Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

First Driving Cab Setup....Need some emulator control help?

<< < (2/9) > >>

BadMouth:

--- Quote from: junkmailjame on October 07, 2012, 11:19:38 pm ---Thanks again for the help. I gave ppjoy a shot and it did work a point but was really shaky. I am wondering if the pot conversion is the way to go.

Provided the optical encoder is attached via a 1/4 shaft, how would i attach a pot and which specific radio shack pot do you recommend?

Thanks you very much.

--- End quote ---

It's been a long time since I used ppjoy so I don't remember if there are any options for smoothing it out.
You might try calibrating the fake joystick it creates in windows.
I wouldn't give up on the software solution yet.

Any linear taper potentiometer would work with the A-Pac.

I'm usually hooking the controls up to a hacked logitech wheel, so I have to use whatever value potentiometer it originally used.  (usually 50k or 100k)
Your pedals and most arcade pots are 5k.
Any of these would work:
http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=linear%20taper%20potentiometer&origkw=linear+taper+potentiometer&sr=1
If the potentiometer shaft is easy to couple to the steering shaft, it would just be a matter of taking a $2 strip of metal from a home improvement store, drilling a 5/16" mounting hole toward one end, and bending it to hold the pot in the correct position.
(......if the potentiometer shaft can drop right in where the encoder wheel or gear was)

junkmailjame:
Thank you for the help. Well I have decided to stick with the software for now.

One issue I am having is I cannot seem to get my pedal to assign in MAME. I have tried numerous versions but no luck. It is a pot attached to the a-pac. When I press down on the pedal it scrolls through the different buttons, but after hitting enter it will not assign anything when the pedal is pressed.

I am pulling my hair out but cannot figure out where I am going wrong.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks again.

BadMouth:

--- Quote from: junkmailjame on October 16, 2012, 12:51:50 am ---Thank you for the help. Well I have decided to stick with the software for now.

One issue I am having is I cannot seem to get my pedal to assign in MAME. I have tried numerous versions but no luck. It is a pot attached to the a-pac. When I press down on the pedal it scrolls through the different buttons, but after hitting enter it will not assign anything when the pedal is pressed.

I am pulling my hair out but cannot figure out where I am going wrong.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks again.

--- End quote ---

First off, you need to "de-assign" the joystick inputs under Input(General) in MAME's in game menu (tab)
Under User Interface, change UI up, UI down, etc so they only use the keyboard keys.
(they probably say "UP or Joy1UP"....or something like that)
That will keep it from scrolling while you're trying to map.

Also make sure ENTER is still mapped to UI select (or something like that)

junkmailjame:
Thanks again for all the help. Ok, I "de-assigned" the UI keys.

Still no luck.

I know the pedal works since I checked it in windows (when I press it down, the joystick cross hairs go down).

If it helps, I am using the latest version of MameUI64. Thanks again for all your help.

BadMouth:

--- Quote from: junkmailjame on October 17, 2012, 11:14:58 am ---Thanks again for all the help. Ok, I "de-assigned" the UI keys.

Still no luck.

I know the pedal works since I checked it in windows (when I press it down, the joystick cross hairs go down).

If it helps, I am using the latest version of MameUI64. Thanks again for all your help.

--- End quote ---

Did you enable the joystick in mame.ini ?
(joystick=1 instead of joystick=0)
There's probably a place to do it in MameUI, but I havent' used it.

I assumed it was enabled since pressing down on the pedal was making it scroll through the list of inputs, but maybe it still works for that if not enabled.

Also, make sure you only map it to the PEDAL input, not PEDAL INC or PEDAL DEC.
There is an option under analogue controls to reverse the input if needed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version