Been a bit ill the last few weeks but much improved this weekend, I got out to the garage and worked a bit on this. selfie very generously laser cut some fiddly pieces for the marquee logo and rear logo from acrylic and MDF and posted them down to me. There was no way these were ever going to be hand cut, if not for his offer to help, I would have had to have gotten them laser cut anyway at considerable cost. Thanks again mate!
He cut me three versions in semi opaque, white acrylic and MDF.
I spent most of Sunday integrating the MDF panels into the rear of the cab and the marquee, here's how that has progressed so far.
Firstly I constructed a Marquee 'box' from the front sheet selfie sent me (after re-cutting it to shape) and a matching rear panel. I'm not normally a fan of kerfing to achieve bends in materials but in this case it suited my purpose.
Here you can see the marquee after some Bondo and primer treatment. In the background is the sheet of white acrylic and logo. To prevent primer from coating the insides of each cut out I've temporarily filled each with the corresponding shapes. The laser cut is very fine so no primer wanted in the gaps!
Here is the back of the cab with the rear logo panel integrated in. After surface treatment there are no joins visible. I've decided to use the non-opaque white acrylic logo here inset into the cut out.
Here's the marquee just resting in its place on the cab. I'll use the semi opaque white acrylic inserts here (backlit with a small fluoro tube).
Surface preparation still needs several coats of primer and sanding etc. before I hit it with paint.
Nearly up to the sexy stage!