretty much confirm that your processor is done for.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2013, 08:15:27 pm »
I know right, that's what I first thought.  Read up though, it was a bad power supply.  Everything boots stable on a spare PSU.  The CPU incident happened after the initial symptoms.  I had no idea you could remove a chip from the socket while it was locked down but I did it.  Wouldn't want to do it again.  :)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 08:16:50 pm »
This is fantastic !

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 08:57:33 pm »
glad I could help  :applaud:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 10:06:31 pm »
This is fantastic !
Just saw your sweet gameroom pictures.  You'll have to find room for a Fix it Felix cab on your Nintendo wall.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2013, 10:13:39 pm »
@ jammin0

Thanks !
I appreciate the kind words.
I'd love more cabinets...but sadly the 3 I have outside I want to sell. Same for my custom DK JR bartop !

Anyway......your project is awesome.
Super cool !
I'm yet to see the movie, but this game has got quite a buzz here on BYOAC.

steveh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 09:33:42 am
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2013, 02:09:49 pm »
I had no idea you could remove a chip from the socket while it was locked down but I did it. 

i used to work at a certain large electronics retailer in the computer service department.  I have done this a few times. It makes me wonder if the manufactures sometimes mistake thermal paste for glue.

good progress on the cab, good thing it was just a power supply.  bad power supplys can do some strange stuff, i always test with a good supply before i go crazy with anything else.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2013, 02:59:28 pm »

i used to work at a certain large electronics retailer in the computer service department.  I have done this a few times. It makes me wonder if the manufactures sometimes mistake thermal paste for glue.

good progress on the cab, good thing it was just a power supply.  bad power supplys can do some strange stuff, i always test with a good supply before i go crazy with anything else.

I'll have to change my technique to a twist and slide to get it off, way back in the day I worked at a PC repair place during high school and I saw some crazy things when chips would have that rubber pad on them and then fuze to the heatsink when they burnt out.  I think that the motherboards have better heat sensing now or something.  The glue/thermal paste that was one it scraped off with a razor blade so I think it was fairly toasted no matter what.  Glad I took it off anyway.

Here's a crappy low res picture of some of the project.  I'm a little bit on hold now until I find another power supply.  I thought I had a spare but it is a 20-pin and I need 24.  I can't sacrifice the one from my full-size build.

I did something a little bit interesting and unintended with the marquee and retainer that I will have to take better pictures of and share.  I found some white vinyl 1/2" corner trim in the shower board section of Home Depot, cost me about $4.00 I think.  After getting 2 pieces of plexiglass in that I was worried that I wouldn't have much of a lip to secure that to the wood of the cab.  I decided that I would use a small bead of glue at the corner to glue the front piece of plexiglass directly to the trim pieces and then test fit it/drill holes to attach it.  Well, the fit was so tight that it goes on just like that.  I sandwiched the artwork and now I have to apply some pressure to get it on and off but it sort of just snaps on.  It's tight enough though that even if my kids were monkeying with it, I don't think they would realize that it wasn't secured.  Best of all, this material is white vinyl so I don't even have to paint it. :applaud:

jammin0

• Offline Offline
Re: Fix it Felix Jr. Junior -Almost Done
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 08:33:45 pm »
Tight fit but it's going together ok.

Termin8tor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2020, 01:54:23 am
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2013, 03:54:03 pm »
Awesome.  :applaud:

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 09:15:43 pm »
Awesome.  :applaud:
Thanks man.  I have
Some gripes with the artwork.  Souldraw sent me some proofs and everything was the right size and looked good.  Then when it came back it was a fraction off.  Because I went ahead with drilling my control panel before the artwork came, it's a tiny bit off now.  Also, I lost a layer or something and the guy on the front's jacket came out yellow instead of blue.  All in all though I think it is a decent tribute to the game.  I'm trying to shell windows and sort out button mappings and stuff.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2013, 12:20:18 pm »
Quick question...what type of hinge are you using on your CP? 

AJ

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2013, 05:09:19 pm »
No hinge.  It's held down with Velcro.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2013, 09:38:28 pm »
Here are a few pictures of the back.  I don't think I've shown it yet.  Thanks to CoryBee for plates on the back.  They look pretty sweet.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
Fix it Felix Jr. Junior -Almost Done
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 10:18:33 pm »
Nice work!  Those plates are the attention to detail that I love about projects. It makes it pop. Well done!

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 01:30:46 am »
I love it!  :applaud:

The paint is amazing and the "I'M GONNA WRECK IT" dedication plate turned out well! Couldn't let you use my outdated thin soda can plates on this thing, wouldn't have done it justice.

Can't wait when I get home to make one for "Sjaaks" Fix it Felix remake. Maybe just dedicated to this or at least boot directly into the game.

Termin8tor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2020, 01:54:23 am
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 08:40:34 am »
Love this build and the plates really do make it pop (well done cory).

jammin0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 01:50:16 pm »
Can't wait when I get home to make one for "Sjaaks" Fix it Felix remake. Maybe just dedicated to this or at least boot directly into the game.

Thanks everyone, I need to touch up paint a few spots, the holes in that fan vent are a beast, I keep looking at them from a different angle and then realizing I missed spots. 

I like the paint but I don't like the primer I used.  It didn't soak into the wood as well as the gliden latex primer I used on my last build.  This time I used a water-based primer and it was kind of a bad idea.  Since this one is a bartop and is getting moved around more than my full size I feel like it is already more prone to scratches and knicks.  I'm wishing I could go back a few steps but I guess it is too late for that.  I'm thinking about selling this one to further the hobby and my expertise.

If sjaak gets the game done before I sell this one off then my plan was to boot into Hyperspin with his game as the default wheel.  I would probably just run that and MAME.  Maybe the console emulators but the more I use them the more I realize that there is an arcade version of most of the console games that I like equally as well.  The exception being CONTRA.  Alternatively I will just make a default theme for Hyperspin that is FIFJR.

Baezl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 08:52:44 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2014, 07:15:33 am »
Does anyone have the AI files still available? The dropbox link is no longer valid. 

I kw this is an older thread but what a nice clean build!!!

Hopefully someone has the files.

Thanks

Luis

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2014, 10:16:22 am »
Does anyone have the AI files still available? The dropbox link is no longer valid. 

I kw this is an older thread but what a nice clean build!!!

Hopefully someone has the files.

Thanks

Luis

They are posted on the Robotron2084 guidebook site - HERE ( http://www.robotron2084guidebook.com/home/starworlds/wreck-it-ralph/fix-it-felixjr-cabinetartwork/ ) Not sure if they are the exact ones used here but I think it is ! (they mention them being made by RidicRick )

Baezl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2014, 04:46:31 pm »
Thank you for the link. The cp is different but this helps a ton.  I'll keep looking for this cp overlay .  Seeking 2 player fix it Felix.  Thanks again

Luis

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2014, 05:04:06 pm »
Thank you for the link. The cp is different but this helps a ton.  I'll keep looking for this cp overlay .  Seeking 2 player fix it Felix.  Thanks again

Luis

Just remembered I had downloaded a Fix it Felix artwork package awhile back for this and it has the 2 player CP and is in eps and psd formats - so I think it may be the entire package you were looking for -- It is 174MB so will take a little time to upload to dropbox but once it uploads I'll post a link here for you. Here's a .jpg of the 2 player CP it includes so you'll know if you want to download.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:53:27 pm by JDFan »

Baezl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2014, 05:05:59 pm »
Thank you!!!!!!!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2014, 05:09:55 pm »
Thank you!!!!!!!

No problem it says 11 minutes to finish uploading right now !

I also saw a better looking 2 player MAME layout on Racketboy.com that you might ask the poster about - ( http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43240 )

Mr Wilson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2018, 01:24:44 pm
  • it never ends!!!!
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2014, 05:23:21 pm »
very nice mate

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2014, 05:24:58 pm »
OK upload finished - Here is the dropbox link to the package I had (it was .eps and .psd) so still has all of the layers etc. in case you need to modify. Let me know if you have problems with downloading and I'll upload elsewhere.

Linkie -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms276eju43l4g8q/Fix%20it%20Felix%20cabinet%20artwork.rar

johnrt

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2014, 05:43:18 pm »
I also have available some FiFJr artwork. Feel free to download whatever you want from my site:
http://www.379009.net/nintendo-bartop/

Baezl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2014, 06:09:04 pm »
Thank you to both of you!!!  It is highly appreciated. 

Thanks a million!

Luis