Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Modular Pinball/Physics "toy"- how could it be done?  (Read 1976 times)

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
Modular Pinball/Physics "toy"- how could it be done?
« on: October 01, 2012, 07:03:01 pm »
Disclaimer: I own no pinball machines (not for lack of trying) and most of my knowledge of pins comes from the Ben Heck Show and console pinball sims.

So I was brainstorming on the idea of a toy pinball machine, some sort of angled board that you could put different ramps, bumpers, etc. on as a way of "making your own" pinball and maybe teach kids a bit about physics. It could even have a simple score-keeping led "backglass" (but maybe that is getting too complicated). Anyway, I was trying to think of a way to non-permanently attach various components to the board:

1. Magnets- would need to be strong, and the ball of course could not be steel then. How to run wires?

2. Some sort of flush-mount 1/4 inch jacks spread in a grid across play field- would be easy to transmit signals, and plug things in and out, and they are stable (guitars & amps use them).. but then the board would be full of holes, that perhaps could be plugged somehow?

Really, I am just talking out of my butt here, but Pins are expensive (parts even more so) and the toy pinball tables for kids always seem so cheap and uncreative. Trying to think of something in the middle that would scratch some of the same itch as playing with duplos and marble runs (favorites at my house) Anybody have thoughts on how a project like this could work?
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Re: Modular Pinball/Physics "toy"- how could it be done?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:53:31 pm »
That jack idea sounds interesting so I figure have a sheet of chipboard (cereal box thickness cardboard) that you can easily make holes in for mounting stuff and to give the rest of the playfield a smooth enough surface.  Want a new arrangement use a new sheet of board and make new holes.

This reminds me of that knex pin sold in stores awhile back but better even though it doesn't exist yet.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.