Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone else playing Torchlight 2?  (Read 1679 times)

pinballjim

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone else playing Torchlight 2?
« on: October 06, 2012, 03:58:33 pm »
I coughed up the twenty bucks, I've found this game to be quite a bit of fun.

I'm not entirely sure how the online works, but I do have an account registered.  Anyone else playing it?

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re: Anyone else playing Torchlight 2?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 06:43:50 pm »
I have it but only have about 10 hours put into it.
As far as I can tell, single player and online are identical, except that online has.... other live people! ;-)

I quite like it. It's like a beat-em up with RPG elements.
NO MORE!!

pinballjim

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 07:24:31 pm »
Well, my handle is Lawdy and I'm currently hosting a game with no other participants.  :-P

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 05:08:11 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:05:33 pm »
You were a bit underwhelmed with Torchlight, is this an improvement Jim?

pinballjim

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 08:13:53 pm »
It's twenty freaking dollars and I'm enjoying the mindless entertainment.  I had some video card drama but have got it running fairly smoothly on my integrated Nvidia 6150LE chipset with the 258 drivers (that keep it MAME compatible).

I played the first one on Xbox 360 and I'm willing to blame the interface for a lot of the frustrations.

Finally got an online game going and after hollering at the speaker phone for 20 minutes I was instructed that I needed to buy a headset.  I'm kind of proud/embarrassed at how out of date on online games I am.   :P

pinballjim

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:18:31 am »
This game torched my motherboard.

:lol

Guess that's the rub when you NEVER play games on your home computer.  Civilization 3 nuked the last motherboard.

spoot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:41:20 am »
I've been playing it quite a bit.  Cleared it in normal way too fast and now running some other classes in Elite mode which is quite a bit better for challenge.  You can use your same char(s) offline/online which is nice.

Engineer + Cannon = Dead critters   :lol

pinballjim

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 12:26:43 pm »
Okay, up and running again with my new laptop.  Think I'm about level 10 at the moment but you level up pretty steadily on this game.

:cheers:

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 09:43:12 am »
It's basically your standard Diablo 2 Clone done right.  The game is a great ARPG albeit the story is a bit lacking.  The story does however improve on the original.  Torchlight was a good game too but if you played it on console I could definitely see it getting frustrating.

Online play is the same as Diablo was.  Log into their systems, find a game, join the fray.  The creator of the game is the master where the quests are.  So if you're a higher level than your friend, had the lower level friend create the game and then you join so you can work on their quests.

pinballjim

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:56:06 am »
Yeah, I jumped into some game last night where they were about level 25.  So now I've got an inventory stuffed with items I can't equip but at least I was leveling up quickly when I wasn't busy running away.

:lol

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 04:39:51 pm »
Are the load times any better than the original Torchlight?
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

pinballjim

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 04:47:07 pm »
I haven't noticed any significant load times but I'm no longer playing the game on a potato.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 07:05:33 pm »
Torchlight 1 has significant load times just like source engine games do however they might not be noticeable to some people. I just wish more games would be written to take more advantage of system with lots of ram. I have enough ram (and video ram) for the stinking game to just keep the town in memory and not take 1-2 minutes to load the darn thing every time I go there.

Of course Valve stuff is even worse. Half Life 2 is like 10 years old yet the levels load no faster for me today on a quad core system with modern hard drives than they did when it was brand new on my 1999 era system.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.