Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Desktop as web page (tech trick help please)  (Read 2248 times)

GadgetMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • Since he beginning of time, we've all been morons
    • The Gadget-Cade Project
Desktop as web page (tech trick help please)
« on: May 10, 2002, 12:47:09 pm »
I found the perfect way to fix up the gadget-cade windoiws background for the arcade cab.  I designed it as a web page, and used pics as icons.  When I link them to files on myh HD though, every clicked one opens a dialogue box asking me to open or save.  It treats the files as a download, yet I think its because they're .exe files and have the "ask first" checkbox set in file types.

Anyway of overriding it for locally stored files, so they just "open"?  I don't want to compromise my file types for those types of files over then internet.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
Re: Desktop as web page (tech trick help please)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 07:43:57 pm »
Gadget, haven't seen you around here for a while.

Hmmm well first of all, I like your idea about using the Active Desktop to launch stuff....Amazing...Active desktop is actually good for something!!

Regarding your problem, I don't think there is anyway to ignore the download box just for those files but still have it come up for all other EXE's on the internet...

But I would try perhaps a DOS batch file that runs the EXE...This might work.  And have the images link to this batch file.

Or, if you know anything about PERL (I don't know much), but it is basically sort of like a batch scripting language for Windows (and other OSes).  You could do a similar batch thing perhaps by writing a perl script maybe...any perl boys out there to help me on this one?

Jakobud

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2002, 03:05:05 pm »
Sorry guyz abandon all hope now.  Rd started out as an active desktop experiment.  After consulting several webdesigners, accredited programmers and all out geekly people, it was determined by me that it's impossible to link to any file in straight html without that box popping up.  Any file that does not have a registered IE plugin associated with it will give you that message. The only way would be to make one of these plugins for .lnk files (shortcut files)  and make shortcuts in hidden folders that you link to.  This is much more difficult than it sounds.  You could learn a decent coding language before you could figure it out.  

GadgetMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • Since he beginning of time, we've all been morons
    • The Gadget-Cade Project
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2002, 03:44:34 pm »
[be to make one of these plugins for .lnk files (shortcut files)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2002, 08:10:37 pm »
Yeah there in lies the problem.... .lnk files, exe files and bat files are all handled by windows internally and are almost hard-coded into the very core of the os.  I have had moderate succes in circumventing this, but the problem is that these files are of such a crucial type that when you do so it screws up the rest of windows.  So in essence you could link to the exe's properly, but would have no way of running them, which defeats the purpose.  If you can think of anything though I'll be gald to help anyway I can.