Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Do push buttons come with wires?  (Read 1537 times)

hackingthebox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2012, 08:24:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Do push buttons come with wires?
« on: October 12, 2012, 07:38:04 pm »
Hi, My first mame cabinet (bartop) is about 50% complete. I am about to order my buttons from GGG. I went with the HAPP buttons and the keywiz max 2.0. I wanted to know if I have to purchase wires for my buttons or do the buttons already come with wires.

Thank you so much. I'm just waiting for this info so I can checkout.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
Re: Do push buttons come with wires?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:40:07 pm »
Unless the seller is advertising it as some sort of package, no, they will not come with the wires.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

hackingthebox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 07:48:11 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up for me.. The only wires I see on GGG are stated as "For light up buttons"

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=385

will these work for non light up buttons? I cant seem to find any other wires on the site.

Sorry for the total noob questions. I would like to order from one website and place my order asap.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:53:47 pm »
You picked a good vendor to work with too.  I've only ordered from GGG and T-mold.com in my projects so far.  Randy was very good about answering my stupid questions and order was quick and well packed.

hackingthebox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 08:03:13 pm »
Thanks, that's good to know. I just wish he had a phone number on his website.
Though I think my biggest problem is figuring out how I'm going to fit this 21' monitor in this little cabinet.
I was going to go with a 19" but then I found two 21.5" samsung syncmaster 213T's on CL. $110 for the pair, I couldn't pass it up.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:35:46 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 08:38:19 pm »
Hi, My first mame cabinet (bartop) is about 50% complete. I am about to order my buttons from GGG. I went with the HAPP buttons and the keywiz max 2.0. I wanted to know if I have to purchase wires for my buttons or do the buttons already come with wires.

On the page where you order the KeyWiz, select the appropriate radio button just above the quantity, select "up to 30 Switches (+$14.50)   (+0.45 lbs)" based on the pic you posted:

P1 Joystick and buttons = 10 switches
P2 Joystick and buttons = 10 switches
Admin buttons and/or 2-4 pinball flippers (P1 Coin, P1 Start, P2 Coin, P2 Start, Exit, Pause, Enter, Menu/Tab) = 1 more wire per switch

Total 26-32 switches.

If you previously ordered the KeyWiz, PM RandyT and ask him if you can add the "Pro Wiring Set for up to 30 switches" on to your button order.  He'll probably hook you right up.

The only wires I see on GGG are stated as "For light up buttons"

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=385

will these work for non light up buttons?

This wire set consists of 2 daisy chains with .250" Quick disconnects, one for ground like normal buttons, the other for operating voltage for the LEDs.  These connect to the 2 QDs on the LED socket on the right below -- red on one side, black on the other.

Regular microswitches (left below) require one wire leading directly to the encoder and a daisy chained ground.  When you press a button, it connects that encoder input to ground.

If you look closely, you'll notice that the LED sockets use .250" QDs, but the microswitch uses .187" QDs (Some other switches use the smaller .110" QDs)

In order to use the wire set you linked for regular switches, you'd have to cut up one of the daisy chains and splice more wire onto the pieces so they'll reach the encoder.   :angry:

Scott
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:06:44 pm by PL1 »

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 08:50:40 pm »

On the page where you order the KeyWiz, select the appropriate radio button just above the quantity, select "up to 30 Switches (+$14.50)   (+0.45 lbs)" based on the pic you posted:

Doh! Good catch Scott. I didn't think about it being an option on the Keywiz. Yeah, another +1 for Randy, he is top notch.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter