Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need Ideas for this project!!!  (Read 1690 times)

KeithPuetz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 04:26:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Need Ideas for this project!!!
« on: September 21, 2012, 05:01:19 am »
I found a DK that was absalutely trashed. Restoring it to Mario Bros.
The color is just right, and I am getting the bezel and marquee soon, computer is on the way. Now I am concerned about cosmetics!
Apologize as I brain storm outloud. Feel free to add any opinions on what can make this thing really stand out!

What can I do to make a Nintendo Cabinet as flashy as possible?
What sucks is I spent 100 dollars in paint trying to get the colors just right.
Now I want to repaint the whole sides again with a new glow in the dark orange color.
It's probably going to be the wrong color, but it may be close.
Does anyone know of a transparent glow in the dark paint, that has different color glows to it. For example, it's clear, but glows orange? Has anyone tried painting there arcade with glow in the dark paint with great effect?

Thinking about doing glow in the dark T-Molding, ATLEAST!
Does anyone know of a good place to buy via internet. I am looking for Dark Blue color.

I was thinking maybe putting a glowing lights behind the Mario Bros bezel to make the bezel glow like the marquee. I also thought about putting Lumingglas inside the arcade, above the monitor to add an extra cool factor.

You know that annoying black striped bar below the bezel (this is a DK cab).
I was thinking about putting a black light there, it's the perfect space and it would make everyone who is playing glow!

I was also thinking about putting a projector of classic arcade images (simple images) on top of the arcade that light up the ceiling of where the arcade stands. Like the Space Invaders, Pac-Man, and all that.

Do they sell custom glow in the dark side art?

Like I said, brainstorming here. Don't make fun of me. I am not planning on doing all of these. Trying to find which ones you guys think would look good. Or if someone to add any better ideas. I was thinking about Luminglas, but it's expensive, is that easy to install inside of a cab? Can I just hang it upside down using it's stand, or does it not have a stand?

Feel free to shoot me any ideas that would look cool on a nintendo cabinet!
Feel free to post pictures as well of the crazy cool stuff you did with your Mame cabinet, and quick instructions too!

KeithPuetz@gmail.com

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:12:05 pm
Re: Need Ideas for this project!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 03:47:40 pm »
Glow in the dark paint might be difficult to apply, simply because differences in thickness will most likely be very visible when viewed in the dark and the paint would look splotchy.  Depending on where this arcade will be going, a solution might be to use a bunch of materials that glow under black light and then use black lights in the room... would definitely give off a more vibrant glow and the color would be more even and consistent.

I think your projector idea sounds like it could be really cool if pulled off correctly.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:16:56 pm by Xiaou2 »

pedromoreirinhas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2012, 10:49:41 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:57:02 pm »
The best thing you can do with an original Nintendo DK Cabinet is restore it to it's original state the best you can. If you you want to pimp it, you can always build a new one with MDF.
That's my opinion, your arcade.

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2017, 08:12:46 am
    • The DaveCade
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 12:40:41 pm »
I agree, I restored my DK to an original appearance.  The internals aren't restored, it's an old-school NES which I thought was appropriate in heritage.  Anything beyond that would be, in my opinion, not good for a true original cab.