Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BYOACers helping BYOACers  (Read 32163 times)

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
BYOACers helping BYOACers
« on: October 09, 2012, 01:23:01 pm »
I'm posting this here to get some more visibility, particularly for BYOACers in SW Ontario, Canada.

This past month, BYOACer lcmgadgets tragically lost his wife Laura. He is left caring for (and homeschooling) their 7-year old son who has Autism. As some of you know, I have two kids with Autism. The demands, both on the wallet and time, can be crippling. This has brought Craig's 6-year quest for an arcade cabinet to a grinding halt.

As suggested by Chad, I am trying to coordinate getting a cabinet together for Craig and his son. I have most of the makings of a 48-in-1 cabinet handy. I may or may not have a working arcade monitor, but do not have a suitable donor cabinet that isn't already in process for other projects.

If you can help, please post or PM me.

It's not charity.  It's humanity.  You're one of us and we take care of our own when we can.

Is there anyone in the Ontario area that might be able to help this guy out with his cab?  Or maybe find him a working game on which we can chip in to buy? 

I'll put some irons in this particular fire -- London is pretty much the coinop capital of SW Ontario and we should be able to come up with something. At the very least, I've got the assorted bits and bobs that most hoarders collectors have (including spare game boards ... think I have a 48-in-1 lying around ... and JAMMA harnesses), but no actual usable cabinet right now. I'll need to take a look at my monitor situation to see what I have there.

Any other BYOACers in London or here in Toronto that can lend a hand ? Drop me a PM.

EDIT: I had a quick look in the stash and pulled out a balltop stick, buttons, JAMMA harness and a 48-in-1 "B" board looking to go to this good home. I probably have a power supply as well, but need to test the ones I have. Probably also have some T-molding lying around as well. Who can fill in the missing pieces ? (As Chad points out, we can chip in and pay for stuff)

:cheers:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:28:55 pm by CheffoJeffo »
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
Re: BYOACers helping BYOACers
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 01:42:00 pm »
I am too far away to help but can throw some cash in to help.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:34:20 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 02:12:21 pm »

Ditto. Maybe saint could setup a paypal slush fund and someone close by Craig can build and deliver it.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 03:34:34 pm »

I love how this is taking off.  BYOAC is a wonderful place.

Should we wait until we hear back from lcmgadgets to set a specific goal?  Only he knows what he and his son could make best use of right now.  We don't know if he has space for a full cabinet, or maybe he just needs help getting his finished, or perhaps a nice JAMMA cab is the answer.  Right now we're all motivation but little information.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:54:57 pm »
My thoughts were for a turnkey low maintenance solution -- that, and the fact that I have parts onhand, is what I was thinking (that, and the fact that I can wire up a JAMMA cab in no time whereas I don't have the time to build and configure a MAME cab and didn't want to volunteer anybody else local).

I already have a PM from somebody who has parts to share.

:cheers:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 04:01:58 pm »

You're the right person to drive this, obviously, since you're the most local.  Let us know what we can contribute when you have that info.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:09:15 pm »
You know.... this is just a thought and all.

Would it be more prudent to find out what he needs first? I admit I don't know what life is like with autism but I'm guessing something stupid simple like shopping or cooking is a bit of a challenge? Or maybe someone to watch the child while he does what needs be done in arrangements? Maybe filling his car with gas?

I'm just suggesting. I like the idea of BYOACers helping each other out, but we should be careful not to give anyone a white elephant.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 04:15:19 pm »

I agree but we're working within the scope of the community and what we know.

If he comes back and says he's having difficulty with a basic need like that I say we jump all over it if we can.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 04:16:36 pm »

How about this. There are crazy number of parts in our collective basements , more than enough to build any cab. But if we throw cash into the pot, can we opt to throw it into his trust? I believe it was mentioned a trust was opened?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 04:29:36 pm »
How about this. There are crazy number of parts in our collective basements , more than enough to build any cab. But if we throw cash into the pot, can we opt to throw it into his trust? I believe it was mentioned a trust was opened?

That sounds like a great option to me.  And a good emphasis on things that are more important than games.

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 05:00:03 pm »
Helping each other is why we are here.  If its a trust or for a cabinet, its all going to someone we can help have a slightly less awful day.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 05:01:35 pm by Hoopz »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 05:21:04 pm »
We can easily help with a few bucks AND get him set up with something to play on - if he wants it.  Any cash is obviously going to be a token amount compared with the needs, but definitely won't hurt. 

As noted on the other thread, I can kick in parts I have, carpentry for something shippable like a cp box, etc.

FYI what I have:  Ms pac man jamma bootleg board, couple of happ supers (black bat top) happ ms pac reunion (red balltop) red/blue/black buttons/switches probably 20 total.  No interface but add in a $20 interface and that's a CP right there.  couple sets of unused pc speakers-the cheap ones from RandyT.  Couple of leaf buttons/switches bought but never used.  I'd even put a box o crap on ebay and generate cash if that works better. 

Thanks to Cheffo for his offer to organize and for his valuable life experience/advice.  Jamma/xx in 1 could be a great way to make a stress free, solid cab.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 07:38:24 pm »
We can easily help with a few bucks AND get him set up with something to play on - if he wants it.  Any cash is obviously going to be a token amount compared with the needs, but definitely won't hurt. 

This.

I can handle the cab aspect (dude asked for a white elephant and, dammit, he is going to get a white elephant ... the idea, however, was to make it turnkey) and any advice I can give wrt Autism. We probably want somebody more responsible to handle donations to the trust (At least I do).

In the past, we have had vendors donate a portion of sales to worthwhile arcade-friendly sites and deserving charities. In the event that a vendor should do something similar here, I would encourage everybody to stock up on parts for their next cab ... and the one after that.

I have power supplies, so we are covered there (thanks to the so-far anonymous good guy who offered one up), and have a call out to the local community for a donor cab and monitor, which is all I seem to be missing (and can probably come up with in a pinch).

EDIT: Thanks to saint for the stickum!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:54:41 pm by CheffoJeffo »

Turnarcades

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 08:15:26 pm »
It's been a while since I checked in here but that's no excuse to distance myself or for tardiness. Being arcade builders of some rep now, even here in the UK I'm happy for us to help in any way we can. Parts, whatever, give me a list and I'll see what I can do.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 08:22:33 pm »
I now have a line on a donor cab, so we may be good to go for my 48-in-1 idea.

If it turns out that Craig can't make use of it, we can always sell it to raise funds (although I would like to see him accept the cab, then get to finish his MAME cab at a suitable pace, at which point he can sell the 48-in-1 to raise additional funds).

:applaud: and  :cheers:

EDIT: The local collector communities, both here and in London, are coming out with lots of support. One of the better xx-in-1 builders in SW Ontario is in London and has volunteered delivery, setup, support and repair services. A collector local to me is going to donate a cab from his shop and I have offers of sticks, buttons and harnesses from others. After being in a bit of a funk recently concerning this hobby, I am once again energized. Thanks everybody! Now get back to your fundraising!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:08:58 pm by CheffoJeffo »

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 08:39:30 pm »
I like this thread. Will stay in loop on how to help out.  :cheers:
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 12:07:25 am »
Count me in for any art, design, logos etc or cash donation once I know where to send it.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 07:48:54 am »

I will handle the fund raising if that's acceptable to everybody else.  I've never done this before so all advice is welcomed.

The first suggestion was to use gofundme.com.  Does anyone have a better suggestion? 

t3design

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 07:19:01 pm
  • Orange Power! Go Pokes!
    • Cowboy Arcade Project
BYOACers helping BYOACers
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 09:25:05 am »
PayPal is going to take 3%. A site like gofundme takes another 5%. What you get for that is the assurance that the money is going to our friend. If he has a Paypal account we could just send directly to him and let him keep the extra 5%.

Just my two cents.
Cowboy Arcade Project ThreadCowboy Arcade Project Website
If you are an obsessive/compulsive pyromaniac, you better make sure you wear flame retardant pajamas.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 09:46:36 am »
PayPal is going to take 3%. A site like gofundme takes another 5%. What you get for that is the assurance that the money is going to our friend. If he has a Paypal account we could just send directly to him and let him keep the extra 5%.

Just my two cents.

That is the sort of feedback I was looking for.  Do we need to use a formal website or should we simply set up a direct donation account?  Maybe the trust has a way to directly contribute.  Some of them are set up that way.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:27 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 10:03:56 am »
If you use PayPal gift, the fees, if any, are charged to the giver.  There are no fees if giving from existing funds, but there are fees from giving from a credit card, etc.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 10:10:33 am »
If you use PayPal gift, the fees, if any, are charged to the giver.  There are no fees if giving from existing funds, but there are fees from giving from a credit card, etc.

:stupid

Having Craig provide a PP account address that donations can be sent directly to would be the best deal.  If for any reason Craig can't open a pp account then a proxy could be used (think of Ken Layton's innernets) but a direct account would take all of the guess work out and leave whoever is cheerleading the giving to do exactly that and not actually handle any funds. I'm down for a donation of parts and cash.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 10:14:56 am »

Does Paypal have a limit on the number of gifts an account can receive?  Their free services have always been set up with limits to keep them low volume.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:27 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 10:42:05 am »

Does Paypal have a limit on the number of gifts an account can receive?  Their free services have always been set up with limits to keep them low volume.

None that I am aware of.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 10:49:59 am »

None that I am aware of.

Yeah, but the horror stories of pp freezing accounts for undefined.amounts of time because of "unusual" activity or from even a hint of complaint is bountiful. Pissed off Child's Play charity enough that they ditched PayPal. I don't think he needs that kind of headache.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 12:32:12 pm »
iv'e only ever heard of paypal freezing funds on limited accounts...not on verified accounts. I suppose it could still happen. somebody should really READ that terms of service thingie that people just click agree too when they sign up...i imagine it's all laid out there.

I've heard that $2000 is the magic number that gets their attention... transferring back to account or into paypal.

also using the paypal account before it's verified shows up as a red flag too.

other red flags i've heard about:

- logging into the account from several different IP addresses

- registering a name, address, phone number, email address that is the same as one that has been flagged before...even if it's similar.

- transferring funds to or from someone who is or has been previously investigated.

- you have bought or sold something on ebay that is popular for scammers to sell (playstation 3, OEM software etc).

- you have recieved money from someone living in paypals "watch these countries" list

-transferring money whilst using the same IP address to accept it.

-by me typing out these bad things about ebay they could limit or freeze my account.  :embarassed:

there are literally 100's of scenarios which paypal will flag or freeze your account.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 12:58:36 pm »
Hey saint, where's the damned :recoil smiley?

http://www.yourlifemoments.ca/sitepages/obituary.asp?oid=640385

EDIT: No need for the editorial.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:09:32 pm by CheffoJeffo »

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 01:07:27 pm »
In for a monetary donation.  My parts pile all have future homes

My sister lives in Guelph, had to check a map, but isn't too far.  I'm overdue for a visit, so if I can help in any way, let me know.

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 08:52:26 pm »
I've seen people just open up an account at a bank and spread the routing and account number info as well as the name on the account.  If you live anywhere near a local branch you can just make a deposit and it doesn't cost anything.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 07:44:50 am »
I will be picking up the cabinet on Sunday morning -- many thanks to 762762 over at CGCC for his donation!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 08:55:06 am »

Nice!

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 10:46:25 am »
I've seen people just open up an account at a bank and spread the routing and account number info as well as the name on the account.  If you live anywhere near a local branch you can just make a deposit and it doesn't cost anything.

Problem is it isn't the same bank in every country.

dextercf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2022, 05:26:18 pm
  • [thisispersonal]
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 05:18:33 pm »
I need to sign up for this.
Any help I could give, although I'm located in Norway (the country), would be available!

claremont

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2012, 06:37:04 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2012, 05:44:37 pm »
I was widowed at the age of 30. From first hand experience I can tell you that having things that keep you busy are very valuable. And I dont mean spending more time with  your child (as negative as that sounds). In my experience I needed mindless, time consuming, complete distraction.

If he has the capability, BUILDING a cab will likely be a good distraction from his dark reality right now. Giving him a completed cab? Pribably not so much.

Want some insight as to what he is going through, read the diary I wrote during my wife's last days. It is an eye opener into the reality of widowhood.

http://www.amazon.com/Loss-Of-An-Angel-ebook/dp/B005645DJI/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

EightBySix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2021, 01:50:16 pm
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2012, 06:01:15 pm »
I'll help from the uk in which ever way is practical.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2012, 07:02:59 pm »
I was widowed at the age of 30. From first hand experience I can tell you that having things that keep you busy are very valuable. And I dont mean spending more time with  your child (as negative as that sounds). In my experience I needed mindless, time consuming, complete distraction.

If he has the capability, BUILDING a cab will likely be a good distraction from his dark reality right now. Giving him a completed cab? Pribably not so much.

Want some insight as to what he is going through, read the diary I wrote during my wife's last days. It is an eye opener into the reality of widowhood.

Dude, there is a right and a wrong way to plug your book, no matter how germain it may be.  Good luck with your sales.

claremont

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 08:10:34 pm »
Hey Le Chuck, I am sure you are not that naive. If you think I am punping sales at a profit of 12 cents per book you are, shall we say, mistaken. I am willing to bet that a minuscule number of people reading this thread have any idea what this guy is going through. I do. If I am promoting anything it is awareness.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:16:17 pm by claremont »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2012, 08:20:30 pm »

Dude, there is a right and a wrong way to plug your book, no matter how germain it may be.  Good luck with your sales.

yeah, i'm not sure I like where this is going.  :-\

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 08:27:35 pm »
Hey Le Chuck, I am sure you are not that naive. If you think I am punping sales at a profit of 12 cents per book you are, shall we say, mistaken. I am willing to bet that a minuscule number of people reading this thread have any idea what this guy is going through. I do. If I am promoting anything it is awareness.

Then send him a free copy.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:30:48 pm by Le Chuck »

claremont

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2012, 08:32:34 pm »
My point was, if you want to HELP, then TRY TO UNDERSTAND. That was the most frustrating part of being widowed for me. The fact that people wanted to help, but very few made the effort to understand what I was going through. And of course, I dont blame them. Writing a check is easy, but impersonal. Widow(er)s dont want your money. They dont want your sympathy. They desperately want someone to understand what the hell they are going through, at a time when not even THEY understand.

So if you think my post had ulterior motives, or was poorly placed then you have no idea where I am coming from, and that is OK, but dont dare consider this a spam post. Unless you have been there and done that, you have no idea.

Send him a copy? I will do one better. Every penny from every sale for the next thirty days goes stright to his fund. The only reason the book is 99 cents is because I cant price it any lower per amazon rules.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:36:25 pm by claremont »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2012, 08:56:45 pm »
My point was, if you want to HELP, then TRY TO UNDERSTAND. That was the most frustrating part of being widowed for me. The fact that people wanted to help, but very few made the effort to understand what I was going through. And of course, I dont blame them. Writing a check is easy, but impersonal. Widow(er)s dont want your money. They dont want your sympathy. They desperately want someone to understand what the hell they are going through, at a time when not even THEY understand.

So if you think my post had ulterior motives, or was poorly placed then you have no idea where I am coming from, and that is OK, but dont dare consider this a spam post. Unless you have been there and done that, you have no idea.

Send him a copy? I will do one better. Every penny from every sale for the next thirty days goes stright to his fund. The only reason the book is 99 cents is because I cant price it any lower per amazon rules.

Cool beans!  Copy purchased.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2012, 07:07:19 am »

I am so very sorry for your loss and I thank you for lending insight into something that the rest of us can't possibly understand.

Having said that, your specific experience is colouring your commentary a particular shade that ignores the other issues at play (finances, time and a little boy with quite a list of challenges) and misses the point of what we are trying to do. None of us can truly understand what this guy is going through. Not you. Not me.

I understand your frustration (how many people do you think can even understand what it is like having a child with Autism ... not just the emotion and strain, but the dollar cost and crushing restrictions on personal time), but there is no need to belittle the efforts of others simply because you see the world through a differently-shaded lens.

Craig has posted that he lacks the time and money to finish building his cab, even though he really wants a cab. We can get him a cab and we can get him some money.

If you believe that to be easy, impersonal and not particularly helpful, then I am sorry -- we are doing what we can.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2012, 09:00:24 am »

Have we heard back from him?  Do we have any real contact info?  I want to get something set up while folks are still willing to donate.  I need a way to get the cash to him before I open up the donations.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 09:06:12 am »
He hasn't been back yet. I will try to get you contact info today.

EDIT: I have the account information for the trust and the funeral home is going to let him know and pass along my contact information.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:27:45 am by CheffoJeffo »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 11:36:03 am »

I have the trust info from Cheffo.  It looks like the best way to do this is for me to handle the process and Cheffo himself can make the trust deposit in person at a Bank of Montreal branch.

I'm thinking I can set up a dedicated paypal account and then transfer the money to Cheffo at some predetermined date.  How does that sound to everybody else?

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2012, 11:44:14 am »
Make it happen, cap'n.

stu33

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2017, 07:36:55 am
    • Cheese Is a Lifestyle
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2012, 01:30:31 pm »

I have the trust info from Cheffo.  It looks like the best way to do this is for me to handle the process and Cheffo himself can make the trust deposit in person at a Bank of Montreal branch.

I'm thinking I can set up a dedicated paypal account and then transfer the money to Cheffo at some predetermined date.  How does that sound to everybody else?

Sounds good to me, as long as you give enough time to ebay some stuff so I can make a paypal gift :)
http://cheeseisalifestyle.blogspot.com

Hey...don't judge me...everyone has a blog nowadays...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 03:43:44 pm »

Sorry guys, got sidetracked this weekend with family stuff, I hope to have the Paypal account set up and available within the next 48 hours.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2012, 01:14:03 am »
This is my 2nd attempt to post here. My lap top seems to b acting up, I get so far into writing the post, & then it locks up. So now I'm trying again, on my wife's ipad.

Finally, I got a chance to follow CheffoJeffo's link to this thread. All I can say is, guys, this is so, so far over the top. I had no idea I'd find so much here. The outpouring of sympathy, advise, suggestions, aid, its been...overwhelming. What can I say? Thanks? Not nearly enuf. Please, if no one else does, I'm going to try to keep this thread going (no promises, I'm swamped, as u might imagine), so that I can pay it forward to any1 & every1 else on my favourite forum who can use any kind of help.

I also had no idea that this was started specifically 4 me & Harrison. I thot it was a thread that had existed 4 a while that I simply hadn't known about. U can bet I"m going to try to explain to him what this is, & who u guys r (not suggesting that he can't understand, hes very high functioning, & very smart, but as he has no xperience with forums...). Again, people...I don't know what to say. I'm at a complete loss. I don't feel I deserve it. I actually feel a bit of guilt. When I started my 'I never thot I'd post anything like this' post, I thot I was just selfishly using this forum as a place to vent where no one else in my family would b likely to c it; &, as I said later there, I'm sorry 4 sharing an xperience that could cause nightmares.

I still haven't had the time to more than scan the many replies to my post, but I have seen many excellent suggestions, most of which my wife had already pursued (Laura was...driven is the correct word...to find each & every source of aid 4 our son). Laura did 90% of the work in the search 4 help 4 us, &, unfortunately, kept the bulk of the results of her work in her head. So now I'm playing a very serious game of catch up. I'm getting there, but it will take time, & I cannot pretend to ever replace my wife, the genius. I was the labourer, she was the brains. I will do my best, & with the help of friends, family, professionals, & near strangers--u guys! we will survive & thrive, & my son will b educated & attain independence & success. But, back to the point, I am trying to pursue the suggestions that sound new to me. Thanks. It'll take time, but I will get there. About education, I did decide over the weekend that, although I'm not yet at the point where I can fully homeschool Harrison, I can start small, & so we began working on reading (yes, just reading) this morning. Harrison will learn reading by 'sight' (best way 4 most with autism), & his recall of words he hasn't reviewed in over 6 nonths (we've been too tied up with Laura's health issues) is surprising.

Many of u have offered contributions to Harrison's trust fund, again, this is amazing. 1 warning, the same I sent in a message to CheffoJeffo--the account the money is going into is, at this point, completely open to me. I c my lawyer this week, dealing with issues of Laura's estate (we hadn't completed our wills--we'd been working them out, & it had literally come down to 1 last appointment, to sign the final papers, when this happened), & I'm going to try to lock down the details of the trust fund then (the thinking at this point is to make it accessible only to Harrison, on his 18th birthday). The point is, if u don't want to trust me, & I could hardly blame u, don't contribute yet. I could 'steal' the money, if I wanted. At this point, all I can do is give u my word, 4 what its worth, that every penny contributed to Harrison's trust fund that goes into that account will b locked in so that only he can get it (as I already said, it seems appropriate that it'll bcome accessible on his 18th birthday, but if the lawyer comes up with an alternative, like, say, that it would go to his guardian, to b used 4 Harrison's care, should anything happen to me...). Again, thank you, thank you, thank you. I have already told Harrison about this, & I'm spreading the word to my father-in-law, other relatives & friends, to let them know of your generosity.

Finally, many of u have talked about getting me an arcade cabinet! This is way above & beyond, but...my...greed...makes me unable to say no. &, honestly, Harrison would love it! Hes developed a love of the classic arcade games (my bad influence), he especially spends a lot of time playing or watching youtube videos about the whole 'ghosts n' goblins' series (also 1 of my favourites). I must admit, with some shame, that when CheffoJeffo pm'd me about this, I actually was brazen enuf to make a specific request. Now, in my undeserved defense, I repeat what I said to him; if u guys scraped together a piece of crap with a stick & a button on it, I'd cherish it, post about it with pride, & scream the names of those who were part of the project to the gods to honour. But, if some1 was willing to build me a cab for pay, I CAN PAY. I saved a considerable chunk of change up over the 6 years of this project, most from my dad's estate, which I've often been tempted to spend on more practical items, only to b ordered by my wife to save it 4 the cab. So, as CheffoJeffo said, I'm after a white elephant. I have the bulk of the parts--all the controls except a steering wheel & pedals (which I might b able to get from mherman--last I was able to communicate with him, he was willing to sell me his Thomas Super Wheel & pedals) (except 4 a few specialty controls, like a DOT handle (I'll mount it on 1 of the u360's I have), & my Star Wars yoke requires some tlc), a monitor, motor, wheel, & controller to rotate it, a stern coin door (requires tlc), tmoulding, elwire & polyethylene trim to make lit-up tmoulding, an i-pac4, a PacLED 64, a rotary joystick interface, & 2 microsoft sidewinder dual strike controllers (for the Star Wars hack--yeah, I know, no 1 does it that way anymore). What I don't have is the time, workshop, tools, wood, paint, artwork, lexan, plexy, all the screws, glue, etc., that would b needed to go with it, or the 24" lcd monitor I wanted 4 the marquee. So what is my white elephant? I have $2500 to pay, & all my parts to contribute, & my personal dignity to sacrifice, to any1 who will build me a 'Ghost in the Machine Mark II' near-clone, the 1 change being the addition of an lcd marquee (see Randy T's project--it's amazing). Its too much to ask for. Let the screams of scorn a derision begin. My priorities should b on my son, & getting my finances in order. I should drop this entire project, & put the money into our survival. But theres my arcade cab dream. It took me 5 years just to realize that what I was after had already been done, & that the 'Ghost' was it. & if any1 will take my money & parts, & build me this thing, I will worship the ground they walk on. God, that was embarrassing to admit. I hope u guys will forgive me for what I can only call my selfishness. My only poor excuses 4 not immediately dropping this project is that I have wanted & worked (in teeny, tiny steps) on this thing for 6 years, & it will b my 1 & only big toy, & that I will share it with any1 who asks. But I really don't feel that thats enuf to justify what I'm asking 4.

Anyway, guys, there it is. I'm going to bed in a few minutes; its almost 1 here, Harrison's tube feed is done (not that that keeps me up, I can sleep while its going, I just have to get up~every 30 minutes to untangle him from the tube & give the formula a stir, not a prob 4 me, & I never have a hard time getting back to sleep), & I have another busy day tomorrow. Thanks again, 4 your advice, your money (!), your offer of the cab, whether it happens or not (& regardless of what form it comes in), & your patience with a guy who (looking back at my last paragraph) has forgotten what his 1st priorities should b. I'll b in touch, I'll honour your suggestions (although it may take me a while, there r other things I have to take care of 1st), & my guilt may yet wake me up & make me drop this project & pour the money I've been hanging onto into my son's trust fund.

Craig Munns
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2012, 02:35:28 am »
Not to butt in. I haven't read all of icmgadget's post. I'm in a clifnotes mood.

Just a heads up. I just got a notice of changes of terms with PP. The biggest having to do with arbitration and class action lawsuits. I'm mentioning this to remind people to carefully read the PP terms while signing up and, due to PP's flaky history, it might be more prudent to withdraw the funds on some regular schedule instead of all at once to minimize the amount of funds that might be "frozen" by an overzealous PP. Remember, if PP freezes the account, funds can still be deposited into it, but none can be drawn.  :dizzy:

I'd rather icmgadget get the money and any accrued interest in his own account that lining the pockets of some greedy  :censored: at PP.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2012, 10:22:29 am »
I'd rather icmgadget get the money and any accrued interest in his own account that lining the pockets of some greedy  :censored: at PP.

Stupid reminder. This'll work IF u trust me. Somebody else pointed out; my story should b checked 1st. Even if u trust me, I'd like to c this subject continue to live after Harrison & I...don't need it anymore?...can get along without it?...are managing better on our own. & thats going to require confirming claims, or someday, somebody is going to take advantage of it/us (can I speak for 'us', meaning the other byoacers?) So how would I prove my story? I could send copies of the death certificate to prove she died, & a marriage certificate to prove she was my wife. But what about my claims about Harrison? Copies of doctor's letters? Seems thats overreaching a safe level of confidentiality. What if some1 had the job of back checking claims, collecting & keeping confidential papers, etc.?

Mayb, given that u guys (esp CheffoJeffo) have been so kind as to do this for H' & me, thats part of how I could pay it back, & forward. Except, again, theres a trust issue. Must b some way around it...

Craig
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2012, 10:58:18 am »
Except, again, theres a trust issue. Must b some way around it...

Craig

There is.  We can just trust you.  I do and I don't think that your providing sensitive documents is in your best interest.  Cheffo already did some fact checking via the local paper and that's good enough for me.  Anybody that wasn't good enough for wasn't going to contribute anyway. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2012, 11:10:20 am »

The plan is for me to set up some form of collection mechanism (likely Paypal but we're still hemming on that), and then at some point transfer the funds to Cheffo, and he will make an in person deposit at a Bank of Montreal branch.  I have had it as an unofficial part of the plan, as well, to wait until you finish your legal process for changing your account into a true trust for Harrison. 

Not that we don't believe you but that's just the smart way to do it for all involved.  I've been super cash strapped with dependents and I know how easy it is to grab whatever cash is on hand just to get through today.  That's just the reality of life so I'd rather wait until we can put it right into the trust and help him out in the longer view.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2012, 01:07:11 pm »

Not that we don't believe you but that's just the smart way to do it for all involved.  I've been super cash strapped with dependents and I know how easy it is to grab whatever cash is on hand just to get through today.  That's just the reality of life so I'd rather wait until we can put it right into the trust and help him out in the longer view.

I absolutely agree. I would feel much more comfortable with that fund locked down --BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type-- contributions r made. For reasons I'll go into if people want, I have some other money in the same account that I'm going to have to sort out --BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type-- everything is finished. & on that note, there will b another blasted delay. I was supposed to c the lawyer yesterday (not that we would have had it done by then, but we would have at least made some progress), but his secretary called me to say that he'd injured his back, & the appointment's been postponed til next monday. I think I mentioned that Laura didn't have a will? (We had been working on it, we had had 1 last appointment to sign the papers, & we'd had to cancel 4 medical reasons--I think thats when she was scheduled to go in to get her trach, which was, at that point, way more important than anything else). We had a lump of money saved up, which can carry H' & I for quite a while, possibly even a couple of years (I want to save as much of it as I can 4 him & my retirement, though) except that its in her name, & until the lawyer finishes probating (its not a true probate, I forget the term he used, but its effectively the same thing) the will, I can't get at it. We have another smaller lump in a joint account, & I'm working on getting other sources of funding that we weren't eligible 4 --BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type-- but now r. & there're family members who have promised to chip in if need b, & the credit card 4 emergencies. We should have enuf to carry us across the gap, while I try to figure out our expenses. But I can't help but worry. Anyway, my point is, now thats been a little postponed too. It'll work out though, I know.

I'm rambling again. Thank u, all of u, again. That'll b at the end of my posts, I think, 4 a very long time to come. Mayb permanently. In fact, I think I'll change my sig. (the Godzilla 1 is 1 of my all time favourite, though...lol)

Professor Hayashida

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2012, 02:11:50 pm »
Definitely easiest for me to do the deposit as my BMO branch is around the corner and international bank transfers can be a PITA.

I know I owe some of you replies to PMs -- sorry, in the midst of a crazy week.

Thanks for the notes and I will get back to you shortly.

TPA5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2017, 10:25:16 pm
  • Wanting A Cab
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2012, 07:07:55 pm »
I'd like to donate money, I cannot imagine the suffering you are going through. If there is any way for me to get you even $20...It's not much but I cannot in good conscience let this slip by without doing something, anything to help you.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2012, 09:53:59 pm »
I'd like to donate money, I cannot imagine the suffering you are going through. If there is any way for me to get you even $20...It's not much but I cannot in good conscience let this slip by without doing something, anything to help you.

No offer of help is too small. Hey, u guys owe me nothing. If anything, I've made a pig of myself with the insane...yeah, I've got to say 'request' I've made regarding the offer of an arcade cabinet. (Check my earlier posts)

But, I won't & can't turn down any offers of help--my son is too important to me. I'm sure all the parents out there will relate.

Craig
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2012, 03:58:29 pm »
Hello every1,

Just thot I'd let u know I saw the lawyer today, & we still haven't locked down the details of the trust fund yet. Still working on completing the 'certificate of appointment' (effectively probating the will, except there is no will). Will keep u all posted. Thanks again, as always.
Professor Hayashida

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2012, 05:43:58 pm »
no rush man, take your time.

don't go running yourself ragged. We are here for you when you're ready.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2012, 08:35:16 am »
Thanks. Yeah, its easy to run yourself ragged, I'm discovering. I had no idea there was so much to do...A point to every1: Get your wills finished, & share everything EVERYTHING with your significant other--passwords, contacts, bank accounts, bills, expenses, where the keys to X are, warranties, investments, insurance policies, manuals to everything, where the chargers r for X, projects, what've I missed, I know theres tons?--if u think they don't know it, SHARE it. Or write it down & lock it up somewhere, & let them know where it all is. My wife was a specialist in death & dying, & we weren't prepared. & if u haven't gone thru this, you'd b shocked how much there is that your other knows that u don't, that would make life a helluva lot easier.

Anyway, gotta get to it. Thanks again, every1.

Craig
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2012, 09:33:35 pm »
By the way, I've noticed this line in a # of my posts:

--BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type-- everything is finished.

I have no idea how thats getting into my posts, but  I'll swear I'm not typing it, & it doesn't mean anything. Sorry for the confusion.
Professor Hayashida

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2012, 09:40:21 pm »
 :lol :lol :lol there's a swearword filter on the site...if you have it enabled then some word like "s hit" (without the space of course) will come up as "meadow muffin"

but...saint kinda has a twisted sense of humor...and there are some regular words as well as some mistyped words (like "B 4") that come up with a silly phrase like that

steveh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 09:33:42 am
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2012, 09:01:22 am »
Id like to help let me know when donation method is setup and ill make a donation.  Sorry to hear about your loss.  I just hope the little we can provide helps.  and i hope someone here can make that dream cabinet for you.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2012, 09:04:52 am »
:lol :lol :lol there's a swearword filter on the site...if you have it enabled then some word like "s hit" (without the space of course) will come up as "meadow muffin"

but...saint kinda has a twisted sense of humor...and there are some regular words as well as some mistyped words (like "B 4") that come up with a silly phrase like that

That's hilarious! I'll try it: ' --BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type-- '. Omg, thats it! Guess I'll have to change my 'before' shorthand to 'bfore'.
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2012, 09:15:28 am »
Thanks, steveh. I'm working on getting that trust fund locked down. Seeing the lawyer again today, although I don't know if we'll get to the 'fund. I'll b sure to let every1 know as soon as its complete.

As 4 my 'dream cab', I sure appreciate the offer of any cab at all. Thats so far over the top, I can't believe it. I've been spreading the praise of u guys as far as I can. My sister was in here last nite, as a guest, reading over the posts. She was astounded, as I still am, at your incredible generosity.

I just hope I haven't made a pig of myself with my request for a specific cab, a white elephant, as Cheffo says (rightfully so). I hope my offer of cash & parts offset my greed. Anything I have left over, by the way, I intend to donate back to u guys. Perhaps any cash left over could go into a fund for the future, for any1 else on the forum who ends up in need.
Professor Hayashida

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 03:39:43 pm »
Saw the lawyer today. After 2 delays, we've finally got all the work done to process the 'certificate of appointment' I need completed before I have access to everything, like the few bank accounts that were in Laura's name only. I'm told it'll take about 3 weeks for the government to do their end. Only then does the lawyer want to talk about the trust fund. Everyone has been very patient so far, I hope u can wait a bit longer. Then I'll submit...what? Some sort of proof, or good evidence, at least, that I've gotten it locked down in Harrison's name. I'll send it to Cheffo, I guess, as he's led the charge in getting money together for the trust fund.

Between my UI, H's disability, the baby bonus, & the money saved (outside of that sent for the trust fund, of course), we should b able to last the 3 weeks, & then I can dip into other savings Laura had sole access to before (don't want to, those were for retirement & H', but we'll do what we have to). I've already paid most of the big 1 time xpenses (the funeral, cremation, lawyers fees r pending, however, & the certificate itself has to be paid for, but I can handle it). I'd like to thing that by we'll have ACSD helping us out soon as well; I finally got the application form.

In other news, I've started homeschooling, as planned, but very slowly. Started with reading over a week ago, & added math yesterday. As before, H' balks at any attempt to get him to do school work, but actually gets pretty good results.

As usual, everyone, thanks for your support, advise, and sympathy, & I'll keep u posted
Professor Hayashida

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2012, 11:45:57 am »
In other news, I've started homeschooling, as planned, but very slowly. Started with reading over a week ago, & added math yesterday. As before, H' balks at any attempt to get him to do school work, but actually gets pretty good results.

As usual, everyone, thanks for your support, advise, and sympathy, & I'll keep u posted

Great work.  This has to be exhausting and overwhelming.  Keep moving it forward one day at a time, my friend.  We're all pulling for you.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2012, 11:00:39 am »
Hi everyone. Thot I'd give a quick, but rather pointless, update. Still waiting for the 'Certificate of Appointment' to arrive. After that, its back to the lawyer to lock down Harrison's trust fund. Still no word about the autopsy. A friend of mine sent me a link to a rare disorder that MIGHT explain what happened. Its a long shot, but its the best I've seen so far: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereditary_angioedema
Professor Hayashida

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2012, 03:11:43 pm »

We're still here.  I'm ready to get things moving as soon as you have the trust sorted out.

Until then keep moving one step at a time.   :)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2012, 04:31:17 pm »
I am just now reading this thread, and I must admit I skipped over parts of some of the posts.
I am very sorry for your loss. I cannot pretend to know what you are going through, although, like many on here, I can relate.
I lost my little brother Stevie last year. He was "special" in that he was retarded (I can just now say that without a little denial), and he was "crippled" since birth. By crippled I mean he could never walk on his own, he could not even sit up straight on his own until he was 6 or 7.
My mom was a single mom and raised all of us including Stevie until she passed 13 years ago.
The doctors tried to get Momma to "give up" on Stevie and have him committed, but she refused to do it. One doctor even told her when he was a baby that he would not live past 12 years.
She didnt buy into that. Stevie was 50 when he passed last year.
He was a very bright person, and his attitude was one that I wish I could hang onto for as long as he did.
He loved music and going to his "work shop" every day. He also loved going to church.
He was a very big inspiration in my life.
I miss Stevie and my Mom. But I can assure you that with time each day gets a little better, but you will never forget your loved ones.
And even though you have a long road ahead of you with your son, trust me the love you will experience will be well worth it and rest assured that your wife is there with you, in your hearts and minds.
Hang in there man, and I will be more than happy to donate some money to your son's trust fund, just let us know when the time (and method) is right.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2012, 06:12:36 pm »
But I can assure you that with time each day gets a little better, but you will never forget your loved ones.

hear, hear.  :cheers:

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2012, 02:31:50 pm »
DaOld Man, I have been dry eyed for a couple of weeks now, until today, when I read your post. I am so sorry for your loss, both of your brother & your mother. I know some people will say 13 years ago is a long time, but u know different, don't u? I'm still grieving the loss of my parents (2 & 9? 8? years ago). My wife lost her mother (very tragically, as a chaplin she could say it was the worst of the thousands of deaths she'd witnessed--& not just bcause it was HER mother) 6? years ago, & she never recovered from it (it ruined her as a chaplin). She would tell us that every1 grieves differently, at different 'speeds', & in different ways, & that no one has the wisdom or right to tell u how or for how long u should grieve.

I still have my 3 siblings. Sometimes I start imagine losing 1 (fortunately I'm the oldest--I like to hope that means I'll b the 1st to go). When that happens, I quickly distract myself. In some ways, I think that would b worse than any loss I've known yet (I'd survive that, though. But if I ever lost my son...).

In other news, I'm still waiting for the 'Certificate. A bit of bad news--the respite hours we...I mean I...am getting from (I think) CPRI (I have a hard time remember who's doing what for us) r being cut from 8 hours a week to 5, despite the case worker's efforts to get them INCREASED (decreased funding, I'm told). ASDC might help, though, with funding that I can use for respite (not that I want to get away from my son, but there r things that have to b done that I can't do with him with me--like Christmas shopping).

I'm experiencing, as I knew & was told I would, the long lonely period that comes after the funeral is over & the family, friends, & other helpers have gone back to their own busy lives. So, maybe now more than ever, thanks again, everyone, for your continued sympathy & support.
Professor Hayashida

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2012, 03:33:40 pm »
(not that I want to get away from my son, but there r things that have to b done that I can't do with him with me--like Christmas shopping).

Sometimes you just have to get away.  I've done a little bit of this.  It's not about how much you love the person.  Sometimes you just have to go do something and be you again for 3 hours.  See a movie, eat a burger, take a nap.  It's not about being selfish.  It's basic mental health.  You can't be under constant pressure 24/7/365 no matter how much you love the person you are helping.

matt4949

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2021, 09:24:54 pm
  • Poor Kids Only Got To Watch Video Games
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2012, 08:44:32 pm »
Sorry I posted in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:46:34 pm by matt4949 »

linda john

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2012, 09:40:07 pm
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2012, 09:40:07 pm »
I love how this is taking off.

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2020, 10:19:28 pm
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2012, 12:56:07 am »
Sorry I've been out of the scene for a while, but I'd like to help where I can as well. I can offer artwork if it helps (would like to offer cash but we just aren't in a position to financially afford it right now :( ) If it helps, send me a PM & I'll do what I can.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2012, 09:53:42 pm »
Hi everyone.

First, happy holidays.

I have some news. First, at long last, I have the Certificate of Appointment. Hopefully, I'll b able to get to the bank tomorrow & begin the process of locking down Harrison's trust fund. I have to talk to my financial planner, too. Laura & I had been putting money into an RDSP, which, unless the 'planner tells me otherwise, is the best first option, so I plan to max that out. Any remainder will probably go into a Henson trust fund, which I'll have to get back in touch with the lawyer to work out. This was something Laura & I'd been working on, with the help of the lawyer, before everything...went to hell. The lawyer himself was still figuring out exactly how it worked last time we talked. So it'll b a bit yet, but I'm over the next hurdle.

The autopsy. For those who haven't been following the 'I never thot I'd b posting anything like this...' thread, I'll tell u what I posted there. The ENT specialist who'd been working with Laura, & who begged me to allow an autopsy to b done, got back to me a few days ago. The autopsy showed...nothing. No lymphoma (which we already knew). No allergic reaction (which they'd been looking for already for some time). No infection. No sign of a blood clot in the lungs, or heart trouble (that was what the ENT doctor thot it'd turn out to b). No HAE (a long shot--hereditary angio edema).  & no sign of swelling in the throat (which I'll STILL say was what happened, despite the surgery & the steroids), including no sign of trauma to the throat caused by them tubulating her when she got to the hospital--another sign that there was no swelling. I'm continuing to look for other possibilities, not so much because I want to know as I'm worried about the possibility that it could have been something hereditary, & that Harrison might be at risk. But odds are we will probably never know.

And so. Life goes on. I'll post as soon as I can about further developments--especially regarding the trust fund. Thank you again, everyone, &, Happy New Year.

Craig
Professor Hayashida

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2012, 10:34:37 am »

Thanks for the update.  We're all holding out hope for you that you'll find some answers.  Keep us updated on the trust fund situation.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2013, 10:33:49 pm »
Hi again everyone.

I got to see my financial planner 2 days ago, & maxxed out Harrison's RDSP contribution for this year ($2000). In Febuary I find out how much I can contribute for this year (& will do so--it has the best return of anything Laura & I could find; the government matches every dollar contributed (to a limit)), & I also see the lawyer to work out the details for the Henson Trust Fund that Laura & I had begun. So I've started the trust fund at last. If someone had told me in October that it was going to take this long to get things rolling, I wouldn't have believed them. But I'm finally getting the money moving.
Professor Hayashida

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2013, 08:58:18 am »

Is the trust fund ready for us?

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2013, 02:19:23 pm »

Is the trust fund ready for us?

Not yet, I'm afraid. Sorry its taking so long. Actually, I thot u & the others here had already made a donation to H's bank account--that's what I get for not checking the account activity, which I've been meaning to do for some time (& have to--a number of people have donated to that account, & I have had to put some other funds in there that have to b allocated to other things, &, needless to say, I have to get figured out whats what. But it shouldn't b too hard).

I go to see the lawyer to set up the trust fund on January 29th. Going by past record, & by how complicated the Henson trust fund seems to be to get set up, I doubt it'll b done then. But I'm on it.

& thanks again, everyone, for your bottomless patience, & your generosity. I, Harrison, our extended family & friends will always be grateful.
Professor Hayashida

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2013, 03:29:07 pm »

I have not yet set up a way for people to donate.  I don't want to collect money and sit on it waiting for the lawyers to do their thing.  I can't think of anything to gain from doing that.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2013, 05:55:35 pm »
Don't worry everyone, It's not a big deal. This will happen.

I know we're all eager to help out, but there is a due process that needs to happen. Lot's of other priority things need to be taken care of. Craig has a heapload of crap on his plate and he's gagging it down one spoon at a time, the best he can.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2013, 09:44:18 pm »
Warning, I'm about to whine.

he's gagging it down one spoon at a time

I couldn't have described it better myself.

...& I'm sorry for whining, but u hit the nail so well on the head...
Professor Hayashida

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2013, 12:48:28 am »
Warning, I'm about to whine.

he's gagging it down one spoon at a time

I couldn't have described it better myself.

...& I'm sorry for whining, but u hit the nail so well on the head...

not at all. everyone is entitled.   ;)

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2013, 09:13:41 pm »
Sorry its been awhile, everyone, as usual, my excuse is excessive busy-ness.

Trust fund still pending. I saw the lawyer, & he told me the bank is the place to set up the 'fund. I should have been clearer what I wanted, because when I went to the bank they told me if I want it set up so that no one (including me) can draw from it (until conditions r met--I'm thinking the fund should b inaccessible until hes 18, & that after that he can draw from it freely, unless hes judged incompetent (not likely--hes high functioning) in which case his guardian (me, probably) would have access to it to attend to his needs) I need to talk to the lawyer.

Sigh. I go back to the lawyer on the 12th. I also hope to have my will completed then. I'll say it again--if u haven't prepared a will, GET IT DONE.

Craig
Professor Hayashida

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2013, 10:45:28 am »

No problem, we're here, it's not stressing anyone out to wait.  Get to it when you can and let us know.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2013, 11:27:00 pm »
Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been in touch for a while. I've been workin on some stuff wth my son, & its been eating up a lot of time.

About the trust--I had a brain storm about a week ago that made me realize what an idiot I am. Harrison has an RDSP, & I had just maxed it out for the year (maxed out in the sense that I contributed the most that I can that the government will match), when it occured to me that that is what I could have offered to people who wanted to help. I could have done this all the way back in October, I'll bet, if I'd moved quicker. Anyway, a financial planner is looking into it now to make sure that there are no problems with over-contributing (I'm hoping any over contributions are government-matched NEXT year--the 'planner's looking into it), that its locked in so that no one can touch it but Harrison, when he can get at it, & how people other than me go about contributing.

Anyway, sorry for my stupidity. So many have been so patient & so kind for so long. We truly, truly appreciate it.
Professor Hayashida

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2013, 02:36:58 pm »

Don't worry about it.  It's a trust so it's not like he is going to be using these funds immediately.  We're just trying to top the tank off a bit so it is fuller later on. 

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2013, 06:50:52 pm »
Hi everyone. Well, I'm still waiting to hear from the financial planner about the ins & outs of an RDSP. Story I've heard is that his assistant quit on him, & the replacement he hired didn't stay either, so hes trying to do everything himself. I'll call him again soon if I don't hear anything.

& I've been thinking...(I often find this's a bad idea, but...). Some time back I asked if there was anyone out there who would build my dream cab for me, & offered money towards that end. The more I think about it--I've slowly come to realize that I need to b the one to build this thing. Not only is it selfish & ridiculous of me to ask (even when I'm offering cash), but this's been my baby all along (with credits for the design & plans going to all those who I'm 'stealing' them from (primarily weisshaupt--c the thread on the amazing 'Ghost in the Machine Mark II' for those very few who haven't, & Randy T--c the 'LCD marquee project')), & I suspect that the 'adventure' of the build (the knowledge I'll gain, the pride & confidence of a great project completed, the indepth understanding of a self-built cab that'll help with repairs/maintenance/upgrades, etc.) will far outway simply getting to play the classics (however great that is). I don't know how I'll pull this off, with no space to work in, very limited tools (that ones's easily solved, I know), my limited understanding/experience with woodworking/wiring (again, the mountains of great posts here pretty much eliminate that 1), &, biggest problem of all: No time. But if its not me, I think I'll always feel that I somehow failed.

Anyway, more on this later. Harrison's begging for food (lol).

Thanks, as always, for everyone's patience, sympathy, & understanding.
Professor Hayashida

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2013, 04:24:11 pm »
But if its not me, I think I'll always feel that I somehow failed.

I totally get that.  Maybe the best thing here is building a small and simple MAME cab for yourself, one that doesn't require a ton of woodworking tools, so you have the accomplishment.  Short term that could be done in short working sessions.  By finishing that cab you would gain enough of the skills you lack right now so that tackling the big fancy project is a lot less daunting later on.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2013, 02:51:49 pm »
Maybe the best thing here is building a small and simple MAME cab for yourself, one that doesn't require a ton of woodworking tools, so you have the accomplishment.  Short term that could be done in short working sessions.  By finishing that cab you would gain enough of the skills you lack right now so that tackling the big fancy project is a lot less daunting later on.

Hmmm. Darn it, that makes sense...but boy, I'd sure like to start on the dream cab right off...I may have another way. A friend I've recently made has a workshop (says he needs to 'just clean it up, & it'll b ready again'), does some pretty incredible work himself, & says he'd help me with my project I haven't had a chance to show him just what I'm after, though...lol. He might change his mind when he finds out.
Professor Hayashida

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2020, 11:02:02 pm
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2014, 04:41:01 pm »
Whatever happened with this?  I just read the thread today.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2014, 12:50:38 am »
Sorry, I haven't been around for a while, real life has gotten in the way. I've finally realized that I've got to focus on getting an income--our savings continue to slip away, & I do not want them to run dry--that money was for our future. So what fly speck of free time I have I've been using to get our basement converted into an apartment. The money we should b able to earn from it should balance our budget, & maybe even provide a little more for savings.

As for the trust fund, I finally became convinced that there's simply no way to do it the way I wanted. In the thread that 'inspired' this 1, I finally simply posted contact info for anyone who thinks they can trust me to send money. All I can offer is a promise that it'll go only to Harrison. & so things kinda stalled out there. I still have a hard time believing there's no way to do this--if anyone has any ideas, please share (why didn't I think of this sooner?!).
Professor Hayashida

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2020, 11:02:02 pm
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2014, 12:39:56 pm »
no Worries...I didn't follow this thread.  I just came across it late.  I hope you guys are doing well. :cheers: