Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Changing side art on Pinball 2000: Do I need to paint!??!  (Read 17426 times)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Changing side art on Pinball 2000: Do I need to paint!??!
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 09:05:48 am »

Could you provide a couple of links so we can take a look?  It's a very interesting concept.  I'm a huge pin2k fan and am always looking for ways to extend the concept in the future.

macattack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2018, 05:35:16 pm
  • Cabinet builder to the stars!
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 12:42:46 pm »

Could you provide a couple of links so we can take a look?  It's a very interesting concept.  I'm a huge pin2k fan and am always looking for ways to extend the concept in the future.

here's some quick links.
conversion head during design phase
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac340/gbconcepts/null_zps0d386af4.jpg

various p2k cabs during builds
http://s913.photobucket.com/albums/ac340/gbconcepts/Pinball/P2K/

original tron build
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10766

transformer build
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?22704-Optimus-Pin-P2k-Build-(39-24-22)
Pm me for custom cnc needs...

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 02:17:14 pm »
Finished all art!

By the time I did the last sticker, it was somewhat routine...but still work-intensive. There were a couple of air pockets that wouldn't squeegee out during application but I worked them out the next morn after most of the water/soap solution had dried & the adhesive was better able to stick.

Slitting the auto wrap to allow for hardware (2x flipper button assembly, 1x playfield prop rod bolt, 4x head mount holes) was easy. For the 8 leg bolts, I just cut 1 little slit, because the front & back panels didn't get the auto wrap treatment, so I didn't need to cut much.

I'll post some more detailed pics shortly, and I have since assembled the cab & (shockingly) everything still works 100%, but here are a few thoughts to capture now before I forget:

1 - The auto vinyl warped a little at the 3 screw holes for each flipper assembly. This may not be an issue for normal flipper buttons.
2 - The art got damaged when I torqued the nut/bolt for the playfield prop rod. I'm not sure how to address this. A big washer would keep the art from getting damaged but cover the art some.
3 - I put the cabinet side art a little too high. I roughly centered the art on the sides of the cabinet, but the head overhangs the top of the cabinet by a few inches, & the side rails also cover the top inch or two of the side. Fortunately, I didn't put the art so high that the side rails covered it. That would be disappointing.
4 - NOS art is quite brittle. The art that I bought had a few small flaws: small tear or punch or bite taken out of an edge. A few of these grew during handling/application/schooching/squeegeeing. Darn.
5 - Trimming at the edges was tricky. If it's too long, it will leave a little flap that will get caught & probably peel back or fray. If it's too short, the white wood primer is exposed. I should have spray painted the perimeter of the lower cabinet sides before applying the black auto wrap, to prevent any white from peeking through. This is a non-issue on the head, where there's T-molding all around. There's a small spot where the right art meets the front of the cab, where my right hand brushes against when reaching for the right flipper buttons. I think I need to trim it juuuust a little bit, but I'm a bit frightened to do so...The jury is still out on whether to trim the auto wrap to the edge or to trim a little long & fold over to the back side/underside.
6 - Don't use the same 10-1 water-soap solution on *top* of the stickers as underneath. I used 10-1 filtered water-dish soap under the auto wrap & the NOS art to float them into position & then squeegee them. I still think it's FM that all that water & soap just disappears, but it sure seems to. My (small) mistake came from using that same solution on the outside to act as a squeegee lubricant. When all was said & done, I spent a good half an hour & lots of rags & paper towels & alcohol to de-soap the entire cabinet outsides (soapy water had dripped onto the front & back panels too, as well as the glass, which cleaned up quickly & easily w/ Windex). I think that plain water would be just fine for an artwork-protecting lubricant when running the squeegee over it.
7 - Speaking of squeegees, I very much liked the baby burpy cloth wrapped over a DVD case. The case was firm but flexible, & I could adjust its stiffness by using the short end or long end against the art.
8 - It wasn't a big deal, but it might have been a little easier/safer to have removed the playfield first. I figured it was safer inside the cab than outside, where I didn't have a great place to store it. As such, I went through extra efforts to mask holes & keep the glass on & such, which added a little labor & risk & cleanup, but it worked out OK.
9 - I cut up pieces of ShamWOW & stuffed them in cabinet holes during sticker application. These made for good plugs to keep soapy water out of the cab. They came out easily when done.
10 - Now the rest of my cabinet looks disappointing, especially the front panel & coin door & legs. Oh well--not gonna do any more cosmetics on this! :] I did do a little spray paint on the lock-down bar, which had a bit of rust.
11 - There are a few flat-headed carriage bolt-ish fasteners in the cabinet from the factory (holding inner playfield slide rails, I believe). If I really wanted, I could have used wood filler & sanded those super flush. But, the factory art showed these fasteners, so I didn't feel bad out showing them in my work either. :]
12 - Ditto for a few places where my razor blade removal of the old art pulled up a small spot of primer. These show through the auto vinyl wrap & SWEPI art.
13 - The front holes in the side rails from Pinball Life pretty much lined up w/ the cabinet holes. I ran a drill through to clean them up a little. I also drilled holes for each of the 2 back holes in the new rails (that didn't exist in the stock rails) & added 8-32 pan head screws to secure those rails better. I didn't have black screws, & I ran out of black spray paint doing the lock down bar, so I found some "smoke" spray paint that I'd used on an RC car to tint its windows heavily & laid down several coats. That's close enough to black, & the big fat head covers up those fasteners anyway.

That's all for the moment. I'll post complete pics & closeups of some of the above issues later.

Thanks,
-Jason

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2013, 02:18:02 pm »
One more pic.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 08:28:51 am »

Looks pretty good.  Not 100% perfect but a serious improvement over what you had before.   :cheers:

ViriiGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2020, 12:30:46 pm
  • Terminus clone build in progress.
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 11:26:37 am »
Looking good!!!

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2013, 08:55:19 pm »
Pics of the final product, with lots of closeup of the different instances of......character....

1 - Left side, assembled.
2 - Right side, assembled.
3 - A small crack in the original art lengthened during application. Very brittle. :\ Then, over time, the crack also widened--perhaps during the next couple of days of drying, the sides pulled back in tension. Compare pic 3 attached to this post against one of my previous attachments up above, shortly after application & notice the difference: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=123295.0;attach=271840;image
4 - While torquing the in-cab nut on the playfield prop rod carriage bolt, the carriage bolt twisted a little & its head spun the art with it.
5 - Around the big kooky p2k flipper assemblies, the auto vinyl rippled a bit at the 3 locations where the fasteners pass through (the cabinet has a cutout of a big circle w/ 3 small semicircles around it to clock the assembly & keep it clocked properly). At the 3 small semicircles, I cut 1 radial slit pointing towards the big circle's center. After torquing, there are 3 small ripples at those 3 places. Also look up a little higher & see slight auto vinyl wrap distortion where the cabinet rail was fastened.
6 - Closeup of 5.
7 - A bit of distortion on the head where the auto wrap folds over & tucks under the T-molding.
8 - Ditto.

To be continued...

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 09:01:08 pm »
...and now, the thrilling climax to this special 2-part episode.

9  - Bolt heads that weren't flush to the primed wood show through auto wrap. This is how they were from the factory--were I a stickler, I could have cleaned up w/ wood filler & sandpaper. Note another slight slit/tear in the SWEPI art. Also note the dilemma of where exactly to slit the end of the vinyl: too short & the white primer shows through, too long & you're left with a flap that will likely catch & peel/tear.
10 - Ditto bolt head & a little distortion where auto wrap is folded under T-molding.
11 - Ditto bolt heads & edge trim.
12 - Ditto edge trim & comparison of glossy auto wrap vs. flat black cabinet paint on front.
13 - Ditto glossy/flat comparison, another view of side rail-induced auto vinyl distortion, & a small chunk of cab where front meets right that I should have filled before stickering--a little weirdness just in front of right flipper.
14 - Edge trim on bottom. Also note a little right of photo center, near the cab bottom, a little waviness resulting from a small chunk of primer being scraped off accidentally along w/ the old factory sticker, and not being filled before restickering.
15 - A couple of lumps, probably from debris under the sticker(?)
16 - Ditto.

Enjoy. I hope it's been educational. I've learned that I don't ever want to re-decal a cabinet again. So, I'm currently looking into stencil & spray paint on my MAME cab, which has terribly flawed surfaces to start with! :]

Thanks,
-Jason
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:03:16 pm by jasonbar »

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2013, 08:20:06 am »
WOW... nice write-up...

I bet hose imperfections are entirely invisible when playing the game.... I know I can't see them from my house.

So what its not perfect... still looks better than before.

After this thread I KNOW I am SCARED to tackle my No Fear...

Maybe. we just might be selling the artwork intead.

Nemesis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2016, 11:46:20 am
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2013, 04:57:37 pm »
 :applaud: you just destroyed the resale value.  :banghead: :cry: :censored:

insx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 07:36:18 am
  • I dabble in Retropie and virtual pinball
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2015, 11:58:34 am »
@macattack Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just joined and I am not allowed to post PMs. Do you have a CNC template for the RFM cabinet available? I'm talking to someone about some custom decals.