Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xenolix Bartop -Build Update-  (Read 16816 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
Re: Xenolix Bartop ~~~~~~~~~
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2013, 05:41:32 am »
Since I also worked on this a little this weekend (got to keep it moving along while I mainly focus on my Astro cab) I thought I'd post some update pics.  Just some glue up of panels.

It's a fairly fragile light shell at this stage but corner joins will be reinforced with timber edging glued to the inside corners.  It's good to compare these early rough MDF construction shots with future progress pics featuring OND's not so secret surface finishing process.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:34:01 am by Ond »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2013, 08:38:47 am »
Holy carp, it's happening! :cheers:

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2013, 10:08:03 am »
Holy carp, it's happening! :cheers:

What he said!   :applaud:

:cheers:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 02:53:42 am »
It's happening indeed  :)

Here's some more of that:
The 17' Dell monitor de-cased

Cutting the bezel out on my router table

Test fit to monitor, tinted glass will of course go between monitor and bezel.

Test fit CP and bezel to cab just with tape to make sure everything is nice and square and flush along joins.

Joystick mounted underneath using countersunk screws (will be filled over for a clean CP surface).  I really like these 'push in' Sanwa buttons, so easy, and they stay put really well.

I'm going to give this cab some really nice surface finishing treatment inside and out.  The inside will be spray painted white with the exterior as per the design render.

Next up I'll construct the Marquee and add mount guides for the monitor.

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 02:58:25 am »
Didn't you build this already?  Or was that someone else?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 03:07:28 am »

Nope, this is the real thing complete with glowing marquee and rear logo and glowing front edge  ;D.  selfie did a plastic version of my design last year.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:10:27 am by Ond »

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 05:18:41 am »

I was thinking that too, Deja vooooo'd me. Nice to see a wooden version of it.  :applaud:

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 07:27:36 am »
Looking good Ond.
          Can't wait for the marquee construction.   

selfie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 06:58:13 pm »

Nope, this is the real thing complete with glowing marquee and rear logo and glowing front edge  ;D.  selfie did a plastic version of my design last year.

a nice subtle dig at me taking the easy way out without the marquee :P ;D ;D Looking good so far. The offer to LASER cut anything still stands too.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 07:05:51 pm »
@ jmike - Thanks Mike, I know you're keen on this little build, you'll start to really see it come together next progress post.

@ selfie - Yeah but we're Aussies mate - thick skinned.  You did a stirling job on your version, it sure got me energized.  Thanks for the offer I appreciate it,  actually I was pondering trying to tackle the stuff that you could do much better.  When I get done with work I'll PM the cad files for the logo to you, see what you think.

Ond
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:23:30 pm by Ond »

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2013, 04:15:53 am »
Decorative side panel pieces router cut from 16mm MDF.

Le Chuck

• I want a new quote!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • I may have forgotten to whom I am talking.
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2013, 09:46:04 am »
Man, those are sharp. Gives me some ideas. Im loving where this is headed.

Nephasth

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2013, 09:53:18 am »
Always enjoy watching an Ond build! Looking great! :applaud:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2013, 01:12:58 pm »
It's amazing how much those MDF pieces enhance the look of your cabinet. :cheers:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2013, 04:35:32 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.  It was just a few pieces of shaped MDF but it took all of yesterday to get them done.  The guide on the router table is OK for straight edges but for odd angles I basically had to nail some scrap straight edge MDF to the pieces to run along the Router table guide.  That's why there are nail holes in the pieces.  All blemishes etc. will disappear under the finishing treatment I'll give the cab.  Next up:  The Marquee and 3D logos,  there is some very cool looking laser cut stuff on it's way to me from selfie. 

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2013, 09:16:45 am »
Been a bit ill the last few weeks but much improved this weekend, I got out to the garage and worked a bit on this.  selfie very generously laser cut some fiddly pieces for the marquee logo and rear logo from acrylic and MDF and posted them down to me.  There was no way these were ever going to be hand cut, if not for his offer to help, I would have had to have gotten them laser cut anyway at considerable cost.  Thanks again mate!  ;D  He cut me three versions in semi opaque, white acrylic and MDF.

I spent most of Sunday integrating the MDF panels into the rear of the cab and the marquee, here's how that has progressed so far.

Firstly I constructed a Marquee 'box' from the front sheet selfie sent me (after re-cutting it to shape) and a matching rear panel.  I'm not normally a fan of kerfing to achieve bends in materials but in this case it suited my purpose.

Here you can see the marquee after some Bondo and primer treatment.  In the background is the sheet of white acrylic and logo.  To prevent primer from coating the insides of each cut out I've temporarily filled each with the corresponding shapes.  The laser cut is very fine so no primer wanted in the gaps!

Here is the back of the cab with the rear logo panel integrated in.  After surface treatment there are no joins visible.  I've decided to use the non-opaque white acrylic logo here inset into the cut out.

Here's the marquee just resting in its place on the cab.  I'll use the semi opaque white acrylic inserts here (backlit with a small fluoro tube).
Surface preparation still needs several coats of primer and sanding etc. before I hit it with paint.

Nearly up to the sexy stage!  :P

Ond

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2013, 09:34:15 am »
 :applaud: :applaud:

Looking sweet!!
How are we normal humans suppose to recreate that marquee.  :banghead:

Le Chuck

• I want a new quote!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • I may have forgotten to whom I am talking.
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2013, 09:39:07 am »
Have you tried steam bending MDF?  I did it with hardboard and had great results.  On small bends like that the jig would be fairly manageable as well.  Just a thought for next time so you don't have to kerf if you don't want to. 

Looking stellar btw  :cheers:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2013, 04:32:05 pm »
Thanks jmike & Le Chuck,  I have steam bended MDF before for my Astro cab on the curved rear sections of the CP.  I lightly steamed the piece in question here as well just to make the curving go a bit smoother.  Thanks for the thought though  :cheers: The laser cut lettering and logo will be offset i.e. slightly raised from the cut-outs when finished like in the render for a 3D effect.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »
This is so great. Can hardly wait for the paint job pics. :cheers:

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
    • gamestation
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2013, 05:42:37 pm »
:applaud: :applaud:

Looking sweet!!
How are we normal humans suppose to recreate that marquee.  :banghead:

have me do it in photoshop... :lol

but yeah whoa amazing work here

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2013, 08:57:24 pm »
Thanks guy's I'll be trying hard to get the best result possible on this cab.  He (selfie) wouldn't like me making a fuss about it, but it's pretty awesome to get help on a project from someone else, where it's either out of your skill range or out of your tool-sets capabilities.  I've done a few things gratis for others, it's humbling to be on the receiving end.

It's a short week for me at work as I'm taking a couple of extra days off before Easter.  Iím looking forward to getting the surface prep done on this so I can start painting it.  For this cab I'm going to use spray paint (rattle can) as usual but I'll be using Modelers paint from a Model builders supplies shop.  I normally like using automotive paints but the color range from the model supplier is huge and the paint quality is very high.   It will hopefully be better suited to some stenciling work on the CP.  I've done very little stenciling, I even have an airbrush but never used it.  I'm more inclined to use the modelers paints which are very fine in spraying.  I do have a question though,  what is the best stenciling masking material?  I'm vaguely aware of adhesive materials for the purpose.  I think Vanilla Gorilla knows about this?

selfie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2013, 05:57:52 pm »
Being able to say I contributed is thanks enough  :cheers:

On the masking material, there is a signwriters vinyl specifically for masking that can be run through a vinyl cutter like a normal cut sticker. Also Application tape, the low tack masking tape, that is used to hold cut vinyl stickers together works well as a mask provided you use a very sharp knife to cut it.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2013, 05:13:34 am »
Being able to say I contributed is thanks enough  :cheers:

On the masking material, there is a signwriters vinyl specifically for masking that can be run through a vinyl cutter like a normal cut sticker. Also Application tape, the low tack masking tape, that is used to hold cut vinyl stickers together works well as a mask provided you use a very sharp knife to cut it.

Ah ha, signwriters vinyl, thanks selfie I'll follow up on it.

Here's a look at the marquee after some more priming and sanding, I'm trying to preserve the integrity of the laser cuts, so far so good.

I'm on leave now SO tomorrow I'm going to go and paint colour match the Sanwa blue, if I can't find it at the Model hobbyist store I'll head up to the auto paints place I normally go to.  That pearl acrylic is going to look the business backlit against that blue!

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
  • Every day you wake up breathing is a GOOD day!
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2013, 11:57:05 pm »
OND, The quality of your work / projects are just amazing - I'm def putting in a lot of hours here reading your posts  :D
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html
..and restoring a Sega MegaLo 410 Candy Cab & Moon Patrol Cab

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2013, 04:45:57 am »
OND, The quality of your work / projects are just amazing - I'm def putting in a lot of hours here reading your posts  :D

Hey talkgeek,  thanks for the kind words mate, its a real boost to know my work is getting some interest lately.  I have a kind of a self imposed rule that I (generally) adhere to, and that is 'no post without something to show', well in my project threads anyway.  Damn, another week slips by without much done on this, however, in my usual way I'm always reassessing my build strategy for a better way.  I'm going to re-cut the bezel panel in much thicker MDF (16mm) so that I can rebate the rear of the panel to better mount the monitor with some brackets.  I'm doing this mainly with the long term view that the (2nd hand) monitor is not going to last forever.  If it had to be replaced, I'd like to easily be able to remove the dead monitor despite the tight working space inside the cab.   

Other things......, I tried a slimline fluorescent tube in the marquee to back-light the pearl Xenolix logo.  While it was OK, I wasn't loving it.  I'll get some white LED strips instead for a much more even back-light effect.  I like to use whatever I can scrounge in the garage but the fluro tube just wasn't cutting it.

In one trip to various different vendors I acquired all the different paints that will make up the finish.  The sample pot in the pic below is a latex dark grey low sheen.  I'll apply it with a foam roller to the bezel and marquee front,  for a slightly textured finish. The Quick Coat flat white is just for the internal surfaces.  I always think people's cab interiors done in a nice flat white look pro.  I was lucky with matching the CP controls to modelling spray paints, turns out the model supplies shop had exactly the right violet/blue which matches the Sanwa buttons and joystick ball-top.

It's great seeing quite a few new people rolling into the forum lately!.  Playing games on your own hand-built MAME cabinet is sure enough great fun, but many find the actual build process the real buzz in the hobby.  ;D

Ond

jbenesh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2013, 09:39:42 pm »

It's great seeing quite a few new people rolling into the forum lately!.  Playing games on your own hand-built MAME cabinet is sure enough great fun, but many find the actual build process the real buzz in the hobby.  ;D

Ond

As a total newbie on this board I have to say that your builds are nothing short of inspiring.  I have to also say that yes, building can be much more fun than playing.

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2013, 07:56:20 am »

Ond

As a total newbie on this board I have to say that your builds are nothing short of inspiring.  I have to also say that yes, building can be much more fun than playing.

Inspiring would be understated for me, his work is truly astonishing! If only I had OND's tools and even a small fraction of his skill set I would follow.

Between OND and Maximus my jaw is literally sore from the perma-grin, damn fun stuff here guys and please know that sharing it with the rest of us is greatly appreciated.

Jason
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top)

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2013, 09:41:52 am »
apologies for the no content bump - needed to  . . .

subscribe.

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Offline Offline
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2013, 11:03:01 pm »
^same.  Subscribe.  Looks really cool so far.

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
  • Every day you wake up breathing is a GOOD day!
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2013, 04:29:18 pm »

Ond

Inspiring would be understated for me, his work is truly astonishing! If only I had OND's tools and even a small fraction of his skill set I would follow.

Between OND and Maximus my jaw is literally sore from the perma-grin, damn fun stuff here guys and please know that sharing it with the rest of us is greatly appreciated.

Jason

I agree with the sentiments re amazing quality of work - also agree with OND re it turning out the build process is just as enjoyable (maybe more so) than playing on the finished article with your mates (or seeing a commissioned cab being just for the first time by the customer) - thanks for the amazing inspiration and creative ways you guys share with us on how to approach different challenges in this hobby of ours  :applaud:
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html
..and restoring a Sega MegaLo 410 Candy Cab & Moon Patrol Cab

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2014, 05:58:36 am »
This is awesome!

*Dreams of one day having a Garage full of OND designed cabinets

Kuraishi

• Offline Offline
  • I will grant you the honor of carrying me.
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2014, 10:05:09 pm »
I saw the green version of this a while back and really liked the design. I don't have much experience, but I took a stab at it. I've really enjoyed building and playing it.

http://imgur.com/a/uPjld

borals

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2014, 11:18:25 pm »

Test fit CP and bezel to cab just with tape to make sure everything is nice and square and flush along joins.

This might be a dumb question, but did you cut that bezel using a 45 degree chamfer bit?

That is what I use to do mine, but I swear yours seems sharper and less rounded at the corners. It could also be that my eye are bad  ;D

somefunguy

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2017, 10:24:52 pm »
any chance of a pdf on the plans or some measurements please ... I love the design

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2017, 05:49:36 am »
I don't want plans or whatever... I want pictures an stories about the progress  :cheers:

Hope it Will Come very soon  :angel:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2017, 03:14:13 pm »
I'm very fond of this design.  I put it on hold with some misplaced ideas about finishing one project before starting another....  I have no such self imposed rules anymore.  There are no plans to share though, sorry.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2017, 05:13:07 pm »
Ond,

This looks like another fantastic project! The design is amazing and I hope that you some day find the inspiration and time to complete it.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2017, 06:26:31 am »
Ond,

This looks like another fantastic project! The design is amazing and I hope that you some day find the inspiration and time to complete it.

Thanks n3wt0n, I'll work on this over the next few days and see where it takes me  :).

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2017, 07:41:48 pm »
I've made really good progress on this in the last few day's.  Pics SOOON.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31