Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best CPU/GPU combo for groovymame?  (Read 2524 times)

blackmoor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2016, 04:54:28 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Best CPU/GPU combo for groovymame?
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:06:27 am »
After playing with my setup, 2800+ AMD I noticed some of the games make audio lag or worse ( outrun, audio lag AND picture lag). So i was thinking of updating the best available motherboard,ram and cpu and with calamity driver compatible ATI card.

Which would you recommend? CPU, RAM (does size matter, 2G vs 4G) and latest ATI card that calamitys driver works on.

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Re: Best CPU/GPU combo for groovymame?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:28:41 am »
I would recommend a minimum of a Core2Duo at 3GHz or possibly a Core i3 or i5 (not sure about speeds).  Regardless of what you get, stay with Intel as MAME performs way better on Intel CPUs.

RAM doesn't matter that much, but since ram is pretty cheap, I'd go with a minimum of 4GB (2 x 2GB), or even 8GB (2x4GB) to give you some room in the future, or if you end up using the computer for something non-MAME.  There isn't a huge price difference between 4GB and 8GB these days, but if money's tight, go with 4GB.

The latest ATI card would be something in the Radeon HD 4xxx series.  For a MAME cabinet, I'd stick with fanless cards, personally.   But if you're looking for speed, I think the fastest 4xxx card is the HD 4890 (which is not likely to be fanless).

If you're going to run Windows, you should really plan on using Windows XP 64-bit Edition if at all possible.  It's simply the best Windows OS for GroovyMAME.  There are no known issues with XP (as compared to Vista or Win 7) and 64-bit is a must.  Some games benchmark 30% faster or more on a 64-bit OS.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard