Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ergonomics of an upright driver.  (Read 1127 times)

MTPPC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
Ergonomics of an upright driver.
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:39:07 am »
I recently picked up an Outlaw and a Racin' Fury upright arcade machines. I'm  basically selling them for a guy, but in the meantime, I'm trying to develop my skillz. What I'm finding is it is very difficult to play these games for longer periods of time. Both legs get tired if you try to do it standing and if you sit down, you can't control the pedals well and your right leg turns to lead. Does anyone have recommendations on how to set up a stool and floorboard support that lends itself to marathon gaming sessions. I'm glad at this point that I never bought an upright driver and this has convinced me that if I feel a need for a driving game, a sit-down cabinet is the way to go. Please let me know if you have seen any good long-term solutions to this problem because I might want to keep one of these games if I can play it for an hour or two without my leg(s) feeling like rubber.
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
Re: Ergonomics of an upright driver.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 01:23:16 am »
I recently picked up an Outlaw and a Racin' Fury upright arcade machines. I'm  basically selling them for a guy, but in the meantime, I'm trying to develop my skillz. What I'm finding is it is very difficult to play these games for longer periods of time. Both legs get tired if you try to do it standing and if you sit down, you can't control the pedals well and your right leg turns to lead. Does anyone have recommendations on how to set up a stool and floorboard support that lends itself to marathon gaming sessions. I'm glad at this point that I never bought an upright driver and this has convinced me that if I feel a need for a driving game, a sit-down cabinet is the way to go. Please let me know if you have seen any good long-term solutions to this problem because I might want to keep one of these games if I can play it for an hour or two without my leg(s) feeling like rubber.

My long-term solution was to sell my driving games. There aren't many driving games you can have a marathon session on if you wanted to.

compute

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2018, 05:33:36 pm
Re: Ergonomics of an upright driver.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:23:09 pm »
As "uprights" go, I don't like to drive for extended periods.  I have a Turbo upright, but I'm not good enough yet to have to worry about a game longer than 2 minutes.  I think Atari Games did well with APB and Hard Drivin' uprights with the stool placement.  I think the pedals and such were angled accordingly, though.