Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xenolix Bartop -Build Update-  (Read 16756 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
Xenolix Bartop -Build Update-
« on: November 07, 2012, 05:01:04 am »
My Xenolix bartop design is about to take form.  I have been testing a custom build of Mame 147u1 on XP32 bit with mainly golden age games 1979 - 1983 (plus a few other newer games). It will be built using parts I already have at hand including:

- Motherboard from Acer 250 TravelMate laptop (Pentium 4)
- Dell 17" LCD Monitor
- Acer 7.1 Amp PS
- JLW Joystick - (modded for silent running)
- Sanwa buttons
- Small USB powered speakers

Construction materials will be 6mm MDF and plastic

These concept renders are a re-work of the original design I did for Pinball Wizard featuring the monitor in vertical config.  Cutting plans are complete; the only difference is the base will be a little deeper to allow for the JLW to squeeze into the space available.  The front edge of the bartop will be illuminated as shownm as well as the Xenolix logo on the marquee.

I wanted to be sure Mame 147 would run with the games I wanted before committing to the build.  With monitor resolution set to 800 x 600, d3d prescaling set to 2 plus a shadow mask filter selected I'm getting 99% running speed on most games which is fine.  FE will be a custom Xenolix themed Mala layout.  Finish will be high gloss sky blue, brushed look silver and textured grey bezel.  Stay tuned for more. 

:cheers:

Ond

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:29:56 pm by Ond »

Arturius

• Offline Offline
Re: Zenolix Bartop ~~~~~~~~~
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:13:57 am »
That looks amazing!, i  look forward to reading your thread :)
Getting there, just rather slowly...

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:25:23 am »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
        Been waiting for this announcement since you posted the original design.

Will follow this build closely.

Termin8tor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:47:40 am »
 :applaud:

boomstick

• Offline Offline
    • James Clay Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:40:37 am »
Well, I have to say that is one sexy concept you have there! I'm not normally a fan of bar-tops, but damn this one makes me reconsider! 

Can't wait to see your progress as you get to work on Zenolix.

dextercf

• Offline Offline
  • [thisispersonal]
Zenolix Bartop ~~~~~~~~~
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:25:37 am »
Looking good!

Sent from my iPhonophonoponononon.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
    • gamestation
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 11:34:51 am »
make me one plz. will pay :hissy:

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 11:48:13 am »
This won't divert attention away from the Astro cab will it?

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 01:57:00 pm »
6 button vertical games?   ???

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 02:04:56 pm »
Great looking design. I also happen to like anything that ends in 'lix' and has sharp angles.
Click a pic for a video tour 

werdna

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 03:37:58 pm »

Maybe Ond is a big Daioh fan?

-Andrew

selfie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 04:37:38 pm »
Very cool!! Hit me up if you want some bits of acrylic or some LASER cutting done. You're close enough that I can ship to you... ;D

Le Chuck

• I want a new quote!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • I may have forgotten to whom I am talking.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 05:32:06 pm »
 :o who's got two thumbs and is all excited for this build??? THIS GUY!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 06:38:43 pm »
You going to finish Retro-future first  ???

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 07:04:20 pm »
Thanks for the comments and interest in this project guys, I just wanted to respond to some specific remarks and questions:

make me one plz. will pay :hissy:

I know youíre keen on this design SNAAKE and if I had enough parts available Iíd consider making others, but parts (mainly the monitors in this size) arenít readily available.  Iíve just customised this design to what I had at hand.   This cab will be for my son more or less for Christmas.  Never say never though, different boards could go into it and I may source some cheap 2nd hand LCDs.  Let me get this done and weíll see.  Might be a bit $$$ though  :) .

This won't divert attention away from the Astro cab will it?

The Astro cab has priority; Iíll be working on it regularly over the next few weeks, mainly paint finish and remaining chrome pieces while I wait for the glass.

Donít dwell too much on the button config, it was just copied over from the previous design when it still had a horizontal monitor and I was considering some fighting games.  The final built button layout will reflect the range of games playable.

Maybe Ond is a big Daioh fan?

-Andrew

I love that game!  Cyvern is another fav in the vertical scrolling shooters, both will be on Zenolix.

Very cool!! Hit me up if you want some bits of acrylic or some LASER cutting done. You're close enough that I can ship to you... ;D

Thanks mate; you did some very fine work on your version of this design.  I may just take you up on that offer, maybe to cut the logo for the back and or the marquee logo also? Can you cut from a DXF or DWG file?

:o who's got two thumbs and is all excited for this build??? THIS GUY!

You going to finish Retro-future first  ???

I know itís one more egg in the air to juggle but I may be able to complete this in 2012, getting Astro done before the end of the year is unlikely, not because Iíll be spending time on this but because of the long turnaround times on the remaining chrome pieces.  Now that mechanical issues with Astro are overcome Iím keen to finish it off, Iíll be painting and sanding and  :blah:  :blah: this weekend!

selfie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 07:18:34 pm »
Thanks mate; you did some very fine work on your version of this design.  I may just take you up on that offer, maybe to cut the logo for the back and or the marquee logo also? Can you cut from a DXF or DWG file?

The LASER itself runs on DXF but I run everything through Corel X6 so I can convert just about any file format.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 08:35:54 pm »

The LASER itself runs on DXF but I run everything through Corel X6 so I can convert just about any file format.

Awsome, OK I'll give it some thought and PM you soon. 

Ond

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 05:07:41 am »
This is... relevant to my interests. :cheers:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 04:52:12 am »
I kicked off the build for this today.  It sure was a beautiful day in Melbourne today, my wife even joined me in the garage, perched up on my workshop chair, drink in hand she happily watched me measuring, cutting, mumbling, measuring, cutting, mumbling.....

The side panels are just all angles so, how to cut them out with no CNC in sight?  Here's what I did.

Print off the side panel actual size 1:1 scale from Visio diagram and stick it onto a sheet of 6mm MDF.

Then cut to length some pieces of hardwood and nail them down to form a frame exactly within the plan lines.

Flush trim the edges of this cutting template.

Clamp down 6mm MDF sheet over the cutting template, trim with a jigsaw and then route around with flush trim bit again.

Here's the result, two nice side panels as per the plan dimensions.

I've also cut out the bottom and rear panels and have begun gluing all together.  The bottom panel will be detachable to allow access to the cab.  Next post, I'll cover the shell assembly of this cab.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:05:20 am by Ond »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
Re: Xenolix Bartop ~~~~~~~~~
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 06:36:00 am »
Sweet! :cheers:

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 09:14:13 am »
   Nicely done on the template OND.
You are adding the marquee, right?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 04:31:11 pm »
Sweet! :cheers:

Hey emphatic :cheers:

Nicely done on the template OND.
You are adding the marquee, right?

Thanks jmike, correct, the marquee will be added as a separate unit because of its shape.

wol-nz

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade!? - Never! - Really? - Yup!
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 06:07:50 pm »
Hell! Time after time you just seem to create these awesome original concepts. I absolutely love this design.
I could even see some of my graphics being placed on a bastardized version of this  ;D
I'll certainly be watching with gusto!
I'm trying to imagine how your going to be able to open it to maintain the internal components.
The only feasible option i could think is your going to create some form of a trap door on the underneath panel?
My art is always free for you to download and modify as you see fit...
Why?... because I could never find any art I loved on the net. So I played around with Photoshop and wish to share it with the arcade community.

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 07:11:01 pm »
Haha even OND's method of creating cut templates makes me feel like an amateur.  Can't wait to see how this build turns out!

(by the way, I feel a whole lot better about my some of my Ryobi tools knowing that OND uses them to create his arcades.)

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 06:06:54 am »
Hell! Time after time you just seem to create these awesome original concepts. I absolutely love this design.
I could even see some of my graphics being placed on a bastardized version of this  ;D
I'll certainly be watching with gusto!
I'm trying to imagine how your going to be able to open it to maintain the internal components.
The only feasible option i could think is your going to create some form of a trap door on the underneath panel?

Itís fun designing new stuff, even better is seeing it come to life.  Your guess about access to the cab is correct, basically the whole base plate will be removable.  Everything except fans, monitor and speakers will be mounted on the base plate.  It will be a bit of a tight fit but there is room.  Iím using the teeny little speakers that came with the original laptop; theyíll fit nicely either side of the monitor.  They sound OK, no huge sound, but fine for this purpose. 

How do feel about taking the rather low res graphic from the render on the CP and doing something with it?  I think your art is pretty damn fine.  If you do want to have a go at it, keep in mind Iím keeping the graphics very simple, not much more than a blue motif on a white background.  This is it full size.

Haha even OND's method of creating cut templates makes me feel like an amateur.  Can't wait to see how this build turns out!

(by the way, I feel a whole lot better about my some of my Ryobi tools knowing that OND uses them to create his arcades.)

Nice to see you thatpurplestuff!  Heh, my Ryobi router,  Iím not in love with it, but it mostly does just fine, itís not the tool but the toolman that counts? ;D
I'm asking Santa for a new Dremel as the one I've got is nearly dead, my dream router will have to wait.

I got a bit more done today after work before it got too late, Iíll do a better progress post on the weekend.  Here are the side panels just resting on the formed back panel.  The base is just leaning against my shelf.

wol-nz

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade!? - Never! - Really? - Yup!
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 07:52:16 pm »
I think your right on the money with having something bold and clean.

If it was me i'd try to do some stenciling. When i look at the concept model i just see an abundance of angles. Opposed to the rounded motif.
It may work better to bring that angular feel into the control panel?
I'd use the same blue your painting on the side and rear on the CP and bring the grey from the bezel down as well.
here's a raw idea...
My art is always free for you to download and modify as you see fit...
Why?... because I could never find any art I loved on the net. So I played around with Photoshop and wish to share it with the arcade community.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 08:23:37 pm »
I think your right on the money with having something bold and clean.

If it was me i'd try to do some stenciling. When i look at the concept model i just see an abundance of angles. Opposed to the rounded motif.
It may work better to bring that angular feel into the control panel?
I'd use the same blue your painting on the side and rear on the CP and bring the grey from the bezel down as well.
here's a raw idea...

I like your thinking, and take the point about angles vs the rounded Motif hmmm, OK,  I think I'll draw something up for a stencil similar to what you've suggested, the only thing I want is clean (no grey gradiant) on the white part of the CP.

Thanks!

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 09:33:11 pm »
Hey there OND,

Great design as usual  :cheers:.  When I first saw your mockup the first cabinet that popped to mind was STERN's BERZERK.  I think if they had your cabinet desiging skill back in the day the BERZERK cabinet would have looked great as your xENOLIx cabinet.  Sorry I took the liberty of lowercasing the Xs.  Looks kinda cool.  Some mentioned stencils and it clicked.  I messed around on illustrator for about 15 minutes and this is what I came up with.  Do what you wish with it, you'll probably come up with something infinately more awesome, but....

Jigenjuke

If you want to mess around with the illustrator file let me know.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 01:09:19 am »
Hey there OND,

Great design as usual  :cheers:.  When I first saw your mockup the first cabinet that popped to mind was STERN's BERZERK.  I think if they had your cabinet desiging skill back in the day the BERZERK cabinet would have looked great as your xENOLIx cabinet.  Sorry I took the liberty of lowercasing the Xs.  Looks kinda cool.  Some mentioned stencils and it clicked.  I messed around on illustrator for about 15 minutes and this is what I came up with.  Do what you wish with it, you'll probably come up with something infinately more awesome, but....

Jigenjuke

If you want to mess around with the illustrator file let me know.

Hey jigenjuke,  I really appreciate this kind of input, there's something I like about these suggestions i.e. lower case xs are cool! The stencil design has elements I like as well, I'll mess about with all the suggestions and try a few things and post up the results here for comments.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 05:30:20 pm »
I received my Joystick and buttons by courier yesterday from in2amusements.com.au.  For anyone in Australia I can highly recommend these guys for Arcade parts. The service they provide is really good.  I managed to screw up my credit card details, order the parts twice   :banghead: and generally create confusion and mayhem  :lol and after one email these guys sorted everything really quickly.  Delivery from WA to VIC in one day!  I've ordered from them several times, and each and every time - great service.

Anyway I've gone with a JLF stick for this cab, I like the slimmer base plate profile.  I've also gone with the clip style Sanwa buttons.  All very nice kit!  I love the construction of the JLF but hate the click noise on the switches - it's the loudest I've heard on, well anything.  I really like silent joysticks because thatís what I remember playing on back in the day.  I pulled this thing apart and really started to go into radical OND mod mode.  I edged into "nearly hurting my brain territory" with this one.  As some of you know I have previously done a silent running mod for JLW sticks.  JLFs are different beasties.  And then in a flash I had it!  In the coming days I'll post up a mod for this stick to make it silent and super SHMUP responsive.  Also the mod can be reverted back to standard JLF in about 30 seconds (not including wiring connections).  For now its secret OND business  >:D

kingchimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 05:52:49 pm »
I have no doubt that whatever you come up with will be super sneaky and awesome.  However if you're not happy with the end result, maybe take a look at the Spark Optical Sensor here: http://godlikecontrols.com/

It's a unit that you swap in place of the microswitches.  Should be nice and quiet.  ;)

selfie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 08:28:17 pm »
in2amusements.com.au I'll have to try them out. I'm just about over supporting local suppliers when it takes a week longer to get something locally, not to mention the extra cost.

I'm still waiting for a spinner I ordered nearly two weeks ago from a local supplier. :banghead:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade cabinet has a cup holder.
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 09:11:09 pm »
And then in a flash I had it!  In the coming days I'll post up a mod for this stick to make it silent and super SHMUP responsive.  Also the mod can be reverted back to standard JLF in about 30 seconds (not including wiring connections).  For now its secret OND business  >:D

(holds off on JLF optical mod until he see's what Ond's up to......)

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 02:39:55 am »
Maybe there's still hope for the lonely JLF I have in storage after all. :cheers:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 04:22:36 am »
Pretty sure paradise arcade shop sells a silent JLF....  Not cheap though....

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 04:58:09 am »
They do sell silent JLFs.

They also have a mod kit with Zippyy switches and a .187" QD to JLF-style adapter harness or a kit with Cherry switches and a .187" QD to JLF-style adapter harness.

Scott

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 06:21:00 am »
Stop posting solutions, you'll stop the innovation! :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade cabinet has a cup holder.
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 07:19:16 am »
I tried the zippy switches in the JLF and they don't work that well with the round and octagon restrictors.
The restrictor being smaller and sitting closer to the joystick body causes the ledge on the actuator to catch occasionally.
Silent omron switches work, but for what they cost, you could almost buy the basic optical setup.

The plan for my new cab was to use the SparkCE sensor and replace the  adjustment pot with some type of command line controlled variable resistor.  So for shmups, it could be super sensitive and for 4-way games, the sensetivity would be low enough only one switch would be tripped at a time.  I'm not done looking, but the best idea I've come up with so far for a computer controlled resistor is an LED and a photosensor.

Sigh, the more I talk about this idea, the more I want to do it, so I guess I'll go ahead and order the SparkCEs.   ::)
Hope I'm not  :banghead: when I see Ond's solution.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:10:09 am by BadMouth »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 07:33:24 am »
emphatic - Sorry bout that.  I'll try not to do that in the future.   ;D

Ond - You know you want to join them in saying. . . .

-These aren't the droids we're looking for....-- - YouTube2.wmv

(Couldn't find a video clip of the "You didn't see anything" line from Madagascar.)

Scott

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 07:50:33 am »
(Couldn't find a video clip of the "You didn't see anything" line from Madagascar.)
Scott

You didn't see anything...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31